Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2014, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Before posting please read POSTS 1-3 for a comprehensive overview of how to select a program.
If you already plan to focus on one particular alliance, please visit the sticky in the relevant forum: Deciding on a oneworld FFP or Which SkyTeam FFP or Choosing a Star FFP

List of frequent flyer programs from Wikipedia

Questionnaire: Copy and paste into your post
Provide the requested information.

1. What is most important to you in a frequent flyer program (FFP)?
upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access, etc.
>>> Reply:

2. How many miles do you usually fly each year? How many flights/sectors?
less than 25000 miles, 50000+ miles and 20-25 flights, etc.
>>> Reply:

3. What fare class do you usually buy?
first, business, premium economy, economy
>>> Reply:

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
>>> Reply:

5. Which routes do you fly most often?
transatlantic, domestic USA, intra-Asia, etc.
>>> Reply:

6. What is your home airport?
>>> Reply:

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any?
>>> Reply:

8. What are your preferred airlines, if any?
>>> Reply:
Print Wikipost

Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2017, 5:17 pm

>>> Reply: Excellent redemption rates for awards tickets. Particularly I like good redemption rates for international first/business class as they typically provide an excellent value redeeming my miles.

>>> Reply: 2-3 flights domestically in the US, and 1 international flight

>>> Reply: Economy, sometimes Business.

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
>>> Reply: Typically travel for leisure.

>>> Reply: Domestically I fly NYC->FLL, NYC->CLT, NYC->SEA, NYC->RDU, NYC->ROA
>>> Reply: Internationally I fly all over. Try to go on one international vacation per year. Places I'd like to visit in the future (in no particular order): Singapore, Japan, Paris, Italy, Thailand, South Africa, St Lucia, Grand Cayman, Shanghi, Prague, Tanzania

>>> Reply: NYC: LGA, JFK, or EWR are all fine

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any?
>>> Reply: Not much. I am planning a honeymoon vacation on an Emirates flight to Greece, and getting the most miles from my trip is what prompted me to get serious about a FF program. I have an Amex Platinum, a Citi Prestige, and have SPG points.

>>> Reply: For US carriers I prefer JetBlue and Delta, and will fly United too (am flying United to Seattle this Christmas). Most domestic routes have For International flights I like Emirates, Singapore, and JAL.

Basically I want to use my miles to purchase international first class tickets at great prices. I'm thinking of joining JAL and SQ Krisflyer or United MP. JAL seems to have the best rates for international first class, and Krisflyer seems to have the best rates for US domestic award flights. But I'd love to hear some input
Old Dec 10, 2017, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Thank you all for your candid answers.

I'm leaning towards AA with a Euro address, and I think KE because I just hate Delta. I hate them. I want them to fail.

Nah, actually credit card earning thing is probably a bigger deal for me. I can't get an AMEX Gold or anything, so the KE card with miles it is for me.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 11:56 am

Which FFP should I join?

>>> Reply: My main goal is to use FF miles to take inexpensive flights in economy class. Most of these flights will be in Europe but some will be transatlantic flights to the US. I would like like to avoid paying high fuel surcharges when I redeem FF miles.

>>> Reply: ~50000, ~8 trips

>>> Reply: Earning miles in business; redeeming miles in economy.
I am not sure how my work selects the class of the business tickets. Some examples include C on South African Airways and D on Lufthansa.

>>> Reply: My work will purchase the lowest cost fare in business class. I have the option to pay the difference and select different flights if I want.

>>> Reply: Earning miles: Vienna to Johannesburg South Africa (~4 trips); Vienna to Tokyo Japan (~4 trips)
Redeeming miles: Vienna to Paris France; Vienna to US

>>> Reply: VIE (Vienna, Austria)

>>> Reply: No

>>> Reply: None
Old Dec 13, 2017, 1:35 am

Programs: United Airlines, Qatar Airways, Cathay Pacific, Etihad Airways
upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access, etc.
>>> Reply: Upgrades and then lounge access, in that order, are most important to me in a FFP.

>>> Reply: I fly between 40,000 and 50,000 miles per year. This is across 20+ roundtrip flights.

