Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Recent discussion (After January 01, 2016) could be found in this thread.

Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2013, 4:36 pm
ffj

Programs: AA, ExPlat, DL Sil, UAL Sil, Hilt Dia, Marr Plat
Originally Posted by turner32
I have just done everything that you talk about doing and this minute received a response. I cancelled my original approved BRG, and re-submitted for a better hotel/location. Even though I cancelled my claim, they still class it as a valid on their system and therefore are unable to approve another.
Thank you.... Will stick with what I have then. The hotel I want to switch from had no record of a previous BRG claim... Brought documentation... they called BRG line, and all was well... Just odd that they had no record of it.
Old May 2, 2013, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold (4 life), Delta Platinum, Starwood Gold, IC RA
BRG at Alliance Hotels

Can one claim the best night guarantee rate at Alliance hotels (ie Montelucia/Venetian) when booking an advanced purchase rate.
I am about to book for July on an Advance Purchase Rate and noticed that the Expedia rate for the same hotel is significantly cheaper on a pre-paid rate for the same number of nights on the same dates. The fully refundable rate is the same. Advanced Purchase Rate difference is $97 for the first night and $96 cheaper for the other 2 nights. Wouldn't make an issue over $5-$10/night, but the difference is huge.
Old May 2, 2013, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA Gold (4 life), Delta Platinum, Starwood Gold, IC RA
Originally Posted by kleinms
Can one claim the best night guarantee rate at Alliance hotels (ie Montelucia/Venetian) when booking an advanced purchase rate.
I am about to book for July on an Advance Purchase Rate and noticed that the Expedia rate for the same hotel is significantly cheaper on a pre-paid rate for the same number of nights on the same dates. The fully refundable rate is the same. Advanced Purchase Rate difference is $97 for the first night and $96 cheaper for the other 2 nights. Wouldn't make an issue over $5-$10/night, but the difference is huge.
No need to respond. BRG honored by IHG for the booking.
Old May 3, 2013, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by ffj
I have a BRG approved for a Holiday Inn. I would prefer a second location within 50 miles of that location, for that night. If I cancel the first approved BRG reservation, and then make a new reservation at the second location and submit a BRG for the second location, on the same night, will the second BRG be denied as a violation of the T&C? Any experience with this? Thank you.
The T&C stays very clearly that once a claim is approved a that day, no more claims will be approved for the same date.

Should be happy with a free night.
Old May 3, 2013, 5:41 am

Programs: IHG
Originally Posted by nacho
The T&C stays very clearly that once a claim is approved a that day, no more claims will be approved for the same date.

Should be happy with a free night.

Ffj probably is happy with his free night. What's wrong with him exploring further options?
Old May 3, 2013, 6:11 am

Programs: IHG
As it happened, I couldn't be where I had my BRG anyway. Needed to be in another city, so it wasn't a problem for me. Not that it's got anything to do with you, of course.
Old May 4, 2013, 6:06 am
ffj

Originally Posted by turner32
Ffj probably is happy with his free night. What's wrong with him exploring further options?
I am happy with it..

Another story:

Had a BRG approved for one night stay. Arrived at hotel to check in. Hotel had no record of BRG claim, even though a hotel supervisor had approved the claim a month before. Hotel made some calls to BRG customer service and hotel agreed to the free night. When I checked out the next morning, rate was now full fare. Showed the morning hotel staff all the documentation (again). Called hotel later that day and they said that they do not participate in the BRG. Spoke with BRG customer service and they said ALL hotels in system are required to abide by BRG. Hotel would not back down, Bottom Line: BRG customer service is sending me a check for the room and tax. Lesson learned: BRG customer service is very helpful. Of course, this would be an easy one to contest on one’s credit card, given all the documentation.
Old May 4, 2013, 8:13 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by ffj
Bottom Line: BRG customer service is sending me a check for the room and tax. Lesson learned: BRG customer service is very helpful. Of course, this would be an easy one to contest on one’s credit card, given all the documentation.
Good that BRG dept is going to send you the money. However cc company would not be obliged to intervene. You paid the hotel to give you the room for the night, and the hotel gave you the room. It is the BRG dept that promised to make it a night free. A promise from a 3rd party can have no impact whatsoever contractual on your credit card transaction with the hotel. As I have said previously, it is like ME promising you to give you the hotel night free. How can a credit card company intervene based on the fact that *I* promised that the hotel wouldn't charge you for the hotel.

BRG dept is part of IHG group. Hotel is NOT part of the group, it is a totally different commercial entity, and merely pays IHG for the use of the name, and for advertising and promoting the hotel. Any time I make a booking, it is the name of the hotel that charges to my credit card, not IHG.
Old May 4, 2013, 8:28 am

Programs: QF, LM, AA,VA Silver, Qatar, Accor Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott B Plat
Originally Posted by tangey
Good that BRG dept is going to send you the money. However cc company would not be obliged to intervene. You paid the hotel to give you the room for the night, and the hotel gave you the room. It is the BRG dept that promised to make it a night free. A promise from a 3rd party can have no impact whatsoever contractual on your credit card transaction with the hotel. As I have said previously, it is like ME promising you to give you the hotel night free. How can a credit card company intervene based on the fact that *I* promised that the hotel wouldn't charge you for the hotel.

