Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2014, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Before posting please read POSTS 1-3 for a comprehensive overview of how to select a program.
If you already plan to focus on one particular alliance, please visit the sticky in the relevant forum: Deciding on a oneworld FFP or Which SkyTeam FFP or Choosing a Star FFP

List of frequent flyer programs from Wikipedia

Questionnaire: Copy and paste into your post
Provide the requested information.

1. What is most important to you in a frequent flyer program (FFP)?
upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access, etc.
>>> Reply:

2. How many miles do you usually fly each year? How many flights/sectors?
less than 25000 miles, 50000+ miles and 20-25 flights, etc.
>>> Reply:

3. What fare class do you usually buy?
first, business, premium economy, economy
>>> Reply:

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
>>> Reply:

5. Which routes do you fly most often?
transatlantic, domestic USA, intra-Asia, etc.
>>> Reply:

6. What is your home airport?
>>> Reply:

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any?
>>> Reply:

8. What are your preferred airlines, if any?
>>> Reply:
Print Wikipost

Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2018, 1:47 am

Hello all!

Lounge access, upgrades, being able to accumulate miles without hard ending of validity.

approx 20 intercontinental (Europe, Latin America) and 6 European

Economy comfort, eco in Europe

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Yes if price difference is not too big. Travel 90% for work

AMS-Latin America, flights within Latin America + European

AMS

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any?
Skyteam: FB Silver, 60K
Oneworld: BAEC Blue, 19K

I tend to use Skyteam for the status. I truly hate United
Looking for a good Staralliance company, because I will have several Avianca domesti flights coming up

BAEC: don't care to let go. Never fly with them anymore
Old May 11, 2018, 6:07 am

Talking Thank you for your help!

Thank you for your help!

Questions
For members asking for information, to help people to assist you, can you please provide:

(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?
extra baggage allowance, and discounted lounge access

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
1 to 2 flights per year to Hong Kong from Stockholm
1 flight per year to Boston from Stockholm
2-4 flights to Madrid from Stockholm

(3) What types of fares do you usually buy?
cheapest

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Pleasure,
Always economy,

(5) Which routes and airlines do you fly most often?
Finnair, Iberia, Norwegian, Cathay, BA, KLM

(6) What is your home airport?
Arlanda, Stockholm

(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in OW or other airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
None

(8) Preferred Airlines? Most common Airlines flown on?
Virgin, Cathay, Finnair
Old May 11, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Alaska 75K, United Platinum
Thanks in advance everyone!

Mileage redemption value for premium class international travel.
For my actual flying experience, I value priority boarding and free seat assignments

60 segments per year, generally less than 1,000 flown miles.

Economy

I have my choice of airline, but typically am restricted to economy fares. I travel for work and use miles to travel for pleasure.

A variety of routes within the southwestern USA.

SNA (and the less preferred LAX)

AS 75K but only achieved last year through their now expired partnerships with AA and DL
UA Gold ($3,000 PQD and 26,000 PQM so far this year)

460,000 AS miles
350,000 UA miles
95,000 AMEX MP
50,000 Chase UR

None

My work has re-assigned me to the Southwest territory of the US and now would be a good time as ever for me to status match to another airline. I've been a UA member since infancy, and they've typically served my prior work and personal schedule quite well flying out of SNA. With my new assignment (and airport preference), I'm wondering if switching over to DL or AA would make more sense. UA would only connect me through SFO or DEN which means constant backtracking and possible added segments. AA connects to PHX and DL to SLC which I imagine might be better for me. AS won't work unless I fly out of LAX and I think their distance-based program would actually punish me for these short flights. Ultimately, I'm just looking for the program that will give me the most bang for my buck when it comes to earning miles for the possibility for premium travel abroad. Also, because I don't care about domestic upgrades, I'm also open to international carriers/programs as long as their benefits would grant me priority boarding/free seat assignment on their domestic partner.
Old May 20, 2018, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K
International Award Travel to Europe / Asia, Economy Plus / Extra Legroom Domestically, Free Baggage, Lounge Access

Around 35-50 segments, around 35-50K miles

Economy Domestic, E+ Internationally if Revenue Fair, Points for Business Class if 8+ hours

Yes - I travel roughly one a month per work and fly only economy. I do have choice of airline. For pleasure, I travel 2-3X per year domestically and 2x a year internationally.

