Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!

Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 29, 21, 1:04 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Wiki Link
Before posting please read POSTS 1-3 for a comprehensive overview of how to select a program.
If you already plan to focus on one particular alliance, please visit the sticky in the relevant forum: Deciding on a oneworld FFP or Which SkyTeam FFP or Choosing a Star FFP

List of frequent flyer programs from Wikipedia

Questionnaire: Copy and paste into your post
Provide the requested information.

1. What is most important to you in a frequent flyer program (FFP)?
upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access, etc.
>>> Reply:

2. How many miles do you usually fly each year? How many flights/sectors?
less than 25000 miles, 50000+ miles and 20-25 flights, etc.
>>> Reply:

3. What fare class do you usually buy?
first, business, premium economy, economy
>>> Reply:

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
>>> Reply:

5. Which routes do you fly most often?
transatlantic, domestic USA, intra-Asia, etc.
>>> Reply:

6. What is your home airport?
>>> Reply:

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any?
>>> Reply:

8. What are your preferred airlines, if any?
>>> Reply:
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 21, 22, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by angetenar View Post
Is one of the NYC airports more convenient than the others for you? If you're in Manhattan, EWR is probably the easiest to get to, but if you're in one of the other boroughs, then JFK and LGA may be easier to get to. If you would prefer LAX-EWR, then UA is the logical options. For LAX-JFK, then AA or DL would be better. AA also flies SNA-JFK I think?
Note that AA partners AS and B6 both fly LAX-EWR, and B6 also flies LAX-JFK. Status on AA would provide benefits on both of those carriers.

By public transportation (rail) from Manhattan, EWR and JFK are equally convenient. And on weekends, there's more frequent service between Penn Station and the Jamaica AirTrain terminal than there is between Penn Station and the EWR AirTrain terminal. Also, depending on where in Manhattan one is, there's the option of taking the subway to the Jamaica (or Howard Beach) AirTrain terminal.
Old Sep 21, 22, 10:00 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Note that AA partners AS and B6 both fly LAX-EWR, and B6 also flies LAX-JFK. Status on AA would provide benefits on both of those carriers.
This is true, but status always confers the most benefits with the airline that you earn it with. I'm not familiar with the terms of the AA-B6 alliance, but my impression of the AA-AS relationship was that the status benefits were merely what you got from oneworld ruby/sapphire/emerald.
Old Sep 21, 22, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by angetenar View Post
This is true, but status always confers the most benefits with the airline that you earn it with. I'm not familiar with the terms of the AA-B6 alliance, but my impression of the AA-AS relationship was that the status benefits were merely what you got from oneworld ruby/sapphire/emerald.
AAdvantage elite benefits on AS here:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...a-airlines.jsp

AAdvantage elite benefits on B6 here:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...es/jetblue.jsp
Old Sep 25, 22, 10:47 am
KFF

What will be best for my job? 200 flights a year

Because of a job I will be starting soon, I will be flying a-lot. Sometimes 3 times a day. This will include short and long-haul flights in Asia, Americas, Europe and the Middle east, rare visits to Africa. I've not flown more than 20 times in my life and I thought I'd ask for advice so thank you for taking the time to read this.

upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access, etc.
>>> Reply: No matter the program I will end up at the highest tier so difficulty to reach the highest tier isn't a concern. It'd be fair to just compare highest reward tiers.

In general the most important things for me will be comfort in airports and flight e.g. extra legroom, upgrades, lounge access, priority bag collection and security

Benefits that decrease my expenditures while abroad will be immensely useful for helping with my savings. (I'm a contractor so free food and drinks will be useful as I cant expense them to a company, the only thing that gets payed for is hotel and travel).

I also really put value in earning miles and membership benefits that extend beyond my job. (British Airways EC gives me the ability to get lifetime gold membership and Alaska's mileage plan has a higher rate of earning miles) I may not have this job in two years time so if I can get more out of it I will.

Partnerships with hotels will also help as I need to sign up to many hotel loyalty programs too.

less than 25000 miles, 50000+ miles and 20-25 flights, etc.
>>> Reply: ~200 flights yearly

>>> Reply: Economy

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
>>> Reply: No choice, ability to upgrade on own dime. Travel is for work.

transatlantic, domestic USA, intra-Asia, etc.
>>> Reply: Europe 50% of the time rest of the world the rest.

>>> Reply: Based in Europe, Not a specific country

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any?
>>> Reply: No, I've not flown for years.

>>> Reply: no preference

P.S. Any extra tips or tricks for someone just getting into becoming a frequent flyer would be much appreciated!
Old Sep 25, 22, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KFF View Post
Because of a job I will be starting soon, I will be flying a-lot. Sometimes 3 times a day. This will include short and long-haul flights in Asia, Americas, Europe and the Middle east, rare visits to Africa.

