Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2024, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Tips on how to navigate to the hotel from Shinagawa Station (JR Shinkansen, Yamanote Line, Keikyu Airport Line to/from HND, other various lines that stop in Shinagawa).

The easiest way is via the second (main) level, one up from street level. Exiting the station, there are elevated sidewalks/skyways that leads into the elevator lobby of the hotel.
  • Keikyu Line platform seems to mainly exit to street level so make your way up to the second level at the earliest opportunity.
  • All other non-Shinkansen lines exit from the platform up stairs/escalators/elevators to the second floor; follow signs to the Central Exit outside of fare control
  • Shinkansen lines have their own exits from the second floor

From the second floor, follow signs to the Konan (East) Exit of the Shinagawa Station and exit there. Best to walk on the right side of the corridor. When exiting, the Dean + DeLuca cafe will be on your right, follow the flow of traffic to the right past the store and then take a left down the long walkway and you will see the sign for the hotel as you get closer on the right side. There's a small 7-11 on the left when you get to the hotel entrance. Walk down the corridor and turn left which will lead you to the elevator banks that service the 26th floor check in lobby.
Print Wikipost

The Strings by Intercontinental Tokyo Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2016, 8:11 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Flying Blue (KLM) Platinum, Oneworld (BA) Sapphire, *A (Aegean) Gold, IHG Spire RA,
Originally Posted by demue
Normally they will not upgrade on reward nights, not Amb and not RA. They only make the single bed / 1 person rooms available for rewards, so you have argue your way into a Double room based on IHG rewards T&CS.
Hmm i see now indeed it's single bed but I booked for 2 adults. I'll see how it goes when i'm there.

the other IC's in Tokyo do you know if they upgrade on reward? especially club.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 11:04 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I don't know the latest regarding Tokyo Bay, but IC ANA certainly upgrades rooms though I thought to have heard that Club is always an add on cost these days even for RA. Check some of the other Tokyo threads or plain email the hotel for latest policies.
Old May 15, 2017, 11:49 am

Email address for general manager / special request

What email address can I use for a special room request? Looking for GM's email but unsuccessful.
Old May 15, 2017, 4:10 pm

Programs: IHG Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy
What email address can I use for a special room request? Looking for GM's email but unsuccessful.
Now their GM position is open. Ex-GM Mr. Kaneko has been transferred to Sapporo ANA Hotel.
You should contact to [email protected]
Old May 15, 2017, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by Raynyan
Now their GM position is open. Ex-GM Mr. Kaneko has been transferred to Sapporo ANA Hotel.
You should contact to [email protected]
Thanks Raynyan. Will do.
Old May 17, 2017, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by christravelblog
Hmm i see now indeed it's single bed but I booked for 2 adults. I'll see how it goes when i'm there.

the other IC's in Tokyo do you know if they upgrade on reward? especially club.
I'm currently negotiating to get a King or at least two single beds. We were offered a single Queen sized bed--better than the single twin-sized bed. But we sleep more comfortably either on a King or in two separate beds. Not because we're fat--quite slender actually. I'm terribly disappointed with the IC Strings--have always either received a King at every IC I've stayed at, or had a complimentary upgrade to a King--actually, several tiers higher in room type--simply by asking nicely. That's what I've come to expect from the IC brand. Never been disappointed until now.

Inventory obviously has to be there. But this is getting ridiculous. I'd say for anyone having issues with this property, write to [email protected] and explain the exact situation. If that doesn't work, escalate...

This property should not continue to get a free ride stiffing Platinums and others booking award nights when the T&Cs indicate what they ought to be doing. Things are only likely to change if enough of us write-in with our experiences and someone, somewhere related to IC Strings gets embarrassed. Sad but true to use a trite but fitting expression.

Wonder if this practice is due to the fact the this IC is in a joint partnership with ANA Hotels. Or that IC Strings is predominantly a Business hotel. However, as another indicated, you should at least be able to get a upgrade to a King or two beds.

If the issue isn't resolved for me and my wife, then I'm staying at the Prince Sakura Tower Tokyo on points. Will use the IHG certs elsewhere. Had good experience writing to the Prince Sakura Tower Tokyo for another stay re: complimentary upgrades on points stays. Think it's a cat 8 though, so not cheap.
Old May 17, 2017, 7:39 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Well from the IHG Rewards T&Cs it says Double or King. I wouldn't interpret Double to mean two beds as there is a Double bed / mattress type.

With that the Queen offer wasn't that bad I would say, but preferences differ. Good luck either way.
Old May 18, 2017, 4:16 am

Programs: IHG Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy
I'm currently negotiating to get a King or at least two single beds. We were offered a single Queen sized bed--better than the single twin-sized bed. But we sleep more comfortably either on a King or in two separate beds. Not because we're fat--quite slender actually. I'm terribly disappointed with the IC Strings--have always either received a King at every IC I've stayed at, or had a complimentary upgrade to a King--actually, several tiers higher in room type--simply by asking nicely. That's what I've come to expect from the IC brand. Never been disappointed until now.

