Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2014, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Before posting please read POSTS 1-3 for a comprehensive overview of how to select a program.
If you already plan to focus on one particular alliance, please visit the sticky in the relevant forum: Deciding on a oneworld FFP or Which SkyTeam FFP or Choosing a Star FFP

List of frequent flyer programs from Wikipedia

Questionnaire: Copy and paste into your post
Provide the requested information.

1. What is most important to you in a frequent flyer program (FFP)?
upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access, etc.
>>> Reply:

2. How many miles do you usually fly each year? How many flights/sectors?
less than 25000 miles, 50000+ miles and 20-25 flights, etc.
>>> Reply:

3. What fare class do you usually buy?
first, business, premium economy, economy
>>> Reply:

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
>>> Reply:

5. Which routes do you fly most often?
transatlantic, domestic USA, intra-Asia, etc.
>>> Reply:

6. What is your home airport?
>>> Reply:

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any?
>>> Reply:

8. What are your preferred airlines, if any?
>>> Reply:
Print Wikipost

Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
NYC/BOS/DC to Hawaii is a very popular leisure route. At certain times of the year even more so. [People travelling with their own money]. 100's if not 1000's of people with high ff miles balance, often from cc spend, are looking for award flights & (free) upgrades at the same time. A lot do not succeed.
So airlines can charge $$$
NYC-HNL is a greater distance than NYC-LHR
Route map Great Circle Mapper
Right, but would any program offer reward redemptions from the east coast to Hawaii that are worth more than regular domestic travel?
Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by dmu660
Hi All, I am really confused as I am about to move to AMS and looking at the FFP of KL I see several issues with Flyingblue
- no match program
- slow build up of status (with XP resetting on every status upgrade)
- no benefits other than priority checkin and priority queues at the airport

I see that DL Skymiles provides all the benefits of KL Flyingblue plus more on the potential upgrades side for my stateside travel.

My question is which program do you recommend for a business traveler moving to AMS?
Second question (I was not able to find info on this online) is whether or not I need any DL flights for status match or requalification? Can I just requalify every year or meet challenge requirements flying DL/AF only? I remember for example United had a requirement of at least 3 flights on UA metal.

Thanks - please see below for my info.

(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?
upgrades - but I am not expecting much within EU
lounge
priority checkin and free luggage and free seat selection
(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
Economy About 80k to 130k. 40 to 60 flights.
(3) What types of fares do you usually buy ?
Economy
(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Airline most flown? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Currently flying only TK out of IST. After move to AMS most likely will fly KL mostly. I get to decide what I fly. I fly for work.
(5) Which routes and airlines do you fly most often
Out of AMS most likely 10 to 15 IST roundtrips, 1 or 2 US roundtrips and 10 to 15 EU/CIS region roundtrips.
(6) What is your home airport?
New home will be AMS
(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in an airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
I currently have EP (top tier) with Turkish
(8) Preferred Airlines
KL for flights
KL or Delta for miles program
It depends are where you mostly fly. I'm in AMS, and I'm United. Sometimes I have to reposition to either BRU or DUS for a cheaper (business class) fare, but train connections are good. I am UA 1K two years running.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 3:14 pm

Hi everyone! I'd love your input on where I should credit my air travel (between FB and DL Skymiles). I have a couple trips coming up that will give me status for 2020, I'm just not sure where to credit them, or which program to use. (Trips are LAX-BKK via AMS on KLM metal and ticket and LAX-CDG AF metal and AF ticket, all on Z fare.) Stated differently: I am trying to figure out if Delta GM or FB Gold will benefit me more. Part of me thinks that I should go with Delta due to RDM earned, as well as the fact that if I fly J for intl flights, I should already have access to lounges.

>>> Reply: Good redemption rates for business-class travel, lower/waived fees for SDC, lounge access.

>>> Reply: Approx 50k miles

>>> Reply: Business for Intl, Coach for domestic flight less than 3.5 hours. I am not a giant, but at 6 feet 4 inches, I have no desire to sit in coach on a TATL/TPAC flight. I'd rather pay to fly J than chance it on an upgrade clearing.

