Reload this Page >

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2016, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

PLEASE NOTE that CERTAIN DOMESTIC FLIGHTS OF Air India (#010-399 and 900-999) are ACTUALLY segments of INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT and hence for the following discussion should be considered INTL flights.

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal (T1) and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.
(For those not familiar with Santacruz Airport - CSIA - while both T1 and T2 uses same airfield and runaways, they are quite apart landside and can be 25-45 min by taxi depending on the traffic)

If first time in BOM then it is advisable to book connection with AI or Vistara to avoid this transfer between terminals.

INTL-to-INTL connections (suspended as of Jan 2022 due to COVID):

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain domestic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight (#010-399 and 900-999). When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tariffs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If you are travelling by Air India and your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight (currently applicable to certain AI flights only) then you would have already completed immigration process at your origin and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through immigration at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.

Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India, Jet Airways and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.

INTL-to-INTL connections:

NOTE: Air-India operates some domestic flight segments as extension of an oversees flight (Typically flight numbers <400 - Double check routing on AI website to confirm example: AI 144 EWR_BOM_DEL). They should be treated as INTL flights for immigration/rechek/customs purpose.

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain dometic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight such as EWR-BOM-AMD flight. When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight then you would have already completed emmigration (exit from India) process at your origination and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through emmigration process at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.
Print Wikipost

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2018, 3:06 pm
formerly gantid

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Platinum, Marriott Platinum elite, *G, Hilton Gold
thanks, hopefully at that hour it is not too crowded.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 7:29 am

Programs: Blasé..
Had a nightmare in Immigration yesterday at BOM - With all 3 9W biggies coming in one after other LHR/AMS/CDG - It was a full house and 9W abruptly offloaded pax from whichever flight came last from the domestic connection - I was connecting from 9W123 - CDG to 9W2001 - AMD and was told that I was offloaded - I retaliated and pushed them, with my checked-in bags already in my hands - they could not deny any further to check me in and hesitantly gave me 1 of the last seats - Upon boarding, I realized lot of PAX who were booked on S24329 to AMD were pushed to 9W2001 - thereby swapping seats!

Rather than helping pax in retrieving bags and getting through Security faster - 9W staff were just plain indifferent and could not cared less!
Old Jan 30, 2018, 1:46 am

LHR - GOI

Hello guys, looking for a bit of advice here.
Only yesterday did I discover how hectic BOM sounds, my flights with Jet Airways have been booked since last October and now I’m worried I’m not going to make the connection. I’m travelling LHR to GOI via BOM and these are my arrival and departure times...

LHR - BOM: 0030 arrival
BOM - GOI: 0235 departure

I have heard this will be landing into the new terminal on the 14th Feb? But how likely is it that we will actually make the connection with a 2 hour window?

i have a couple of domestic flights, during my time here through BOM but I’m not overly worried about this. It’s just getting to GOI and then back to London that is a potential worry? I have a tight schedule already, and seems to have been made even tighter.

I also presume that that because I booked the whole thing with Jet Airways, they have to put me on the next available flight if we miss it?

Never had this worry with Turkish at Istanbul

any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Last edited by Ryan Piper; Jan 30, 2018 at 1:50 am Reason: spelling error
Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:40 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The BOM intl arrivals is a madhouse from 1am to 4am. You should be OK around midnight. It takes about 40 minutes to pass immigration, claim your bags and get thru customs, who will screen all handluggage, to the Jet Airways transit recheck. Jet will rebook you to the next GOI flight if you don't make it. Only separate tickets make it a hassle. On the way out of India you just change sides within the same terminal building and level, the luggage is checked thru, there 40 mins suffices.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
The BOM intl arrivals is a madhouse from 1am to 4am. You should be OK around midnight. It takes about 40 minutes to pass immigration, claim your bags and get thru customs, who will screen all handluggage, to the Jet Airways transit recheck. Jet will rebook you to the next GOI flight if you don't make it. Only separate tickets make it a hassle. On the way out of India you just change sides within the same terminal building and level, the luggage is checked thru, there 40 mins suffices.
Thank you, slightly more reassuring
Old Jan 30, 2018, 7:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Ryan Piper
Hello guys, looking for a bit of advice here.
Only yesterday did I discover how hectic BOM sounds, my flights with Jet Airways have been booked since last October and now I’m worried I’m not going to make the connection. I’m travelling LHR to GOI via BOM and these are my arrival and departure times...