>>> Reply: A mix of business and economy depending on flight distance.

>>> Reply: I travel for work and pleasure. More for work. For work I have some ability to choose my airline, but my company prefers the cheapest airline in class with reasonable routing.

>>> Reply: Intra-ASEAN (i.e., Southeast Asia) based out of Singapore (SIN). Trans-Pacific from Singapore (SIN) to Newark (EWR). Sometimes trans-Indian from Singapore (SIN) to Dubai (DXB). Sometimes from Singapore (SIN) to Sydney (SYD).

>>> Reply: Singapore (SIN) is my home airport.

>>> Reply: Yes, United Airlines (UA) Member with 20,575 miles banked, Qatar Airlines (QR) Burgundy with 23,077 miles banked, Cathay Pacific (CX) Green with 19,306 miles banked, and Etihad Airways (EY) Tier Segments 4 with 28,648 miles banked.

>>> Reply: Yes. My preferred airlines include All Nippon Airways (NH), Singapore Airlines (SQ), Qatar Airways (QR), Lufthansa (LH), Etihad Airways (EY), and Emirates (EK).
Old Dec 23, 2017, 8:14 am

New Frequent Traveler

Just landed a job in consulting and trying to choose FF, hotel points, and credit cards. Any help appreciated!

>>> Reply: goal is to take family of five on a most-expenses paid 5 night vacation in US (Disney, skiing, etc) or Caribbean every year. Everything else is gravy, but the occasional first class upgrade would be nice.

>>> Reply: first year I will take ~40 RT flights and spend120 nights in hotel rooms. Home base is STL and flights will be domestic only to Chicago, NY, and other locations east of the Rockies. West coast maybe a handful of times per year.

>>> Reply: will depend on policies but I assume mostly economy

>>> Reply:airlines yes, class I’m not sure of

>>> Reply: domestic

>>> Reply: STL

>>> Reply: None

>>> Reply: no preference

Other notes: I will book my own travel expenses (including all meals, hotels, transportation, and incidentals) through a personal card and will be reimbursed. I’m welcome suggestions for all areas of travel but not sure if that is appropriate for this thread.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: EXP AA, Hilton Diamond
Deciding to switch or not

Team
For the last three years I've lived the good life of Conceirge Key on American due to my corporate roles - but now I'm at a startup that has no such perks! I'm considering switching from AA to UA as my preferred airline given AA's downward spiral and the fact that my status as Platinum Pro won't really get me anything out of my home airport given high volume of EXP and CKey fliers at RDU. I'd love advice on my switch given my answers below -

>>> Reply: Upgrades - domestic and int'l. Free upgrade to economy plus for better seats when not in first class.

>>> Reply: This year will be 60-80K

>>> Reply: economy and sometimes premium economy

>>> Reply: Travel for work and pleasure. Can usually pick the airline as long as fares are similar

>>> Reply: RDU-Den (2-4X), RDU-LHR (4x per year), RDU-KTM (1-2x per year), RDU-NBO (1x per year), RDU-BOS (3x)

>>> Reply: RDU

>>> Reply: Conceirge Key on AA being downgraded to Platinum Pro on Feb 1 this year.

>>> Reply: Open to a new set!
Old Jan 5, 2018, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeriegel1
For the last three years I've lived the good life of Conceirge Key on American due to my corporate roles - but now I'm at a startup that has no such perks! I'm considering switching from AA to UA as my preferred airline given AA's downward spiral and the fact that my status as Platinum Pro won't really get me anything out of my home airport given high volume of EXP and CKey fliers at RDU.

I'd love advice on my switch given my answers below -
>>> Reply: Upgrades - domestic and int'l. Free upgrade to economy plus for better seats when not in first class.
The grass in not always greener on the other side.

With the majority of ffp's benefits are reducing and ff mile award/upgrade costs are going up. Upgrades are now harder to get. The halcyon days of frequent flyer programs a decade ago are gone: just accept reality.

Hoping for upgrades when starting the status climb from the bottom is a big hope. And wanting for free even more so.