Mostly east coast routes for work to MCO, ATL, DAY, and LAS. For personal, generally HHH, SAV, SFO, MSP

BDL for Domestic, can route through JFK / BOS for international.

Currently have AA gold and wondering if I should switch to another airline. I've had luck with AA credit cards and flying CX / IB to Asia / Europe, but wondering if Star Alliance / Skyteam might be best for longer term. I have family in France / Germany which don't cater well to OneWorld. As a side note, for domestic travel I try to avoid ATL and EWR whenever possible.

270K AA miles
15K UA miles
80K DL miles
240K Chase UR

110K Amex MR

63K Avianca Miles

AA at present due to status and lots of nearby hubs and convenient schedules. Is there a reason to switch?
Old May 25, 2018, 11:52 am

Any info would be helpful and much appreciated!

-Brewster

upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access, etc.

Upgrades, good redemption rates

less than 25000 miles, 50000+ miles and 20-25 flights, etc.

20-25,000, Premium Economy, Will be doing 6-7 flights to Europe a year, and hopefully some to Asia.

first, business, premium economy, economy
Premium Economy

Yes, I choose. I travel for pleasure.

transatlantic, domestic USA, intra-Asia, etc.

Transatlantic and domestic

JFK or LOG

I’m halfway to gold with AA. Husband has lifetime gold. I have about 160K Amex MR and 60K UR with Chase and will probably get the American Airlines card that has the 60K bonus.

American, JetBlue, BritishAir
Old Jun 7, 2018, 8:08 am

Anyone know if it's possible to un-credit miles and then re-credit to another FF program? Specifically, I am going to be 2 Qpoints short of QR Privilege Club Gold. (I know, I know, don't get me started.). I have a flight that I accidentally credited to AA a few months back, and if I could un-credit those miles from AAdvantage and then re-credit to QRPC, my status problem would be solved -- for the next 12 months at least. (Then I just need to get out of QRPC and into another OW program.)

Anyone had any luck with AA doing this? Thanks for any help.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 11:25 am

I am very new to all of this and am working my way through the stickies. But I thought before I go too deep I should get feedback as to what is reasonable for me to delve into and what isn't. Details below but my main concern is that I fly internationally a couple times a year to the Philippines, but that's it. Expensive but not frequent.

(upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, extra baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, free - discounted lounge access, etc.)
Reply: I think upgrades to make the long flights more comfortable would be first priority. Lounge would be nice for long layovers.

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
(<25000, 25000-50000, >50000 miles - <25, 25-50, >50 flights?)
Reply: <25000 miles (If I calculated right, 14k), 2 round trips

(3) What types of fares do you usually buy ?
(First, Business, Premium economy, Economy, cheapest)
Reply:Up until yesterday, the cheapest economy I could find. The tickets I bought yesterday, I bought a higher level economy that earned 80% of the miles.

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Airline most flown? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply: I don't travel for work. I'm traveling for personal reasons so I can pick any airline. Most frequent has been EVA air due to best price / low fly time ratio. I liked ANA better but have only found tickets I could afford once. Korean air was a bit nicer than EVA but I'm not happy with the long layover on the return trip.

(5) Which routes and airlines do you fly most often
(US Domestic, Transpacific, Kangaroo, in Asia etc)
Reply: International to Asia.

(SFO, SCL, London LHR, HKG, Singapore SIN etc.)
Reply: Seattle (SEA)

(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in an airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
(AA Executive Platinum, UA 1K, LAN Comodoro, etc)
Reply: I opened FFP recently with EVA, ANA and KA. EVA has 8k earned and I just bought new tickets but those miles are not earned yet.
I also have the Alaska Miles Plan CC with 80k earned (never actually used any points from this card).

