Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 28, 2014, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
E-Visa / ETA and 30 Day Single Entry Visa on Arrival in India

India new Visa On Arrival
(Actually advance online e-Tourist Visa with actual visa issued on arrival)
https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/tvoa.html

The Indian e-Tourist Visa is available for holders of passports of following countries and territories:
Albania, Andorra, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Aruba, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Belize, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Cape Verde, Cayman Island, Chile, China, China (Hong Kong SAR), China (Macau SAR), Colombia, Comoros, Cook Islands, Costa Rica, Cote d'lvoire, Croatia, Cuba, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, East Timor, Ecuador, El Salvador, Eritrea, Estonia, Fiji, Finland, France, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kenya, Kiribati, Laos, Latvia, Lesotho, Liberia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Malta, Marshall Islands, Mauritius, Mexico, Micronesia, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Montserrat, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Nauru, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Niue Island, Norway, Oman, Palau, Palestine, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Korea, Republic of Macedonia, Romania, Russia, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Spain, Sri Lanka, Suriname, Swaziland, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, Tuvalu, UAE, Ukraine, United Kingdom, Uruguay, USA, Vanuatu, Vatican City-Holy See, Venezuela, Vietnam, Zambia, Zimbabwe

Eligibility
Citizens of the above-listed countries using ordinary passports from such countries when the sole objective of visiting India is one or more of the following: recreation (of most but not all sorts); sight seeing (in most of India); casual visit to meet friends or relatives (in most of India); short duration medical treatment; or casual visits for most (but not all) business purposes.

The passport should have at least six months' validity on the date of arrival.

International Travellers should have return ticket or onward journey ticket,with sufficient money to spend during his/her stay in India.

The visa is valid for a single entry for a stay of 30 days (from the date of entry) and cannot be extended.

Be sure to fill out your information very accurately! If there's anything off, you may be required to board the next flight out operated by your airline of entry.

Travellers having Pakistani Passport or Pakistani origin may please apply for regular Visa at Indian Mission.

Not available to Diplomatic/Official Passport Holders.

E-TOURIST VISA APPLICATION PROCESS
Step 1
Apply online
Upload Photo and Passport Page

Step 2
Pay visa fee online
Using Credit / Debit card

Step 3
Receive ETA Online
ETA Will be sent to your e-mail

Step 4
Print ETA and carry it for and on the flight to India so you can present it on arrival at the immigration desks.

This being India, it is the real experience on arrival that is critical, especially since this is a brand new operation.

We need datapoints for
- How long it took you to get through immigration?
- Any issues (human, bureaucratic or technological?)

Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

Evisa & Visa on arrival for India

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2023, 9:19 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
In practice immigration officials rarely ask for documentation to prove any such requirements are satisfied. However I notice that one-way tickets are increasingly attracting the attention of check-in agents, a symptom (I'm guessing) of Timatic-driven tick-boxes and concerns about fines for delivering ineligible visitors.
Probably more of a meta discussion, but the reason immigration officials are no longer concerned is the fact that they have delegated that job to the airlines who don't dare to board pax that are not squeaky clean. That said the major airlines have a way of checking with the immigration authorities of the destination if they are allowed to board someone, but that won't help you when you are trying to check in with an outsourced powerless nearly min wage agent in a small remote airport. They will go by TIMATIC out of fear to lose their job if they make a mistake.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Probably more of a meta discussion, but the reason immigration officials are no longer concerned is the fact that they have delegated that job to the airlines who don't dare to board pax that are not squeaky clean.

Yes. The documentation associated with covid-era travel intensified and set that shift in responsibility from immigration at destination to check-in agents at the origin airport.

Sure. the border forces retain ultimate authority, but their workload has been lightened....
Old May 9, 2023, 12:17 pm

Programs: Statusless and proud
Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
I'm seeing $10 from April to June and $25 from July to March for the 30 day e-Visa. Those are in USD from the New York consulate. I don't believe India charges differently for different nationalities, but I may be mistaken.
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
You are mistaken.
Just clarifying for those who return to this thread later. Those prices apply to every nationality that is eligible for the e-visa (unless the price is waived for various nationalities, but no one has to pay more).

Etourist_fee_final.pdf (indianvisaonline.gov.in)
Old Jul 4, 2023, 2:12 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Trying to walk through this minefield and have a few questions:

I understand that I can apply for a e visa 30 days prior to departure but do I understand that the validity starts the countdown from the date of the entry stamp on arrival?

