Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Recent discussion (After January 01, 2016) could be found in this thread.

Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2013, 5:00 am

Programs: AA, Delta, NWA,HHonors, Hyatt BF
Originally Posted by nacho
I think it's because the hotel want you to cancel the ressie = withdraw your BRG claim.
Quite possibly. I see they changed my rate from 169 down to 139.... but the BRG rate was 128... I finally called IHG and they said they beleive the hotel misunderstood and that they thought they just needed to match the lower price (??) and they would correct it to a comp night... we shall see.
I always get weirdness with IHG brgs, the last one I got this bizarre email detailing the t&cs for me, in particular, with some strange verbage indicating the agent knows I am familiar with brgs.... I do like one every 2-3 months, c'mon .....
Old May 29, 2013, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
If I were you I'd make sure IHG changed the night to comp. You can see it if it's an IC, otherwise get the BRG to confirmed that the night has changed to comp.

I'd bring a print out of the rate adjusted confirmation with me - there was once a hotel tried to charge me on a BRG night.
Old May 29, 2013, 7:52 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
If I were you I'd make sure IHG changed the night to comp. You can see it if it's an IC, otherwise get the BRG to confirmed that the night has changed to comp.

I'd bring a print out of the rate adjusted confirmation with me - there was once a hotel tried to charge me on a BRG night.
Yeah, the CP Dubai tried to charge my father, and him, not being familiar with the whole BRG concept, just let them charge his CC thinking it was a security deposit or something. Good thing I caught him on the phone before he checked out. This is roughly the conversation he had with the front desk afterwards when I told him to go claim it back:

- Did you charge me for the room?
- No, it was free, sir.
- On Best Rate Guarantee?
- Yes, sir.
- So why did you charge my credit card XXX AED? (shows bill)
- Yes sir, you were charged.
- So is it free or did you charge me??
- Free, sir.
- Fine. You sort it out and phone my room. Ok? I am checking out at 11, so call me before.
- Okay, sir.
(11am passes, no calls, goes down to front desk)
- So what is going on?
- Okay, sir.
- What is okay?
- Everything is okay, sir.
- Did you take money from me?
- Yes, sir. But everything is okay, sir. Now refunding you, sir.

So yeah.... lesson is, if you can ensure that the hotel understands it's a free rate upon checkin, you will save yourself some trouble. (and all the above, despite the manager emailing me and telling me the BRG was honoured).

Oh well, at least he got an upgrade.
Old May 29, 2013, 9:02 am

Venetian/Palazzo

What is the deal with finding a better rate on www.venetian.com or www.palazzo.com than on the Priority Club website? Is the BRG honoured even though it is the hotel's own website?

They currently have a promo of $109/night coming up to $150/night with taxes/resort fee on the hotel website versus $149/night coming up to $192/night with similar conditions on pc.com.

http://www.venetian.com/Las-Vegas-Of...s/May-Retreat/
Old May 29, 2013, 9:59 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
What is the deal with finding a better rate on www.venetian.com or www.palazzo.com than on the Priority Club website? Is the BRG honoured even though it is the hotel's own website?

They currently have a promo of $109/night coming up to $150/night with taxes/resort fee on the hotel website versus $149/night coming up to $192/night with similar conditions on pc.com.

http://www.venetian.com/Las-Vegas-Of...s/May-Retreat/
IHG might well determine that the rate you have linked to is a package rate, and there is no equivalent package on the IHG website. Probably doesn't matter that you are getting extra on the competing rate.
Old May 29, 2013, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by tangey
IHG might well determine that the rate you have linked to is a package rate, and there is no equivalent package on the IHG website. Probably doesn't matter that you are getting extra on the competing rate.
This is correct. Also, they might say that since it's available on an IHG property's own website, it is not eligible.
Old May 29, 2013, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Have a BRG stay coming up next week at a CP. Its for 2 adults. Now say if we take along our 3 year old toddler along with us who we had originally not planned to take for the night and hence not in the booking. Could that create a issue with the free night? No extra's would be asked for as he would share my bed.

Rates for that hotel are the same for 2AD and 1 Child.
Old May 29, 2013, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by onlysuites
Have a BRG stay coming up next week at a CP. Its for 2 adults. Now say if we take along our 3 year old toddler along with us who we had originally not planned to take for the night and hence not in the booking. Could that create a issue with the free night? No extra's would be asked for as he would share my bed.

