Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2024, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Tips on how to navigate to the hotel from Shinagawa Station (JR Shinkansen, Yamanote Line, Keikyu Airport Line to/from HND, other various lines that stop in Shinagawa).

The easiest way is via the second (main) level, one up from street level. Exiting the station, there are elevated sidewalks/skyways that leads into the elevator lobby of the hotel.
  • Keikyu Line platform seems to mainly exit to street level so make your way up to the second level at the earliest opportunity.
  • All other non-Shinkansen lines exit from the platform up stairs/escalators/elevators to the second floor; follow signs to the Central Exit outside of fare control
  • Shinkansen lines have their own exits from the second floor

From the second floor, follow signs to the Konan (East) Exit of the Shinagawa Station and exit there. Best to walk on the right side of the corridor. When exiting, the Dean + DeLuca cafe will be on your right, follow the flow of traffic to the right past the store and then take a left down the long walkway and you will see the sign for the hotel as you get closer on the right side. There's a small 7-11 on the left when you get to the hotel entrance. Walk down the corridor and turn left which will lead you to the elevator banks that service the 26th floor check in lobby.
Print Wikipost

The Strings by Intercontinental Tokyo Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2013, 6:50 am

Programs: UNITED 1P
I am just confused about this 2nd person charge ath the Strings. this is not a ryokan right so why would it be different if it's 1 person or 2 ppl? And how would htye know if the room has 1 peroson, 2 ppl or more?
Old Aug 10, 2013, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nanirina
I am just confused about this 2nd person charge ath the Strings. this is not a ryokan right so why would it be different if it's 1 person or 2 ppl? And how would htye know if the room has 1 peroson, 2 ppl or more?
Why would it make a difference if it was a hotel or a ryokan? A hotel can do what it wants.

Maybe you could sneak a second person in (though you wouldn't get things like a second room key or extra amenities like pajamas), but the fact that a Japanese just wouldn't do that is one of the reasons why I like this country.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 8:50 am

Programs: UNITED 1P
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Why would it make a difference if it was a hotel or a ryokan? A hotel can do what it wants.

Maybe you could sneak a second person in (though you wouldn't get things like a second room key or extra amenities like pajamas), but the fact that a Japanese just wouldn't do that is one of the reasons why I like this country.
It makes a difference because often a Ryokan includes meals so 2 ppl vs 1 person means different costs. But if it's just the same room for 2 ppl vs 1, I don't see why there would be extra charges.

And how would you know a Japanese wouldn't do it? that's just too much generalization.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 11:50 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
It makes a difference because often a Ryokan includes meals so 2 ppl vs 1 person means different costs. But if it's just the same room for 2 ppl vs 1, I don't see why there would be extra charges.

And how would you know a Japanese wouldn't do it? that's just too much generalization.
What always surprised me is that most international hotels charge the same whether you book for one or for two persons. I've come to like it, though.

What I hate about 2nd person charges with IHG is that it's shown as an "additional fee" even if you are searching rooms for 2 persons. That's misleading. And at 7000 Yen ($70) for the second person per night (10000 Yen/$100 for rates which include breakfast) I'd vote with my feet. That's way over the top! I would let the hotel know, though.

In the Strings bringing in a second person is not easy because the hotel is rather small and the doormen tend to know you by name. And no -- I cannot confirm that Japanese wouldn't attempt to sneak in a second person.

HTB.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 2:02 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
I just remembered: if you buy the Ambassador status, you get double room occupancy for single rate as a benefit.

HTB.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 1:28 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Dia, AClub Plat, Hyatt Dia, FB Gold, LH SEN, TK *G
Any experience in booking this hotel with a corporate rate and being (or not) asked to show ID upon checking?

Thanks
Old Oct 10, 2013, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yasuki
From 20th in January, the rooms would be divided into four categories which are classic, delux, premium and suite. RA would be upgraded to the premium club if they book the classic room. But they need to pay 10k yen for one, or 15k yen for two persons for the club benefit.

http://intercontinental-strings.jp/2013/rooms/

Sorry. Only in Japanese.
Stayed here on a BRG yesterday with my wife, and we got the club benefit (called The Dining Room Passport) for only 6000 yen total. With full breakfast buffet included, I actually considered that a pretty good deal.

