Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Recent discussion (After January 01, 2016) could be found in this thread.

Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2013, 8:42 am

Programs: VS, CO, BA
BRG in London

Hello!

Any tips for A BRG in London or near Heathrow for the night of the 14th July? I have been using Trivago to try and find a cheaper price but am not getting anywhere!
Old Apr 25, 2013, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
so i just got a claim denied for an reason that makes no sense....for a june stay the rate on ihg was $179 (non-refundable) & $204 (refundable)....i found a $157 (refundable) rate on another site so i first booked on ihg & then sent in the claim....

later today i get a reply saying that my claim has been denied because the rate on the other site is a non-refundable rate....the only difference between the 2 is that the cancellation policy on ihg is the day before arrival & on the other site is 3 days before arrival....this makes the rate non-refundable as far as ihg is concerned....

now i can go ahead & book the non-refundable $179 rate on ihg but then what stops them from saying that the rate on the other site can be cancelled 3 days prior to the stay so its a refundable rate????
Old Apr 25, 2013, 3:25 pm

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by Keyser
so i just got a claim denied for an reason that makes no sense
Reason makes perfect sense. Cancellation terms on 3rd party site must be better/same than on IHG site. 3 day notice is worse than 1 day notice, so comparision with refundable rate is a fail. 3 day notice is better than non-refundable rate, so comparsion with adv purchase will be ok, assuming other criteria are met.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by barnstaple
Hello!

Any tips for A BRG in London or near Heathrow for the night of the 14th July? I have been using Trivago to try and find a cheaper price but am not getting anywhere!
Just had an approval after finding a cheaper rate on Superbreak.com - however as I had to book a non-refundable rate to ensure the cancellation charges on IHG were worse or the same I accidentally put the wrong expiry date for my card in the booking.

Now I have had approval of the BRG should I contact IHG to tell them I keyed in the wrong expiry date or will they contact me to check it or will they not worry about even trying to charge the card as it will be a comped stay anyway?
Old Apr 26, 2013, 2:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Just had an approval after finding a cheaper rate on Superbreak.com - however as I had to book a non-refundable rate to ensure the cancellation charges on IHG were worse or the same I accidentally put the wrong expiry date for my card in the booking.

Now I have had approval of the BRG should I contact IHG to tell them I keyed in the wrong expiry date or will they contact me to check it or will they not worry about even trying to charge the card as it will be a comped stay anyway?
I suggest calling the hotel, and have them update it.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by travelkid
I suggest calling the hotel, and have them update it.
OK, thanks. Would you suggest waiting until the comped stay is showing in the system or doing it now?
Old Apr 26, 2013, 3:04 am
Suspended

Programs: RIP
I had such an experience, and I found it best to let the hotel update before they have tried to charge the card in any way. Meaning as early as possible, to avoid hotel claiming invalid card, hence invalid claim.

Good luck!
Old Apr 26, 2013, 3:45 am

OK, thanks. Would you suggest waiting until the comped stay is showing in the system or doing it now?
DEFINITELY do it now before the comp. Having an invalid card against the booking is a known reason for them to deny a BRG, even after it has been initially accepted.

I had a BRG approved. Hotel then told BRG dept that card on file could not be charge to guarantee the room, BRG rescinded the claim. Only after I sent a copy of my cc statement showing the charge had already gone thru, was the BRG claim re-accepted again. I think the hotel was trying a "move" to get the BRG denied. However it shows that BRG dept will rescind a claim if afterwards the card can not be charged.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by tangey
DEFINITELY do it now before the comp. Having an invalid card against the booking is a known reason for them to deny a BRG, even after it has been initially accepted.

I had a BRG approved. Hotel then told BRG dept that card on file could not be charge to guarantee the room, BRG rescinded the claim. Only after I sent a copy of my cc statement showing the charge had already gone thru, was the BRG claim re-accepted again. I think the hotel was trying a "move" to get the BRG denied. However it shows that BRG dept will rescind a claim if afterwards the card can not be charged.
Just thought I would update you - called to check I had entered the expiry date correctly and was told by the hotel they had already charged the card and had subsequently refunded it due to the BRG so even with the wrong expiry date they seemed happy!

Phew!
Old Apr 26, 2013, 8:22 am

Programs: 100m swimming certificate level 5
Cancellation policy

In the Ts and Cs of a competing web sites price, the cancellation policy states "Your credit card is charged in full at the time you book a reservation." and then the rest is subject to the hotels cancellation policy. Would this make a difference to the claim, any thoughts please?
Old Apr 26, 2013, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by tangey
Reason makes perfect sense. Cancellation terms on 3rd party site must be better/same than on IHG site. 3 day notice is worse than 1 day notice, so comparision with refundable rate is a fail. 3 day notice is better than non-refundable rate, so comparsion with adv purchase will be ok, assuming other criteria are met.
used the same website for 2 brg claims with starwood & got them approved with the same cancellation policy, 3 day prior for this website compared to 1 day prior for spg....

nevertheless, here is an update....i emailed back to ask if i booked the non-refundable on ihg & then put in a claim on the same terms then will that be met....their reply was that i would have to first book the rate & then put in a claim & only then would they be able to give me an answer....
Old Apr 26, 2013, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by mitpat474
In the Ts and Cs of a competing web sites price, the cancellation policy states "Your credit card is charged in full at the time you book a reservation." and then the rest is subject to the hotels cancellation policy. Would this make a difference to the claim, any thoughts please?
I had a claim denied for this reason. (It didn't need to be paid until check in on IHG but was paid immediately on the other site, even though both were fully refundable.) I don't know if this is standard practice though.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 1:52 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by cebee
I had a claim denied for this reason. (It didn't need to be paid until check in on IHG but was paid immediately on the other site, even though both were fully refundable.) I don't know if this is standard practice though.
So many pitalls

That is just one reason why ADR rates are easier to claim a BRG on, but since I would stay there anyway, whether free or not, I have no issues booking ADR rooms.
eg I won't stay say 3miles away from my intended hotel to gain a BRG night

Flex rates, I need to ensure that other site does not charge at time of booking, but emails you the reservation confirmation to let you pay at hotel, and that room is reserved immediately not a few hours later and also don't charge some small fee if you cancel before the room cancel deadlline.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 5:49 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond
all my usual sites are not yielding anything for the 10th or 11th may at IC Park Lane.

if anyone can help let me know by pm. Have US and EUR sites which are good to trade
Old Apr 28, 2013, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Keyser
used the same website for 2 brg claims with starwood & got them approved with the same cancellation policy, 3 day prior for this website compared to 1 day prior for spg....
Ummm.....ok, but so what ? you might as well complain to starwoods that IHG give the first night free on a BRG claim, whereas starwoods only give 10%, they are different companys, giving different guarantees and with different T&C.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.