Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!

Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 29, 21, 1:04 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Wiki Link
Before posting please read POSTS 1-3 for a comprehensive overview of how to select a program.
If you already plan to focus on one particular alliance, please visit the sticky in the relevant forum: Deciding on a oneworld FFP or Which SkyTeam FFP or Choosing a Star FFP

List of frequent flyer programs from Wikipedia

Questionnaire: Copy and paste into your post
Provide the requested information.

1. What is most important to you in a frequent flyer program (FFP)?
upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access, etc.
>>> Reply:

2. How many miles do you usually fly each year? How many flights/sectors?
less than 25000 miles, 50000+ miles and 20-25 flights, etc.
>>> Reply:

3. What fare class do you usually buy?
first, business, premium economy, economy
>>> Reply:

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
>>> Reply:

5. Which routes do you fly most often?
transatlantic, domestic USA, intra-Asia, etc.
>>> Reply:

6. What is your home airport?
>>> Reply:

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any?
>>> Reply:

8. What are your preferred airlines, if any?
>>> Reply:
Print Wikipost

Old May 28, 22, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kernowmaid View Post
Summary! Was platinum pro pre pandemic and it was ok ( I did it as I travelled with my boss and he was concierge key). My status got wiped with no travel and I’m relocating to Europe . Trying to ‘pick’
<snip>
How long will you be in UK for? A few years or for ever?
Stay with AAdvantage? Will earn based on distance, unless flying AA (to USA?)
Do you have any AA ff miles banked?
The EU trips will be likely be short, so will not earn much to any ffp. EU is small.
With a few EU economy flights and 2~4 UK-USA flights will be tough to earn status.
Old May 28, 22, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
How long will you be in UK for? A few years or for ever?
Stay with AAdvantage? Will earn based on distance, unless flying AA (to USA?)
Do you have any AA ff miles banked?
The EU trips will be likely be short, so will not earn much to any ffp. EU is small.
With a few EU economy flights and 2~4 UK-USA flights will be tough to earn status.
With 24-36 intra-European roundtrips per year (2-3 per month) and two trans-Atllantic Business Class roundtrips per year, BA Silver (oneworld Sapphire) should be easily attainable. And if travelling from LON to the Western U.S. in Business, BA Gold (oneworld Emerald) might even be possible, if one were to fly LON to the Eastern U.S., and then connect to AA for the East Coast-West Coast segment.

The number of BA Tier Points (used to determine BAEC status) earned on short-haul Economy Class flights will vary, depending on whether fully-flexible fares or cheaper, more restrictive, fares are utilized.
Old May 28, 22, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

OK. I overlooked the "per month". BA/IB may not fly to all of Kernowmaid destinations. Or be not competitive with pricing. Routes will be important (from any London airport)

Search this Thread