I am a Platinum Ambassador, but not sure if that had anything to do with.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 5:08 am

Programs: BA - Blue
I am going to Tokyo in April/May and would like to stay and the Strings hotel for about 4 or 5 nights.

I have enough IHG points for 2 nights free as I can book a standard room for 50,000 points a night. But is this a good use of my points? I know more about Avios points than hotel points.

I think it will save me something like £140 a night. As I am an Ambassador I have the voucher for a free night on a weekend as well.

An alternative is to use them at the Berchtesgaden Resort in Europe which is priced at 312 euros a night, there I can get 3 nights free and have another holiday later in the year, that seems much better value.

Does anyone have any advice getting the best value from my points?
Old Feb 1, 2014, 5:45 am

Programs: SQ
Originally Posted by pommyboi
Does anyone have any advice getting the best value from my points?
50,000 points can be purchased for $350. If the rate is less than $350 I usually will save the points unless there are no affordable options. Tokyo has plenty of various options, so unless you are set on this IC, I'd look into some other options. I stayed in the Sheraton recently for $160 as an example. The other IC has pricing at 45,000 points which is slightly a better value.

The Berchtesgaden property at 312 Euros is a better value, even more so with the lower redemption cost at 35,000 points/night. I will say that this property is usually priced closer to 200E/night.
Old May 14, 2014, 9:31 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, PC Plat, lots of miles but no status w/ usual *A, OW & ST suspects
Does anyone know if this hotel will allow 2 parents + 2 kids (one is 2 years old, the other is 3 months) to stay together in one room?
Old Jan 3, 2015, 2:38 am
swy

Programs: Greyhound Vermillion Mithril
I have a few questions about an upcoming stay at The Strings, so I sent an email to [email protected]. It has been 5 days but I still haven't heard back from them. Is there any other email I can try? I'd try to avoid calling if I can. Thanks~
Old Oct 18, 2015, 10:41 am

Can anyone confirm whether the property still charges for 2nd person on an award booking? When I asked IHG, they said there is no additional charge for 2nd person although I will only get a single bed room and that a King bed might be available at the hotel's discretion....
Old Nov 3, 2015, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by bradcc
Can anyone confirm whether the property still charges for 2nd person on an award booking? When I asked IHG, they said there is no additional charge for 2nd person although I will only get a single bed room and that a King bed might be available at the hotel's discretion....
Just stayed there using IHG anniversary free night and combined with an award stay, no charges for 2nd person. Their standard room is a classic room (with one full size bed), but they may upgrade you to a superior room which has one king size bed depends on availability.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by VacationCat
Just stayed there using IHG anniversary free night and combined with an award stay, no charges for 2nd person. Their standard room is a classic room (with one full size bed), but they may upgrade you to a superior room which has one king size bed depends on availability.
For a rewards night or chase anniversay rewards night, i can only book a room with Room Type: 1 SGL BED 1 PERS

Does it mean i'd get a Single Bed for 1 person only? I have 2 persons and need a bigger room.

It would then seem like ANA IC will be a better choice since the rewards night room can accommodate 2 persons. But from the hotel reviews, it seems the The Strings is shorter walk to the subway, which i prefer cause i have an elderly person with me.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hoawide
For a rewards night or chase anniversay rewards night, i can only book a room with Room Type: 1 SGL BED 1 PERS

Does it mean i'd get a Single Bed for 1 person only? I have 2 persons and need a bigger room.

It would then seem like ANA IC will be a better choice since the rewards night room can accommodate 2 persons. But from the hotel reviews, it seems the The Strings is shorter walk to the subway, which i prefer cause i have an elderly person with me.
Write the hotel and make your preference known. As a Platinum member, they will likely accommodate you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.