What airlines fly the routes that your the business/personally can afford to pay for?

A few days ago there was another thread/posts about RDU frequent flyers looking for a new ffp. If I find it again will put in a link.

Star Alliance which ffp: Need advice on which Star Alliance FF scheme to join? - please post here
Old Jan 18, 2018, 8:12 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, DL Gold (SkyTeam E+), OZ Silver
A bit confused with the recent changes in FFP, looking for insights

Note to mods: please feel free to redirect this post somewhere else if you believe it belongs there. Thanks !

Dear FT community, hello!

I'm a noob in airlines and I've recently got a new job that will let me fly around the world quite a bit, mostly Asia. I'm in my late 20s, early 30s and looking to build myself a status in a FFP.
Based in Tokyo (Narita or Haneda doesnt matter much), so I'll fly from there. Main destinations will be Korea, China, Singapore, Australia, but could be also in other SE Asia countries. Occasionally, domestic flights in Japan. Schedule for flying is at least 1-2 roundtrips per month, up to 3-4 in case of heavy schedule. When booking, I can have a selection of 3-4 airlines, but my company will usually go for the most economic choice

Being french but living in Japan, what I'd like is to get discounted (or free) tickets Tokyo-Paris from times to times to enjoy for holidays.

Couple of questions:
1/ I was under the impression that ST was the best program to go with because of the connections between France and Japan (mostly Air France). Does that sounds about right?
2/ With the announced changes to the FlyingBlue Program, does it appear to be worth it anymore?
3/ Could KoreanAir Skypass be interesting in my case, as it seems to have plenty of partnerships with airlines I do take (Delta, AirFrance, Japan Airlines...) and is claimed to get cheaper rewards flights?

I'd appreciate any insights from experienced flyers there, as the FFP is a total mess to me (even more so since the AF announcement change of FB program)
If you guys have any other suggestions or questions, just let me know, I'll do my best to answer

Thanks a lot !

Edit: Thanks to the mods who moved my post there. For clarity reasons I'll add below the formatting of the wiki to my post.

>>> Reply: I'd go with the award flights at good exchanges rates (i.e. not 200,000 miles for a cheap economy ticket). Direct Tokyo - Paris award flights strongly preferred (can consider 1 stopover if required by FFP). Statuses (Elite, Elite+) are a plus, but not essential.

>>> Reply: No idea how many miles that would be, but I'd say around 30-40 international flights a year, plus a couple of domestic (Japan) ones

>>> Reply: Economy or premium economy. Cheap. Forget the buisness stuff.

>>> Reply: Travelling for work. Selection of airlines is limited , but I can indicate which FFP I want (ST, SA, OW) then the agency gives me a list of 3-4 choices to work with. Then the less expensive is usually selected, unless the scheduling is crap.

>>> Reply: From/to Tokyo to various locations in Asia (China, Korea, Singapore, Philippines, Australia... possible more). May rarely have the occasion to go to Europe and/or flight from Asia to Asia.

>>> Reply: Tokyo (Narita or Haneda)

>>> Reply: No statuses. Looking to build one over the next years. Have like ~3000 miles in FlyingBlue and ~6000 in Delta, so nothing worth considering. I want to decide for one that I'd be able to throw most of my points into.

>>> Reply: No hard preference, but my experience with ST crews are positive (AF. Delta), and I like Japan Airlines for domestic flights.
Must be able to redeem the award tickets as desired (see point 1.)

Last edited by Eizugal; Jan 18, 2018 at 9:13 pm Reason: Added details
Old Feb 9, 2018, 8:27 am

Hi Everyone,

Really looking for help to figure out what to do here.

I was originally SA with US Airways and when that got changed, I'm now left with around 200k AAdvantage miles. I had a Starwood Amex and would regularly transfer my miles into that.

My job frequently has me flying all over Europe (I'm based in the UK and fly out of MAN) and so now I'm not sure what to do.

As a kneejerk, I signed up to BA oneworld and got the creditcard, but these days I rarely fly a OneWorld Airline and have built up 2 companion vouchers through nothing bu credit card spend.