LHR - BOM: 0030 arrival
BOM - GOI: 0235 departure

I have heard this will be landing into the new terminal on the 14th Feb? But how likely is it that we will actually make the connection with a 2 hour window?

i have a couple of domestic flights, during my time here through BOM but I’m not overly worried about this. It’s just getting to GOI and then back to London that is a potential worry? I have a tight schedule already, and seems to have been made even tighter.

I also presume that that because I booked the whole thing with Jet Airways, they have to put me on the next available flight if we miss it?

Never had this worry with Turkish at Istanbul

any help and advice would be much appreciated.
I did LHR-BOM-GOI on Air India couple of weeks back with one checked bag. I was surprised to
find that the immigration and bag recovery was done in GOI. Not sure 9W does the same ? At BOM,
three domestic flights passengers (AMD, GOI and Cochin) were separated to transit directly to
domestic departures. After security straight to GOI boarding gate. At GOI all the passengers
from LHR were led to Immigration line.

Normally this would be a much better way to do things but that day just before our
BOM-GOI landed, there was a flight from Kuwait that had landed in GOI. This created
a One hour backup in GOI immigration. I think doing immigration in BOM would
have been faster because they have may be 25 counters as opposed to 4 in GOI :-(

Check with 9W if your immigration is happening in BOM or GOI....
Old Jan 30, 2018, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by flyalways
I did LHR-BOM-GOI on Air India couple of weeks back with one checked bag. I was surprised to
find that the immigration and bag recovery was done in GOI. Not sure 9W does the same ? At BOM,
three domestic flights passengers (AMD, GOI and Cochin) were separated to transit directly to
domestic departures. After security straight to GOI boarding gate. At GOI all the passengers
from LHR were led to Immigration line.

Normally this would be a much better way to do things but that day just before our
BOM-GOI landed, there was a flight from Kuwait that had landed in GOI. This created
a One hour backup in GOI immigration. I think doing immigration in BOM would
have been faster because they have may be 25 counters as opposed to 4 in GOI :-(

Check with 9W if your immigration is happening in BOM or GOI....
I have spoken to 9W and they said that everything has to be done at BOM, which doesn’t bother me. I would just like to reach my connection on time, would be a nice surprise though if it was all straight through to GOI which I would prefer.

Thanks guys!
Old Jan 30, 2018, 8:22 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

See the entry in the wiki, AI 001-299 and AI 900- are international flights. BOM-GOI sometimes is one of those. 9W doesn't have this system at all.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
See the entry in the wiki, AI 001-299 and AI 900- are international flights. BOM-GOI sometimes is one of those. 9W doesn't have this system at all.
I think this system was extremely chaotic and could result in issues. IMHO it is better
to design the process to avoid any exceptions. In the US all international arrivals
regardless of final destination are processed at the first port of entry. This makes
it easier for Airline staff, Airport staff and passengers...
Old Jan 30, 2018, 9:00 am

The AI system is useful as the the infrastructure supports it. The US is not a transit country so its system is set up differently and cannot be held as a standard.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 9:03 am

