Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

India joins US Global Entry programme.

Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Please check out the parallel thread in the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers forum:

Global Entry for Citizens of India
Print Wikipost

India joins US Global Entry programme.

Old Feb 8, 2018, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by obelix1
I think couple of things are very clear. It will take time, and based on what we have seen so far, it is 5-6months to say the least (for US resident). Also, approval will come unless there was an issue with police report which I think passport portal shows in the status (no personal experience though). I don't think there are serious inquiries by Home/Finance ministry as such.

Besides, trying to get hold of somebody senior via phone or email who can actually see what's going on. As Acid said, RPO staff still don't know what it is so one can keep running around in circle with them. So, if do you send somebody then just try to get hold of someone who is APO at least.

For personal application, I'd avoid social media and do it more discreetly.

For policies/process, we should definitely push for separate channel for people who live in US as it doesn't make sense for them to go for police verification in India, and social media awareness can help us.
Hey - thanks for all the great information. When did you submit the application and when did you visit the PSK? I visited on Sept 4 and haven't heard a word yet...
Old Feb 10, 2018, 7:18 pm

It's all done. Found a convenient slot at EWR. Took around 10min for two person. Email confirmation came just after walking out. - 5yr default (expires on birthday)

Few things based on the interaction with officer:

1) It's linked to the visa, NOT to the petition. If there are not valid visa in the passport then they can't approve. Since it doesn't know the petition so I-94 will be limited on that. This may be important for H1B folks due to transfer/extensions, etc. Just to keep in mind conditional approval is good for 1yr.
2) New visa stamps requires in-person visit to CBP to get this updated. Rest of updates like passport, driver's license, etc. needs to be maintained online.
3) All traveling members, including infant, needs to have valid GE in order to use the kiosk. Even if one member doesn't then then general line needs to be used if declaring customs together. This info is easily available but I mixed this up with TSA PreCheck that allows children to tag along with parents - they don't need their own TSA PreCheck. I had to apply for my daughter 2 days ago who has US passport so will have to visit again in 2-3 weeks.
4) CBP appointment needs to be booked for each member from their own account.

Last edited by obelix1; Feb 10, 2018 at 7:31 pm
Old Feb 10, 2018, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by fishbowl27
Hey - thanks for all the great information. When did you submit the application and when did you visit the PSK? I visited on Sept 4 and haven't heard a word yet...
Only date that would be relevant is when police verification was done. Mine was done on 5th Aug. Application will still not get looked at till police report is officially accepted at PSK - timelines varies state wise (from couple of days to few weeks).
Old Feb 11, 2018, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by obelix1
It's all done. Found a convenient slot at EWR. Took around 10min for two person. Email confirmation came just after walking out. - 5yr default (expires on birthday)

Few things based on the interaction with officer:

1) It's linked to the visa, NOT to the petition. If there are not valid visa in the passport then they can't approve. Since it doesn't know the petition so I-94 will be limited on that. This may be important for H1B folks due to transfer/extensions, etc. Just to keep in mind conditional approval is good for 1yr.
2) New visa stamps requires in-person visit to CBP to get this updated. Rest of updates like passport, driver's license, etc. needs to be maintained online.
3) All traveling members, including infant, needs to have valid GE in order to use the kiosk. Even if one member doesn't then then general line needs to be used if declaring customs together. This info is easily available but I mixed this up with TSA PreCheck that allows children to tag along with parents - they don't need their own TSA PreCheck. I had to apply for my daughter 2 days ago who has US passport so will have to visit again in 2-3 weeks.
4) CBP appointment needs to be booked for each member from their own account.
I am no longer getting3-year H1 extensions until I-140 is approved. I hope I get my conditional approval in time, instead of having to wait till the next time I get my visa stamped.

Bangalore police has an internal timeline of 3 weeks for police verification, not sure if they adhere to it strictly
BruceWaine likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 10:10 pm

Programs: Global Entry, TTP CBP,
Originally Posted by anirudh666

I am no longer getting3-year H1 extensions until I-140 is approved. I hope I get my conditional approval in time, instead of having to wait till the next time I get my visa stamped.

Bangalore police has an internal timeline of 3 weeks for police verification, not sure if they adhere to it strictly
They do as me and couple of more friends who got our PV done last September, October had our cases sent back to PSK after verification, the immediate change of PV completed would be seen in PSK site, but then again it changes back to same old message of GEP has been initiated.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 3:33 am

Indian Living in India & have gone thru the entire song & dance as described by Keyser. Application was Mid July 2017. Portal gives the same narrative as everyone else. It seems the Indian system is stuck in slow motion & is not communicating back to the US.

But here is a clincher. I fly thru JFK at least once a month & since applying have been thru it at least 6 times. They now allow all B1/B2 visa holders to go thru the electronic both & scan passport & visa page get print out & walk out. Average time for all 6 times has been under 3 minutes from print out to baggage carousel. Time taken to do all the scanning etc about 5 minutes the first time & about 2 minute once you know the drill.

