Reload this Page >

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2016, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

PLEASE NOTE that CERTAIN DOMESTIC FLIGHTS OF Air India (#010-399 and 900-999) are ACTUALLY segments of INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT and hence for the following discussion should be considered INTL flights.

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal (T1) and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.
(For those not familiar with Santacruz Airport - CSIA - while both T1 and T2 uses same airfield and runaways, they are quite apart landside and can be 25-45 min by taxi depending on the traffic)

If first time in BOM then it is advisable to book connection with AI or Vistara to avoid this transfer between terminals.

INTL-to-INTL connections (suspended as of Jan 2022 due to COVID):

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain domestic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight (#010-399 and 900-999). When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tariffs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If you are travelling by Air India and your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight (currently applicable to certain AI flights only) then you would have already completed immigration process at your origin and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through immigration at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.

Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India, Jet Airways and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.

INTL-to-INTL connections:

NOTE: Air-India operates some domestic flight segments as extension of an oversees flight (Typically flight numbers <400 - Double check routing on AI website to confirm example: AI 144 EWR_BOM_DEL). They should be treated as INTL flights for immigration/rechek/customs purpose.

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain dometic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight such as EWR-BOM-AMD flight. When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight then you would have already completed emmigration (exit from India) process at your origination and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through emmigration process at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.
Print Wikipost

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2017, 7:32 am
formerly gantid

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Platinum, Marriott Platinum elite, *G, Hilton Gold
A friend of mine is transiting via BOM and I want to make sure that I give her correct information.

She is arriving in BOM on LX from ZRH @ 10:30 PM. She has a connecting flight on 9W to BLR (Separate PNR) @ 03:00 AM.

I know that she will have to collect her bags, complete immigration/customs checks in BOM.

Will she be able to use 9W transfer desk (if it exists) to checkin for BLR? or will she have to go to the domestic departures to checkin?

thanks
Old Nov 27, 2017, 3:17 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
9W desk can be used.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 5:16 am
formerly gantid

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Platinum, Marriott Platinum elite, *G, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
9W desk can be used.
thank you very much.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
I'm coming TK from IST, then to IXC, flight 641 Air India, same PNR. Is this INTL to INTL or INTL to Domestic? Also will bags need to be claimed? And AI has transfer desk somewhere?
Old Dec 13, 2017, 3:54 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Claim bags in BOM after immigration, take bags thru customs, then turn left and drop off bags with AI at the transfer desk.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: M&M FTL
Never been to BOM nor India.
In a couple of weeks I have a connecting flight from MUC to BOM and then to HYD final destination.
I will have a Business Class ticket issued by Lufthansa, but the BOM-HYD flight is operated by Jet Lite / Jet Airways.
I read this thread and I have to admit that the whole BOM experience looks terrible and I'm scared now.
I have a few stupid questions but I would be happy to have some good answers in advance so I can keep calm

- after landing at BOM, is it correct that I have to change "airport" or terminal and go to the domestic one?
- do I have to get my bags after landing at BOM and then checking them in again at the domestic terminal for the HYD flight?
- what is the fastest and easiest route to do so?
- is there a priority checkin and security fast track for Business tickets?
- I will have 2x32Kgs bags (LH business allowance), is there any priority transport or something else? I don't know how I would be able to push 2 big bags and the carry-on through a crowded shuttle bus. Will I be able to load my bags on carts/trolleys up to the bus? will I find again carts/trolleys immediately when I step down the bus at the domestic terminal?
- am I going to face any problems when it comes to the 2 x 32Kgs bags in Business for the domestic BOM-HYD flight operated by Jet Lite / Jet Airways? Or will the LH business-class allowance be "honored"?
- on the return flight HYD-BOM, do I have to do all of the above in reverse order and getting my bags at BOM domestic arrivals, then getting from BOM domestic terminal into BOM international terminal and checking in my bags again, then security and so on?
- I have a business E-VISA. I understand I should go to a separate queue at the security?
- is HYD at least a "normal" airport without all of this hassle?

if you guys could reply for each question, that would be awesome.
thanks for helping a fellow traveler going through this airport.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by raffa
- after landing at BOM, is it correct that I have to change "airport" or terminal and go to the domestic one?
you have to change from international to domestic in the same terminal....

- do I have to get my bags after landing at BOM and then checking them in again at the domestic terminal for the HYD flight?
you have to clear immigration, collect your bags, clear customs & then proceed to the domestic side of the terminal where you will have to clear security & re-check your bags....

- what is the fastest and easiest route to do so?
when you clear customs, just follow the sign for domestic transfers....

- is there a priority checkin and security fast track for Business tickets?
yes, the first counter on the right side of the terminal is for priority check-in....also, there is a separate security line for business passengers....

