Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP DESK & FAQ: Gold and Platinum Status Challenge as of 2017

HELP DESK & FAQ: Gold and Platinum Status Challenge as of 2017

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 30, 18, 1:04 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
The current AAdvantage Gold and Elite status challenges supersede the 2016 Challenge, now obsolete.

Please read before asking questions. Read the Feb 2018 email sent Challengers in Post #1.

Please help update information or fill in the blanks by sharing what you learn.

[/b][/center]

NOTE: American Airlines generally doesn't offer status matches to elite members of other airlines' frequent flyer schemes; they offer paid Challenges, shortcuts to status. AA have made significant changes to the AAdvantage Gold and Platinum elite status challenge initiated 2016 (originally begun in 1998) available to anyone,[/b] regardless of status on AA or another airline (unless these people have attempted or completed a recent challenge, or are trying to use a challenge to regain status - that is not allowed). There is no publicly available documentation currently. Please update here as the information becomes available, e.g. signup fees.

Call +1.888.697-5636 for details and to sign up.

NOTE: There are also Corporate and Targeted status challenges offered to some levels of certain companies or targeted subgroups (LinkedIn had one, FoundersCard may still offer one); some may offer up to Executive Platinum status. These differ significantly from this challenge offered the general flying public for a fee, and are discussed here.

See the obsolete thread regarding the Challenge prior to 2016 here.

Frequently Asked Questions and Requirements

Q. What are the requirements for successfully completing a Challenge?

AAdvantage Gold status:
Earn 7,000 Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM
OR fly 8 Elite Qualifying Segments / EQS
AND earn $1,000 Elite Qualifying Dollars / EQD
within a three month period
AND pay a non-refundable fee (see below)
See the "What are AA Gold / GLD benefits? Are they worth it?" thread here.

AAdvantage Platinum status:
Earn 12,500 Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM
OR fly 16 Elite Qualifying Segments in three consecutive months
AND earn $2,000 in Elite Qualifying Dollars
within a three month period
AND pay a non-refundable fee (see below)
See the "What are AA Platinum / PLAT benefits? Are they worth it?" thread here.

Fees we know so far for Jan-Jun 2018):
  • xxxx (yyy
  • $200 PLATINUM challenge without interim status 24 Mar (dmodemd
  • $120 GOLD challenge without status during challenge (louienet
  • $100 GOLD challenge without interim status 8 May (strieu)
  • $200 (instead of $240) PLAT without getting the status up front. (I'm currently GOLD.) (dml105)
  • $500 PLATINUM challenge with PLT status during challenge (louienet
  • $180 PLATINUM challenge without interim status 24 Apr (ajanderson11

Fees in through mid- June 2017 were (information thanks to spikespike1):
  • $280 GOLD challenge with gold status during challenge
  • $100 GOLD challenge without status during challenge
  • $480 PLATINUM challenge with PLT status during challenge
  • $180 PLATINUM challenge without status during challenge
After 15 Jun (July), jacobguo posts:
[*]$140 for Gold w/o status [*]$320 for Gold w/ status[/list]
tramm7 posts:
  • $240 for Platinum Challenge without interim Platinum status
  • $540 for Platinum Challenge with interim Platinum status
Started prior to 16 Jun, after successful challenge will be valid through Jan 31 2019
If start after 16 Jun, same price with status valid Jan through 31 2020

NOTE: See FAQ: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on) for further information about earning EQD credit on AA and partner airlines.

Q. When can I sign up for a Challenge? Can I backdate to include flown flights? How far out can I enroll?

Start dates are now anytime, not a particular date, and may be backdated as far five days (If you aren’t requesting and paying for interim status).

Q. How long will Challenge-earned elite status last?

Challenges started prior to 16 June 2018 earn status good through 31 Jan 2019; challenges started 16 June or after earn status good through 31 Jan 2020. (It is the start date, not the date of the phone call or the date the challenge is completed, that matters.)

Q. Are there restrictions on earning EQM for the Challenge?

Yes. To qualify, EQM must be earned on flights marketed* by AA's Joint Business Venture partners:
  • AA American Airlines
  • AY Finnair
  • BA British Airways
  • IB Iberia
  • JL Japan Airlines
  • QF Qantas

* "AA marketed" = AA flight is displayed on your boarding pass

AA marketed fights earn as if flying AA, regardless of operating carrier. AY, BA and IB marketed flights must be operated by a oneworld airline; normally, JL and QF are generally the exceptions to this requirement.

