Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2014, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Before posting please read POSTS 1-3 for a comprehensive overview of how to select a program.
If you already plan to focus on one particular alliance, please visit the sticky in the relevant forum: Deciding on a oneworld FFP or Which SkyTeam FFP or Choosing a Star FFP

List of frequent flyer programs from Wikipedia

Questionnaire: Copy and paste into your post
Provide the requested information.

1. What is most important to you in a frequent flyer program (FFP)?
upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access, etc.
>>> Reply:

2. How many miles do you usually fly each year? How many flights/sectors?
less than 25000 miles, 50000+ miles and 20-25 flights, etc.
>>> Reply:

3. What fare class do you usually buy?
first, business, premium economy, economy
>>> Reply:

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
>>> Reply:

5. Which routes do you fly most often?
transatlantic, domestic USA, intra-Asia, etc.
>>> Reply:

6. What is your home airport?
>>> Reply:

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any?
>>> Reply:

8. What are your preferred airlines, if any?
>>> Reply:
Print Wikipost

Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2019, 2:25 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by above4
I now am a little better in understand where to find my own moved posts so I should be okay going forward with posting. I started a second post in the old location and it was closed but this is what I wrote....

United Changes 2
Before I could answer some questions that were posted, my post was moved and I do not know how to locate it.

On to one of the questions. Yes, nobody has seen these United changes that will take place in 2020 yet. They are not yet posted anywhere. I have inside information.

Starting in 2020, United frequent fliers who live outside the USA will also have to meet PQD minimums in order to obtain frequent flier status. This is a change.

Since I cannot find my post, I ask again. I am a non USA resident and citizen who flies in or through the USA often enough and sometimes on USA based carriers. Given this yet to be announced change (you all will remember me when they do announce this), which, if any, USA based or non USA based airlines offer frequent flier status solely based on flight miles (the old fashion way) and not based on a combination of both miles flown AND base fares paid? Thank you in advance for your information.

I am tired of Uniteds taking things away mentality. Since i live outside the USA, when I fly Star Alliance Partner Airlines, I already often get screwed on the partner airlines mileage. Even if i book the flight directly on the United web-site. Now they want to screw me further by not giving me full credit AND making me pay more? Not on my watch!
Scroll through the several posts above this one of yours that I'm quoting now (the posts come after your initial post that has been moved into this thread) and you'll find requests for additional information from you and some initial thoughts.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I'm not aware that UA is imposing PQDs outside the USA. Has this changed? Welcome to FT.

Mod alerted to move this to UA.

This will change on January 1, 2020
Old Sep 25, 2019, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
OP states "This will change next year." I have not read this anywhere on FT, and there is nothing on the UA website to suggest that. So I think we want a confirmation first.

The rest of the world will hear about this soon. I have inside information.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 2:58 pm

[QUOTE=Mwenenzi;31559346]

By "That will change next year." does that mean you are moving to USA?

Are you wanting to change ffp's? What is your flying pattern? Routes/class or travel etc? What do you want from a ffp?

No, I have no desire nor plan to move to the USA.

Yes, I want to look at going with another FFP now. I already have over 2 Million miles on United. I do not remember that last time that i did not fly 100,000 miles with United in a year. Many many years ago. I do multiple trips a year from Europa to the USA, the USA to Central America, Central America to USA and USA to and from Asia. Routes- too numerous to mention. Fare class- low. Usually L or K. What do I want- The best bang for my buck. When United merged with Continental years ago and I saw things starting to deteriorate for the consumer immediately, I write to American and Delta and both were willing to give me status immediately on a 6 month trail to prove to them that what I was flying on United and its partners I could do for them. But as I know and as other posters have stated, it seems that all USA based airlines, sans Alaska, have gone to this less attractive, to the consumer, format.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 3:05 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Can you start a new thread on that topic over on the UA forum? It's not going to get noticed in a thread about the best frequent flyer programs.
https://www.flyertalk.com//forum/uni...leageplus-681/
Old Sep 25, 2019, 5:54 pm

Programs: Alaska
L or K on most *A can get 50%-75% on A3 or TK. With 100K miles, should be no problem for *A gold.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
To help others in the community, you should provide an authoritative source (e.g. from United) stating PQD would be in effect starting January 1, 2020 for MileagePlus members not residing in the US.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by freed0m
L or K on most *A can get 50%-75% on A3 or TK. With 100K miles, should be no problem for *A gold.
Good suggestions. The only additional requirement on A3 is just a small number of flights on their metal, but it's an extremely easy threshold to meet for someone based in Europe.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Starting in 2020, United frequent fliers who live outside the USA will also have to meet PQD minimums in order to obtain frequent flier status. This is a change.
Assuming what you have said is true, it is very unlikely UA will implement the change on January 1, 2020.