(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply: I would prefer to fly on ANA but so far due to circumstances EVA has been used most frequently. Just to be clear EVA has been very nice. I just found ANA to be even slightly better.

Extra Question:
I was considering getting a new credit card to help with earning miles since I am not that frequent of a flyer. I only have the Alaska CC wish I don't think is useful for international airlines. The Chase Sapphire ($95) seems to get the most positive words online but doesn't seem to transfer to EVA. Citi Bank ($95) seems to be better for EVA transferring points but doesn't get the praise that Chase does. Thoughts.

Thank you. I realize that since I am not flying constantly some options may not be attainable. I'm just trying to learn what is reasonable to work towards and what is beyond my current level of flying.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

garymon Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by garymon
I am very new to all of this and am working my way through the stickies. But I thought before I go too deep I should get feedback as to what is reasonable for me to delve into and what isn't. Details below but my main concern is that I fly internationally a couple times a year to the Philippines, but that's it. Expensive but not frequent.
<snip>
(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in an airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
Reply: I opened FFP recently with EVA, ANA and KA. EVA has 8k earned and I just bought new tickets but those miles are not earned yet.
I also have the Alaska Miles Plan CC with 80k earned (never actually used any points from this card).
Eva (BR) and Air Nippon Airways (NH) are both star alliance and partners. So if an eligible fare, you can fly on one airline and earn ff miles to the other airlines ffp.

KA = Korean Air (KE)?
https://www.wheretocredit.com/korean-air/y
KA is the airline code for Cathay Dragon

Alaska (AS) is a good ffp and has a lot of partners. But sadly over the last few years some good airlines are no longer partners (DL KLM/AF and AA for USA domestic flights).
https://www.wheretocredit.com/alaska-airlines/y
Korean (KE) is an AS partner.

Having multiple ffp’s with low balances is never a good idea. You may never get enough ff miles/points to be of use before they expire. Adding frequent miles in a ff program that you can use, are worth more than ff miles in an orphan ffp that you will never use even, if the earning rate is nominally better. FFP’s are for the medium to long term. However at times it makes sense to have a ff membership with an airline in another alliance. (e.g. Oneworld & Star)

Be mindful of expiry Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire. Click to open the wiki.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
garymon Welcome to FT

Eva (BR) and Air Nippon Airways (NH) are both star alliance and partners. So if an eligible fare, you can fly on one airline and earn ff miles to the other airlines ffp.

So I can use my BR miles on NH upgrades?

KA = Korean Air (KE)?
(link removed)
KA is the airline code for Cathay Dragon

Ah thank you. I should know better than to make up my own acronyms here. I meant Korean Air (KE) in my original post.

Alaska (AS) is a good ffp and has a lot of partners. But sadly over the last few years some good airlines are no longer partners (DL KLM/AF and AA for USA domestic flights).
(link removed)
Korean (KE) is an AS partner.

Ah so I can use my Alaska FFP miles to upgrade a KE ticket?

Having multiple ffp’s with low balances is never a good idea. You may never get enough ff miles/points to be of use before they expire. Adding frequent miles in a ff program that you can use, are worth more than ff miles in an orphan ffp that you will never use even, if the earning rate is nominally better. FFP’s are for the medium to long term. However at times it makes sense to have a ff membership with an airline in another alliance. (e.g. Oneworld & Star)

Thank you. That makes perfect sense.

Be mindful of expiry (link removed). Click to open the wiki.

It seems I've kept my Alaska miles active through dumb luck. Thank you for that link.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

So I can use my BR miles on NH upgrades?
Yes & no. Star Alliance does have a cross upgrade system, but requires an expensive base fare. So useless for most people.
UA thread on this topic (same principle for other airlines):- How to upgrade with UA miles on Star Alliance carriers

Ah so I can use my Alaska FFP miles to upgrade a KE ticket?
No. My understanding is AS does not do cross airline upgrades.

