Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

“Luckiest Loser” competition. IC hotels answer to Hilton devaluation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Luckiest Loser” competition. IC hotels answer to Hilton devaluation

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2010, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by soitgoes
My guess is 1.
Note:This was the invitation to guess the Over/Under on what number of HHonors points it takes to make the top 20,000 entrants.

You could well be right that there will be less than 20,000 entrants.

I recall over 10 years ago that I read that Mileage Plus had over 23 million members. If you blow that up by more than 10 years of growth, cut it way down for HH vs. MP, cut it way down again for those who follow this stuff and act on it, that's still probably a lot of people. Especially given the newbies that promos like the BA Chase Visa deal have brought to FT. Of course newbies are not likely to raise that over/under much. I really don't know where this one will come out, but I'm interested in seeing where it winds up.

It really is a brilliant, albeit aggressive, stroke by Priority Club. And seeding my account with 20,000 free points would get me to start thinking about them again.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 11:10 am

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
Originally Posted by alqasimk
thanks OP.
I signed up today with HHonor online, then submitted my PC# along with the HHonor# and got the 1k point ^
I entered 0 points, 0 nights with Hilton and it worked.
Signed up family members, leaving the HH# field blank. Each earned the 1K points. No need to open an HH account.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 2:32 pm

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Excellent! What a program. I have 120K points and hopefully I will "win" back some of my lost points. Got my 1K points as well.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by PCMflyer
You just have to love this. Hilton screws with its best customers and PC figures out how to gain leverage from it.

My HH balance is over 93,000. i just redeemed 250,000 prior to the devaluation. I hope my remaining balance is enough for the top 20,000. I was asked to provide my account statement and did so via the upload.
I was not asked to upload my statement even though I have over 250K HHonors points. Are others in this same situation being proactive and faxing in a statement?
Old Feb 6, 2010, 9:24 am

Location: Cary, NC, USA - AA Plt 3mm/DL Dia 2mm, Hil/Dia Life, Bonvoy/Titanium Life, Spire
I sent in my confirmation, which was 4 screen shots in a word document since there was a lot of activity in the last year trying to keep my Diamond status intact. I earn and burn but still have over 200,000 HHonors points so I'm hoping I make the cut. There may be a lot of eligible folks with higher totals that don't submit by 2/28.

-outoftown
Old Feb 6, 2010, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
For those of you using screenshots - this may be a dumb question, but what do you use as "proof" that the point totals are current?

Thanks!
Old Feb 6, 2010, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
For those of you using screenshots - this may be a dumb question, but what do you use as "proof" that the point totals are current?
First of all, HHonors doesn't have an Account Summary screen (like PC claims), it only has an Account Summary section which shows up on several pages. If you follow this promo's web instruction, you'll find that they're asking you to snapshot (the top of) the Printer Friendly version of your HHonors Activity screen, which has the account summary at the left of it, has the date generated at the top right, and has the most recent HHonors points activity (only the most recent few will show up on a screen save, because you have to scrolll to see more).

I wonder how many people followed the instructions and did this page, versus misunderstood and did the page you get when you log in (that has your current reservations, recent stays, etc)? I don't know if that screen has a date on it, but the Printer Friendly version of the HHonors Activity screen does.

... On another note, interesting that they are asking other questions, like your status level over at HH (will there be any status matches as a result of this), and a question about which program you use most (with many programs, not just HH and PC, as choices you can make).

So (assuming you are answering truthfully), they are learning a lot about your non-PC stays from this promo (more than I can think of any other program knowing about people's participation in other programs)! Until you participate in this promo they're just guessing that you might belong to other programs too, but after you particpate they know...
Old Feb 6, 2010, 10:16 am

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
They're giving it out to 20k people, so I'd certainly give it a shot. I've been quite happy with the promotions from IHG.
I just did this for my dad. He has over 400,000 points, and he was not asked for verification. So I'm guessing a lot of people have tons of points and are taking advantage of this.

Last edited by chicaloca453; Feb 6, 2010 at 10:31 am
Old Feb 6, 2010, 10:21 am

Programs: UA 1K/3.7MM, Hawn Platinum, Hilton Diamond, PC Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Natl Exe Elite
Thanks for the info. I have almost 400K HH points.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chicaloca453
I just did this for my dad. He has over 400,000 points, and he was only given the 1000 points. So I'm guessing a lot of people have tons of points and are taking advantage of this.
Only the 1000 points are instant. The rest, even for those who get them, are not determined right away. So you can't yet tell who will get more than 1000 points and who won't.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 10:31 am

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Only the 1000 points are instant. The rest, even for those who get them, are not determined right away. So you can't yet tell who will get more than 1000 points and who won't.
I know that, but there was also no request for verification of his balance. So I'm wondering if they just got too many and are waiting til the end or if the projected number now is over 431,000.

I did edit my post to say he was not asked for verification.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 10:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
all i can say is

WHAT A GREAT EFFIN PROMO!!!!!

In your face Hh I love it...
Old Feb 7, 2010, 4:14 am

Programs: PC Plat Royal Amb, Plat SPG
Originally Posted by DoubleJ
Signed up family members, leaving the HH# field blank. Each earned the 1K points. No need to open an HH account.
Thanks for the info..
Tried it with my wife's account and it worked !
Old Feb 7, 2010, 7:25 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sdsearch
... On another note, interesting that they are asking other questions, like your status level over at HH (will there be any status matches as a result of this), and a question about which program you use most (with many programs, not just HH and PC, as choices you can make).

So (assuming you are answering truthfully), they are learning a lot about your non-PC stays from this promo (more than I can think of any other program knowing about people's participation in other programs)! Until you participate in this promo they're just guessing that you might belong to other programs too, but after you particpate they know...
I noticed this, too, but was willing to fork over some interesting marketing info to them in exchange for 1000 points. I'd done a pretty good job of racking up enough points to get that last Hilton reward redemption before January 15 and then putting the Hilton Amex in the sock drawer, so I had only 8,000 HHonors points in my account. They didn't ask for verification.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 10:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
for the free 1k; you really can just input anything you want and they don't have to anything more about you than you want to provide; including hh number.. its only if you want too win and are lucky enough to win. the next round of points

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.