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
>>> Reply: Yes. I travel mostly for pleasure. I own a business and may do a little increased traveling for work, perhaps 1 x 2 transcon flights per year (LAX-NYC).

>>> Reply: LAX-CDG due to family in Paris. For domestic: LAX to SFO, LAX to PDX, and LAX to NYC, in that order.

>>> Reply: LAX

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any?
>>> Reply: Currently have Gold with AA and FO with Delta.

>>> Reply: Whichever one has the largest/widest business class seat on the destination I am headed to.

Last edited by drjeffrock; Feb 18, 2019 at 3:29 pm Reason: Added additional info
Old Feb 27, 2019, 6:20 pm

Just got a new job that has me in Chicago. Never done anything like this before and am needing help in deciding which Airline to use. So any help would be appreciated. Thanks

upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access, etc.
>>> Reply: Just overall the best. I'll be mostly using Carry-On. Eventually, I will pick up a CC for whichever airline I use the most.

>>> Reply: I should reach the top of any program within the year. I'll fly round trip every week and occasionally twice. with a few connections each time depending on the city I fly into.

>>> Reply: Economy

>>> Reply: I get to choose. It's for work, with pleasure 1 or 2 weekends a month. (Mostly to the west coast)

>>> Reply: Domestic USA (Mostly Midwest, I won't travel to the West Coast/SLC area unless for pleasure and will not travel hardly ever to the DC-Boston Metro much, but will everywhere else).

>>> Reply: Chicago (Haven't decided on ORD or MDW).

>>> Reply: No Status. Completely New.

>>> Reply: No preference, just the best one for the occasional flight out to LAX/SFO/SAN. And when I get the points, use them for International Travel.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:49 pm

Programs: Asiana Diamond, Marriott Plat/Gold
Originally Posted by bnwinter
Just got a new job that has me in Chicago. Never done anything like this before and am needing help in deciding which Airline to use. So any help would be appreciated. Thanks

>>> Reply: Just overall the best. I'll be mostly using Carry-On. Eventually, I will pick up a CC for whichever airline I use the most.

>>> Reply: I should reach the top of any program within the year. I'll fly round trip every week and occasionally twice. with a few connections each time depending on the city I fly into.

>>> Reply: Economy

>>> Reply: I get to choose. It's for work, with pleasure 1 or 2 weekends a month. (Mostly to the west coast)

>>> Reply: Domestic USA (Mostly Midwest, I won't travel to the West Coast/SLC area unless for pleasure and will not travel hardly ever to the DC-Boston Metro much, but will everywhere else).

>>> Reply: Chicago (Haven't decided on ORD or MDW).

>>> Reply: No Status. Completely New.

>>> Reply: No preference, just the best one for the occasional flight out to LAX/SFO/SAN. And when I get the points, use them for International Travel.
Honestly I'd say if not United, then AA. ORD is UA's biggest hub, so you'll have lots of options. I'm not too knowledgable about midwest flight routes anymore, so I can't comment on that too well, but I imagine most carriers are similar. MDW is smaller but does serve southwest and some other airlines that don't fly into ORD.

I've redeemed with both programs, and UA definitely has an easier award booking system.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards
AA or UA

>>> Reply: Upgrades

>>> Reply: 50-60,000

>>> Reply: Domestic (15,000 miles) - First/PE .... Intl (40-50,000 miles) - Economy/PE

>>> Reply: Yes, 50,000 miles for work, 5-10,000 pleasure (unless intl then more)

>>> Reply: 10-15 per year I fly domestic (DSM to ORD), 2 times per year I fly intl (DSM/ORD to SIN), then a couple flights per year to random places for pleasure

>>> Reply: DSM for normal flights, can fly from DSM, MCI, MSP, OMA, ORD for INTL

>>> Reply: No just started flying this much

>>> Reply: AA/UA because DSM to ORD direct flights only occur with those two airlines.

Okay here's my situation

I will get plenty of miles on either, my thought surround two specific issues.

1. Mandatory spending - I can manipulate AA on my flights to SIN by booking on a partner airlines and getting MQDs based on miles, which will far exceed PQDs on United metal.