Any help would be much appreciated to figure out what I do and which miles program I should be using.

>>> Reply: Lounge access, the chance of free upgrades and the chance of spending some miles on a family holiday at some point.

>>> Reply: 20-25 flights

>>> Reply: usually economy

>>> Reply: Can't choose class. Fly for business

>>> Reply: Mostly Europe. The US 1 or 2 times per year.

>>> Reply: MAN

>>> Reply: Have about 200k AAdvantage miles which I now need to figure out what to do with.

>>> Reply: No preference

Thanks everyone
Old Feb 11, 2018, 11:46 am

Hello FT! Newbie here.

I fly 1-2 times a year. PDX - NRT. And plan to do that for the foreseeable future. Have been using Delta the last few years as they're the only nonstop flight. However, looks like the frequency of flights has decreased this year and the price is way higher than I've ever seen before. So I'm trying to find out if there are better airlines/FFP to start using that would benefit this route if I need to start making connections. I don't mind making a connection at SFO/LAX or elsewhere as long as it's not too much longer - Nonstop flight has been 10-12 hours, and I really don't want to make the entire trip more than 16-17 hours. Thanks!

(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?

(upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, extra baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, free - discounted lounge access, etc.)
Reply: Good award redemption rates
(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
(<25000, 25000-50000, >50000 miles - <25, 25-50, >50 flights?)
Reply: <25000 / Economy / 1-2 flights
(3) What types of fares do you usually buy ?
(First, Business, Premium economy, Economy, cheapest)
Reply: Premium economy
(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Airline most flown? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply: Yes(?) / Delta / Pleasure
(5) Which routes and airlines do you fly most often
(US Domestic, Transpacific, Kangaroo, in Asia etc)
Reply: Delta Transpacfiic
(6) What is your home airport?
(SFO, SCL, London LHR, HKG, Singapore SIN etc.)
Reply: PDX
(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in an airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
(AA Executive Platinum, UA 1K, LAN Comodoro, etc)
Reply: No
(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply: Delta but open to others
Old Feb 13, 2018, 7:28 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Hi All,

Newbie looking for a airline fpp to be loyal too. Thanks for all the help!
Basically I usually fly AC and/or book thru AC for both work and pleasure mainly due to the fact I have a AP Credit Card. We all know where the AP program is going so I don't really care to be loyal to AC anymore. They haven't screwed up my travel plans and there service from my experience has always been decent but not great. I started flying more due to more vacation time and conferences in the US mid and east and some of the AC flights are starting to cost too much. I have my own business and in the near future (1-2 years from now) I will be making more flights to LAX and NYC and YYZ and AC is starting to cost a little too much with nothing to show for it.

Questions

For members asking for information, to help people to assist you, can you please provide:
(upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, extra baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, free - discounted lounge access, etc.)
Reply: Prioity Services and Good award Redemption
(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
Reply:1 Long Haul , 1-2 Medium Haul, 3-4 Short Haul
Reply: Short Haul - Econ or PE, Med-Long - PE or Business
(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Airline most flown? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply: Yes
Air Canada
I usually do 1 Short Haul & 1 Medium Haul for Business/Work
1 Long Haul, 1 Medium Haul maybe 1-2 Short for Pleasure
Reply: Air Canada,
We like to fly to YVR - SE Asia once a year for vacation, YVR - to East Coast NA (1 x for work, 1 x for vacation), YVR to LAX, SFO, Edmonton for work
Reply: YVR Vancouver
(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in an airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
Reply: Aeroplan - we all know where that program is going & AC Attitude
(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply: AC sorta.....looking for something new
Old Feb 28, 2018, 10:57 am