Inventory obviously has to be there. But this is getting ridiculous. I'd say for anyone having issues with this property, write to [email protected] and explain the exact situation. If that doesn't work, escalate...

This property should not continue to get a free ride stiffing Platinums and others booking award nights when the T&Cs indicate what they ought to be doing. Things are only likely to change if enough of us write-in with our experiences and someone, somewhere related to IC Strings gets embarrassed. Sad but true to use a trite but fitting expression.

Wonder if this practice is due to the fact the this IC is in a joint partnership with ANA Hotels. Or that IC Strings is predominantly a Business hotel. However, as another indicated, you should at least be able to get a upgrade to a King or two beds.

If the issue isn't resolved for me and my wife, then I'm staying at the Prince Sakura Tower Tokyo on points. Will use the IHG certs elsewhere. Had good experience writing to the Prince Sakura Tower Tokyo for another stay re: complimentary upgrades on points stays. Think it's a cat 8 though, so not cheap.
Last week end, I've told your concern to duty manager as general issue.
He said will discuss internally. I can't commit anything but absolutely they are awared your concern.

Hope to you will receive good news.
Old May 18, 2017, 6:06 am

Sounds good, thanks for that in general. I told them at least twice though last time was in Oct.16.

Just to caution that the entry level "standard" room at this IC (above the single bed ones) are called Classic and come with a Double bed (not twin beds, but double mattress about 1.4m wide or so. King rooms are at least one or maybe two more categories above that and more expensive at that.
Old May 21, 2017, 1:04 pm

Thanks all. The issue is resolved. I ultimately obtained a King Deluxe room for my free night certificate stays. This is reflected in the official reservations. Next time I'll pay more attention to Standard room types. Never expected this room type at an IC. But then again it's Tokyo where space is at a premium?

I'm tempted to cancel, however, given I had to be granted two room upgrades to receive a King bed. Then stay at the Prince Sakura Tokyo Tower. On the other hand, IC Strings has high ratings, a covered walkway to Shinagawa Station, and they finally came through. If I keep the reservation, I could save the Marriott points for a high tier Marriott or Ritz-Carlton some other trip.
Old May 21, 2017, 1:06 pm

Thank you.

Originally Posted by Raynyan
Last week end, I've told your concern to duty manager as general issue.
He said will discuss internally. I can't commit anything but absolutely they are awared your concern.

Hope to you will receive good news.
Thanks Raynyan for doing this, I appreciate it.
Old May 21, 2017, 8:27 pm

Depends what you need location wise. I always stay at the Strings as I usually come / go via NRT and take the NEX. Also within Japan for travel I need Shinkansen and uae JR lines in and around Tokyo so proximity to Shinagawa is just very convenient.

They have given the King and they are solid at honoring these kind of things. Yes the upfront arguments are hasslesome, but that part is done. YMMV
Old May 24, 2017, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by demue
Depends what you need location wise. I always stay at the Strings as I usually come / go via NRT and take the NEX. Also within Japan for travel I need Shinkansen and uae JR lines in and around Tokyo so proximity to Shinagawa is just very convenient.

They have given the King and they are solid at honoring these kind of things. Yes the upfront arguments are hasslesome, but that part is done. YMMV
Thanks Demue. Looking forward to our stay. Glad to know they will keep to their word--I'd expect nothing less in as polite a society as Japan. :-) The Marriott is equidistant to Shinagawa Station (each property is on opposite sides). But definitely leaning toward staying at the IC Strings and cancelling the reservation at the Marriott and saving 70K points. Damn shame, because the folks at that property seem terrific. And yes, I'm glad the upfront unpleasantries are over. Those feelings will fade with time on my side.

Thanks to all for the assists! Deeply appreciated. I heart FT. :-)
Old Jul 3, 2017, 12:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; IHG Spire Ambassador
Another data point re: single bed reward nights...

We wanted to book a reward night in August but like those above could only see availability for single rooms. I sent a message to the Rewards Club / Amb service centre querying this. Unusually I never received a reply. However, 48 hours later, double room reward night availability was wide open and we've successfully booked - so perhaps something has been escalated behind the scenes? Could be coincidence, of course...

On a completely separate note, we've also booked a two night cash stay later in the same week on an advance purchase rate. Amb upgrade was processed pretty soon after booking, but to my surprise my card has been charged with the rate for the upgraded room as well as the 2nd person surcharge for both nights, which I thought would have been automatically removed for an Amb booking?

Will the property refund me the necessary amounts at check-out or will I have to chase this myself?
Old Jul 3, 2017, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by SamDubs
...Will the property refund me the necessary amounts at check-out or will I have to chase this myself?
In Japan I would not leave it until checking out; chase the issue earlier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.