Reload this Page >

India joins US Global Entry programme.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Please check out the parallel thread in the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers forum:

Global Entry for Citizens of India
Print Wikipost

India joins US Global Entry programme.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2018, 6:30 pm

Programs: Global Entry, TTP CBP,
Originally Posted by xobile
What kind of US visa do you have, and what country do you live in? I think if everyone added this info to their timeliness it would be helpful for everyone.
I am on H1b, Living in Dallas.

Also when i had my interview with Enrollment Center officer at airport, I did ask about the card issue, the officer mentioned that i would be getting the card in next 5 business days. Another thing to note that, the Global Entry is valid till your Visa is valid. For folks with i-140 approved and every year H1B petition to be approved, its a hassle to goto enrollment centers every year and get the status updated. You would not need any appointment for that, This is confirmed from the CBP officer herself when asked. If your H1b Visa is valid for 3 full years term , then you would not need to worry about getting updated every year, this is similar to applying for driving license in which ever state you live in USA.
siddhuv89 likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by BruceWaine
I am on H1b, Living in Dallas.

Also when i had my interview with Enrollment Center officer at airport, I did ask about the card issue, the officer mentioned that i would be getting the card in next 5 business days. Another thing to note that, the Global Entry is valid till your Visa is valid. For folks with i-140 approved and every year H1B petition to be approved, its a hassle to goto enrollment centers every year and get the status updated. You would not need any appointment for that, This is confirmed from the CBP officer herself when asked. If your H1b Visa is valid for 3 full years term , then you would not need to worry about getting updated every year, this is similar to applying for driving license in which ever state you live in USA.
I thought global entry cards are given only to citizens of USA. Did you receive your card yet?
Old Jun 25, 2018, 2:21 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The interviewer always talks about the card, but they don't know that only US citizens and LPR get the card.
TWA884, BruceWaine and siddhuv89 like this.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 9:09 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The interviewer always talks about the card, but they don't know that only US citizens and LPR get the card.
Mexican nationals are also issued the Global Entry card.

From the US Department of Homeland Security Customs and Border Protection website:
Global Entry Card

Global Entry cards are issued to Global entry members who are U.S. citizens, U.S. lawful permanent residents and Mexican nationals.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by siddhuv89
I thought global entry cards are given only to citizens of USA. Did you receive your card yet?
I have not yet received any card yet. From the website as quoted in above comment, it looks like card is provided for US Citizens, LPR and Mexican Nationals, But I have a similar card too from SENTRI program so basically GLOBAL entry card would be same with name change at top which says GLOBAL ENTRY and blah blah blah.
I honestly dont care about card, if I get it fine, if I dont still fine. Passport works at Global Entry Kiosk, that is what i am only concerned with.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:24 pm

So I got conditional approval a few weeks ago. I went for interview at Chicago downtown CBP office. After verifying my documents, the officer noticed that my current H1B visa expires on June 21. So he said he will approve my application once I email him my H1B extension I797 to him within 30 days. I received my I797 yesterday and emailed him the soft copy the same day. Today morning, I got a notification that my global entry application is approved. So, if you have a soon expiring H1B visa, you might be asked to show proof of I797 and eventually be approved.

Good luck everyone!
BruceWaine likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 2:32 pm

I got final approval. But I recently moved to a new address a week ago. There is an option to update the "Mailing Address" online itself. But the FAQ section of TTP CBP website says that you can walk in to any CBP location if there is a change in the "Residential/Permanent address". In my case, both the Mailing Address and Residential address is the same.

So, is it okay if I just update online or should I walk in to a CBP location as well?

Thanks.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by siddhuv89
I got final approval. But I recently moved to a new address a week ago. There is an option to update the "Mailing Address" online itself. But the FAQ section of TTP CBP website says that you can walk in to any CBP location if there is a change in the "Residential/Permanent address". In my case, both the Mailing Address and Residential address is the same.

So, is it okay if I just update online or should I walk in to a CBP location as well?

Thanks.
You can walk in, that is not a problem. Appointment is not needed.
siddhuv89 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 1:44 pm

Looks like the Home Ministry in Delhi is finally clearing GEP applications. I just received conditional approval. Finance Ministry clearance had come some months ago, and the hold up was the Home Ministry. We should see everyone's applications beginning to move if they've started clearing files.

I'm planning to go to use "Enrolment on Arrival" when I next visit the US to get my final clearance. Has anyone on here used that procedure ? Any suggestions ?
Old Jul 1, 2018, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
so finally after 1 year & 2 days since my application, i got an email today that my application status has changed....logged on to see that i have been conditionally approved....luckily i am in nyc right now so i've scheduled an appointment at jfk for tomorrow....hopefully all will go well....
Old Jul 1, 2018, 10:09 pm

Same here after exactly 1 year I have also received the same mail to schedule an appointment. To recap, I am a B1 B2 India based traveller. I will need to schedule at the earliest now & go thru the process.

I guess either the Indian Govt relented or the US govt adopted a "have not heard anything adverse in 1 year automatic renewal".....
Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Dev Lall
I guess either the Indian Govt relented or the US govt adopted a "have not heard anything adverse in 1 year automatic renewal".....
i'm tempted to say its the latter....
Old Jul 2, 2018, 1:58 pm

Hi All,
I am on L1A visa and yesterday 7/1 I got conditional approval.

Took about 9 months between applying at Indian Passport office and Conditional approval.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Keyser
i'm tempted to say its the latter....
I agree. The status on Indian Passport Portal is still the same. Definitely something with CBP, where they decided to clear these.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

had my interview today at jfk....it was scheduled for 4:30pm & i arrived 15 minutes earlier....there was a sign-in page at the door where i had to fill in my name & interview time....after that i took a seat in the waiting room....

around 4:50pm an officer called out my name & asked for my passport....she took the passport & told me to take a seat in the waiting room again....5 minutes later she called me again & took me over to her desk....

she asked me to verify my name & date of birth....then she took my picture & fingerprints....next she asked if i had ever been arrested or convicted in any criminal activity & whether i had ever applied for global entry before....lastly she asked me to verify my email & postal address....then she told me i was approved & handed me back my passport & a piece of paper with my trusted traveler number....the whole interview process took 2 minutes....i even got the approval email within an hour of leaving the enrollment center....

its unbelievable how the indian government managed to screw this up....it should never have taken a year to get conditional approval but i'm glad its done now....

Last edited by Keyser; Jul 3, 2018 at 10:13 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.