I believe it is only at Terminal 4 but it is brilliant & totally negates the need for a Global entry if the US is going this way at arrivals.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 5:41 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by Dev Lall
Indian Living in India & have gone thru the entire song & dance as described by Keyser. Application was Mid July 2017. Portal gives the same narrative as everyone else. It seems the Indian system is stuck in slow motion & is not communicating back to the US.

But here is a clincher. I fly thru JFK at least once a month & since applying have been thru it at least 6 times. They now allow all B1/B2 visa holders to go thru the electronic both & scan passport & visa page get print out & walk out. Average time for all 6 times has been under 3 minutes from print out to baggage carousel. Time taken to do all the scanning etc about 5 minutes the first time & about 2 minute once you know the drill.

I believe it is only at Terminal 4 but it is brilliant & totally negates the need for a Global entry if the US is going this way at arrivals.
Yes, I had GE - never had the time to renew - due to time contraints/no appointments available at EWR.

This is what the situation is at present also for US citizens - you effectively have the same kiosks now - and get to the carousel before your bags do - so no point, really...

Also, United takes *so long* to offload the baggage that there is simply no point of having GE at all!
Old Feb 12, 2018, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Yes, I had GE - never had the time to renew - due to time contraints/no appointments available at EWR.

This is what the situation is at present also for US citizens - you effectively have the same kiosks now - and get to the carousel before your bags do - so no point, really...

Also, United takes *so long* to offload the baggage that there is simply no point of having GE at all!
But you can get to the loo quicker if you have GE
Old Feb 12, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by anirudh666

But you can get to the loo quicker if you have GE

I guess that's true!

Haha - "Get GE so you can get to the loo faster"!

Last edited by SuperFlyBoy; Feb 12, 2018 at 11:05 am
Old Feb 12, 2018, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by BruceWaine
They do as me and couple of more friends who got our PV done last September, October had our cases sent back to PSK after verification, the immediate change of PV completed would be seen in PSK site, but then again it changes back to same old message of GEP has been initiated.
I never saw the change in status on the Passport India website.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 12:18 am

Programs: Global Entry, TTP CBP,

I guess you are talking about the automated passport services for B1/B2 visas, they have been there around from 2015-16, when my friends from India visited Dallas, they just had easy walkthrough with help of Kiosks. They have these automated kiosks for B1/B2 all major international airport terminals.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 2:35 am

Yes Bruce W you are correct on that point. I transited thru Dallas in 2016 but they never had it at that point & neither did Seattle or Chicago in 2017. JFK first time I experienced it was in August of 2017 & they did advise it was on "trial basis" for country wide implementation & only at T4. I have friends who have been thru other terminals recently & they still have the long lines. Either way good move.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 6:48 am

Yes Bruce W you are correct on that point. I transited thru Dallas in 2016 but they never had it at that point & neither did Seattle or Chicago in 2017. JFK first time I experienced it was in August of 2017 & they did advise it was on "trial basis" for country wide implementation & only at T4. I have friends who have been thru other terminals recently & they still have the long lines. Either way good move.
As an H1B visa holder in line for a green card, I feel unwanted when B1/B2 visa holders can go through automated passport control, but I cant, even though I pay taxes to the US government.
fishbowl27 likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy

The biggest benefit of global entry is the automatic membership into tsa pre check, which Indian citizens can't apply for directly
Old Feb 20, 2018, 10:55 pm

Programs: EY
Originally Posted by Keyser
so i hate to be the bearer of bad news but here is some more information i got yesterday....at a function last night i had a half hour conversation with the ias officer in the home ministry responsible for global entry applications for indian citizens....here are a few points from the conversation:
  • they were not informed in june 2017 that an announcement was going to be made to open up global entry for indian citizens....
  • when the announcement was made they were given a weeks time to comply with the requirements....
  • when the requirements were put into place it was initially just a police verification for indian residents....the rest of the background checks were to be done by the us authorities....
  • about a week after applications started coming in the pmo added a few requirements like full background verification to be done in india & every indian citizen, regardless of where they were living would be required to go through the police verification process....
Sorry, but I find this hard to believe (not that I doubt you or that this is perhaps what the officer thought actually happened), but the idea of Indians being given access to Global Entry was first mooted in September 2013, nearly four years before it finally came to fruition. Similar statements to the following, reaffirming India's future inclusion in Global Entry, were a part of every joint India US statement since that date, however very little was officially said regarding what both countries were doing in that time frame to make it a reality.
https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov...oint-statement

A Memorandum of Understanding between the two countries was signed in June 2016, nearly a year before it launched.
MoU signed to facilitate hassle-free entry of Indians into US | The Indian Express

However, we on this board are all well aware of how India seemingly unilaterally introduced new verification requirements immediately after the applications opened to Indians in July 2017, as evidenced by emails members here received from CBP indicating they had no foreknowledge of this requirement and offering refunds to affected applicants. It would be far from practicality to believe that the Home Ministry didn't know anything about Global Entry or its requirements prior to June 2017 when it had been widely shared in media for years.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.