Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Recent discussion (After January 01, 2016) could be found in this thread.

Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2013, 7:51 am

That's a good sign...Check out your reservation here : http://m.ihg.com/hotels/priorityclub/us/en/home

Originally Posted by want2fly4less
The reservation from my BRG shows now "modified" and I am unable to pull it up online. Is everything OK now ?
Old May 12, 2013, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by Dolphinyong
That's a good sign...Check out your reservation here : http://m.ihg.com/hotels/priorityclub/us/en/home
Thanks, I was able to pull it up on the mobile site. It is now set on House use Complimentary and a price of 0,01 € ...
Old May 12, 2013, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by ffj
I have a BRG approved for a Holiday Inn. I would prefer a second location within 50 miles of that location, for that night. If I cancel the first approved BRG reservation, and then make a new reservation at the second location and submit a BRG for the second location, on the same night, will the second BRG be denied as a violation of the T&C? Any experience with this? Thank you.
Once you have a BRG claim approved (I think the case managers call it "validated") you can not have a claim approved for the same date at any IHG property anywhere. So if you cancel the approved BRG you have already for - say - May 31, and try to book another BRG at a hotel within 50 or 500 miles of the one you cancelled for May 31 - you will be denied. I learned this the hard way
However, if you are travelling with another person - even a "household member", that person can make a reservation and file a BRG claim for the second location that you prefer and you can be the "guest." It is the name on the reservation that counts as an approval or "validation" and since you are not seeking consecutive night, the alternate person should be approved.

As far as providing a "guest name." I believe they want you to do that so they can co-relate "houshold members" to make sure people are not booking consecutive days in alternate family members names, contrary to T&C. Personally, I felt the request for a guest name initially was an invasion of privacy and that is should be up to me to provide the name of my guest it I wanted, not up to their demands. I even ponted out that I doubted that General David Petraeus, former DIrector of the CIA, or former NY Governor Elliott Spitzer would have willing supplied the guest names of the women they dallied with at various hotels. Mind you they were not after a BRG I also pointed out that some of my reservations are 8 months in advance and my "guest" could easily change through shifts of affection of the heart, any manner of other deployment, critical injury or even change of sex. I did thisis all quite tongue in cheek, and I am still not sure how it was interrpreted in the Phillipines.

Ultimately, I was told by a case manager that the guest name was for their reference and, of course, it could be changed and only the primary guest whose name is on the reservation would be required to provide identification per the T&Cs. So if you know you are going to be travelling with a guest you could list she or he as Bat Guano, and no BRG case manager could challenge you. I think, maybe. I generally list the name of the guest I am travelling with so that they are formally on the reservation and can receive phone calls and messages without a hassel. Just a bit of imformation I thought I'd pass ablong....
Old May 13, 2013, 4:17 am

Programs: 100m swimming certificate level 5
Room types

I have found a possible BRG, where everything qualifies however the room type slightly differs. Priority club shows room types as:Stand, deluxe, exec, suite.
The competing web site shows double superior only.

Judging by the rates i would think superior matches that of the deluxe room.

Any thoughts of this qualifying?
Old May 13, 2013, 12:25 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by mitpat474
I have found a possible BRG, where everything qualifies however the room type slightly differs. Priority club shows room types as:Stand, deluxe, exec, suite.
The competing web site shows double superior only.

Judging by the rates i would think superior matches that of the deluxe room.

Any thoughts of this qualifying?

That's how hotels dump rooms at lower special rates, change room title to a title non-existant on the IHG/PCR site for their room types.
Unlike PCR site 3rd part sites don't expand room types to a full room description, so we can't match for a brg.
Old May 14, 2013, 6:38 am

Programs: Senator, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold
Any experiences with BRGs in Japan? Do they look after the second guest, if I put a fantasy name on my reservation?
Old May 14, 2013, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Recourse for Emailed Denial 5 weeks after Phone Approval?

On April 2, I called the BRG Support Desk and was told that my claim was valid. Crowne Plaza Times Square NY, $351? on (Website Removed) vs. $389 on IHG. I was given the 8-digit confirmation number.

I then booked nonrefundable travel and theatre tickets.

On May 6, I received an email with screenshots purporting to show that the Best Rate folks had made a mistake and that the $351 rate was also available on IHG. I've had 5 other successful BRG claims so I've searched the IHG site before, and when I did my search, it wasn't there. Perhaps the rate was added two seconds later, but when I called and was told that I was approved, why would I keep checking? Anyhow, the email said that my claim was now denied.

I responded by email stating that I had already been approved on the phone, that I had relied on that approval in making nonrefundable purchases, and that I expected the rate to remain "free" as promised. I asked them to confirm that this would be the case. 7 days have passed and I have not received a reply.

