Reload this Page >

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2016, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

PLEASE NOTE that CERTAIN DOMESTIC FLIGHTS OF Air India (#010-399 and 900-999) are ACTUALLY segments of INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT and hence for the following discussion should be considered INTL flights.

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal (T1) and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.
(For those not familiar with Santacruz Airport - CSIA - while both T1 and T2 uses same airfield and runaways, they are quite apart landside and can be 25-45 min by taxi depending on the traffic)

If first time in BOM then it is advisable to book connection with AI or Vistara to avoid this transfer between terminals.

INTL-to-INTL connections (suspended as of Jan 2022 due to COVID):

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain domestic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight (#010-399 and 900-999). When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tariffs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If you are travelling by Air India and your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight (currently applicable to certain AI flights only) then you would have already completed immigration process at your origin and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through immigration at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.

Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India, Jet Airways and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.

INTL-to-INTL connections:

NOTE: Air-India operates some domestic flight segments as extension of an oversees flight (Typically flight numbers <400 - Double check routing on AI website to confirm example: AI 144 EWR_BOM_DEL). They should be treated as INTL flights for immigration/rechek/customs purpose.

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain dometic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight such as EWR-BOM-AMD flight. When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight then you would have already completed emmigration (exit from India) process at your origination and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through emmigration process at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.
Print Wikipost

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2017, 1:32 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
AI respects *G, the business/executive club domestic checkin desk is usually empty.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 5:28 pm
formerly gantid

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Platinum, Marriott Platinum elite, *G, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Painless transfer in BOM. Report to LX check-in for a lounge invite and to verify the apis data.
thanks Oliver, my wife had an incredibly easy transit thru BOM (BLR-BOM-ZRH-IAD). As you said, she got her BP and lounge invite after passport check at the SWISS counter and she said the dedicated J/F security/immigration check was a breeze as there were just three others in the line.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:57 am

Previously AI 141 from EWR to AMD via BOM was treated like INTL-to-INTL conection at BOM with customs done at AMD.

Now the flight is broken up into AI 141 for EWR-BOM portion and AI 91 for BOM-AMD portion. If ticket is purchased as one single PNR, where is customs/immigration?

(If I follow wiki above, customs should be in BOM as AI 91 does not seem to be international flight. is this true?)
Old Sep 13, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Immigration will be at AMD.

3-digit flight numbers starting with 0-4 and 9 are considered international flights. The connection in BOM would be "international to international" and no customs/immigration will take place there.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by desi
Thank you for confirming that "Make left after customs for transfer desk" advice in the wiki above is still valid.

Are you sure you noticed AI counter there too? (Reason for such particular question is that post 483 had reported that AI does not have transfer counter in that area on the arrival floor any more)

Correct current information is EXTREMELY CRUCIAL to many senior citizens or first-time teenagers or first-time foreigners traveling on AI and making connections at BOM.
There are definitely Air India counters adjacent to the Jet Airways counters in the transfer area (Left after Customs).
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL

3-digit flight numbers starting with 0-4 and 9 are considered international flights. The connection in BOM would be "international to international" and no customs/immigration will take place there.
Thanks for the info.

AI website seem to list only following 12 flights into that category:
>>>
flight AI050, AI054, AI083, AI094, AI101, AI130, AI144, AI310, AI314, AI331, AI348, AI965
>>>
Old Sep 25, 2017, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL

Thank you for the information. I didn't aware of '3-digit flight numbers starting with 0-4 and 9 are considered international flights'. Is this true for AI flights only?
Old Sep 25, 2017, 8:04 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TheMadeTraveler
I didn't aware of '3-digit flight numbers starting with 0-4 and 9 are considered international flights'. Is this true for AI flights only?
Yes. Every airline has its own definitions for flight number ranges.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:33 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
I thought I had this down, but as I am in the process of applying for an e-visa, I'm reading that I may instead need a "Transit Visa"....Arriving late evening on Singapore Airlines, depart in the morning on Air Seychelles. Presuming I have to pick up bags and clear Immigration in order to do so.
So how does the transit visa work? It says valid for 15 days from date of issue. If I apply today for a late-October trip, then will they refrain from issuing until mid October, or do I need to wait to apply?
Does this mean I'll need to travel to my closest Mission (2 hours away in San Francisco), at a day that THEY schedule? There's also no way I can do that given I'll only be in town for 2 days between early October and my trip.
Flying SQ Suites into India if that makes any kind of difference.
Help Appreciated.
Joe