2. AA only flies Embraer jets on my DSM to ORD route so I can book Economy or First, but United flies 737 and A320 with PE which won't be such a big deal when I get status but will be while I work to get status.

My thought is to sacrifice some comfort on AA because I can probably manipulate my MQD over $6,000 and gain better status than I can on United, but am hoping to hear if anyone disagrees and why?

Thanks!
Old Mar 17, 2019, 5:50 pm
1BI

Upgrades, awards redemption rate, and baggage allowance in that order. I’m pretty sure for what I’m flying I wouldn’t get any lounge access unless I get an associated credit card or buy a membership, right?

Probably 25k-30k over 50 to 60 segments annually to be expected. Plus some a couple thousand extra over a couple more segments here and there.

Economy

I can choose my airline, though always economy for work. Most of my travel is for work, with the occasional leisure trip.

Chicago-ATL (vast majority), Chicago-NYC. Am also planning a couple of trips to Europe (Paris, Athens, Germany) and one to Hawaii in the next year or two. Also a random Chicago to SEA or LAX thrown in for good measure.

ORD/MDW, with a slight preference for ORD.

No status. A smattering of miles (<10k each) with the various US carriers. 100k+ transferable to a couple of airlines via Chase UR.

No preference.

Thanks!
Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:09 pm

Switching Alliances

I currently have AS Gold which I matched to DL Gold last year. My flying is changing drastically so I'm looking at changing up my flyer program. I need to decide in the next two days because I have a trip I need to book:

>>> Reply: Upgrade/flight comfort/lounge access. I have to fly economy per work by I'm 6'4" and need extra leg room. Any program that can get me extra legroom on international is huge. The lounge access on either side is a plus. Redemption and miles aren't a huge deal.

>>> Reply: Definitely 50k+ and looking at breaking 75k this year.

>>> Reply: Economy. I might be able to swing a couple premium economy flights be most will be on the cheapest ticket...

>>> Reply: All work. I can choose airlines but not class of service or booking class.

>>> Reply: 75% Asia with a mix between Hong Kong, Shanghai and Seoul. 25% to London/Germany

>>> Reply: LAX

>>> Reply: Gold on Delta & Alaska.

>>> Reply: No strong preference.

I'm torn between the big 3 US airlines. I'm currently on Delta and I like their earn rates on Korean Air but I wish they had more direct flights to China.
AA was seeming like a great bet, but the lack of earning on cheap Cathay Pacific fares all but eliminates that partner for me and they don't have anyway to get to Seoul easily.
United is the wildcard. I have basically no experience with their programs but their LAX to Asia is limited. I'm very nervous about connecting through SFO as that airport backups often.

To summarize I'm looking for the FFP with the best in-flight perks with decent earnings on partner economy tickets so I can keep earning status.

Thank you!
Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:45 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by amarine88
I I'm currently on Delta and I like their earn rates on Korean Air but I wish they had more direct flights to China.
AA was seeming like a great bet, but the lack of earning on cheap Cathay Pacific fares all but eliminates that partner for me and they don't have anyway to get to Seoul easily.
United is the wildcard. I have basically no experience with their programs but their LAX to Asia is limited. I'm very nervous about connecting through SFO as that airport backups often.

To summarize I'm looking for the FFP with the best in-flight perks with decent earnings on partner economy tickets so I can keep earning status.
The one thing you have to consider about UA at SFO is that they have frequent service between LAX and SFO, so you can always time those international connections, particularly during our rainy season (more rain due Wednesday), to fly into SFO a few hours early (thinking at least 4 hour connections this time of year). Would save you a lot of aggravation if you misconnect. I know one Reno flyer that misconnected last year, in upgraded business to Asia, and the best UA could do was route him on a partner in coach when he misconnected. If you're not ready to deal with that a couple times a year, UA at SFO is probably not for you, though that doesn't rule out UA partners that might fly to Asia from LAX. Chances are you're not going to get the extra legroom you might see as an elite flyer on UA, but you would avoid SFO.

