Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Attention! You consumed minibar 'ABOVE AVERAGE'!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2012, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IC Dia RA / Marriott LT Plat / WOH Globalist / Hilton Diamond / OZ Diamond Plus
Attention! You consumed minibar 'ABOVE AVERAGE'!

I stayed IC Shanghai EXPO last week and I've got an email from Ambassador Services today.

'the hotel has notified us that there was an above average consumption from the mini-bar during your stay, and we would like to bring this to your attention. The mini bar privilege is meant for your personal consumption in your guest room and only during your stay, it is not to be used for entertainment purposes.'

I stayed 2 nights with my friend(me and 1 person) and I consumed 2 champaign, 1 red wine, 2 beer, Whiskys, Some sodas for my entire stay. I consumed within the limit of standard minibar.
It was my personal consumption, in my guest room and only during my stay of course.

Did I something wrong? I'm so upset about this situation.
Complimentary Minibar is one of the most important privilege being Royal Ambassador and that's why I stay with IHG more than 60 nights.
And now they are saying I consumed 'above average' so I have to be cautious.
I think this is an important issue.
I've been a royal ambassador for 2 years but I've never got an email like this.

What do you think about it?

Do not stay IC Shanghai EXPO. If you are a Royal Ambassador and consume mini-bar 'above average', they will notify to IHG that you violated sth and consumed too much.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Updated.

The Ambassador Services replied to me.

'We were informed by the InterContinental Shanghai Expo that no empty bottles were found in your room and that the total amount of your consumed beverages did not tally to be consumed for personal consumption.'

It's horrible. The hotel did count empty bottles to check on my consumption of the mini-bar. More horrible thing is, the hotel informed to IHG that there were no empty bottles at all.

Fortunately, I have a picture of the second night, drinking moment.
There are many bottles of alcohol, sodas and a cheese plate by In-Room Dining in the picture of the ROOM.

I sent an email again with the picture to get an apology from both the hotel and the ambassador services. Apologies are all I want to get from them.

From now on, RAs should be careful about numbers between consumption and empty bottles.

Last edited by scienm; Mar 20, 2012 at 9:48 am
Old Mar 16, 2012, 9:14 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Talking

Originally Posted by scienm
I stayed IC Shanghai EXPO last week and I've got an email from Ambassador Services today.

'the hotel has notified us that there was an above average consumption from the mini-bar during your stay, and we would like to bring this to your attention. The mini bar privilege is meant for your personal consumption in your guest room and only during your stay, it is not to be used for entertainment purposes.'

I stayed 2 nights with my friend(me and 1 person) and I consumed 2 champaign, 1 red wine, 2 beer, Whiskys, Some sodas for my entire stay. I consumed within the limit of standard minibar.
It was my personal consumption, in my guest room and only during my stay of course.

Complimentary Minibar is one of the most important privilege being Royal Ambassador and that's why I stay with IHG more than 60 nights.

Do not stay IC Shanghai EXPO. If you are a Royal Ambassador and consume mini-bar 'above average', they will notify to IHG that you violated sth and consumed too much.
Wait until you get the e-mail admonishing you about your excessive bath towel use!
Old Mar 16, 2012, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Silver
Wow! I can't say that I think this is overly excessive. Maybe if you drank the entire mini bar they could send you a letter, or if you often drank most of it! Yikes! I would not be happy, and I might send a letter back asking what they consider is acceptable for free.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IC Dia RA / Marriott LT Plat / WOH Globalist / Hilton Diamond / OZ Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
Wait until you get the e-mail admonishing you about your excessive bath towel use!
Ye... mini-bar, bath towel.. what's going to be next..?
Old Mar 16, 2012, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HSmartt
Wow! I can't say that I think this is overly excessive. Maybe if you drank the entire mini bar they could send you a letter, or if you often drank most of it! Yikes! I would not be happy, and I might send a letter back asking what they consider is acceptable for free.
Even if I consumed entire mini-bar, it's RA's privilege. They can't say I have to be cautious to consume mini-bar.
As you said, they don't know what 'free' meaning.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Hertz PC

I'd write them back, thanking them for bringing this to your attention. Ask them to send you the guidelines around mini-bar utilization...so that you can be sure to stay within an appropriate standard deviation. Also, promise them that if they continue to send you harassing emails making such claims, that you will happily take your business elsewhere. Then, thank them again for their concern and monitoring of your mini-bar consumption.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 9:45 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Roughly speaking, about 50% of all minibar consumption is 'above average'.

Tell them that, as a Royal Ambassador, you are accustomed to being in the top few percent of all IC customers. You are sorry that your minibar consumption was only 'above average'. You will work hard to elevate your performance so that you consistently fall within the top percentile of all IC minibar consumption on future stays.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 9:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Dia, PC RA, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
I think this is an important issue.

I think it is important issue too. Free Mini-bar is what it is.
They can't invade RA's privilege like this.

I booked IC Shanghai EXPO for next week, but I'll change it to SPG or Marriott. It's horrible. Thank you for your info.

Next time, when you stay at IC in China, you should call to GRO and ask "Can I drink this water?"
"Did I drink above average?".

Last edited by tskim; Mar 16, 2012 at 10:00 pm
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:05 pm

Programs: QF Emerald EY Plat HH D
I presume the champagnes and wine are 375ml or 200ml bottles so no that is certainly not excessive in 2 nights!!!
I think its dreadful that they commented.
Ill stay clear of there.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:09 pm

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Thumbs down

This case,

this http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...e-arrival.html

and
this http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...ic-suzhou.html

is ridiculous.

I would like to see IHG Care take care of this matter.

[edit - my language was a bit harsh here]

Last edited by Chinatrvl; Mar 16, 2012 at 11:27 pm
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by janetdoe
-snip-
You will work hard to elevate your performance so that you consistently fall within the top percentile of all IC minibar consumption on future stays.
^

Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
-snip-

I would like to see IHG Care take care of this matter.

-snip-
I agree....

Did AMB Services actually send out this email after notification from the hotel?
Old Mar 17, 2012, 12:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CokeandTaco
^

I agree....

Did AMB Services actually send out this email after notification from the hotel?
Yes. it's from ambassador services. The detailed information is below,
Ms. Mhadz Dalangin
Ambassador Services
Tel: +44 (0) 871 942 9099
+1 888 211 7996
Fax: +44 (0) 870 400 9010
E-mail: [email protected]
Old Mar 17, 2012, 12:21 am
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Just tell them you had been dealing with PC customer service and it drove you to drink more than normal to compensate .
Old Mar 17, 2012, 12:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aussielori
I presume the champagnes and wine are 375ml or 200ml bottles so no that is certainly not excessive in 2 nights!!!
I think its dreadful that they commented.
Ill stay clear of there.
As you said, champagne and wine are 375ml bottles. It's dreadful both the hotel and Ambassador Services.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 1:50 am

I foresee the day when complimentary in-room condoms are a Royal Ambassador benefit and the hotels start notifying Ambassador Services when a guest's usage is above average

I wonder if the hotel has a similar policy of notifying PC Customer Service when a regular guest has above average paid minibar consumption.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.