Reload this Page >

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2016, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

PLEASE NOTE that CERTAIN DOMESTIC FLIGHTS OF Air India (#010-399 and 900-999) are ACTUALLY segments of INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT and hence for the following discussion should be considered INTL flights.

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal (T1) and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.
(For those not familiar with Santacruz Airport - CSIA - while both T1 and T2 uses same airfield and runaways, they are quite apart landside and can be 25-45 min by taxi depending on the traffic)

If first time in BOM then it is advisable to book connection with AI or Vistara to avoid this transfer between terminals.

INTL-to-INTL connections (suspended as of Jan 2022 due to COVID):

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain domestic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight (#010-399 and 900-999). When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tariffs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If you are travelling by Air India and your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight (currently applicable to certain AI flights only) then you would have already completed immigration process at your origin and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through immigration at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.

Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India, Jet Airways and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.

INTL-to-INTL connections:

NOTE: Air-India operates some domestic flight segments as extension of an oversees flight (Typically flight numbers <400 - Double check routing on AI website to confirm example: AI 144 EWR_BOM_DEL). They should be treated as INTL flights for immigration/rechek/customs purpose.

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain dometic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight such as EWR-BOM-AMD flight. When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight then you would have already completed emmigration (exit from India) process at your origination and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through emmigration process at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.
Print Wikipost

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2017, 2:26 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by desi
Trying to clarify "no need".

has it become optional or that nice option has been removed completely?

Transfer desk was a huge plus as you can get rid of luggage and be free until your flight. In fact, depending on layover length and time of day, can even get out of airport to meet friends/family.

Air India still has following info ("Transit desks are on Level2 and open 24x7") on its web site. (CSIA website still lacks useful info on most topics)
http://www.airindia.in/mumbai.htm

Jet airways still has following info ("Transfer desk are located before arrival hall. Turn left after customs")
http://www.jetairways.com/EN/US/trav...formation.aspx
AI doesn't have any transfer desk left of customs. You have to go upstairs.
Old May 22, 2017, 2:15 am

Transfer desk option DOES exist (make left after customs - pretty clear overhead sign)
I did not unfortunately checked ot which airlines have presence there.
Talking to custom guy, he said that transfer desk is your best bet especially if you have long layover as CISF jawan may not let you go up to departure if your flight is many hours away. However, I did not see any jawans manning lifts.

BTW, both prepaid taxi and private taxi (Meru, Gold, Tab) also have counters downstairs and usual have no lines. You need to go down for them anyway, Price of prepaid cool cab is twice that of Gold/Tab/Meru provided you are confident about roue. Mine Tab driver had to be controlled twice forcefully to not take longer routes.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold; Marriott Silver
Folks, confused with which Niranta Hotel do I need.
Travelling SFO-AUH-BOM with Etihad and continuing on to JET domestic after an overnight connection.

I understand that we would need to clear immigration and customs, but would I need to get to the landside and go through security again next morning?

I would prefer to stay inside and use time to catch up on sleep.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 3:02 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Niranta is technically landside. So no way around it. Security would be required in any case as you get into the bagagge area after immigration/customs.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold; Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Niranta is technically landside. So no way around it. Security would be required in any case as you get into the bagagge area after immigration/customs.
Thanks
Old Jun 16, 2017, 9:49 pm

Location: KUL (MY), ICN (KR), ZRH (CH) or OTP (RO) - or somewhere in between
Programs: OZ, JL
BOM T2 connection from MH to LX

Hi Guys,

I will be doing an international-to-international transit in BOM T2, switching from MH to LX (single ticket itinerary, issued by LX). I will be arriving at BOM at 22:25 (MH194 from KUL) and leaving BOM at 00:55 (LX155 to ZRH), so a 2h30m connection. I will check luggage at KUL, to my final destination.
From what I've read in the 33 pages of this thread, there should be no issues with this connection, other than me having to get my LX boarding pass at the BOM transfer desk, since I doubt MH will issue my LX boarding pass. Anything for me to worry about regarding this connection?
I have arrived and departed from BOM a few times before, but so far BOM has always been my destination/origin and have never transited here before.

Thanks for any input.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 1:08 pm

Nothing to worry about, just ask for a Swiss rep at the transfer desk after deplaning in BOM. Do not follow the crowds to immigration, but look for the transfer desk.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 3:58 pm

We'll be flying HYD-BOM-FRA-IAD with the first leg on AI and the rest on LH. Since it's a single PNR, I'm assuming bags will be checked all the way through, but what I was wondering if there will be any issues leaving and then reentering the airport at BOM? Our layover is about 16hr. Any tips on minimizing hassles?
Old Jun 18, 2017, 7:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by karter8
We'll be flying HYD-BOM-FRA-IAD with the first leg on AI and the rest on LH. Since it's a single PNR, I'm assuming bags will be checked all the way through, but what I was wondering if there will be any issues leaving and then reentering the airport at BOM? Our layover is about 16hr. Any tips on minimizing hassles?
There will be no issues leaving airport. As you arrive in BOM on a domestic flight - just head towards baggage claim/exit (bags will be checked through). You can return 3 hrs before your next flight(even if you have boarding pass - keep a printout or mobile copy of your ticket for re-entry into the terminal - head straight for security/immigration.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Safe ?

Originally Posted by Acid
There will be no issues leaving airport. As you arrive in BOM on a domestic flight - just head towards baggage claim/exit (bags will be checked through). You can return 3 hrs before your next flight(even if you have boarding pass - keep a printout or mobile copy of your ticket for re-entry into the terminal - head straight for security/immigration.
Would the bags be safe for 16 hours in Mumbai airport even in secure
area ? If it is not much, I would short check them to Mumbai and
recheck them back...
Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
is this correct?

Believe Niranta hotel at Mumbai has three sections

One is landside. A level below arrival (2 levels below departures)
Second one (used as overflow) is outside terminal but nearby
Third one is airside and used mainly for INTL-to-INTL transfers

Check out their FAQ (specifically two of the questions about Airside and how to find them and that immigration/customs are NOT required)

http://www.nirantahotels.com/niranta...ers/guestguide

However, this being India, things can change without any notice or any logical reasoning. So, it is best to tripple check. (If that involves calling hotel directly, it is best to call three times on different days at different time of the day.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:46 am

pmat2009 asked about a domestic connection, why would you want to confuse someone?
Old Jun 21, 2017, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by flyalways
Would the bags be safe for 16 hours in Mumbai airport even in secure
area ? If it is not much, I would short check them to Mumbai and
recheck them back...
Yes they should be safe like any other airport :-)
Old Jun 21, 2017, 4:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123
Yes they should be safe like any other airport :-)
Many airports including some in the US are not safe from baggage thefts. 16 hours is a long time....
Old Jun 21, 2017, 5:27 am

BOM T2 has a baggage handling system by Siemens that looks and works the same as the one in their showpiece facility in Munich T2. Your luggage will be in a yellow bin in the EBS hold area with no human access.

More info here: http://www.logistics-airports-soluti...-handling.aspx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.