>>> Reply: Economy

>>> Reply: No choice, ability to upgrade on own dime. Travel is for work.
It occurs to me that given the wide-ranging areas you will be traveling to/through, coupled with the fact that you cannot choose your airline for each trip, you could end up flying a bunch of different airlines in different alliances (oneworld, Star Alliance, SkyTeam) -- or in no alliance at all. So you should probably pick one program from each alliance, so that you can credit the miles you earn from most flights. Note that some alliance members also have non-alliance partners.

If you want lounge access when flying domestically within North America, you will probably need to have status in a non-North-American FFP: For example, AA's AAdvantage Platinum Pro and Executive Platinum levels are both oneworld Emerald, but neither gets you lounge access when flying domestically in the U.S. By contrast, BA Silver and Iberia Plus Oro (both oneworld Sapphire) do give you lounge access when flying domestically in the U.S.
Beyond that, you should probably give some thought to your desired redemptions (routes, class of service), as different FFPs can charge vastly different amounts of miles (and cash) for the exact same redemption.
beachmouse likes this.
Old Sep 26, 22, 2:36 pm

International student moving to London

Hi,

I’m a 19 year old international student moving to London this month. It seems like I’ll be flying regularly and a FFP seems to be the best way to save some money. I’ll be flying home to my parents who live in Abu Dhabi. I will also be flying to COK to visit extended family once a year and the occasional visit to the Schengen Area. I did do some research on my own and I felt that none of the FFP programs fit me well. I’m aware of Etihad’s and Emirates’ FFP programs but they seem a bit limiting compared to the main ones. So I’m curious on everybody’s thoughts here.

>>> Reply: I’ll be flying long solo flights so upgrades I guess? I’m not sure tbh

>>> Reply: 10 - 20,000 miles and like 3-5 flights.

>>> Reply: Economy.

>>> Reply: I can choose and pleasure.

>>> Reply: Europe-Asia. I'll mostly be flying to LHR - AUH/DXB - COK. And as I said maybe the occasional flight to the Schengen Area.

>>> Reply: LHR, or any London airport to be frank.

>>> Reply: No status in any FFP yet. I have already booked my first DXB-LHR flight on British Airways, if that’s helpful info.

>>> Reply: I don’t like super budget airlines, but other than that I’m mostly fine. Also it is the stupidest thing, but I can’t transit in some countries because apparently Indians need an airport transit visa. In the EU, I will need a visa for Germany, France and the CzechRep, so that leaves out Lufthansa, Air France, and other airlines that use these places as a hub.

Thanks for reading.
Old Sep 26, 22, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fsbash View Post
Hi,

Im a 19 year old international student moving to London this month. It seems like Ill be flying regularly and a FFP seems to be the best way to save some money. Ill be flying home to my parents who live in Abu Dhabi. I will also be flying to COK to visit extended family once a year and the occasional visit to the Schengen Area. I did do some research on my own and I felt that none of the FFP programs fit me well. Im aware of Etihads and Emirates FFP programs but they seem a bit limiting compared to the main ones. So Im curious on everybodys thoughts here.

>>> Reply: Ill be flying long solo flights so upgrades I guess? Im not sure tbh

>>> Reply: 10 - 20,000 miles and like 3-5 flights.

>>> Reply: Economy.

>>> Reply: I can choose and pleasure.

>>> Reply: Europe-Asia. I'll mostly be flying to LHR - AUH/DXB - COK. And as I said maybe the occasional flight to the Schengen Area.

>>> Reply: LHR, or any London airport to be frank.

>>> Reply: No status in any FFP yet. I have already booked my first DXB-LHR flight on British Airways, if thats helpful info.

>>> Reply: I dont like super budget airlines, but other than that Im mostly fine. Also it is the stupidest thing, but I cant transit in some countries because apparently Indians need an airport transit visa. In the EU, I will need a visa for Germany, France and the CzechRep, so that leaves out Lufthansa, Air France, and other airlines that use these places as a hub.

Thanks for reading.
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Realistically, I think that the best use of any miles you can accrue would be for short-haul flights out of LON, using BA Avios for Reward Flight Saver redemptions. BA Avios can be transferred to both QR and IB, if and when necessary.

Last edited by guv1976; Yesterday at 5:21 pm
Old Yesterday, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Realistically, I think that the best use of any miles you can accrue would be for short-haul flights out of LON, using BA Avios for Reward Flight Saver redemptions. BA Avios can be transferred to bother QR and IB, if and when necessary.
Thank you for the welcome and quick response! Yeah that makes sense to me.

Seems like you're the only person active and providing great advice in this thread. Thanks for all your help and keep up the great work helping new people like me!
SanDiego1K and guv1976 like this.

Search this Thread