January 1, 2020 is the first day of qualifying year for 2021. AFAICT, each time when UA drops the bombshell, there will be certain notice period prior to the implementation. The last M+ updates announced by UA, which was only days ago, does not mention anything about this. While possible, it is unlikely that given this year is approaching to its end, UA will make another major changes without announcement. Implementing such change means there is no prior notice. Also - it would be too early to drop the bombshell if UA decides to eliminate the exemption for 2022.

I already have over 2 Million miles on United.
This is another mystery. If you are truly a 2MM, you are a lifetime Plat that do not subject to PQD requirement unless you go for 1K.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by Efrem
You might also consider getting one of the fancier credit cards. Many airline-affiliated cards grant second-tier status for an annual fee that is high compared to ordinary credit cards but is a lot lower than the usual spending requirement for that level. The availability of such a card might affect your choice of airline if more than one is otherwise suitable.
Can you clarify what you mean? I don't know of any credit cards that give you airline status outright, even if they have a high annual fee.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 3:42 pm

Hi,

I have been struggling with this for a while now (it is a big decision after all), so decided to come here for help.
I am relocating from UK to USA early 2020. Moving to Austin, which is not a hub for any of the big 3, so trying to decide which one should I go with.
I will try to provide as much info as I can here, which should ease your ability to help me with my choice.

I am currently a Gold member of British Airways Executive Club, and would be looking to do a Status Match/Challenge where possible. I currently have been flying globally, mostly Europe, Middle East, Africa and North America for work, plus Asia for holiday.
Have been pleased with Oneworld so far, but happy to try something new if it makes more sense.
I have family that lives in UK as well as Hong Kong, so reasonably good connections and redemption options are a plus. I have been connecting to LHR hub all my time, so I am used to not living next to a hub and having to connect.

Best Frequent Flyer Program for you?
- what is your definition of best?
Seat comfort, good service, great redemption options for miles and upgrades, great global connectivity
- do you value miles/points (or equivalent) for redemption over gaining status?
I always thought they go in pair - I suppose I would appreciate a solid mix of both...?
- do you fly enough to gain any meaningful status?
I have been able to just qualify for BA Gold for 3 yearsin a row. I expect to maintain the frequency and distance of Travel, however will fly a lot more around North and South America.
- what do you want to use the miles/points for (award, upgrade, hotels, what ever)?
Award flights
- what sort of flight award is of interest (destination, class of travel)?
Asia in Premium Economy/Business
- are you interested in topping up by paying cash for miles?
No
- which airline and where do you normally fly?
Choice is mine, I have been sticking to British Airways so far as it made most sense for my travelling out of UK. As mentioned above, will be based out of Austin, travelling mostly around North and South America, with occasional trips to Europe, Africa, Middle East and Asia.
- are you primarily a leisure or business traveller?
Business
- where do you live?
Moving to Austin, TX
- do you have other ways of earning points in the various programs, e.g. credit cards, shopping, etc,?
I am planning to get a credit card to top up miles and put corporate expenses on. Currently using BA Premium Amex one.