Q. How many EQM do I earn per flown mile?

On AA marketed flights (AA flight on your boarding pass - regardless of operating carrier) you may earn, on qualifying paid fares:
  • 3 EQM per base mile flown on full F, J fares
  • 2 EQM per base mile flown in discounted Business and First fares
  • 1.5 EQM per base mile flown in Premium Economy
  • 1 EQM minimum per base mile in all other qualifying fares

On qualifying partners' marketed flights (you're on a AY, BA, IB, JL or QF flight number only, for Challenge purposes) you earn, on qualifying paid flights:
  • 1.5 EQM maximum on all eligible First, Business and Premium Economy fares
  • 1.0 EQM on the most expensive economy fares (full Y and maybe one or two other fares, depending on marketing airline)
  • 0.5 or 0.25 EQM on most paid discount economy fares
  • 0 EQM on some paid economy fares, dependent on marketing airline and fare class
[color="Navy"]
For tables on aa.com showing EQM earning on partner airlines' specific fares, see here.

Q. Is there a passenger age requirement for the challenge?

No.

Q. Will my credit card that pays to $200 incidental fees cover paying for the challenge?

Reports from members indicate your credit card might indeed credit you up to $200 toward your challenge fee.

Q. Will my credit card spend EQD apply for the Challenge?

No. You must earn your Challenge-qualifying EQD on spend for travel under the same requirements as earning EQM for the Challenge.

Q. Will my baggage, upgrade and other incidental spend be calculated as EQD apply for the Challenge?

No. You must earn your Challenge-qualifying EQD on spend for travel under the same requirements as earning EQM for the Challenge.

Q. Where can I learn more about earning EQM on AA and partner airlines?

Read Earning AA Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM on AA, oneworld, partner airlines 2017 (particularly the wikipost at the top of the page) for further information about earning EQM on AA and its partners.

Q. Do status or class of service bonus miles in Business and First count toward my Challenge or "normal" status?

No. Class of service, status (and all "bonus") miles are Award (Redeemable) miles, not Elite Qualifying.

Q. Must I fly four segments at least marketed by AA?

No; there is no longer a requirement for earning AAdvantage status in 2017. You may earn Gold or Platinum status flying qualifying AY, BA, IB, JL or QF marketed flights for Challenge-earned AAdvantage status.

Q. How can I calculate miles flown for EQM calculations on partner airlines?

Distance calculations may be made reasonably with Great Circle Mapper (link).

Q. I've noticed some have been granted Gold upon enrollment. Can I?

This now depends on a fee paid at the beginning of your Challenge. See Challenge criteria above.

Q. Do I automatically gain Gold status when I earn 7,000 EQM on my Platinum Challenge?

The new policy is said to allow Gold upon fulfillment of Gold Challenge criteria. It is unspecified at this time if this is automatic, and won't apply if you paid for interim Platinum status.

Q. If I earn Platinum through a Challenge, can I earn Platinum Pro with 25,000 EQM or Executive Platinum (EP) with 50,000 more EQM?

No. You must earn the full number of required EQM, EQD and EQS to earn higher status, regardless of Challenge status.

Q. Do I earn bonus miles, etc. on the flight I cross my Challenge threshold?

No. Status is awarded after the flight upon which the required threshold was crossed (some years ago, it was during and miles earning benefits applied to the earning flight - that has changed).

Q. Will my new status update automatically on my account and previously booked flights? Will my new status benefits be available automatically? How long does it take?

Once your miles post in your account, your status will normally update. But you might have to call AAdvantage Customer Service to have Your existing PNRs updated. The AA agent will remove, re-enter your AAdvantage number, which will cause the record to update.

Q. How often can I sign up for a Challenge?

First, one can not extend or retain status made through a Challenge with a subsequent Challenge. As well, knowledgeable members have posted AA generally allows two "status exceptions" in a five year period, and the Challenge is considered as a status exception. Buying status back would be considered a status exception as well.

See the first post for the known history of the AA Status Challenge.

Note: there is a "reingagement challenge" to get back miles lost for inactivity within the last five years, which can be read about here: How to Reactivate / Restore Expired Miles – Reengagement Challenge (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 2, 16, 10:41 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, The Suggestion Box and Talkboard Topics
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; HH Life <>; SPG Gold; Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Arrow HELP DESK & FAQ: Gold and Platinum Status Challenge as of 2017

Note: if you have the wikipost option turned off, you may activate wikiposts by clicking on the [+] in the far right of the wikipost blue bar menu just at the top of this thread.

A new Challenge operated in 2016, but has now been superseded by a yet newer 2017 Challenge, which includes 1) earning EQM OR EQS minima, 2) an EQD component, and 3) a pay for interim status option. It appears this newer iteration allows challenging for Gold or Platinum, but presumably still not Platinum Pro or Executive Platinum.