Last edited by joecool1885; Sep 25, 2017 at 6:42 pm
Old Sep 26, 2017, 4:39 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by joecool1885
I thought I had this down, but as I am in the process of applying for an e-visa, I'm reading that I may instead need a "Transit Visa"....Arriving late evening on Singapore Airlines, depart in the morning on Air Seychelles. Presuming I have to pick up bags and clear Immigration in order to do so.
So how does the transit visa work? It says valid for 15 days from date of issue. If I apply today for a late-October trip, then will they refrain from issuing until mid October, or do I need to wait to apply?
Does this mean I'll need to travel to my closest Mission (2 hours away in San Francisco), at a day that THEY schedule? There's also no way I can do that given I'll only be in town for 2 days between early October and my trip.
Flying SQ Suites into India if that makes any kind of difference.
Help Appreciated.
Joe
Don't know anything about transit visas but generally Indian visas are valid from date of issue, not date of travel, so don't apply too early
Old Sep 26, 2017, 8:30 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Just go for the evisa, transit visa is more of a hassle...
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:02 am

Additional, First hand confirmation.

"Make left after customs for transfer desk" ahe wiki above is still valid (@knit-in also confirmed)

Information in post 483 above is not correct
Old Oct 4, 2017, 11:26 am

Can someone please help? I am planning to take a round trip from EWR-BOM-MAA, and return MAA-BOM-EWR. EWR-BOM is on United, and it is United ticket all the way, and BOM-MAA is on Jet Airways.
Questions:
- Do I need to travel from one terminal to other or Jet is in the same terminal? Meaning, do I have to take some shuttle to get to Jet Airways.
- Will Jet Airways honor UA baggage policy at BOM->MAA and MAA->BOM->EWR?
- I am also a United Gold member. Does Jet Airways recognize this, and give me 2 free bags at 32kg?
- Does Jet book my baggage all the way to EWR at Chennai (MAA)?
- Is there a good lounge that is available for United Gold members in Bombay?

would appreciate your experience on this. Thanks.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rrnet
Can someone please help? I am planning to take a round trip from EWR-BOM-MAA, and return MAA-BOM-EWR. EWR-BOM is on United, and it is United ticket all the way, and BOM-MAA is on Jet Airways.
Questions:
- Do I need to travel from one terminal to other or Jet is in the same terminal? Meaning, do I have to take some shuttle to get to Jet Airways.
- Will Jet Airways honor UA baggage policy at BOM->MAA and MAA->BOM->EWR?
- I am also a United Gold member. Does Jet Airways recognize this, and give me 2 free bags at 32kg?
- Does Jet book my baggage all the way to EWR at Chennai (MAA)?
- Is there a good lounge that is available for United Gold members in Bombay?

would appreciate your experience on this. Thanks.
If it is ONE ticket then Jet will honor the bags coming in from US to India.
On the way back, show them your United ticket and they will waive the
baggage fees since you are connecting to the U.S. I think Jet can book it
all the way to EWR from MAA. You will need to clear the bags in BOM
on the way in for customs and drop them at Jet, for BOM-MAA flight.
No shuttle needed. Same terminal.

I think *A lounges are departure only and jet is not *A. So you will get
access to BOM lounge only on your return flight. You could ask United
to book you on AI which *A and you can lounges in BOM and MAA both
ways...

Hope this helps..
Old Oct 4, 2017, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by flyalways
If it is ONE ticket then Jet will honor the bags coming in from US to India.
On the way back, show them your United ticket and they will waive the
baggage fees since you are connecting to the U.S. I think Jet can book it
all the way to EWR from MAA. You will need to clear the bags in BOM
on the way in for customs and drop them at Jet, for BOM-MAA flight.
No shuttle needed. Same terminal.

I think *A lounges are departure only and jet is not *A. So you will get
access to BOM lounge only on your return flight. You could ask United
to book you on AI which *A and you can lounges in BOM and MAA both
ways...

Hope this helps..
Yes, thanks so much for the info. Appreciated it. Checked AI, and it does not have a good connection.

Also, I just booked a temporary ticket, and cancelled it. I saw that BOM-MAA will be 2 bags at 32kg (because of Gold status on UA), but coming back Jet airways will honor only the usual UA 1 bag policy @ 23kg, but will not honor my Gold status 2 bags at 32kg. So, I have to pay $100 for the second bag. Not sure if it is worth doing this itinerary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.