Does the standard 30 day visa allow for 2 entries and is this defined in the application

Any suggestions on the photo required? Digital picture from an iPhone OK

Thanks for the feedback
Old Jul 4, 2023, 3:12 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
I understand that I can apply for a e visa 30 days prior to departure but do I understand that the validity starts the countdown from the date of the entry stamp on arrival?
Does the standard 30 day visa allow for 2 entries and is this defined in the application
You can enter India within 30 days of getting the visa. The stay clock starts from the day of entry and you can enter twice. My friends had this in their confirmation email:

Application ID :-
Passport Number :-
Application Status :-Granted
ETA Number :-
Nationality :-GERMANY
Visa Type :-e-Visa
Service Name :-eTOURIST VISA
No. of Entries :-Double
  • Date of issue of ETA :- December 07th,2022
  • Date of expiry of ETA :- January 06th,2023
  • Visa Processing Fee Paid (Excluding Bank Charges) :- $25
  • e-Tourist Visa Validity period is 30 days from the date of arrival in India. The e-Visa validity period will be stamped on your Passport upon arrival which will be 30 days from the date of entry
  • Activities Permitted :
    • Tourism,Recreation,Sight-seeing
  • Double entries will be granted within the e-Visa validity period stamped on your passport.
  • Covid 19 related guidelines of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India shall be strictly adhered to (www.mohfw.gov.in)
  • This ETA is not valid for entry into India from Land Immigration Check Posts.
  • For Tele Enquiries (IVRS enquiry) call at +91-11-24300666.Please use 00125226622 as key.
  • Note :
  • Please carry a copy of this ETA at the time of your arrival in India.
  • e-Visa is non-extendable, non-convertible & not valid for visiting Protected/Restricted and Cantonment Areas.If you intend to visit Protected/Restricted/Cantonment areas, you would require prior permission from the Civil Authority.Please visit (http://www.mdoner.gov.in/content/rap...ed-area-permit) for more information.
  • Biometric details of the applicant will be mandatorily captured at Immigration on arrival in India.
  • Applicant must arrive with the same passport as mentioned above. However, entry may be allowed on the new passport even if ETA has been issued on the old passport, but in that case the traveler must carry the old passport on which ETA was issued.
  • Please check all the details including Nationality, Name, Passport number, Date of Birth etc. mentioned on the ETA. If there is any discrepancy, please contact e-Visa support centre at [email protected] for assistance.
  • Applicant can arrive at 29 e-Visa designated airports i.e. Ahmedabad , Amritsar , Bagdogra , Bengaluru , Bhubaneshwar , Calicut , Chandigarh , Chennai , Cochin , Coimbatore , Delhi , Gaya , Goa , Guwahati , Hyderabad , Jaipur , Kannur , Kolkata , Lucknow , Madurai , Mangalore , Mumbai , Nagpur , Portblair , Pune , Tiruchirapalli , Trivandrum , Varanasi , Vishakhapatnam and 5 designated seaports (i.e. Chennai , Cochin , Goa , Mangalore , Mumbai ). However, he/she can depart from any of the authorized Immigration Check Posts in India.
  • In case of arrival at Port Blair airport, Restricted Area Permit/ Protected Area Permit is mandatory.
  • e-Visa is not allowed for employment, NGO activities and journalism purposes
  • Once you have entered India, you will be subject to Indian Laws.
  • This electronic travel authorization does not entitle you for guaranteed entry into India. Your entry can still be refused at the time of arrival.
  • Please confirm that your ETA status is shown as "GRANTED" on our Official website (https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/tvoa.html) prior to commencement of your journey.
  • Applicant must carry YELLOW FEVER VACCINATION CARD if arriving from yellow fever affected countries. Please visit the link given below (http://www.mohfw.nic.in/index1.php?l...=1342&lid=1259)
  • You have paid US $25 towards Visa Processing Fee. Government of India has not authorized any third party to act as intermediary in issuance of e-Visa. Only 2.5% (3.5% in case of PayPal) bank charges apply.
  • For any assistance contact e-Visa support center at [email protected]
ExpatSomchai likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the feedback
Any digital photo is fine, so long as it fits the format, size and dimension required. It might take some juggling about with software to get your photo into shape, and an element of frustration might creep in: but you'll get there!

You get issued with a document authorising your entry, and the issue of the visa. You should make sure you print out a copy of this: it's in their system, they can access it, but, well, this is India

You should head with your paperwork to the dedicated desks dealing with e-visas: though this might be a feature of the busier entry airports. At Mumbai the e-visa desks are at the far end of the immigration hall. For subsequent arrivals on that visa, now stamped in your passport, you can head for the regular visa desks: that, at least is my experience ... but Indian immigration has a capacity to surprise us,
ExpatSomchai likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 5:54 am

You should head with your paperwork to the dedicated desks dealing with e-visas: though this might be a feature of the busier entry airports. At Mumbai the e-visa desks are at the far end of the immigration hall. For subsequent arrivals on that visa, now stamped in your passport, you can head for the regular visa desks: that, at least is my experience ... but Indian immigration has a capacity to surprise us,
As of late December, that is gone: any 'visitor' counter in BOM does the evisa nowadays, which was frustrating for the visitors who already have a visa as the inital setup of the evisa with the associated fingerprint capture takes a while.
Old Jul 6, 2023, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002
As of late December, that is gone: any 'visitor' counter in BOM the evisa nowadays, which was frustrating for the visitors who already have a visa as the inital setup of the evisa with the associated fingerprint capture takes a while.
My e-visa was converted to an in-passport visa at BOM last week. I was directed to the E-visa section of immigration desks. Maybe I was misdirected, but the section was clearly designated as such, and separated from the general visitor set-up by a number of empty desks.