BRG dept is part of IHG group. Hotel is NOT part of the group, it is a totally different commercial entity, and merely pays IHG for the use of the name, and for advertising and promoting the hotel. Any time I make a booking, it is the name of the hotel that charges to my credit card, not IHG.
Do you know that for a fact....as my credit card company refunded me for a similar situation. BRG ignitially approved it then both hotel and BRG denied the claim.
Old May 4, 2013, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Rusell
Do you know that for a fact....as my credit card company refunded me for a similar situation. BRG ignitially approved it then both hotel and BRG denied the claim.
It is a fact that the contract that you entered into is between you and the hotel. you contracted to pay the hotel a rate, and the hotel contracted to provide you with said room.

It is a fact that the promise of that night being a free night was made by a 3rd party (IHG) that is neither the vendor nor the purchaser in the credit card transaction.

Whether a particular cc company decides in a particular instance to refund due to goodwill or another reason, does not mean either of those two facts are incorrect, nor does it mean that they are legally obliged to do so.
Old May 4, 2013, 12:54 pm
ffj

It is a fact that the contract that you entered into is between you and the hotel. you contracted to pay the hotel a rate, and the hotel contracted to provide you with said room.

It is a fact that the promise of that night being a free night was made by a 3rd party (IHG) that is neither the vendor nor the purchaser in the credit card transaction.

Whether a particular cc company decides in a particular instance to refund due to goodwill or another reason, does not mean either of those two facts are incorrect, nor does it mean that they are legally obliged to do so.
To further clarify, the hotel agent agreed that the night was to be comped. The form I signed in with at the hotel indicated that, with the rate crossed out and BRG inserted next to it. That was our contract. They then changed their mind.....
Old May 4, 2013, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by ffj
To further clarify, the hotel agent agreed that the night was to be comped. The form I signed in with at the hotel indicated that, with the rate crossed out and BRG inserted next to it. That was our contract. They then changed their mind.....
Yours is indeed a different situation from most, as you have some paperwork from the hotel agreeing to a change in the contract. They might of course try to weasel out by saying the paperwork wasn't changed by them. But as IHG has already agreed to pay out, you should be fine,
Old May 4, 2013, 3:15 pm
ffj

Yours is indeed a different situation from most, as you have some paperwork from the hotel agreeing to a change in the contract. They might of course try to weasel out by saying the paperwork wasn't changed by them. But as IHG has already agreed to pay out, you should be fine,
Yes, it should be fine. The bigger concern is that a hotel would misrepresent the situation for so little money. Will post when the check arrives to close out this situation.
Old May 4, 2013, 4:02 pm

Absolutely NOT TRUE, and you've stated this before, but this not accurate.

The laws are quite simple and the logic simple to understand why you are incorrect. The hotels, whether or not they are owned by IHG directly, agree to abide by ALL Terms and Restrictions on IHG's site if they are listed on there and the reservation is booked through that channel, as the credit card information is entered in on that site. Your assertion that the hotel does not have to agree to the BRG would basically mean that the hotel was free reign to make up their own rules after the charge goes through...including making up their own cancellation fees, adjusting the rate as they see fit, etc. The fact of the matter is, the consumer laws are very straight forward in this matter. If the hotel receives the booking via IHG's website, they have to agree to all terms or not accept the reservation at all, just as a consumer has to agree to all terms prior to booking.

Now, if a guest were to book a hotel directly on the hotel's own website (separate from IHG's), then the hotel would have the right to decline the BRG and the credit card companies would not honor the request to invalidate the charge.

This isnt just me spouting off my own interpretation of the laws, either I had this happen several times where there was a discrepancy with my total charges versus what the hotel brand's website stated, and the credit card companies have always sided with me.

So if you find yourself in this situation, I would advise respectfully ignoring Tangey's advice, and dispute the charge. The laws are in your favor as a consumer, and with documentation, this would be an easy scenario to get resolved.

Last edited by FlyingHigh20; May 4, 2013 at 4:13 pm
Old May 4, 2013, 4:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by FlyingHigh20
Absolutely NOT TRUE, and you've stated this before, but this not accurate.

The laws are quite simple and the logic simple to understand why you are incorrect. The hotels, whether or not they are owned by IHG directly, agree to abide by ALL Terms and Restrictions on IHG's site if they are listed on there and the reservation is booked through that channel, as the credit card information is entered in on that site. Your assertion that the hotel does not have to agree to the BRG would basically mean that the hotel was free reign to make up their own rules after the charge goes through...including making up their own cancellation fees, adjusting the rate as they see fit, etc. The fact of the matter is, the consumer laws are very straight forward in this matter. If the hotel receives the booking via IHG's website, they have to agree to all terms or not accept the reservation at all, just as a consumer has to agree to all terms prior to booking.

Now, if a guest were to book a hotel directly on the hotel's own website (separate from IHG's), then the hotel would have the right to decline the BRG and the credit card companies would not honor the request to invalidate the charge.

This isnt just me spouting off my own interpretation of the laws, either I had this happen several times where there was a discrepancy with my total charges versus what the hotel brand's website stated, and the credit card companies have always sided with me.

So if you find yourself in this situation, I would advise respectfully ignoring Tangey's advice, and dispute the charge. The laws are in your favor as a consumer, and with documentation, this would be an easy scenario to get resolved.
Absolutely +1. Booking through IHGs website is the key here. How that can compare to a promise by tangey, unrelated to IHG does not make legally sense.

Last edited by travelkid; May 5, 2013 at 2:56 am Reason: typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.