Let me toss out another wild card for you (and my primary carrier these days): Alaska. They have different earning rates on partners which include Cathay, JAL, Singapore, Hainan and AA (AA accrues miles only on international flights). Some of the cheap Cathay fares bring in some minimal miles (25-50%), and Qantas, who I regularly fly, brings in 100% miles on economy fares, based on distance, plus your Alaska elite bonus. A mid tier Alaska flyer accrues 30,000 miles on a west coast-SYD discount economy ticket, as an example. Look at the Alaska partner chart and see if you could make partners work on the routes you fly. The various fare classes are spelled out pretty clearly. Some of Alaska's award tickets are less than what AA and UA charge, too (F to/from Australia is 70K on Alaska while the same seat is 110K on AA).
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rline-partners
Old Mar 18, 2019, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
The one thing you have to consider about UA at SFO is that they have frequent service between LAX and SFO, so you can always time those international connections, particularly during our rainy season (more rain due Wednesday), to fly into SFO a few hours early (thinking at least 4 hour connections this time of year). Would save you a lot of aggravation if you misconnect. I know one Reno flyer that misconnected last year, in upgraded business to Asia, and the best UA could do was route him on a partner in coach when he misconnected. If you're not ready to deal with that a couple times a year, UA at SFO is probably not for you, though that doesn't rule out UA partners that might fly to Asia from LAX. Chances are you're not going to get the extra legroom you might see as an elite flyer on UA, but you would avoid SFO.

Let me toss out another wild card for you (and my primary carrier these days): Alaska. They have different earning rates on partners which include Cathay, JAL, Singapore, Hainan and AA (AA accrues miles only on international flights). Some of the cheap Cathay fares bring in some minimal miles (25-50%), and Qantas, who I regularly fly, brings in 100% miles on economy fares, based on distance, plus your Alaska elite bonus. A mid tier Alaska flyer accrues 30,000 miles on a west coast-SYD discount economy ticket, as an example. Look at the Alaska partner chart and see if you could make partners work on the routes you fly. The various fare classes are spelled out pretty clearly. Some of Alaska's award tickets are less than what AA and UA charge, too (F to/from Australia is 70K on Alaska while the same seat is 110K on AA).
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rline-partners
I’ve been debating Alaska and still have a ton of miles banked from the last four years of flying with them exclusively. I love their service on LAX-SEA routes but as my travel shifted to primarily international, I really miss any level of service on partner airlines. The mileage earning is great but there’s no preferred treatment, no lounge access and not even any early boarding on partner airlines, regardless of elite tier... that’s why I’m looking elsewhere. I had a really positive experience on Delta last year after a flight cancellation in London and couldn’t imagine having to deal with it without status...
Old Mar 31, 2019, 8:59 pm

BMO World Elite ^
Old Apr 7, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: AA DL WN
'best' for upgrades on purchased fares?

I have burned up all my AA miles- and now free to look around -
Primary desire is access to points/miles to obtain flight upgrades on USA and Europe travel. Or, better stated- what program is ‘best’ for upgrades award tickets.
My FICO is high 700's. I am open to joining anything from Amtrak program to Zambia airline program.
I have a spouse that would also like to join- so 2 X on any promotions/specials is a plus.

Thank you all for your kind consideration

>>> Reply: ability to redeem points/miles to biz/first upgrade from a purchased fare - for both Int'l (mostly Europe), and Domestic USA.

>>> Reply: negligible- But, we are frequent 'buyer' - and can easily and consistently average $2 to 3 K a month in credit card spending (and paid off each month)

>>> Reply: discounted economy/full Y .

>>> Reply: Yes. 80/20 Leisure/Work

>>> Reply: DFW LHR, DFW- Europe , DFW NYC, DFW MSY,

>>> Reply: DFW and DAL

>>> Reply:no longer have status- used up all miles

>>> Reply: no allegiance to any one carrier or global program.
OK with connecting from DFW/DAL to a connecting city -to reach final destination.