The temperamental finger-print gathering devices were still in place, but I wasn't asked to use one. There's still a bit of faff involved, i guess matching system data with the paper-work, but it was a relatively speedy process, allowing me just enough time to fill in the arrival form at the desk
Old Aug 11, 2023, 7:42 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Thanks all for your previous help. I am now in the process of completing the visa application (eVisa) and just wanted to ask if there is anything which I should take care of and be careful about?

Also on the last page it asks for a reference in India. As we are a Tourist what do we enter here as it seems mandatory? Hotel details?
Old Aug 11, 2023, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks all for your previous help. I am now in the process of completing the visa application (eVisa) and just wanted to ask if there is anything which I should take care of and be careful about?

Also on the last page it asks for a reference in India. As we are a Tourist what do we enter here as it seems mandatory? Hotel details?
The form can be quite daunting. You might find this helpful:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...ccc/edit?pli=1

I'm no longer sure what I put as a reference, but I think it was my first-night hotel. The key points in the form seem to be don't be a journalist and don't have Pakistan connections.

They'll also want an address from you in the landing form you present at the immigration desk. The days when airlines routinely distributed these onboard seem to be over, so you should pick one up from one of the tables holding them in the run up to the immigration hall. They're pretty short and simple and you can fill them in while waiting in line.
Old Aug 13, 2023, 4:01 pm

Thanks Ian. I went with the hotel and got the approval in 18 hours
Old Oct 4, 2023, 9:43 am

Programs: AC SE100K
it seems the sort of question you might expect in the application for a consular visa, particularly from India - a country twitchy about the nationality, antecedents and profession of its visitors.

I, too, might be unhappy if I thought my citizenship might inhibit the issue of a visa.

But otherwise I wouldn't give a toss.
As a Canadian dual-national, I wonder if putting in my Canadian nationality will hinder my e-visa approval given current events.

Also, I previously visited India and got a visa on arrival at the airport. The question about whether I've previously visited asks for a visa number and visa category. I don't have that because it was just a stamp in my passport (not even a full page sticker-type visa). I wonder if I should select 'no' to that question.
Old Oct 4, 2023, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by pilot007
As a Canadian dual-national, I wonder if putting in my Canadian nationality will hinder my e-visa approval given current events.
I suppose "hinder" is one way to put it. You cannot repeat cannot currently get a visa based on your Canadian passport. But you can use your other passport.
Also, I previously visited India and got a visa on arrival at the airport. The question about whether I've previously visited asks for a visa number and visa category. I don't have that because it was just a stamp in my passport (not even a full page sticker-type visa). I wonder if I should select 'no' to that question.
If you got a VoA, presumably the category is VoA, no? If this is a menu and does not have that as a choice, you could choose "tourist". I was not aware that VoAs do not have numbers--- I guess you could enter zeroes, but in any case it is best not to make a false statement that you have not visited India before.
Old Oct 4, 2023, 11:42 am

Programs: AC SE100K
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
I suppose "hinder" is one way to put it. You cannot repeat cannot currently get a visa based on your Canadian passport. But you can use your other passport.If you got a VoA, presumably the category is VoA, no? If this is a menu and does not have that as a choice, you could choose "tourist". I was not aware that VoAs do not have numbers--- I guess you could enter zeroes, but in any case it is best not to make a false statement that you have not visited India before.
Aware that I can’t use the Canadian. But wondering if they’re taking further punitive measures against Canadian dual nationals. I’d guess not, but never know!

India used to issue VoA for a few countries. There was just a stamp in my old passport which I don’t have access to.
Old Oct 4, 2023, 12:20 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Aware that I can’t use the Canadian. But wondering if they’re taking further punitive measures against Canadian dual nationals. I’d guess not, but never know!

India used to issue VoA for a few countries. There was just a stamp in my old passport which I don’t have access to.
when I checked a few months ago for a friend, the true Visa on arrival ( where you could just land and apply without any prior paperwork ) was only open to Japan / South Korea and UAE (UAE only if there was a prior visit )

Even with these there are restrictions based on family origin etc ..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.