Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Recent discussion (After January 01, 2016) could be found in this thread.

Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2013, 2:53 am

Location: in your favourite lounge, clearing the whole buffet
Programs: LH Maximizer of the year, BA Blue Label killer
Big currencies like EUR USD GBP are no issue for me, but I'm desperately looking for a comparable site charging in NZD. The usual suspects have the same rate as IHG
Old May 30, 2013, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nacho
I usually check booking.com to see their children policy. It's pretty correct.
Thanks...

Free! All children under 12 years stay free of charge when using existing beds.
^
Old May 30, 2013, 4:31 am
Suspended

hotels.com usually applies promos on its own

i was wondering if IHG would apply the BRG if i book thru this website ?

thanks
Old May 30, 2013, 4:53 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by nacho
Good to know ^

I saw that for IC Singapore you pay for extra bed for your kids - saw a couple of posts in TA.
Asia often charges per person so it would be logical. They are also far more rule-bound. We'll see how the Brits are.
Old May 30, 2013, 10:50 am

Programs: KLM Gold, DL Silver
BRG tricks of IHG

So, basically, I understand two things how the agents are trained in IHG to deny your claim.

1. If you file the claim online - they quickly change the price, and then claim the lower rate is also available on IHG website. So, if that lower rate for the same room type was available, how in the world I got a different, higher rate for my booking on IHG?

2. No way to get a BRG claim approved for the properties outside of US: IHG claims that nevertheless your rate you got on IHG website is in USD, you will be charged in a local currency, and therefore your claim in USD (say on booking.com or other websites) is invalid.

Is my understanding correct, and this thingy might work only for US bookings, and claims issued over the phone (when they have little chance to change the existing IHG rate while keeping you on hold)?

Also, arguing with an agent is useless. I think they are specifically trained to play dumb and waste your time, so you would just give up.

Last edited by iggyray; May 30, 2013 at 11:03 am
Old May 30, 2013, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by iggyray

2. No way to get a BRG claim approved for the properties outside of US: IHG claims that nevertheless your rate you got on IHG website is in USD, you will be charged in a local currency, and therefore your claim in USD (say on booking.com or other websites) is invalid.
I think you haven't understood very much about the BRG: or, indeed, about making international hotel reservations.

Suggest you read the BRG terms and conditions, then investigate a few online travel agencies NOT based in the US. You'll find these OTAs offer reservation in weird currencies like the euro, matching the currencies many ICH hotels use in .. Europe!
Old May 30, 2013, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by iggyray
So, basically, I understand two things how the agents are trained in IHG to deny your claim.

1. If you file the claim online - they quickly change the price, and then claim the lower rate is also available on IHG website. So, if that lower rate for the same room type was available, how in the world I got a different, higher rate for my booking on IHG?

Is my understanding correct, and this thingy might work only for US bookings, and claims issued over the phone (when they have little chance to change the existing IHG rate while keeping you on hold)?

Also, arguing with an agent is useless. I think they are specifically trained to play dumb and waste your time, so you would just give up.
Hmm.. why isn't this in the BRG thread, anyway?

In my experience, mostly BRG agents comply with the rules pretty respectfully. Others may tell you they keep on getting denied, but I think in general if you play nicely by their rules, you will generally win.
Old May 30, 2013, 10:57 pm

Programs: HH Gold, CC Gold, Accor Plat, BW Diamond
First time trying a BRG with IHG. I read and re-read the rules, and found an eligible stay for June 17 at the Holiday Inn in Seattle. I found it for less on Booking.com so I submitted the BRG. Well, they emailed that the rate on Booking.com is the same as on IHG website so claim is denied. But this is not the rate I saw a few hours ago when I made the reservation. I have a screen shot of the cheaper rate. Did they somehow change it? It seems unlikely that the rate on Booking.com would have gone from $167 to $171 arbitrarily.
Can anyone suggest a way I might try to appeal? Thanks for your help.
Old May 30, 2013, 11:56 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HH D, IHG PA
This happens all the time, and honestly the chance of you getting your case approved will be improved drastically if you phoning them directly.
Old May 31, 2013, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Amazingly there is a world outside the US and this world uses currencies different from the USD. I agree to what has been posted, the agents do respectfully work with the rules. IHG as a booking website is more than interested in granting your claim. Your post shows that you have not understood the system.

