Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2024, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Tips on how to navigate to the hotel from Shinagawa Station (JR Shinkansen, Yamanote Line, Keikyu Airport Line to/from HND, other various lines that stop in Shinagawa).

The easiest way is via the second (main) level, one up from street level. Exiting the station, there are elevated sidewalks/skyways that leads into the elevator lobby of the hotel.
  • Keikyu Line platform seems to mainly exit to street level so make your way up to the second level at the earliest opportunity.
  • All other non-Shinkansen lines exit from the platform up stairs/escalators/elevators to the second floor; follow signs to the Central Exit outside of fare control
  • Shinkansen lines have their own exits from the second floor

From the second floor, follow signs to the Konan (East) Exit of the Shinagawa Station and exit there. Best to walk on the right side of the corridor. When exiting, the Dean + DeLuca cafe will be on your right, follow the flow of traffic to the right past the store and then take a left down the long walkway and you will see the sign for the hotel as you get closer on the right side. There's a small 7-11 on the left when you get to the hotel entrance. Walk down the corridor and turn left which will lead you to the elevator banks that service the 26th floor check in lobby.
Print Wikipost

The Strings by Intercontinental Tokyo Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2023, 8:48 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by TheWiseOne
I was at The Strings in April for 5 nights. I did not get an upgrade and had to make do with the 10k points.
Interesting, given how miniscule some of the room differences can be, personally I think I wouldn't mind 10k points versus some barely noticeable "view" or "3 floors higher room" pseudo upgrade, but preferences will differ.

Our corporate rate books into the 1 King Classic and I'm just fine with that one as what supposedly are next higher room categories are all very similar room layout wise with maybe 1-2 sqm difference (if at all) and another orientation/ view or such only. YMMV.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 8:10 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Looking at staying at The Strings in Oct '24 for long layover (arrive NRT Mon at 16:00, departing NRT Wed at 11:00). Figured this would be the most convenient way to get back and forth to the airport, and do a day in Tokyo.
I am IHG Platinum, and am looking to use points (50,500 per night), or Chase Anniversary Free Nights. For points, the only room choice listed for 2 is a "Double Classic." From reading this thread, I am assuming the following apply:
1) I will not get an upgrade
2) I will not get free breakfast
3) I will not get lounge access.
4) I will get a small room.

Is my summation correct?
Any options to upgrade my situation?
Old Nov 13, 2023, 8:24 am

You could sign up for the ambassador program for a 1 level upgrade. But apart from that, you are right. No breakfast, no upgrade and no lounge. The upgraded room is not that small. The lead in room is really really small (I think)
Old Nov 13, 2023, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by RA-wannabe
You could sign up for the ambassador program for a 1 level upgrade. But apart from that, you are right. No breakfast, no upgrade and no lounge. The upgraded room is not that small. The lead in room is really really small (I think)
So Ambassador Program looks to come at a price of $200, or 40K points. And this would only provide me a benefit of a 1-level upgrade? But still no free breakfast, lounge, etc.?
Old Nov 13, 2023, 10:39 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WannaTheater
Looking at staying at The Strings in Oct '24 for long layover (arrive NRT Mon at 16:00, departing NRT Wed at 11:00). Figured this would be the most convenient way to get back and forth to the airport, and do a day in Tokyo.
I am IHG Platinum, and am looking to use points (50,500 per night), or Chase Anniversary Free Nights. For points, the only room choice listed for 2 is a "Double Classic." From reading this thread, I am assuming the following apply:
1) I will not get an upgrade
2) I will not get free breakfast
3) I will not get lounge access.
4) I will get a small room.

Is my summation correct?
Any options to upgrade my situation?
You will arrive at the hotel at 18-19:00 and need to leave by 8:00. You won’t be able to make use of the 4pm checkout, you can get a drink with the 2,000 amb credit, breakfast is not included, and you will get upgraded to a room with a view.

I’d personally rather pay for the crown plaza near Narita and check out Ueno/Asakusa from there if you wanted IHG or better yet pick a budget hotel for 80 usd somewhere.