We know there is a new AAdvantage elite status challenge for 2017; we do not know all the details yet, but we know the basics (thanks to danbrew and raghavchadha). As the information is clarified in this thread by members' contributions and updates, you will be able to read about and discuss further details here - and the Wikipost will be updated.

NOTE the Wikipost is "community property" - it is not the "job" of Moderators or anyone else to update Wikis. A Wikipost may be updated / edited by any FT member with 90 days on FT and 90 posts on FT.

NOTE: Until late 2015, American Airlines offered a status challenge, a shortcut, to AAdvantage Gold and Platinum status available to all AAdvantage members. (AA did not generally offer "matches" to status.) You can read an abbreviated history below, and the archived thread about the challenge here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ec-2015-a.html (link)

The original Gold and Platinum challenges ended in September of 2015. AA employees stated then that a new AAdvantage status challenge was in the works for 2016. You can read more about it here:

OBSOLETE: HELP DESK & FAQ: 2016 AA Elite Status Challenge

Thank you for your contributions to our knowledge base.

/Your American Airlines | AAdvantage forum Moderator team

2018 (February) version of Challenge email sent Challengers (thanks to louienet):

Dear louienet,

Here’s all the information you need to know about the AAdvantage Platinum challenge.

Meet the following requirements in a 3 month time frame after paying the applicable fee:
  • 12,500 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) + $2,000 Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs)

OR
  • 16 Elite Qualifying Segments (EQSs) + $2,000 EQDs

Eligible Airlines

American Airlines | British Airways | Finnair | Iberia | Japan Airlines | Qantas Airways

Earning EQMs and EQDs

When booking on aa.com, you’ll see the EQMs, EQSs and EQDs on the ‘Review and Pay’ screen.

EQMs are based on a combination of miles flown and the fare purchased. For example, on American Airlines marketed flights*:

• Full First and Business Fare tickets earn 3 EQMs per mile flown

• Discounted First and Business Fare tickets earn 2 EQMs per mile flown

• Full Economy Fare tickets earn 1.5 EQMs per mile flown (Premium Economy fares do.)

• Discounted Economy Fare tickets earn 1 EQM per mile flown

• Basic Economy tickets earn 0.5 EQM per mile flown (and 0.5 EQS)

• Travel on the other eligible airlines may earn a different (sometimes lower) amount for the same type of fare. Please see their airline pages on aa.com to view their EQM accrual rates.

EQDs are earned as follows:

• AA marketed flights - ticket price (base fare plus carrier-imposed fees, excluding any government-imposed taxes and fees)

• Flights on the other eligible airlines - based on a percentage of the miles flown and the fare purchased. Please see their airline pages on aa.com to view their EQD accrual rates.

Regards,

A. K

AAdvantage Customer Service

American Airlines
Elite Status Challenge and Flyertalk History

The now defunct original AAdvantage elite Gold and Platinum status challenge is archived; thread can be read here.

The original EQ Points based challenge lasted a number of years. It was AFAIK first documented systematically by FT member FewMiles, who had it on his own web pages with other status-earning information.

The first FT thread about the challenge was started 17 Dec 1998: The Elite Challenge

On a fateful day, 26 Jun 2000, FewMiles asked about taking the challenge in this post; fish on!

On 27 Oct 2000, FewMiles starts a new thread announcing a web page for his Unofficial guide to AAdvantage - elite status, Gold/Plat challenge ... on webflyer.com, later moved to shaw.ca. As these existed before web archiving was common, no record exists with Wayback Machine, etc.

It appears this program has been selected by the new management to continue going forward so AA can offer a shortcut to status that they possibly feel is more rewarding (to AA) and effective than merely handing out status matches to anyone with status in another airline / alliance.

In 2016, a revised Challenge was offered, as covered in this thread

Thanks to danbrew, louienet and raghavchadha for your contributions

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 24, 18 at 12:30 pm Reason: Update / Add 2018 Challenge letter v. Feb 2018; add Challenge history
Old Sep 7, 16, 10:53 am

Programs: VS Silver, UA Silver, IHG / SPG / Hilton Gold, Hertz Gold+ 5*, Avis Pref+
Thumbs up HKG and back to make Plat Challenge by 9/9/16 (to merge)

Hi all. My Plat challenge period ends 9/9 and I'm 11k miles shy (of the 12.5k challenge) so I'm making a MR (at normal fare) tonight and will be back in the US Friday night.