(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Upgrades on travel, good award redemption rates, free - discounted lounge access,
(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
I am not sure how does BA Tier Point structure translates to miles. I have been flying mostly Economy and occasionally Premium Economy, and have been able to go just above the Gold tier threshold for past 3 years.
(3) What types of fares do you usually buy ?
Economy (often flexible, semi-flexible fares), Premium Economy
(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Airline most flown? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
I can choose my airlines. Class of service is restricted to mostly Economy and Premium Economy (Premium for long haul international), which I would do about 4 round trips/year of. Mostly travel for work.
(5) Which routes and airlines do you fly most often
It will be US domestic and South America, with occasional trip to Asia, Europe, Middle East, Africa
(6) What is your home airport?
Austin, TX:
(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in an airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
BA Gold - I have just used most of my miles for pleasure redemption.
(8) Preferred Airlines
Open to suggetions, but would rather stick to one of the bigger alliances with great global redemption choices and connectivity. I would want to be able to treat myself to some of the top tierairlines for occasional international trip or a redemption business class ticket
Old Oct 5, 2019, 2:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Can you clarify what you mean? I don't know of any credit cards that give you airline status outright, even if they have a high annual fee.
Sure they do. For example, Centurion in Germany gives EK Gold.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 6:23 am

Credit to above4, they were right about non-US residents no longer having a PQD waiver. Spend is now a mandatory requirement, period. More info:

New Premier Qualification Requirements for 2020: Only Spend or Spend + Flight Sectors
Old Oct 14, 2019, 7:54 am

1. What is most important to you in a frequent flyer program (FFP)?
>>> Reply: Good Reward Redemption Rates

2. How many miles do you usually fly each year? How many flights/sectors?
>>> Reply: less than 25000 miles

3. What fare class do you usually buy?
>>> Reply: economy

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
>>> Reply: Yes and pleasure

5. Which routes do you fly most often?
>>> Reply:transatlantic, WAS to PNH

6. What is your home airport?
>>> Reply: WAS, IAD/BWI

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any?
>>> Reply: no

8. What are your preferred airlines, if any?
>>> Reply: none

Last edited by dd987; Oct 14, 2019 at 7:56 am Reason: add more ifno
Old Oct 17, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: AADVANTAGE
Delta Skymiles or KLM Flying Blue?

I am moving from Brazil to Netherlands in early 2020 and found this forum while doing my research on what FPP was the best fit for my profile.
Any help, inputs and advices are appreciated

Best Frequent Flyer Program for you?
The answer to this question depends very much on your personal travel profile and objectives.

- what is your definition of best?
I usually pay for business flights.
Considering I get many of the benefits given to highly ranked status flyers, I would define the best, the FPP that gives more flexibility booking flights and upgrading them with miles.

- do you value miles/points (or equivalent) for redemption over gaining status?
I would say yes,

- do you fly enough to gain any meaningful status?
Yes

- what do you want to use the miles/points for (award, upgrade, hotels, what ever)?
booking another flights, and upgrading

- what sort of flight award is of interest (destination, class of travel)?
booking another flights, and upgrading

- are you interested in topping up by paying cash for miles?
just if really needed

- which airline and where do you normally fly?
I'm flying American currently, and flying somewhat frequently between North and South America.
That's what is changing I will be moving to EU, and I will be starting to fly EU-US instead.

- are you primarily a leisure or business traveller?
Business

- where do you live?
In Brazil, moving to Netherlands

- do you have other ways of earning points in the various programs, e.g. credit cards, shopping, etc,?
Yes, in Brazil I use the AAdvantage credit card marketed by a local bank

Questions
For members asking for information, to help people to assist you, can you please provide:
(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?
(upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, extra baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, free - discounted lounge access, etc.)
Reply: reasonable rates and availability booking flights with miles

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
(<25000, 25000-50000, >50000 miles - <25, 25-50, >50 flights?)
Reply: 125000-150000, 4-6 international flights / year

(3) What types of fares do you usually buy ?
(First, Business, Premium economy, Economy, cheapest)
Reply: Business

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Airline most flown? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply: Yes I can choose, and I have been flying American (for business),

(5) Which routes and airlines do you fly most often
(US Domestic, Transpacific, Kangaroo, in Asia etc)
Reply: I have been flying North - South America, but I am changing this to EU-US, that's re reason of this research.

(6) What is your home airport?
(SFO, SCL, London LHR, HKG, Singapore SIN etc.)
Reply:Currently CWB/Brazil, but moving to AMS/NL

(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in an airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
(AA Executive Platinum, UA 1K, LAN Comodoro, etc)
Reply: AA Executive Platinum

(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply: None

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.