FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!
Old Sep 25, 2022, 10:47 am
KFF

What will be best for my job? 200 flights a year

Because of a job I will be starting soon, I will be flying a-lot. Sometimes 3 times a day. This will include short and long-haul flights in Asia, Americas, Europe and the Middle east, rare visits to Africa. I've not flown more than 20 times in my life and I thought I'd ask for advice so thank you for taking the time to read this.

1. What is most important to you in a frequent flyer program (FFP)?
upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access, etc.
>>> Reply: No matter the program I will end up at the highest tier so difficulty to reach the highest tier isn't a concern. It'd be fair to just compare highest reward tiers.

In general the most important things for me will be comfort in airports and flight e.g. extra legroom, upgrades, lounge access, priority bag collection and security

Benefits that decrease my expenditures while abroad will be immensely useful for helping with my savings. (I'm a contractor so free food and drinks will be useful as I cant expense them to a company, the only thing that gets payed for is hotel and travel).

I also really put value in earning miles and membership benefits that extend beyond my job. (British Airways EC gives me the ability to get lifetime gold membership and Alaska's mileage plan has a higher rate of earning miles) I may not have this job in two years time so if I can get more out of it I will.

Partnerships with hotels will also help as I need to sign up to many hotel loyalty programs too.

2. How many miles do you usually fly each year? How many flights/sectors?
less than 25000 miles, 50000+ miles and 20-25 flights, etc.
>>> Reply: ~200 flights yearly

3. What fare class do you usually buy?
first, business, premium economy, economy
>>> Reply: Economy

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
>>> Reply: No choice, ability to upgrade on own dime. Travel is for work.

5. Which routes do you fly most often?
transatlantic, domestic USA, intra-Asia, etc.
>>> Reply: Europe 50% of the time rest of the world the rest.

6. What is your home airport?
>>> Reply: Based in Europe, Not a specific country

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any?
>>> Reply: No, I've not flown for years.

8. What are your preferred airlines, if any?
>>> Reply: no preference

P.S. Any extra tips or tricks for someone just getting into becoming a frequent flyer would be much appreciated!