- I will have 2x32Kgs bags (LH business allowance), is there any priority transport or something else? I don't know how I would be able to push 2 big bags and the carry-on through a crowded shuttle bus. Will I be able to load my bags on carts/trolleys up to the bus? will I find again carts/trolleys immediately when I step down the bus at the domestic terminal?
you don't have to take a bus....you just have to go up a couple of levels in the same building....

- am I going to face any problems when it comes to the 2 x 32Kgs bags in Business for the domestic BOM-HYD flight operated by Jet Lite / Jet Airways? Or will the LH business-class allowance be "honored"?
that all depends on your ticket & baggage allowance....if you are on one ticket then your international baggage allowance should apply....

- on the return flight HYD-BOM, do I have to do all of the above in reverse order and getting my bags at BOM domestic arrivals, then getting from BOM domestic terminal into BOM international terminal and checking in my bags again, then security and so on?
similar procedure in reverse to the one described above....

- I have a business E-VISA. I understand I should go to a separate queue at the security?
the visa lines are clearly marked so you won't have a problem here....

- is HYD at least a "normal" airport without all of this hassle?
as normal an airport as one would expect in a big city....
Old Jan 4, 2018, 12:50 am

thank you @Keyser this really helped.
I hope everything will go smoothly!

could you please tell me more about the baggage allowance? If the ticket is bought from Lufthansa and it says 2 x 32Kgs I guess it will be ok also for the last flight?

and what about the lounges? which one would you suggest and where is it located?
Old Jan 4, 2018, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
could you please tell me more about the baggage allowance? If the ticket is bought from Lufthansa and it says 2 x 32Kgs I guess it will be ok also for the last flight?
seems like you are on one ticket so your higher international baggage allowance should apply....

and what about the lounges? which one would you suggest and where is it located?
at hyd there is only one lounge which is the plaza premium lounge....pretty basic lounge good to kill an hour or so before the flight....at bom i'm not sure but i think you will have access to the gvk lounge which is nice & once again good for killing an hour or so before your flight....
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:07 pm

Programs: Delta
I read this thread and I have to admit that the whole BOM experience looks terrible and I'm scared now.
There is really nothing to worry about. The airport that you're going to (the "new" or renovated Mumbai international terminal) is actually quite well organized, with fairly good signage in English so that you shouldn't really be lost at any point. If you're uncertain at any point the many airport staff and airline staff around should be able to help you out. Also, the main thing to keep in mind is that although it's described as connecting from the international section to the domestic section of the airport, it is not a big distance or logistically difficult - it's just a short walk inside the airport building. It's only if you need to connect to a flight on some of the smaller domestic airlines that you need to figure out the bus ride to the other ("old") terminal.

Others have described the process in detail, but I'd just reiterate that you should follow the signs for domestic transfers after customs. Don't walk through on the main route which will take you to the exit from the airport. If you do inadvertently find yourself in the big lobby for exiting the airport, you'll have to either turn right around and ask to be let back in to connect to the domestic section (I have done this and the security person at the point of re-entry from the exit lobby let me back in without a question...) or -- less desirable -- you could walk on out of the airport and take a longer walk to re-enter the airport, and you'll have the hassle of having to wait in line and show your id and boarding passes again just to be allowed back in the building.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Bandicoot
Also, the main thing to keep in mind is that although it's described as connecting from the international section to the domestic section of the airport, it is not a big distance or logistically difficult - it's just a short walk inside the airport building. It's only if you need to connect to a flight on some of the smaller domestic airlines that you need to figure out the bus ride to the other ("old") terminal.
what do you mean exactly?
my flight is to Hyderabad, do you think it will depart from the same building?
or do they change it daily depending on flight traffic?
thank you for your suggestions
Old Jan 11, 2018, 7:34 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
It depends on the airline. GoAir, Indigo and SpiceJet still fly from the old domestic terminal on the opposite side of the airfield. I'm not sure the shuttle bus even exists anymore, but it's just a 10-15 minute drive (subject to traffic) from outside the international terminal, the problem is getting someone to take you for a fair price.

If your connection is in Jet Airways, Vistara or Air India it's from the new combined terminal.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 12:35 am

All UK, AI and 9W domestic flights depart from the same building as the international flights.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 9:26 pm

thanks for explaining! my booking reports a 9W jetlite/jetairways flight, so I should be good.
thank you
Old Jan 14, 2018, 6:00 pm

@raffa,
Please do let us know about your experience.
It should be an extremely easy transfer in a very modern airport.

TIP: When you exit the customs, look for overhead sign for transfer (basically make a left after getting your hand luggage x-rayed)
If for some rare reason those transfer desks are closed, staff (airline, airport, police, security, porter, even any fellow pax) will show you how to take elevator to the departure area

Compared to most European airports, Indian airports have some advantages to incoming first time foreigners. Even the "public" area on the landside is secured and open only to the authorized personnel or those ticketed to travel in the next few hours.

Since you have time, try to spend 5-10 minutes admiring the artwork "museum" outside GVK lounge - West.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.