What would you do if you were in my situation?

1) Cancel and rebook elsewhere? (thankfully the rate is Best Flexible, as I would not pay that sum to stay at the Crowne Plaza when I could book the St. Regis for $495 and get a Starwood upgrade...).

2) Call and haggle? Ask for a supervisor? Is there a better number to call than the Phillipines desk?

3) Send an email to someone other than my reply the BRG agent who sent me the denial?

4) Go to the hotel, present my card, ask the rate to be free based on the initial approval, seek reimbursement from IHG after the fact if it doesn't happen, and charge it back if all else fails?

5) Something else?

Unless I'm missing something, even though it's a free room, their approval of the rate adjustment should be binding where I have justifiably and foreseeably relied on it to my detriment. I understand that they may have made a mistake. I make mistakes all the time. I pay for them, and if I make a mistake to a client, I don't wait for them to ask.

Thoughts?

Last edited by platbrownguy; May 15, 2013 at 12:43 am Reason: Remove third party site name
Old May 14, 2013, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA 1P / *A Gold, SPG Plat, Club Carlson Concierge, Amtrak S+
Is it me or does this thread hide the competing site information really well? lol. I'm trying to find out what websites people have been able to use for successful foreign BRGs, especially for Hong Kong. Any pointers?
Old May 14, 2013, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Well, that was fast. Just got this response from IHG. How would you respond?

Dear Mr. pbg,

Thank you for your response. We apologize for the delay in responding to you and for the inconvenience this might have caused you. Please know this is not a normal practice from our department. Unfortunately, with regards to the free night, we will be unable to provide you the Guarantee.

We acknowledge the shortcoming and as our way to compensate the unfortunate situation that you have experienced, we can deposit 2,000 priority club points to your account. Please confirm acceptance of the points so we may process the transfer.

We look forward to your response.

Sincerely,

Firstname Lastname
Best Price Guarantee
Guest Relations
InterContinental Hotels Group
Phone: 800.447.2981
E-mail: [email protected]
www.ihg.com/bestprice
Reference No. XXXXXXXX
Old May 15, 2013, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Have you got any proof that you got an approval over the phone? That's the reason why I always use the online form to make sure.

If you have no proof, you have no case - sorry.

However if I were you I'd push for more points - 2k points is the points they can give you without approval.
Old May 15, 2013, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by nacho
Have you got any proof that you got an approval over the phone? That's the reason why I always use the online form to make sure.
Use Skype and record the phone call for "quality control" purposes. That's what I do.
Old May 15, 2013, 3:35 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Well, that was fast. Just got this response from IHG. How would you respond?
Basically what happened is that BRG told you your night was free, emailed the claim to the hotel, the hotel came back and countered the claim citing that the rate wasn't available/IHG rate was now cheaper or whatever, and basically told BRG dept they would not comply.

Although it is totally unfair for BRG to tell people the night is free, when the hotel is still given the opportunity to deny it, it has been proven to happen in the past.

If the hotel simply says it won't comply for reasons it can not demonstrate, IHG will normally pay for the night themselves by reimbursing you afterwards. If the hotel presents a reason, then BRG will retrospectively deny the claim, unless you can show that the reason for the denial is wrong. I had a case that the hotel denied, citing that my on file credit card had been rejected. BRG then told me that my BRG was denied. I was able to show that far from being rejected, it had been charged two weeks earlier. BRG re-instated the claim, and the hotel accepted.
Old May 15, 2013, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by holtju2
Use Skype and record the phone call for "quality control" purposes. That's what I do.
Never used Skype - thanks for the tip!
Old May 15, 2013, 11:28 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Curious about something. I am considering doing a BRG for a room that prices out lower than IHG on another site for the London Park Lane property. However, I have a 2-year-old child with me, and including vs excluding him has no impact on the room price, except on the competing website. Is this something I can add to the reservation later? How does the checkin desk look at this? Technically, he does not need a bed, just need a roll-away crib, and I usually book 2 adults, 0 children because of this - but I have never tried this with BRG. Just curious about others' experiences.

Thanks,

-pN
Old May 15, 2013, 2:20 pm

Programs: 100m swimming certificate level 5
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Curious about something. I am considering doing a BRG for a room that prices out lower than IHG on another site for the London Park Lane property. However, I have a 2-year-old child with me, and including vs excluding him has no impact on the room price, except on the competing website. Is this something I can add to the reservation later? How does the checkin desk look at this? Technically, he does not need a bed, just need a roll-away crib, and I usually book 2 adults, 0 children because of this - but I have never tried this with BRG. Just curious about others' experiences.

Thanks,

-pN
Is it best flex or advance purchase?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.