Heading out TONIGHT on JAL 1 via codeshare AA8400 (will accrue for challenge) SFO > HND
5.5 hours at HND
JAL 29 HND > HKG (will NOT accrue for challenge)
about 10.5 hours in HKG
Depart HKG on CX flight via codeshare AA 8933 (will accrue for challenge)
HKG > LAX

Arrive LAX 10:10p Friday night.

I know Tokyo well.

What is there to do in HK in 10.5 hours? Thanks everyone.
Old Sep 7, 16, 11:08 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, 1,800,527 miles; Hilton Honors Diamond
  1. Take train.
  2. Get off train, and find cab.
  3. Tell cab driver, "Clubs & Pubs".
  4. Hope to make it back in time for next flight.
danbrew likes this.
Old Sep 7, 16, 11:11 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.6MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*
Get cash. A lot of food and services only accept cash.

The airport express to downtown HK is efficient and often. Buy the round trip tickets online and print it out. You will be able to get on and off quickly by scanning the ticket at waist level. It took me a minute to figure out where it was.

Eat Tim Ho Wan Dim Sum. Cheap Dim Sum that is very good. Long wait unless you are only 1 person then I only waited 15 minutes to get a shared table and the food was ready in 5 minutes after ordering. I liked the Baked Bun with Barbecue Pork and Vermicelli Roll stuffed with Shrimp. There is one right at Central Station. Once off the airport express train, go up the elevator and it is on the left. Look for the long line.

I saw some 1 hour foot massage parlors I wish I had researched. If I had a chance I would have gone to a good cheap one after researching something that was good.

Walking by the harbor is nice. Get a map. At 10.5 hours you can make it to the top of Victoria Peak. It's up to you how you want to do it. I suggest make it easy on yourself getting up and then if you are adventurous walk down. It is a beautiful view of HK.

Originally Posted by neilah View Post
Hi all. My Plat challenge period ends 9/9 and I'm 11k miles shy (of the 12.5k challenge) so I'm making a MR (at normal fare) tonight and will be back in the US Friday night.

Heading out TONIGHT on JAL 1 via codeshare AA8400 (will accrue for challenge) SFO > HND
5.5 hours at HND
about 10.5 hours in HKG
HKG > LAX

I know Tokyo well.

Old Sep 7, 16, 11:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
A lot! Get some Dim Sum, visit Vicotria Peak, pick a street market (I prefer cat street), see the buddha statute, etc. Trip advisor and searching posts on here will help. I had a 14 hour layover in hong kong and got to do everything I listed. Their mass transit is easy to use and everything is in English.
Old Sep 7, 16, 12:00 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, The Suggestion Box and Talkboard Topics
Original Poster

Originally Posted by neilah View Post

5.5 hours at HND
about 10.5 hours in HKG
HKG > LAX

I know Tokyo well.

Why will JL not accrue EQM for the Challenge? See here.
Old Sep 7, 16, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Originally Posted by nutwpinut View Post
Get cash. A lot of food and services only accept cash.

The airport express to downtown HK is efficient and often. Buy the round trip tickets online and print it out. You will be able to get on and off quickly by scanning the ticket at waist level. It took me a minute to figure out where it was.
If you're returning to the airport the same day, I think you only need a one way airport express ticket.
Old Sep 7, 16, 12:46 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
For information on what to do in Hong Kong, perhaps take a look over at the Hong Kong and Macau forum here on Flyertalk?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau-436/

There's this thread as a sticky that may be a good start:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-...e-what-do.html

I've only been there once, for a 2-night mileage run/mini vacation. I took the train to the peak, then walked down. Only the walk down ended up in disaster as I was overcome with food poisoning.

I'd also recommend taking a ferry across the harbor. I did this at night, and the lights are amazing.
danbrew likes this.
Old Sep 8, 16, 9:20 am

Programs: AA Gold Elite
If you have never been to HK,buy a HOHO bus ticket. Lets you get to see a decent amount of the city and you get priority to skip the often long lines to get a ticket for the Peak Tram ride up to the top of Victoria Peak.
Hope you can find a place to shower when you get back to the airport as the heat index was really bad when I was there a week ago. I cannot imagine getting back on a long haul flight dripping in sweat!
Old Jan 1, 17, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, Marriott/SPG Plat, Hyatt Explorist
AA 2017 status challenges

Does anyone have info on the 2017 AA status challenges?

Specifically, I'm wondering:

• Is there now a third challenge level for Platinum Pro?
  • Is it still better to start a challenge on 6/16 than 1/1?
  • What are the EQM/EQD requirements (and costs) for each challenge tier this year?