Take the 200 and spend it on a very nice evening out unless you plan on staying at ICs more than once

Last edited by Cthunder86; Nov 13, 2023 at 10:44 am
Old Nov 13, 2023, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by Cthunder86
You will arrive at the hotel at 18-19:00 and need to leave by 8:00. You won’t be able to make use of the 4pm checkout, you can get a drink with the 2,000 amb credit, breakfast is not included, and you will get upgraded to a room with a view.
I’d personally rather pay for the crown plaza near Narita and check out Ueno/Asakusa from there if you wanted IHG or better yet pick a budget hotel for 80 usd somewhere.
Take the 200 and spend it on a very nice evening out unless you plan on staying at ICs more than once
Thanks for this info. Was torn about staying at Crown at NRT, as it is cheap with points... but I've read some reviews saying it is not all that great. And our thinking was we could spend the full day in Tokyo, not needing to commute in and out on that Tuesday.... to do what, I don't know, as we haven't done any research on that yet.

Will check out Ueno/Asakusa.
Old Nov 14, 2023, 4:53 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist

The OP is staying 2 nights I gather from Mon evening to Wed morning so that's why OP is mentioning a full day in Tokyo. Definitely IC Strings being next to JR Shinagawa which is a NEX stop makes sense.

As Platinum, an upgrade is unlikely, but if lucky OP may get a better view or a slightly bigger King Classic or so. Best is to expect nothing and be surprised. Whether Ambassador is worth it is a different question, for OPs case I don't think so unless there is a good use for the AMB free weekend night certificate during the membership year.

We are at the property right now and as Diamond Ambassador, being a repeat guest though and on a 4 nights corporate rate stay, we got very lucky and were upgraded to a One Bedroom King Suite from a 1 King Classic room. This is a multi level upgrade that the hotel usually doesn't give even to RAs. No Club lounge benefit's though of course, but in Tokyo there is so much good food that it is not needed at all. YMMV.
Old Nov 14, 2023, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by demue
The OP is staying 2 nights I gather from Mon evening to Wed morning so that's why OP is mentioning a full day in Tokyo. Definitely IC Strings being next to JR Shinagawa which is a NEX stop makes sense.

As Platinum, an upgrade is unlikely, but if lucky OP may get a better view or a slightly bigger King Classic or so. Best is to expect nothing and be surprised. Whether Ambassador is worth it is a different question, for OPs case I don't think so unless there is a good use for the AMB free weekend night certificate during the membership year.

We are at the property right now and as Diamond Ambassador, being a repeat guest though and on a 4 nights corporate rate stay, we got very lucky and were upgraded to a One Bedroom King Suite from a 1 King Classic room. This is a multi level upgrade that the hotel usually doesn't give even to RAs. No Club lounge benefit's though of course, but in Tokyo there is so much good food that it is not needed at all. YMMV.

They say reading is fundamental but I apparently I didn’t get the memo

I suppose as long as he is happy with the base room then I’d probably still take the 200 and spend it on a nice dinner Tuesday evening somewhere vs Ambassador.
Old Nov 14, 2023, 8:07 am

delete
Old Nov 14, 2023, 8:39 am

They say reading is fundamental but I apparently I didn’t get the memo
Ha! I knew what you meant
With the feedback received, no plans on spending the $200 (I also haven't been staying at IHGs much these days other than to liquidate points). Considering we wouldn't be getting to The Strings until 18:00-19:00 Monday, and departing early morning on Wednesday, part of me is now thinking we may stay near NRT at the Crowne Plaza. 30K points for the stay vs 102K points. Even though it may not be all that nice... Perhaps dinner in Narita City?, then backtrack to airport on Tuesday morning and grab the train to Tokyo to points of interest (TBD). Then train out Tuesday evening back to NRT, good nights sleep, then short shuttle to airport in the morning. (Another factor that comes into this decision is we will not be traveling light- wife and I each have 23KG dive bags, and each also have a standard carry-on with camera gear.... and a backpack)

Good idea? Bad idea?
Old Nov 14, 2023, 5:46 pm

Okay, I would think for what you plan on doing, the CP around NRT will do fine. Yes it is a tired Japanese CP so no design star or anything like that, but should be clean and overall functional for such a stay.

