Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Attention! You consumed minibar 'ABOVE AVERAGE'!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2012, 6:55 am

Location: MEL, PER, PBO, occasionally ships, oil rigs and other places that no sane human being should ever find themselves
Programs: IHG RA, PC Plat, QF Plat/LTS
Originally Posted by unfrequentflyer
I wonder, as an RA, am I allow to use the minibar to get my date drunk so I can have my way? haha
Originally Posted by lallyr
Technically its only for a RA's use.
Aren't you two basically saying the same thing?
Old Aug 10, 2012, 9:59 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
I received a apology email that they had made a mistake and that my usage wasn't above average.
I think you should write back and explain that you are feeling uneasy about coming back and accidentially consuming above average. You should therefore know exactly what level is considered "above average". This would of course also factor into your decision to stay with them or elsewhere.

HTB.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by htb
I think you should write back and explain that you are feeling uneasy about coming back and accidentially consuming above average. You should therefore know exactly what level is considered "above average". This would of course also factor into your decision to stay with them or elsewhere.

HTB.
Not worth it IMHO. Its obvious they are just sending out routine emails on random stays or how else would I have got this?

I think its bad customer service to say you have free something and then tell you off for using it.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:44 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
I think its tacky to say you have free something and then tell you off for using it.
For me it would be downright offensive, although I realize others could laugh it off.

It would be like being called out at an all-you-can-eat buffet as in this scene from Curb Your Enthusiasm.

To watch Larry subsequently hire the lawyer in this scene to handle his divorce - and who proves to be absolutely incompetent - you'd have to watch the whole episode.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Fredd
For me it would be downright offensive, although I realize others could laugh it off.
I was highly offended. I have heard of some RA's who abuse the system and get mini bar refilled even during the night but I hardly touched the mini bar and got such a rude email from them.

Hey either offer the benefit or don't. What's next? When you get a good upgrade will they send a letter to say that it was unfair and you shouldn't have enjoyed it.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:52 am

Aren't half of all people above average?
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:00 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by largeeyes
Roughly. See janetdoe's amusing post (#7 in this thread).

The concept of "average minibar consumption" makes no practical sense and offers no helpful guidance to hotel guests. What if we shower for longer than "average" or flush the lavatory more often than "average"?

Coming soon: rebates for "below average" minibar consumption.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:20 am
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by scienm

'We were informed by the InterContinental Shanghai Expo that no empty bottles were found in your room
I'm gonna start bringing my own empties...
Old Aug 10, 2012, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by IMH

The concept of "average minibar consumption" makes no practical sense and offers no helpful guidance to hotel guests. What if we shower for longer than "average" or flush the lavatory more often than "average"?
Is toilet flushing an RA benefit now? Is it only the RA who has toilet flushing privileges or is this benefit extended to all registered occupants of the RA's room? As a lowly Ambassador must I leave proof that I haven't flushed the toilet ?
Old Aug 10, 2012, 1:45 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Is toilet flushing an RA benefit now?
My (badly made) point was that very few hotel guests will be "average" in all respects and it all probably balances out in the end. It would take a lot of very thirsty RAs to significantly increase "average" consumption.

Even if we stay strictly on topic and stick to the minibar: common sense and arithmetic tell us that many guests (roughly half) have "below average" consumption. I don't enjoy brandy, vodka, cola or flavoured water, for instance, and don't suddenly decide to drink them just because they're available free in a minibar or lounge. I'll drink the bottled water if I'm in a country where bottled water makes sense, otherwise that can stay in the fridge as well. So in those hotels where spirits and soft drinks make up 80-90% of the minibar's contents my consumption will be well "below average".

This could change if there's decent beer or wine available and I don't have an early morning appointment...
Old Aug 10, 2012, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by IMH
So in those hotels where spirits and soft drinks make up 80-90% of the minibar's contents my consumption will be well "below average".

This could change if there's decent beer or wine available and I don't have an early morning appointment...
But then your toilet flushing will tend to the above average
Old Aug 11, 2012, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by largeeyes
To that point, it was the Cartalk guys who said think of your average stupid person. And isn't it scary to realize that half of the population is stupider than that?!
Old Aug 11, 2012, 12:29 am
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Thumbs up Outstanding Repsonse!

Originally Posted by janetdoe
Roughly speaking, about 50% of all minibar consumption is 'above average'.

Tell them that, as a Royal Ambassador, you are accustomed to being in the top few percent of all IC customers. You are sorry that your minibar consumption was only 'above average'. You will work hard to elevate your performance so that you consistently fall within the top percentile of all IC minibar consumption on future stays.
I like the way you think (-;
Old Aug 11, 2012, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I hear some ICs have started handing out gift-bags of miniatures at heck-out to RAs under-performing on mini-bar consumption.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 5:06 am

Programs: QF Emerald EY Plat HH D
I wish I was at that hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.