Reload this Page >

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2016, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

PLEASE NOTE that CERTAIN DOMESTIC FLIGHTS OF Air India (#010-399 and 900-999) are ACTUALLY segments of INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT and hence for the following discussion should be considered INTL flights.

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal (T1) and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.
(For those not familiar with Santacruz Airport - CSIA - while both T1 and T2 uses same airfield and runaways, they are quite apart landside and can be 25-45 min by taxi depending on the traffic)

If first time in BOM then it is advisable to book connection with AI or Vistara to avoid this transfer between terminals.

INTL-to-INTL connections (suspended as of Jan 2022 due to COVID):

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain domestic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight (#010-399 and 900-999). When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tariffs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If you are travelling by Air India and your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight (currently applicable to certain AI flights only) then you would have already completed immigration process at your origin and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through immigration at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.

Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India, Jet Airways and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.

INTL-to-INTL connections:

NOTE: Air-India operates some domestic flight segments as extension of an oversees flight (Typically flight numbers <400 - Double check routing on AI website to confirm example: AI 144 EWR_BOM_DEL). They should be treated as INTL flights for immigration/rechek/customs purpose.

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain dometic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight such as EWR-BOM-AMD flight. When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight then you would have already completed emmigration (exit from India) process at your origination and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through emmigration process at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.
Print Wikipost

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2017, 12:41 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb., Marriott Gold, FB Plat, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by hserus
I doubt etihad would allow you to board without an e visa / electronic travel authorization from the Indian authorities.
Thank you. I better buy an e-visa to avoid problems. How long would it take to transit?
Old Feb 7, 2017, 12:52 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Transit should not be a big issue. Just approach a EY/9W employee greeting the flight.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 3:58 pm

I've got 2 international connections each 25 hours in BOM 7 days apart from each other (one is a connection outbound to KUL and the other is the return from KUL)

Can I just apply for a transit VISA and use this to cover both connections? Should I pre-apply or simply apply on arrival?

I want to leave the airport and stay at a hotel, any recommendations for a nice hotel which will be an an area where I can have a bit of a wander?
Old Feb 15, 2017, 1:06 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

It depends if you plan to leave the transit concourse. Normally you don't need a visa if you stay airside. Transit visa may be more practical depending on what nationality you are...
Old Feb 15, 2017, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
It depends if you plan to leave the transit concourse. Normally you don't need a visa if you stay airside. Transit visa may be more practical depending on what nationality you are...
I'm a British passport holder.

I did contemplate a 1 hour connection but read that this could be a nightmare due to requiring paper tickets at BOM and if I missed a connection it would have huge consequences for other connecting flights.

With that in mind I'm planning on doing a quick tour of mumbai each time I stop over there so will need to leave the airport, but as I'm only there for 25 hours each time I'd like to do it on a transit visa if possible.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 2:02 pm

Transit visa for GB/UK citizens is expensive though... eta/evisa is cheaper, but only allows one trip in 60days.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 3:02 pm

Programs: *G
Transit visa for GB/UK citizens is expensive though... eta/evisa is cheaper, but only allows one trip in 60days.
Can you confirm if this also holds true for Danish citizens? I was planning to have a couple days in India on both sides of a trip to RUN (amazing prices with UU from MAA), but only found the limitations of two visits per year.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 3:27 pm

Transit VISA seems to be GBP60 which is acceptable.

Can I get one on arrival or should I apply in advance?
Old Feb 16, 2017, 8:03 am

Transit Visa for UK citizens needs to be applied for in advance.

ETA has some limitations which are the same for all countries, take a moment to read them...
Old Feb 17, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: *G
I had of course read the information about eTV, but didn't understand the 'one trip in 60 days'.
To be completely sure, I sent an email to the email listed on the website of eTV, to which they replied that there must just be 'a day gap' between exit and entry on a 2nd eTV, and it is even possible to apply for two eTVs the same day. :-)
Old Feb 27, 2017, 10:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
I will be on AI 102 DEL to BOM in economy that gets in at 7:20 pm (AI ticket) and then EY 203 at 9:35 pm in First. issued by American Airlines. I assume air India will refuse 2 check the bags all the way through so I will have to pick up the bags and then take them to the EY counter.

How is easy this connection?
Old Feb 28, 2017, 2:11 am

Hmm... tough one. 2h15m should be OK in general, but rather tight. I would contact EY in BOM and ask if they can meet you on arrival to expedite things.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 4:00 am

Hmm... tough one. 2h15m should be OK in general, but rather tight. I would contact EY in BOM and ask if they can meet you on arrival to expedite things.
Second that - if you were in Economy then i wouldnt recommend it. As you are in First - you can request EY to expediate your transfer.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 8:19 pm
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
Any thoughts on whether I can make this work?

9W 417 arriving 22:40
UA 49 departing 00:10

Both arrive/depart from T2, but I understand it's separate security for both. I will use a transfer service (Pranaam / GTK I guess). Possible, or absolutely hopeless?
Old Mar 1, 2017, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by glx
Any thoughts on whether I can make this work?

9W 417 arriving 22:40
UA 49 departing 00:10

Both arrive/depart from T2, but I understand it's separate security for both. I will use a transfer service (Pranaam / GTK I guess). Possible, or absolutely hopeless?
separate tickets or one through ticket????any checked-in bags????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.