Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2024, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Tips on how to navigate to the hotel from Shinagawa Station (JR Shinkansen, Yamanote Line, Keikyu Airport Line to/from HND, other various lines that stop in Shinagawa).

The easiest way is via the second (main) level, one up from street level. Exiting the station, there are elevated sidewalks/skyways that leads into the elevator lobby of the hotel.
  • Keikyu Line platform seems to mainly exit to street level so make your way up to the second level at the earliest opportunity.
  • All other non-Shinkansen lines exit from the platform up stairs/escalators/elevators to the second floor; follow signs to the Central Exit outside of fare control
  • Shinkansen lines have their own exits from the second floor

From the second floor, follow signs to the Konan (East) Exit of the Shinagawa Station and exit there. Best to walk on the right side of the corridor. When exiting, the Dean + DeLuca cafe will be on your right, follow the flow of traffic to the right past the store and then take a left down the long walkway and you will see the sign for the hotel as you get closer on the right side. There's a small 7-11 on the left when you get to the hotel entrance. Walk down the corridor and turn left which will lead you to the elevator banks that service the 26th floor check in lobby.
Print Wikipost

The Strings by Intercontinental Tokyo Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:42 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Write the hotel and make your preference known. As a Platinum member, they will likely accommodate you.
The T&Cs state that reward nights are always valid a king or double:

Each reward is valid only for a double or king room for one night and tax.
I'd just book it and let the hotel know that two people are coming. Best to write an email, so from their reply you know ahead of time if they mean trouble. This being Japan, however, they will most likely stick to the rules if you point them out.

HTB.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 2:34 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat Ambo, HH Gold, Marriott VC AP Owner, AA Plat, UA Silver
Stay away from this hotel at all costs.

I made a reward night booking (only allowed into the "single" bed category), and the hotel not only refuses to provide any elite benefits, but they also want to charge me 3000 yen per night to "upgrade" to a room with a king bed. And they say they are offering the one category upgrade due to my Platinum Ambassador status, despite wanting to charge me 3000 yen.

I honestly believe this hotel should be boycotted due to such egregious treatment of IHG elite members on award stays.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 3:13 am
htb

Originally Posted by lhs323
I made a reward night booking (only allowed into the "single" bed category), ... they also want to charge me 3000 yen per night to "upgrade" to a room with a king bed.
Did you escalate this with IHG? According to the T&Cs the room should be good for a double or king. So they get reimbursed from IHG for a double and king and want to charge you again for a king.

I'm also not a big fan of this hotel because of their penny-pinching mentality. This time I'm staying in the Shinagawa area and found the The Prince Sakura Tower Tokyo, Autograph Collection (Marriott) across the street to be both cheaper and with much much bigger rooms. And as Marriott Gold (by virtue of UA*G) breakfast is thrown in as well. I'm staying a second night paid with points, and breakfast will be provided again as a gold member. The hotel has other drawbacks (like no lounge), but so far I feel I'm getting a better deal.

HTB.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
They were decent enough with us two years ago. Upgraded our BRG free night to a room with two beds, and offered us the downstairs "lounge" access for 5500 yen for two people, which included breakfast. Also honored Ambassador 4pm checkout.

Shame that it seems to have gone downhill since.

Originally Posted by htb
I'm also not a big fan of this hotel because of their penny-pinching mentality. This time I'm staying in the Shinagawa area and found the The Prince Sakura Tower Tokyo, Autograph Collection (Marriott)
Wha?? Since when have Prince Hotels been affiliated with Marriott??
Old Dec 21, 2015, 12:02 pm
swy

Programs: Greyhound Vermillion Mithril
Stay away from this hotel at all costs.

I made a reward night booking (only allowed into the "single" bed category), and the hotel not only refuses to provide any elite benefits, but they also want to charge me 3000 yen per night to "upgrade" to a room with a king bed. And they say they are offering the one category upgrade due to my Platinum Ambassador status, despite wanting to charge me 3000 yen.

I honestly believe this hotel should be boycotted due to such egregious treatment of IHG elite members on award stays.
I had a slightly different experience. I stayed using an award in The Strings twice. The first time I got a standard room. The second time they gave me a suite without me asking. I think it might be an availability thing. I also got late checkout (2pm).

Originally Posted by htb
Did you escalate this with IHG? According to the T&Cs the room should be good for a double or king. So they get reimbursed from IHG for a double and king and want to charge you again for a king.
Is the new? I have never heard of a double or king guarantee. I have always thought that it's a standard room only.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 3:16 pm
htb

Is the new? I have never heard of a double or king guarantee. I have always thought that it's a standard room only.[/QUOTE]

No. The T&Cs have been like this for as long as I can remember.

HTB.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 3:20 pm
htb

Originally Posted by hailstorm
Wha?? Since when have Prince Hotels been affiliated with Marriott??
I don't know, and I'm not talking about "Prince Hotels" either. I'm specifically talking about the The Prince Sakura Tower Tokyo, Autograph Collection,
which is part of the Marriott group.

HTB.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by htb
I don't know, and I'm not talking about "Prince Hotels" either. I'm specifically talking about the The Prince Sakura Tower Tokyo, Autograph Collection,
which is part of the Marriott group.

HTB.
Which is part of the Prince Hotel chain, which I've also confirmed belongs to the Marriott Autograph Collection.

Never heard of a hotel being a part of two chains at once!
Old Dec 22, 2015, 11:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat Ambo, HH Gold, Marriott VC AP Owner, AA Plat, UA Silver
Thanks for the tip HTB.