Please report back. I have a similar issue in 3 weeks. (except he's a hair under 3, so technically still "2"). Although I plan on asking for a crib or a small rollaway. I would suspect that usually it should not be an issue, because you wouldn't normally get a full-out bed for him anyway.
Old May 29, 2013, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, NWA,HHonors, Hyatt BF
My weirdness has been resolved, got the comp night email so I"m good, but the hotel called again about it, said it would be comp, and they want me to call them...I don't want to call them.
Old May 29, 2013, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Even though the rate is the same, your claim is for a reservation that is for 2 adults so that will violate the T&C of the BRG. I was told that if 3 people show up instead of 2 (they put in 3 people but we were actually only 2, and they said that as long as we are only 2, we are good).

We did bring kids to some of the BRG nights but we played safe by having 1 adult check in and then the rest get in afterwards. We never ask for anything extra such as extra towel, bed.

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Please report back. I have a similar issue in 3 weeks. (except he's a hair under 3, so technically still "2"). Although I plan on asking for a crib or a small rollaway. I would suspect that usually it should not be an issue, because you wouldn't normally get a full-out bed for him anyway.
I wouldn't do it if I were you - unless the hotel states explicitly about that kids stay free. I know someone went to a HIE at AMS on a paid stay and they were 2 adults and 1 kid (5 years old) and the hotel demanded them to get an extra room for their little girl. They claimed that ANYONE over 2 years of age counts as 1 person and since she is over 2, their group becomes 3 people, which was over the maximum occupancy. Since they have prepaid their stay and it was late, they ended up paid rack rate for 1 night and then check-out the second room the next day.

I'm not saying that it happens everytime but when it does happen, it is not going to be a nice experience.
Old May 29, 2013, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Even though the rate is the same, your claim is for a reservation that is for 2 adults so that will violate the T&C of the BRG. I was told that if 3 people show up instead of 2 (they put in 3 people but we were actually only 2, and they said that as long as we are only 2, we are good).

We did bring kids to some of the BRG nights but we played safe by having 1 adult check in and then the rest get in afterwards. We never ask for anything extra such as extra towel, bed.

I wouldn't do it if I were you - unless the hotel states explicitly about that kids stay free. I know someone went to a HIE at AMS on a paid stay and they were 2 adults and 1 kid (5 years old) and the hotel demanded them to get an extra room for their little girl. They claimed that ANYONE over 2 years of age counts as 1 person and since she is over 2, their group becomes 3 people, which was over the maximum occupancy. Since they have prepaid their stay and it was late, they ended up paid rack rate for 1 night and then check-out the second room the next day.

I'm not saying that it happens everytime but when it does happen, it is not going to be a nice experience.
Thanks! Any more experiences on this? I had one at a IC and they were quite good about it. Didn't even mention it.
Old May 29, 2013, 4:39 pm

Interesting - thanks for mentioning this. Generally, the hotel does NOT charge for children. The competing website was, though, which is why I amended the reservation to 2 people. I think I'll play safe and call a week ahead to request a bed. I have a points room booked elsewhere anyway, so it's not the end of the world if they cancel it.
Old May 30, 2013, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks! Any more experiences on this? I had one at a IC and they were quite good about it. Didn't even mention it.
I usually check booking.com to see their children policy. It's pretty correct. Of course if it's HI in the US where kids stay free/ IC (I remember that they are ok with kids staying free with their parents until they are 19). A lot of hotels don't mind as long as you don't start asking for things like extra bed, sheet, towels. etc.

I had a chance to talk to some staffs at a CP in Hong Kong, and they said as long as the kid is not a teenager and the parents don't ask for anything extra, they are ok with it (for room only), for breakfast they start charging when they turn 3.

How they react depending how resentful they feel about BRG - they could put a note to the FD to find out any possible violations etc. There are various posts in this thread and I have also experienced it as well.

We usually bring our own portable crib for our 'back then' 3 yrs old - he wasn't that big and he likes sleeping there. Nowadays it's inflatable mattress or we bring our own blanket to make a small bed in the room.

Last edited by nacho; May 30, 2013 at 1:52 am
Old May 30, 2013, 1:27 am

Programs: Senator, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold
Also had a good experience at the IC Vienna.
2 adults with one child (15 years). Phoned from the room the reception and requested an extra bed. No problem.
Old May 30, 2013, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cz4444
Also had a good experience at the IC Vienna.
2 adults with one child (15 years). Phoned from the room the reception and requested an extra bed. No problem.
Good to know ^

I saw that for IC Singapore you pay for extra bed for your kids - saw a couple of posts in TA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.