International Flyer (80-130k per year), OZ

Questions
For members asking for information, to help people to assist you, can you please provide:
Reply: 1. Upgrades 2. Mileage Earn
Reply: 80-130k. 8-12 RT flights. Generally will hit at least 100k each year, but not guaranteed.
Reply: Premium Economy whenever possible, Economy if PE is unavailable.
Reply: Yes. Work (purchased thru own CC and expensed).
Reply: 100% International (mostly Asia). Destinations: China, India, Singapore, Korea, Japan.
Reply: SFO or SMF
Reply: Main FFP: Star Alliance with OZ, Diamond Plus (Lifetime 200k miles - wanted to go for 500k lifetime status). Secondary FFP: KE Skypass (~30k miles).
(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply: OZ is preferred - wife and kid fly to Korea approx. once a year, hence the OZ and KE programs (family plan). I pay for their tickets using Sapphire Reserve portal and I use the miles to upgrade my seat sometimes but it's pricey (40k miles to Asia one-way). OZ gives two coupons every two years that give 50% off upgrade award redemptions but it's not much - trying to see if there are better options.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: http://rakeitin.gr8.com/
There are new debit cards that give cash rewards and one that offers stock in the company. I can get merchant discounts as well.
Those rewards may offset some of the lack of rewards with other programs.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 2:36 pm

Need some advice based on a change of responsibility at work.

Reply: 1) Lowest cost means of obtaining domestic lounge access for long layovers on inbound / outbound international flights (even if that means credit card copays to get in) and 2) The best coach experience I can get that's not a premium price.
Reply: Currently ~ 24 segments per year on short-haul domestic flight. Usually meet base tier FF status based on segments or spend before I hit based on miles. I will now be adding 4 international trips per year to India.
Reply: Coach
Reply: I can choose my airline. I cannot pay for a higher class of service. These are work flights.
Reply: Adding DSM to AMD 4x per year and within India AMD to VTZ 4x per year. I also do DSM to LAX 4x per year, so I could do LAX to AMD on the same trip if there's benefit to doing so or product differentiation.
Reply: DSM
Reply: American Gold (based on 2017 flights), United Silver (based on Marriott Lifetime Platinum), Southwest A-List.
(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply: Southwest for my domestic flights
Old Mar 2, 2018, 6:59 pm
bdh

Programs: DL PM, UA PM
Originally Posted by jeffcarp
Need some advice based on a change of responsibility at work.

Reply: 1) Lowest cost means of obtaining domestic lounge access for long layovers on inbound / outbound international flights (even if that means credit card copays to get in) and 2) The best coach experience I can get that's not a premium price.
Reply: Currently ~ 24 segments per year on short-haul domestic flight. Usually meet base tier FF status based on segments or spend before I hit based on miles. I will now be adding 4 international trips per year to India.
Reply: Coach
Reply: I can choose my airline. I cannot pay for a higher class of service. These are work flights.
Reply: Adding DSM to AMD 4x per year and within India AMD to VTZ 4x per year. I also do DSM to LAX 4x per year, so I could do LAX to AMD on the same trip if there's benefit to doing so or product differentiation.
Reply: DSM
Reply: American Gold (based on 2017 flights), United Silver (based on Marriott Lifetime Platinum), Southwest A-List.
(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply: Southwest for my domestic flights
Getting 2nd tier status on DL, AA, or UA will give you access to lounges during international trips. If you're flying DSM-LAX-AMD regularly, that's almost 20K per round trip, so with 4 trips/year it seems like you'd have no problem with the 50K requirement for 2nd tier status and you'd also have enough for 75K third tier status, assuming you also have enough spend. What would you consider "best coach experience"? Access to seats with extra leg-room? Free/better in-flight entertainment? Free alcohol in coach+? Chance of upgrades? The big 3 are pretty similar for most things IMO, but there are subtle differences in these depending on what you value. Really, it probably makes the most sense to just go with whoever is the most convenient out of DSM for the bulk or your travel, and if it's a tie since you're flying within India regularly maybe also who has the best partnership with the airlines you fly there.

If you really want to go all-in on free lounge access, you could also look into crediting your miles to an international partner airline. Often if you get 2nd tier status with an international partner that gives you lounge access not only for international itineraries but also for domestic trips. Your chance of domestic upgrades doing this will be much less than if you credited with DL/AA/UA directly though and you might earn fewer redeemable miles depending on your spend and what fare classes you buy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.