Last edited by DFWguy; Apr 8, 2019 at 3:13 pm Reason: Clarify upgrade using $’s and straight upgrade award tix
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:28 am

Hello. I'm looking to get started with collecting points but really don't know where to begin. All these tier programs etc... are a complete mystery that I would like to better understand.

- what is your definition of best?
I don't know.
- do you value miles/points (or equivalent) for redemption over gaining status?
I'm not sure what "status" affords me...
- do you fly enough to gain any meaningful status?
This is something I would like to better understand. I travel from Montreal to Europe 4-5 times a year...
- what do you want to use the miles/points for (award, upgrade, hotels, what ever)?
Upgrades yes. Hotels no.
- what sort of flight award is of interest (destination, class of travel)?
Class of travel.
- are you interested in topping up by paying cash for miles?
Not really.
- which airline and where do you normally fly?
This is something I'm trying to figure out. My options are: Air Canada, British Airways, Lufthansa, Air France, KLM. I have mostly used BA in the past, but don't have a strong preference one way or another.
- are you primarily a leisure or business traveller?
Business.
- where do you live?
Montreal, Canada.
- do you have other ways of earning points in the various programs, e.g. credit cards, shopping, etc,?
I will consider optimizing my credit card usage if there is an obvious way to do so.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Perrpis
I am moving next week from Toronto to Miami Florida.
Currently an E50k with Air Canada. When flying within the US I have obviously always used United to help earn status miles. I have never been unhappy with their service and like the perks of free economy plus etc. Food is not up to par of AC but I don't think any of the American carriers are.

Some of my colleagues who also travel a lot, some more than me, say I should switch to OneWorld and AA. I know Miami is a hub for AA but just have never liked their product the few times I have flow (Wow- those MD 80's no comment).

Will be travelling to the following this year (RT);
US-8 domestic flights
Canada- 2
UK- 1 (biz)
UAE- 1 (biz)
Russia- 1 (biz)
Brazil/ Argentina- 1 (biz)
China- 1 (biz)

Would AA status match? I know United prob wont because it is also *A.

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated. Shame I am going to lose 20 credits with AC but oh well.
Is the move to Miami permanent?
AA will not status match. They will offer a challenge for a $ fee---->https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ge-2017-a.html

Oneworld (AA-BA-LA) would get you to many of those destinations. As would other alliances.

What are your objectives from a ffp?
Any ff miles from a (new) credit card?
Old Apr 18, 2019, 3:14 pm

So I already have *A G (through A3) and OWS (through BA; but this is hard for me to keep up) and I just wanted a decent ST FFP to credit my few ST flights to that I will get any value out of, at all.

(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?
(upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, extra baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, free - discounted lounge access, etc.)
Reply: good/easy reward redemptions; I imagine with my low ST usage it's a bit of a pipe dream to get to a useful enough status tier to get priority services across the alliance but *cross-fingers*
(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
(<25000, 25000-50000, >50000 miles - <25, 25-50, >50 flights?)
Reply: my ST flights are usually limited to about 8-12 domestic legs on AM in J, and a few random other legs around Europe if I can't find a similar OW or *A routing.
(3) What types of fares do you usually buy ?
(First, Business, Premium economy, Economy, cheapest)
Reply: business
(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Airline most flown? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply: on ST, usually Aeromexico, and I fly for pleasure so it's all my own selection
(5) Which routes and airlines do you fly most often
(US Domestic, Transpacific, Kangaroo, in Asia etc)
Reply: on ST, usually domestic Aeromexico flights, a few intl AM flights around Central/South America, occasional Alitalia or MEA flights in Europe to get from one side of Europe to the other
(6) What is your home airport?
(SFO, SCL, London LHR, HKG, Singapore SIN etc.)
Reply: none; I'm a digital nomad, but I plan to be based near CUN in 2020; I fly in and around MAD a lot during the summers (usually on Iberia, so more for OW)
(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in an airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
(AA Executive Platinum, UA 1K, LAN Comodoro, etc)
Reply: BA Silver (OWS), Aegean Gold (*A G)
(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply: I tend to mostly fly AM in ST since I spend a lot of time in and around Mexico. If I'm in the middle east and MEA has a useful routing, I like them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.