I tried to call AA CS but they're closed right now, and I thought someone here might know the answer. For context, I'm currently AA Gold and looking to get Platinum Pro or Platinum if possible.
Old Jan 1, 17, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by getagb View Post
Does anyone have info on the 2017 AA status challenges?

Specifically, I'm wondering:

• Is there now a third challenge level for Platinum Pro?
  • Is it still better to start a challenge on 6/16 than 1/1?
  • What are the EQM/EQD requirements (and costs) for each challenge tier this year?

I tried to call AA CS but they're closed right now, and I thought someone here might know the answer. For context, I'm currently AA Gold and looking to get Platinum Pro or Platinum if possible.
"Is it better to start on 6/16 or 1/1?" Historically, if you start on 6/16 you get the status for longer. Of course if you start on 1/1, you get it sooner. It depends on which works better for you, and that may also relate to whether or not you intend to requalify during the year. If there isn't already a post, why not call them when they are open and post the results here?
Old Jan 3, 17, 8:20 am

Programs: AA EXP
Arrow HELP DESK & FAQ: 2017 Gold and Platinum status Challenge

So I just talked to the guy from American and here's what he had to say about the Platinum status challenge for 2017. There are three options:

Platinum Challenge with no bump in status while on the challenge = $200
Platinum Challenge with Gold during the challenge = $400
Platinum Challenge with Platinum during the challenge = $500

You must do 12,500 EQM or 16 Segments during the challenge, as well as $2000 EQD.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 3, 17 at 12:34 pm Reason: Add bolding
Old Jan 3, 17, 8:49 am

Confirming what @danbrew said. I got the same info when I just called.

Gold Challenge is $100 and you need 7000 EQM AND $1000 EQDs or 8 EQS AND $1000 EQDs.

He also said that he can backdate it 3-5 days, but I've heard from other places that they will do 14 days if you push hard.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 3, 17 at 12:33 pm Reason: Add bolding
Old Jan 3, 17, 9:28 am

Programs: AA EXP
They screwed up and sent me both the Gold and Platinum welcome letters. I did call to confirm that I was on the platinum challenge.

Dear danbrew,
Good luck on your AAdvantage Platinum challenge! Here’s all the information you need to be successful.
Meet the following requirements in the 3 month time frame that we set up during your call:
• 12,500 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) + $2,000 Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs)
OR
• 16 Elite Qualifying Segments (EQSs) + $2,000 EQDs
Eligible Airlines
American Airlines | British Airways | Finnair | Iberia | Japan Airlines | Qantas Airways
Earning EQMs and EQDs
When booking on aa.com, you’ll see the EQMs, EQSs and EQDs on the ‘Review and Pay’ screen.
EQMs are based on a combination of miles flown and the fare purchased. For example, on American Airlines marketed flights*:
• Full Economy Fare tickets earn 1.5 EQMs per mile flown
• Discounted Economy Fare tickets 1 EQM per mile flown
• Travel on the other eligible airlines may earn a different (sometimes lower) amount for the same type of fare. Please see their airline pages on aa.com to view their EQM accrual rate.
• AA marketed flights - ticket price (base fare plus carrier-imposed fees, excluding any government-imposed taxes and fees)
• Flights on the other eligible airlines - based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare purchased. Please see their airline pages on aa.com to view their EQM accrual rate.
Regards,
American Airlines
and

Dear danbrew,
Good luck on your AAdvantage Gold challenge! Here’s all the information you need to be successful.
Meet the following requirements in the 3 month time frame that we set up during your call:
• 7,000 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) + $1,000 Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs)
OR
• 8 Elite Qualifying Segments (EQSs) + $1,000 EQDs
Eligible Airlines
Earning EQMs and EQDs
• Full Economy Fare tickets earn 1.5 EQMs per mile flown
• Discounted Economy Fare tickets 1 EQM per mile flown
• Travel on the other eligible airlines may earn a different (sometimes lower) amount for the same type of fare. Please see their airline pages on aa.com to view their EQM accrual rate.
• Flights on the other eligible airlines - based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare purchased. Please see their airline pages on aa.com to view their EQM accrual rate.
Regards,
American Airlines
Old Jan 3, 17, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by raghavchadha View Post
Confirming what @danbrew said. I got the same info when I just called.

Gold Challenge is $100 and you need 7000 EQM AND $1000 EQDs or 8 EQS AND $1000 EQDs.

He also said that he can backdate it 3-5 days, but I've heard from other places that they will do 14 days if you push hard.
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Nice first contribution! I've added this information to the newly updated Wikipost.

And danbrew's top notch contributions as well.

Search this Thread