Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2024, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Tips on how to navigate to the hotel from Shinagawa Station (JR Shinkansen, Yamanote Line, Keikyu Airport Line to/from HND, other various lines that stop in Shinagawa).

The easiest way is via the second (main) level, one up from street level. Exiting the station, there are elevated sidewalks/skyways that leads into the elevator lobby of the hotel.
  • Keikyu Line platform seems to mainly exit to street level so make your way up to the second level at the earliest opportunity.
  • All other non-Shinkansen lines exit from the platform up stairs/escalators/elevators to the second floor; follow signs to the Central Exit outside of fare control
  • Shinkansen lines have their own exits from the second floor

From the second floor, follow signs to the Konan (East) Exit of the Shinagawa Station and exit there. Best to walk on the right side of the corridor. When exiting, the Dean + DeLuca cafe will be on your right, follow the flow of traffic to the right past the store and then take a left down the long walkway and you will see the sign for the hotel as you get closer on the right side. There's a small 7-11 on the left when you get to the hotel entrance. Walk down the corridor and turn left which will lead you to the elevator banks that service the 26th floor check in lobby.
Print Wikipost

The Strings by Intercontinental Tokyo Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2012, 1:14 pm

Programs: AS 100K, AA Gold, IC Diamond AMB, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cazane
At The Strings I got a bottle of wine, too, in October this year. Anyway, currently the IC Tokyo Bay has the best benefits in my opinion, too.
I thought everyone gets the wine there? Nice French red...but still for everyone.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:04 pm

Programs: AMEX PLT, AA PPro, Spire AMB
The three IC's confuse me....

IC Tokyo Bay's rate (that pops up when you do the initial search) doesn't include taxes/service charge/second person.

IC Tokyo ANA's rate includes a second person and all applicable taxes.

IC Strings doesn't include second person charges.

Makes it a headache to compare the three sometimes. I ended up forgoing all 3 and booking the Shinjuku Prince for ease of the JR line and partying around the area. Will try strings for a weekend...
Old Dec 6, 2012, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by paulmoscow
Does it mean RAs are still getting club rooms at the Strings? Or is it a variation of "a club room without lounge access"?
I'm never going back to the strings, and haven't been there since 2011 so can't compare.

Originally Posted by cazane
At The Strings I got a bottle of wine, too, in October this year. Anyway, currently the IC Tokyo Bay has the best benefits in my opinion, too.
But when I was there yes I did get a bottle of wine.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 1:48 am

Programs: DL GM and so on
According to the RA experience thread, this hotel does indeed "upgrade" Royal Ambassadors to club rooms without lounge access (which in practice means no upgrade at all.)
Old Dec 6, 2012, 3:09 am

Got the official version of their rules:

Regarding room upgrade for Royal Ambassador, IHG hotels in Tokyo had been changed this policy since last September as you mentioned such as a room would be upgraded into Club intercontinental floor but without club benefit. Therefore this benefit is only the guarantee of high floor for Royal Ambassador at our hotel. We apologize to cause you this inconvenience.

Since we heard many opinions, we decided to change room category from 20th January 2013. We believe it helps to solve this room upgrade.

If you have further inquiry, please feel free to contact us.
Will see what that mysterious new room category means.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 8:04 am

Programs: AS 100K, AA Gold, IC Diamond AMB, HH Diamond
Got the official version of their rules:

Will see what that mysterious new room category means.
Interesting. Did you further inquire as to what they are doing as of January?
Old Dec 6, 2012, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by TheBeerHunter
Did you further inquire as to what they are doing as of January?
I will be visiting Tokyo at the beginning of January, so it's a moot point for me. I suspect they are going to invent executive rooms for the sole purpose of RA upgrades.

Last edited by paulmoscow; Dec 6, 2012 at 11:12 am
Old Dec 7, 2012, 1:29 am

Programs: NH-PLT/SFC, JL-JMG/JGP, SPG-PLT, HH-DIA, GP-DIA,PC/IC-P/RA,MR-GLD
From 20th in January, the rooms would be divided into four categories which are classic, delux, premium and suite. RA would be upgraded to the premium club if they book the classic room. But they need to pay 10k yen for one, or 15k yen for two persons for the club benefit.

http://intercontinental-strings.jp/2013/rooms/

Sorry. Only in Japanese.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 1:47 am

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, Flying Blue Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by yasuki
From 20th in January, the rooms would be divided into four categories which are classic, delux, premium and suite. RA would be upgraded to the premium club if they book the classic room. But they need to pay 10k yen for one, or 15k yen for two persons for the club benefit.

Sorry. Only in Japanese.
Do you know the difference between the first three categories? I thought they only had two types of rooms, classic and suites - with the club-room being a classic room, on higher floor, with club benefits? Maybe I am wrong? Well, well, I am glad I had my 7 weeks stay in Tokyo last Christmas, when we still got club at both ANA and The Strings. Not sure I would have opted for a 7 weeks stay without the club-benefits....

Xxx.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 1:55 am

Thanks for the link. Now it's obvious that traditionally RAs got a one-level upgrade with club access.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 2:10 am

Programs: NH-PLT/SFC, JL-JMG/JGP, SPG-PLT, HH-DIA, GP-DIA,PC/IC-P/RA,MR-GLD
Classic(クラシック) room is superior room now.
http://intercontinental-strings.jp/2013/rooms/post.html

Delux(デラックス) room is delux room now.
http://intercontinental-strings.jp/2...ms/post_1.html

Premium(プレミア) room is premium (corner) room now.
http://intercontinental-strings.jp/2...ms/post_2.html

Even if you stay at the classic room, you could choose club benefit with extra money as well as IC ANA Tokyo.

Originally Posted by no-backpacker
Do you know the difference between the first three categories? I thought they only had two types of rooms, classic and suites - with the club-room being a classic room, on higher floor, with club benefits? Maybe I am wrong? Well, well, I am glad I had my 7 weeks stay in Tokyo last Christmas, when we still got club at both ANA and The Strings. Not sure I would have opted for a 7 weeks stay without the club-benefits....

Xxx.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 7:38 am

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, Flying Blue Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Diamond

Even if you stay at the classic room, you could choose club benefit with extra money as well as IC ANA Tokyo.
Thanks Yasuki. I know I can pay extra for club benefits, but luckily, last year we got it for free as an RA. That's why we chose to stay all the 7 weeks at IC ANA and The Strings. If we hadn't gotten it, we would have chosen another hotel simply because it would have been cheaper.

Xxx.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards

Sorry. Only in Japanese.
10k yens are a 100 euros - quite a lot for the non-existing club. "Club access" at The Strings being a free happy hour at the lobby bar. Really bad deal and really very, very bad RA status acknowledgement. At the prices The Strings charges, the Hyatt (of Lost in Translation fame) starts to look like a really good deal.

A really like(d) Tokyo for the easy mattress hopping possibilities (4 ICs, so 4 nights could be very rewarding) but I am getting second thoughts.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 8:19 am

I've booked the IC Tokyo Bay for my next stay. It's a little bit off the way, but seems to treat RAs better than two other ICs.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I've booked the IC Tokyo Bay for my next stay. It's a little bit off the way, but seems to treat RAs better than two other ICs.
+1 Last month from whatever is their most basic room they upgraded to corner club river view ^ The club is not much to write home about, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.