Location: KUL (MY), ICN (KR), ZRH (CH) or OTP (RO) - or somewhere in between
Programs: OZ, JL
Originally Posted by flyalways
...This makes it easier for Airline staff, Airport staff and passengers...
Maybe for airline staff and airport staff. For passengers, not so much.
And how is the US a good example here, in a thread about BOM airport?
But since you mentioned the US “system”, and this discussion went off-topic anyway, just picture the passengers flying between Europe and Central or South America, for example. No one in their right minds would fly a US airline for such an itinerary, mainly because of the need to enter and exit the US in order to make a simple connection. Luckily there are a lot of ways to fly between those regions without the need to touch any US airport.
And now compare that with, let’s say, flying between Europe and the Far East through BOM. Having an international transit in BOM may not be as straight forward as transiting in HKG, SIN, ICN, NRT, TPE or the likes, but I would take a connection in BOM over ANY US airport in a heart bit.
To conclude, connecting in BOM may pose some issues but there are places like the US, Mexico, Canada, some major airports in mainland China (though not all Chinese airports) where the ordeal to either connect or just arrive is far worse than at BOM.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by mihaid

Maybe for airline staff and airport staff. For passengers, not so much.
And how is the US a good example here, in a thread about BOM airport?
But since you mentioned the US “system”, and this discussion went off-topic anyway, just picture the passengers flying between Europe and Central or South America, for example. No one in their right minds would fly a US airline for such an itinerary, mainly because of the need to enter and exit the US in order to make a simple connection. Luckily there are a lot of ways to fly between those regions without the need to touch any US airport.
And now compare that with, let’s say, flying between Europe and the Far East through BOM. Having an international transit in BOM may not be as straight forward as transiting in HKG, SIN, ICN, NRT, TPE or the likes, but I would take a connection in BOM over ANY US airport in a heart bit.
To conclude, connecting in BOM may pose some issues but there are places like the US, Mexico, Canada, some major airports in mainland China (though not all Chinese airports) where the ordeal to either connect or just arrive is far worse than at BOM.

Do not understand why International - International transfers are being compared to International - Domestic
transfers ?? Just saying that International to Domestic transfer in Mumbai is DIFFERENT depending on the
Airline you fly in, Domestic Destination and your International starting point. This creates lot of confusion for
everyone that are planning their trips...It is always better to have ONE process for all passengers arriving
in the country regardless of which airline they have flown in or which domestic destination they are going to.
In the case of this guy asking question about BOM airport safe connection time, the answer would be
different if he was flying AI going to GOI or if he was flying Jet going to Pune ! That is my point...
Old Jan 31, 2018, 2:05 am

Well, AI offers thos service for their intl pax and it is much appreciated. If I'm arriving in DEL and want to get to CCU, I hate doing the I/D transfer 'experience' which also involved a terminal (on the other side of the airfield) change in the days prior to 2009. Since AI didn't offer west bound nonstop flights from CCU, this was their way of offering a convinient connection. The flights to CCU for example used to continue on to East Bound longhauls and pax starting in DEL for HKG would have the same convinience in CCU.

That said I don't see hordes of lost and confused passengers running aorund aimlessly in DEL or BOM when I iarrive, so it must be working....
Old Jan 31, 2018, 5:58 am

When I arrived from LHR, there was mass chaos and confusion of passengers at the transit
desk. Lot of yelling, changing of lines etc. etc. It was hard for many older passengers to figure out what they should
be doing. I did not get any instructions about this process from AI staff in London so I was surprised to learn. I am sure
it was confusing for many inexperienced travelers since they were told by their family that they need to pick their bags
in Mumbai...Not a smooth experience, I must say !
Old Feb 2, 2018, 3:49 am

HKG-BOM-LHR same ticket only hand carry

Would appreciate some help.

May be travelling HKG-BOM (CX J) arriving at 11.55 pm and transferring to BOM-LHR (BA J) which departs at 1.45 am. Have 1 hour and 50 minutes and CX said MCT is 1hour.

Am I right that there is no need to clear immigration and no visa required?

Also, do CX and BA use the same or different terminals?

Is 1 hour and 50 min in this situation realistic?

Any tips on what to do and expect?

Thank you very much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.