Upgrades are never guaranteed. And far less common on non USA airlines compared to USA airlines.
Now days is common that low priced fares are not able to be upgraded. But does depend on the airline.

It seems I've kept my Alaska miles active through dumb luck..
Worth keeping the AS miles alive. AS is one of the better ffp's, but has a restrictive award chart.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 5:06 pm

Ok, thank you for helping to fill in my mental model on how all of this works. I have a long way to go before I reach enlightenment ;-) But today was a good start. :-)
Old Jun 30, 2018, 7:00 am

(upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, extra baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, free - discounted lounge access, etc.)
Reply: good award redemption rates, upgrades on travel, free- discounted lounge access
Reply: <25,000 - <25 flights. economy or cheapest (on long trips an upgraded economy).
Reply: Premium economy, economy, cheapest
(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Airline most flown? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply: United, American, Delta. I travel for mostly pleasure but occasionally work.
Reply: US Domestic. Although Sometimes I go to Canada/Philippines.
Reply: JAX
Reply: no
(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply: Anything that gets me where I need to be. American.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 7:52 pm

Programs: CX MPC Silver (OWR)
Reply: Upgrades on travel, free lounge access
Reply: 25000-5000
Reply: economy/cheapest
Reply: I travel to go home after school year. I can choose the airlines I fly. I fly cathay pacific the most right now.
Reply: transpacific, US Domestic
Reply: Beijing PEK/Boston BOS
Reply: Marco polo club silver
(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply: Oneworld airlines, not Chinese airlines

Currently I fly two round trips from Boston to Beijing each year, maybe 2 round trips from Boston to LA and one round trip from Beijing to Manila. Right now I fly through HK for Boston to Beijing and Beijing to Manila but I'm open to flying through another airport like Tokyo

Last edited by quakes15; Jul 5, 2018 at 7:32 pm Reason: Add new information
Old Jul 5, 2018, 5:18 pm

FFP advice for weekly travel

I have a very specific travel scenario I am trying to figure out.
I will strart travel from SEA to OAK,SFO,SJC or SMF Mon and return Thu/Fri weekly.
All costs are on own dime - no reimburesements.

Which FFP and airline would give me best value?

Reply: Change/Cancellation fee waiver or unused funds similar to what Southwest Wanna Get Away has.
Reply: estimated ~40k/year, 25-50 flights
Reply:Cheapest
Reply: Cheapest fare
Reply: US domestic
Reply: SEA
Reply: none
(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply: Alaska (SEA hub), Southwest (reuseable funds)
Old Jul 18, 2018, 6:27 pm

Programs: Delta
Relocating to Stockholm, Sweden from Florida, changing from Delta to ??? - help!

Hello, thank you for your assistance.

(1) What is most important to you in a FFP? - Seat upgrades, lounge access, boarding priority,

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors? - Over 150k miles, purchased in economy, and usually international travel (MCO to ARN, ARN to FUK).

(3) What types of fares do you usually buy? - Company travel coordinator buys economy.

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure? - Usually, but low price will dictate in the end. 80% work, 20% personal.

(5) Which routes and airlines do you fly most often? - Haven’t worked out the best routes and airlines yet, but Norwegian, SAS and China Eastern are showing typical best fare routes for the ones shown above.

(6) What is your home airport? - ARN, with MCO running close behind due to relocation from Florida to Stockholm.

(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP? - Delta Diamond, with current 2018 values of 100k miles and $6600 spent.

(8) Preferred Airlines? Most common Airlines flown on? - Delta up until very recently. Did the status match with UA but they wouldn’t count the SAS flights on the international legs, so that was a bust trying to get 1K with them. Most recent airlines were SAS/UA and upcoming Norwegian from MCO to ARN. There appears to be some decent flights from China Eastern on ARN to FUK route, which could benefit me on the Sky Team front but it doesn't appear that I will be able to use my global upgrade passes with them (dammit).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.