Hauling luggage wise, getting to the IC Strings, I dare say isn't much more work than making your way to the airport shuttle and such. Once you get to the NEX on NRT and then arrive in Shinagawa the main headache is navigating the station and making your way to the Central Gate and then turning right to Konan Gate and another right at Arte Building (Dean & Deluca) and walk 200m or so (all covered) and you are at the IC. We have rollaboards of 16-17kg and it is easy peasy, but we also know where to go and all that.

The IC is of course a way nicer hotel, but whether you need that this time around or not and rather save the points / free nights is really your call.

Last edited by demue; Nov 15, 2023 at 8:15 pm
Old Dec 18, 2023, 6:36 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Jetblue Plus
I have some questions looking to both2 night this summer for my wife and kids to stay using reward points. First question is can I used for my wife and kids for the booking. Second question when. Looking at the site it seem it won't let me book a room with 3 occupancy on points for 1 room. Is it possible to book 1 room with 1 adult and2 kids? If anyone knows for any ihg property in Tokyo thanks?
Old Jan 15, 2024, 3:45 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I did a two-night stay at The Strings to use my Ambassador BOGO weekend cert. +1 and I arrived on a Saturday evening at HND Terminal 2 on a domestic ANA flight and took the Keikyu Airport Line to Shinagawa. I've added a Wikipost with (hopefully) helpful instructions on how to navigate the station and get to the hotel, which can be daunting the first time.

I booked a King Classic City View: 31.5 sqm room, which is the highest non-Premium room in the hopes that the one-class Ambassador upgrade would result in a decent outcome. I was pleasantly surprised that our upgrade was to King Premium Club Lounge Access: 38 sqm on the 32nd (top) floor. As posted above, this did *not* grant us Lounge Access, but it was a slightly larger room than the standard King Premium so that was a nice upgrade. Under the current exchange rate, our two-night stay came to about $575 all in.

We was very happy with the quality of the breakfast in the restaurant; in addition to the Japanese and Western options in the buffet, there was also a decent variety of Chinese dim sum, noodles, congee/jook, and fried rice. The only weakness was the bread and pastry options, which was pretty 'meh.' A pleasant surprise was to find that the lovely classical music heard while eating Sunday breakfast was provided by a string quartet sitting just adjacent to the restaurant. Service was top-notch.

On the day we checked out, we had plans to see a DL flight attendant friend of mine who happened to be on a one-night layover later in the morning and have lunch with a co-worker so rather than tie up the room with a late check out, we opted to check out after breakfast and left our luggage with the hotel. We were given options to pick up the bags back at the 26th floor reception area or the second floor elevator lobby; we opted for the second for convenience. We decided to splurge and take a taxi to get to our next hotel (Kimpton Shinjuku); the taxi entrance is on the first floor and reached by the same elevators used to get to the 26th floor lobby. I didn't see any taxis waiting in a queue (there really isn't room for a proper one) so I used Uber to get a taxi. It was only a 100 JPY surcharge to use the app and it had the benefits of giving the driver exact address details of the destination (helpful if one doesn't speak Japanese) and having the charge settled directly to a linked credit card.

Overall, it was a very nice way to use the BOGO getting terrific value in return in terms of room upgrade and Diamond free breakfast amenity.
jpdx and HadesNL like this.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 7:29 pm

For breakfast they come around with croissants and offer them and those were actually quite decent and in our opinion of higher quality than the standard bread selection which is okay but nothing special.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 1:09 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
For the IHGs in Japan we've stayed at this trip the bread offerings at Beppu were the best, followed by Kimpton Shinjuku, then The Strings. Agreed that the walking croissants delivered tableside were better than what was at the buffet, but nothing to write home (or post on FT) about.
demue likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.