Reload this Page >

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2016, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

PLEASE NOTE that CERTAIN DOMESTIC FLIGHTS OF Air India (#010-399 and 900-999) are ACTUALLY segments of INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT and hence for the following discussion should be considered INTL flights.

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal (T1) and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.
(For those not familiar with Santacruz Airport - CSIA - while both T1 and T2 uses same airfield and runaways, they are quite apart landside and can be 25-45 min by taxi depending on the traffic)

If first time in BOM then it is advisable to book connection with AI or Vistara to avoid this transfer between terminals.

INTL-to-INTL connections (suspended as of Jan 2022 due to COVID):

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain domestic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight (#010-399 and 900-999). When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tariffs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If you are travelling by Air India and your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight (currently applicable to certain AI flights only) then you would have already completed immigration process at your origin and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through immigration at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.

Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India, Jet Airways and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.

INTL-to-INTL connections:

NOTE: Air-India operates some domestic flight segments as extension of an oversees flight (Typically flight numbers <400 - Double check routing on AI website to confirm example: AI 144 EWR_BOM_DEL). They should be treated as INTL flights for immigration/rechek/customs purpose.

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain dometic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight such as EWR-BOM-AMD flight. When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight then you would have already completed emmigration (exit from India) process at your origination and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through emmigration process at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.
Print Wikipost

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2017, 3:38 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I would budget 15-60 minutes from deplaning to getting to your luggage. Just after you pick up your luggage you can check it with 9W just after customs in BOM T2. Then go upstairs and go thru security. Much less stress.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Regardless of which airline you choose you will need to collect your baggage and clear customs. For Jet Airways you can then re-check your bag after customs to the left, for Indigo I think you do need to travel to T1 with your luggage, but not sure of this. The transit to T1 is a pain and you will likely need to get a cab or something which they will charge you around Rs150-Rs200 for. It's ridiculous and annoying and for this reason I'd pick 9W if possible (you also get a meal onboard which you don't on Indigo).

Have you looked at paying for J on 9W? Then your free baggage allowance would be 30kg vs 15kg in Y, the cost of the additional fare might be less than the cost of the excess baggage travelling in Y.
I agree with respect to the luggage issue. Indigo and Jet are ready to collect every rupee for any excess luggage over 15kg per pax.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: AI Gold, TK Gold, QR Silver, 9W BluePlus
Mumbai tk connection

Coming in on TK720 official arrival time 4:40 AM in business and looking for onward flight to ccu. I believe my options are

9w 615 leaving 7:05 AM
9w 629 leaving 8:15 AM

If I understand correctly jet will charge roughly 9k for extra 30 k luggage

Another option would be 6e 6749 however from different terminal. Also international baggage excess charges 1.5k

Is there am indigo transfer check in counter in international arrival?
Is there bus transfer to ensure I reach the domestic terminal on time?
Which of the options would be better or any other suggestions?

Thanks
Old Jul 4, 2017, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Acid
Originally Posted by karter8
We'll be flying HYD-BOM-FRA-IAD with the first leg on AI and the rest on LH. Since it's a single PNR, I'm assuming bags will be checked all the way through, but what I was wondering if there will be any issues leaving and then reentering the airport at BOM? Our layover is about 16hr. Any tips on minimizing hassles?
There will be no issues leaving airport. As you arrive in BOM on a domestic flight - just head towards baggage claim/exit (bags will be checked through). You can return 3 hrs before your next flight(even if you have boarding pass - keep a printout or mobile copy of your ticket for re-entry into the terminal - head straight for security/immigration.
Thanks for everyone's responses so far. I've since learned that HYD-BOM is the domestic leg of an international flight. Does this change the calculus? If we're forced to clear immigration at HYD, I'm not sure we'll be able to leave and reenter at BOM (US passport, non-OCI/PIO). Can I ask the HYD check-in staff to process the first leg as domestic and if they do, will bags still be checked through? We're flying on an a *A award ticket obtained through UA but I don't know if itinerary changes are still possible at this point.

If you can't tell, I really want to avoid collecting bags and/or putting them in left luggage for the day
Old Jul 5, 2017, 12:20 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Didn't you ask the same thing in the other BOM transit thread?
Old Jul 5, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: AI Gold, TK Gold, QR Silver, 9W BluePlus
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Didn't you ask the same thing in the other BOM transit thread?
I thought I had posted and was searching for some reverts. Sorry for cross posting using my mobile missed the thread and reposted a day later.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 5:10 am

Business class lounge

In November, we should be arriving at BOM Terminal 2 on 9W 115 at 06:20. We are then connecting on to another Jet flight in the same terminal (to Kathmandu flight no: 9W 266 departing at 11:25). We are in Premiere class on both flights.

Jet's website says that lounge access is for 3 hours. Does that mean that, if we arrive in BOM on time, we cannot go into the business class lounge immediately? Or will they admit us in practice?

Also, there seem to be two lounges on level 4. Will we be allocated to one of them or can we choose either?

If we can choose, is there any advantage in one over the other (aside from whichever one is closer to our departure gate)?

Many thanks
Old Jul 17, 2017, 2:33 am

9W uses the MALS lounge, so they make the choice for you
Old Jul 17, 2017, 3:23 pm

Thanks, Oliver. Makes it simpler! Is that lounge on level 3 then?
Old Jul 25, 2017, 4:52 pm

INTL-to-INTL connection EY-9W

Hi, have read through the last few pages of this thread would just like to double check we will be ok transiting BOM airside without a Visa.

Travelling from AUH (EY 204 arriving @ 19:55) connecting to CMB (9W 256 departing @ 02:10)

All flights are issued on the same ticket, with the Etihad / Jet partnership through checking the bags shouldn't be a problem I hope!! will we have any problems with Etihad in AUH without an Indian visa?

Thanks
Old Jul 26, 2017, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by oxfordjames
Hi, have read through the last few pages of this thread would just like to double check we will be ok transiting BOM airside without a Visa.

Travelling from AUH (EY 204 arriving @ 19:55) connecting to CMB (9W 256 departing @ 02:10)

All flights are issued on the same ticket, with the Etihad / Jet partnership through checking the bags shouldn't be a problem I hope!! will we have any problems with Etihad in AUH without an Indian visa?

Thanks
no problem at all....you don't require a visa & your bags will be checked all the way to your final destination....
Old Jul 26, 2017, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Keyser
no problem at all....you don't require a visa & your bags will be checked all the way to your final destination....
Thank you for the confirmation
Old Jul 26, 2017, 5:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Thank you for the confirmation
Since you have a long transit - if you are without Lounge access and want to rest a bit - you can book the airside transit hotel

http://www.nirantahotels.com/niranta...sfers/Overview
Old Jul 27, 2017, 3:04 pm

Thanks Acid, Will have access to the First lounge so the time should go quick, looks a great option will keep it in mind for future.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Thanks Acid, Will have access to the First lounge so the time should go quick, looks a great option will keep it in mind for future.
That GVK lounge, yeah, you'd probably want more time there! ^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.