Just to update everybody, I did push back and share the T&Cs regarding a guaranteed double or king bed with the hotel.

They agreed to "upgrade" me to a deluxe king bed room, but only as a one-time exception and only because it's my honeymoon (which is true and which I had mentioned to the hotel beforehand, in addition to citing my Platinum Ambassador status).

Good tip on Prince Sakura Marriott Autograph Collection, which I didn't realize is across the street. Unfortunately that hotel's not available using points the night I need to be in Tokyo. Otherwise I would leave Intercon the Strings for there in a heartbeat, given the superior elite treatment.

Originally Posted by htb

I'm also not a big fan of this hotel because of their penny-pinching mentality. This time I'm staying in the Shinagawa area and found the The Prince Sakura Tower Tokyo, Autograph Collection (Marriott) across the street to be both cheaper and with much much bigger rooms. And as Marriott Gold (by virtue of UA*G) breakfast is thrown in as well. I'm staying a second night paid with points, and breakfast will be provided again as a gold member. The hotel has other drawbacks (like no lounge), but so far I feel I'm getting a better deal.

HTB.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 7:19 am

Programs: Route Inn Super Mega Ultra Platmond, AA credit card stooge, Fee-Paying Customer of JL, NH, LH,
Thanks for the tip HTB.

Just to update everybody, I did push back and share the T&Cs regarding a guaranteed double or king bed with the hotel.

They agreed to "upgrade" me to a deluxe king bed room, but only as a one-time exception and only because it's my honeymoon (which is true and which I had mentioned to the hotel beforehand, in addition to citing my Platinum Ambassador status).

Good tip on Prince Sakura Marriott Autograph Collection, which I didn't realize is across the street. Unfortunately that hotel's not available using points the night I need to be in Tokyo. Otherwise I would leave Intercon the Strings for there in a heartbeat, given the superior elite treatment.
I found their Chase Free Nights calendar leaves something to be desired.

You can't have anything at this hotel without a suitcase full of yen, I guess. Too bad - it was very nice the last time I stayed there. BTW, I used my free night at the IC ANA Tokyo in Akasaka instead, which was much more accomodating.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 5:23 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
We have had a decent (paid) stay here over a year ago and were upgraded to a Premier (King) room, which unfortunately has a very tight lay out and feels quite small due to the entry way with closet.

I can't quite complain that much as we got a corporate rate that is in the low 20K JPY incl. breakfast and given the need to be at Shinagawa plus the NEX / Shinkansen need it is still our preferred place for an upcoming stay (got nothing with Marriott).

So I noticed that I can book a Superior room on our corporate at the same price than a King / Twin Deluxe, but I can't quite make out what the room would be like. The description talks a bit about premier without calling it a Premier room and pricing on a normal Best Flex rate is the same as the Premier rooms.

So I'm wondering if any ever has booked / stayed in that room category? If they do Ambassador upgrade on top of that to a Suite that would be nice of course, but usually their reservations folks manage to totally mock up any reservation they touch for Ambassador or RA upgrades so that it becomes non-viewable online. Then one cannot check unless I maybe call the contact center and ask them to email me the reservation again hoping it reflects the "new" room category. A pain, same as it is conversing with them.

Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 12:59 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Okay to update on my query regarding the mysterious "Superior" room category. It seems like it is equivalent / treated the same than booking a "Premier" type room.

I had made a booking, it was modified by the hotel and (after calling IHG Reservations and having them email me the latest version of the reservation) I could see that it was updated to King Suite which is a pretty nice jump that I didn't expect (on a regular Best Flex rate the price is 100-120% more than Premier). I'm (Spire) Ambassador, so a regular 1-level upgrade, but a good one in this case.

My one gripe for ages with the Strings is that they seem to be one of the few ICs in the world that I have stayed at that continuously manages to screw up a guests reservation. After they go in and modify it to reflect an AMB or RA upgrade the reservations becomes non-viewable via web site or mobile app and can't be cancelled either. One has to call IHG or the hotel. A pain.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 3:33 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
Some Questions about The Strings Hotel

Hello all,

I'm a bit of a newbie to the IHG forum and I'll be upfront and honest that although I am a Platinum rewards club member I'm actually not too au fait with the workings of the programme, so apologies in advance.

I have a reservation for 4nights at this hotel in October but across 3 rooms. None of the others in my party hold not want IHG membership so I was wondering, can I collect points across all three rooms?

I'm also not sure how many points I receive for my stay (is it per night or per stay?) as this is an ANA hotel and I'm not 100pc sure how they credit to my account.

Do the other IHG offers (like food and drink) get credited at ANA hotels too? Are these counted as qualifying points?

Lastly, because this stay will be a celebration with my family, I'm thinking of making sure there is some Champage for our arrival or buying some in the bar - does anyone happen to know or remember roughly what they have on the menu and approximate prices?

Thanks very much for the assistance everyone.

BR,
aerodude
Old Oct 28, 2016, 4:15 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Flying Blue (KLM) Platinum, Oneworld (BA) Sapphire, *A (Aegean) Gold, IHG Spire RA,
Any recent stays on Reward nights and how RA Spire is upgraded? (if at all).
it's over Christmas time and didn't want to do paid rates as it's a private trip.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by christravelblog
Any recent stays on Reward nights and how RA Spire is upgraded? (if at all).
it's over Christmas time and didn't want to do paid rates as it's a private trip.
Normally they will not upgrade on reward nights, not Amb and not RA. They only make the single bed / 1 person rooms available for rewards, so you have argue your way into a Double room based on IHG rewards T&CS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.