Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

India joins US Global Entry programme.

Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Please check out the parallel thread in the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers forum:

Global Entry for Citizens of India
Print Wikipost

India joins US Global Entry programme.

Old Feb 3, 2018, 7:16 pm

Based on inquiry to RPO, my application is still waiting for report from Home and Finance ministry.

Did anyone from August get conditional approval? I think most folks who got so far had submitted in July.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by obelix1
Based on inquiry to RPO, my application is still waiting for report from Home and Finance ministry.

Did anyone from August get conditional approval? I think most folks who got so far had submitted in July.
What information did you provide when you filled in the grievance request on the Indian passport website? I tried to use my application reference number, but I was told via email that the passport office can't find my file.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by anirudh666
What information did you provide when you filled in the grievance request on the Indian passport website? I tried to use my application reference number, but I was told via email that the passport office can't find my file.
Didn't go through grievance inquiry. My father in law went to see the head of RPO directly who himself was a senior govt. officer. RPO head looked at details and then told him the situation. He has promised to follow-up with those two ministries. I had met head of RPO myself when we (me and my wife) did the application but he was transferred couple of months back. This is a new guy so he didn't know much about it. But, very helpful.

Keyser - Would you know which dept. in Finance ministry handling this report? I've a cousin who is IAS and oversees the revenue dept in North Block. I've two travel coming-up so trying to get this done, if possible.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 1:24 pm

Didn't go through grievance inquiry. My father in law went to see the head of RPO directly who himself was a senior govt. officer. RPO head looked at details and then told him the situation. He has promised to follow-up with those two ministries. I had met head of RPO myself when we (me and my wife) did the application but he was transferred couple of months back. This is a new guy so he didn't know much about it. But, very helpful.

Keyser - Would you know which dept. in Finance ministry handling this report? I've a cousin who is IAS and oversees the revenue dept in North Block. I've two travel coming-up so trying to get this done, if possible.
So I’ve got to wait and hope that my file is approved before my visa expires

This is just great 😐
Old Feb 5, 2018, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
no clue....
Old Feb 5, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold

So I’ve got to wait and hope that my file is approved before my visa expires

This is just great 😐
I was thinking about it. Every time we get a new I-797 or a new passport we need to go see the GE office and update the details(no appointment needed). My assumption is same will be for stamped visa.
Now if you have extended your stay in US(so a valid I-94) but expired visa stamp - I doubt they will approve GE.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Acid
I was thinking about it. Every time we get a new I-797 or a new passport we need to go see the GE office and update the details(no appointment needed). My assumption is same will be for stamped visa.
Now if you have extended your stay in US(so a valid I-94) but expired visa stamp - I doubt they will approve GE.
If your visa was valid at the time you went for Indian background check, they can conditionally approve. Then, if your visa expires after getting conditionally approved, you take an appointment with the US CBP, and keep postponing the appointment until you have a valid visa stamp. Once you get visa stamped, then go for interview with US CBP at their GE enrollment center. The visa details can be updated by the CBP officer during your interview.

Last edited by anirudh666; Feb 5, 2018 at 11:58 am
Old Feb 5, 2018, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by Keyser
no clue....
No worries, thanks for coming back.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 6:00 pm

If your visa was valid at the time you went for Indian background check, they can conditionally approve. Then, if your visa expires after getting conditionally approved, you take an appointment with the US CBP, and keep postponing the appointment until you have a valid visa stamp. Once you get visa stamped, then go for interview with US CBP at their GE enrollment center. The visa details can be updated by the CBP officer during your interview.
I think I'll be good sample . My wife was stamped till 2020 but I was till Nov 2017 only. Submitted together in Aug and they did take the copies of visa stamps. So, will see how this plays out. I did get stamped till 2020 but that's not linked to my application, yet. I'd agree with your assessment.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 5:47 pm

So, not sure if that did the trick but we got conditional approval earlier today . Looks like some things still works in India . Home and Finance ministry did have to give some level of clearance (report) as they were followed-up last week by RPO head. So, safe to assume, approval came after that. Can't comment on how it would differ for person living in India vs USA. I live within 15min from EWR so will be visiting in next few days.

Passportindia.gov still shows "GEP Verification Process has been initiated......". etc.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 9:14 am

So, not sure if that did the trick but we got conditional approval earlier today . Looks like some things still works in India . Home and Finance ministry did have to give some level of clearance (report) as they were followed-up last week by RPO head. So, safe to assume, approval came after that. Can't comment on how it would differ for person living in India vs USA. I live within 15min from EWR so will be visiting in next few days.

Passportindia.gov still shows "GEP Verification Process has been initiated......". etc.
Congrats! I'll try tweeting to the RPO
Don't you need appointment for GE Interview at EWR? I've heard there are long wait times....
Old Feb 8, 2018, 10:01 am

I will ask my parents to check at the RPO. I don’t know anyone working personally at the RPO. Any tips for making enquiries at the RPO?

Old Feb 8, 2018, 2:34 pm

I will ask my parents to check at the RPO. I don’t know anyone working personally at the RPO. Any tips for making enquiries at the RPO?

I visited the RPO in Bandra Mumbai in December (not for GE, but with someone else for another issue). The customer service counters are staffed with frustrated staff who will read whatever info they see once they scan your barcode(basically the same status you see on PSK site). If you yell and create a scene - they will refer you to go see an actual officer. While I was there, I saw 2 girls absolutely angry at not getting police clearance and hence passports for more than 8 months. RPO would send them to CID office in town, who in turn would send them back to Bandra RPO. Finally they were allowed to go see the officer upstairs. While I was there, I inquired about Global Entry. No one knew what this whole process is. They called another senior guy to help - who made couple of phone calls(on his personal cell) and just left saying they didn't know anything about my application.

Edit: My point is - unless you can get through to actual RPO officers - don't waste time there.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by Acid
Congrats! I'll try tweeting to the RPO
Don't you need appointment for GE Interview at EWR? I've heard there are long wait times....
Thanks. Yes, they don't do walk-ins. I'll make an appointment. They have availability in odd hours so will have to try again.

It's not like I'm trading 8hrs of wait to get a GC instead of 8yrs . So, I'd not have done walk-in even if that was an option. It's just a nice to have perk.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 5:47 pm

I think couple of things are very clear. It will take time, and based on what we have seen so far, it is 5-6months to say the least (for US resident). Also, approval will come unless there was an issue with police report which I think passport portal shows in the status (no personal experience though). I don't think there are serious inquiries by Home/Finance ministry as such.

Besides, trying to get hold of somebody senior via phone or email who can actually see what's going on. As Acid said, RPO staff still don't know what it is so one can keep running around in circle with them. So, if do you send somebody then just try to get hold of someone who is APO at least.

For personal application, I'd avoid social media and do it more discreetly.

For policies/process, we should definitely push for separate channel for people who live in US as it doesn't make sense for them to go for police verification in India, and social media awareness can help us.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.