IHG is a franchise business and IHG corporate earns inter alia money from the hotels (a) by them allowing to use the brand and (b) from commission for bookings coming in via the IHG website. The BRG is nothing but a IHG corporate tool to educate the franchise businesses. They have an interest in selling via third channels, giving discounts to attract these websites. Maybe they sometimes rightfully believe that this channels are better than IHG or they understand that they are in direct competition on websites like expedia or hrs with direct competitors offering lower prices and they want to attract these customers by price too. All this is in the interest of the hotel but not in the interest of IHG trying to secure their income from their website. Obviously they dictated the rule "if you are caught it will hurt". The customer became the price police checking whether the hotels respect the dominance of the IHG website. This service is rendered free by the customer for IHG - the hotels pay the bill.
Old May 31, 2013, 12:19 am

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Amazingly there is a world outside the US and this world uses currencies different from the USD. I agree to what has been posted, the agents do respectfully work with the rules. IHG as a booking website is more than interested in granting your claim. Your post shows that you have not understood the system.

IHG is a franchise business and IHG corporate earns inter alia money from the hotels (a) by them allowing to use the brand and (b) from commission for bookings coming in via the IHG website. The BRG is nothing but a IHG corporate tool to educate the franchise businesses. They have an interest in selling via third channels, giving discounts to attract these websites. Maybe they sometimes rightfully believe that this channels are better than IHG or they understand that they are in direct competition on websites like expedia or hrs with direct competitors offering lower prices and they want to attract these customers by price too. All this is in the interest of the hotel but not in the interest of IHG trying to secure their income from their website. Obviously they dictated the rule "if you are caught it will hurt". The customer became the price police checking whether the hotels respect the dominance of the IHG website. This service is rendered free by the customer for IHG - the hotels pay the bill.
Yeah, it's actually an interesting move by IHG because they've effectively crowd-sourced the entire find hotels selling lower rates problem to their customers...

IHG runs it very well - they have a 24h hotline you can call to submit your claim - AND THERES (usually) NEVER A HOLD to talk to someone (yeah yeah, they do put you on hold for like 15 mins while "verifying" the claim)! if they were really interested in denying your claim, they would make it 9-5 only with some really long hold time... or only provide an e-mail address. Usually, when I am denied, it's because I've misunderstood some rule (for example, apparently in Israel citizens have to pay a large tax, but non-citizens do not, but the IHG site displays the Israeli citizen rate with a footnote about the tax, while other travel sites post the non-citizen rate).
Old May 31, 2013, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by bbcbbc2012
This happens all the time, and honestly the chance of you getting your case approved will be improved drastically if you phoning them directly.
agreed, I don't know why people bother with the whole e-mail thing. I know it's less time consuming, but they'll verify your claim on the spot over the phone.
Old May 31, 2013, 12:26 am

Also a note on my last BRG the rep complained about me not putting the name of the second guest on the reservation. I just said I don't know and he moved on, but this is the first time I experienced this.
Old May 31, 2013, 2:47 am

Programs: IHG Plat; CC Gold
I made my first BRG claim in several months today. I think either I was lucky, or they have got better.

I was expecting some issues, it was a HIX where the entire hotel is non smoking. The third party web site said standard double with buffet breakfast, and the IHG website said standard non smoking double. There was the initial observation from the agent that breakfast was included on the third party web site, but when it was pointed out it was a HIX so there is always breakfast, that was not an issue.

The claim on the phone took only about 15 mins in total, the fastest I have ever had.

Not sure if it makes a difference, but we do have quite a few standard paid stays.
Old May 31, 2013, 2:50 am

Programs: 100m swimming certificate level 5
Originally Posted by no2chem
Also a note on my last BRG the rep complained about me not putting the name of the second guest on the reservation. I just said I don't know and he moved on, but this is the first time I experienced this.

Ye I have been asked 50% of the time to provide a name.. I think its to counter you from "passing the reservation on" , however its unrealistic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.