Reload this Page >

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2016, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

PLEASE NOTE that CERTAIN DOMESTIC FLIGHTS OF Air India (#010-399 and 900-999) are ACTUALLY segments of INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT and hence for the following discussion should be considered INTL flights.

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal (T1) and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.
(For those not familiar with Santacruz Airport - CSIA - while both T1 and T2 uses same airfield and runaways, they are quite apart landside and can be 25-45 min by taxi depending on the traffic)

If first time in BOM then it is advisable to book connection with AI or Vistara to avoid this transfer between terminals.

INTL-to-INTL connections (suspended as of Jan 2022 due to COVID):

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain domestic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight (#010-399 and 900-999). When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tariffs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If you are travelling by Air India and your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight (currently applicable to certain AI flights only) then you would have already completed immigration process at your origin and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through immigration at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.

Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India, Jet Airways and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.

INTL-to-INTL connections:

NOTE: Air-India operates some domestic flight segments as extension of an oversees flight (Typically flight numbers <400 - Double check routing on AI website to confirm example: AI 144 EWR_BOM_DEL). They should be treated as INTL flights for immigration/rechek/customs purpose.

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain dometic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight such as EWR-BOM-AMD flight. When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight then you would have already completed emmigration (exit from India) process at your origination and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through emmigration process at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.
Print Wikipost

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2017, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by knit-in
Flying out of BOM in a month (on the Egypt Air business class deal to JFK). I will be in DEL and will fly out to BOM to take the 2:30am flight. I'd like to fly AI for their generous luggage allowance and to avoid changing terminals in BOM.

Would the AI 191 arriving BOM at 11:10pm be cutting it too close? AI191 is the DEL-BOM-EWR flight, and in my mind perhaps the least likely to be cancelled for operational reasons. Would it be foolish to depend on that and instead take an earlier flight, say the 7pm departure from DEL that arrives BOM at 9:15?

Edited to add: Any possibility of interlining between MS and AI on these two separate tickets?
looking forward to a review....i'm doing the same thing in may....from del-bom i've booked ai 805 that leaves del at 8pm & gets to bom at 10:25pm....traveling with kids & since ai won't interline, i figured 4 hours would be safe for the transit....
Old Mar 5, 2017, 7:53 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by flyalways
Hi there,

Here are latest Niranta rates I received...

4 hours for Twin room is INR 4500 , 7 Hours is INR 6000 and 24 hours is INR 9000.
(19% additional for taxes)

For daily rates I found good pricing on hotels.com as well.

Hope this helps...F.A.
I also called Niranta and got the same info for the 4hr (minimum) stay. However, the daily rate seems to be INR7499. I guess the INR9000 rate includes the 19% tax.

Originally Posted by ethanhunt123
Niranta hotel website does give you the option of hourly booking on the home page - below overnight stay.
Ok, finally found it, thanks for pointing it out. Earlier I was going to the reservation page directly from google and that doesn't give the option to do an hourly booking -

https://gc.synxis.com/rez.aspx?Hotel...161.1488671831

Though still not able to book as the page just keeps spinning after entering all the info. Will use email to make the booking.

Also called the GVK lounge to ask about what they refer to as "relaxation rooms" on their website, and it is just one small area in the F lounge with 4-5 reclining lounge chairs. There are no private nap-rooms there.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 12:39 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by flyalways
If time permits I would suggest leaving as much time between two
separate tickets as possible anywhere in the world. For India, you
need to be especially extra cautious because of operational issues
like you mentioned.

BOM has a very good lounge so you can spend some time there
if you have a few extra hours..

Good Luck..F.A.
Time is not an issue. I imagine the MS counters will be open four hours prior to flight time, so I can check in early. Shall enjoy a few drinks in the lounge then, since there won't be any alcohol service on board

I used to fly DEL-BOM quite regularly a few years ago to catch the 1:40am Delta departure out of BOM. Never did it in the new terminal. Options on the ground were abysmal in the old terminal so my attempt would always be to avoid spending much time there.

Originally Posted by oliver2002
AI will not interline your luggage to the separate MS ticket. 2-3h transit on separate ticket in BOM should be easy.
Thanks for that information.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by Keyser
looking forward to a review....i'm doing the same thing in may....from del-bom i've booked ai 805 that leaves del at 8pm & gets to bom at 10:25pm....traveling with kids & since ai won't interline, i figured 4 hours would be safe for the transit....
I'm quite looking forward to the ride too. Shall post my experience.

I am contemplating between the 7pm and 8pm departure. Might just pick the 7pm so to avoid the late afternoon traffic out of Gurgaon. Usually give myself an hour and a half for domestic departure at DEL airport.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 12:24 am

Programs: Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tomcat007
I will be on AI 102 DEL to BOM in economy that gets in at 7:20 pm (AI ticket) and then EY 203 at 9:35 pm in First. issued by American Airlines. I assume air India will refuse 2 check the bags all the way through so I will have to pick up the bags and then take them to the EY counter.

How is easy this connection?
I observed for a week and this flight is regularly delayed by 30 minutes making this connection dicey.

I've noticed many DEL-BOM AI flights are international add ons. Do people prefer these wide bodies or the A321 that is like a shuttle?
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:55 am

Mumbai airport (BOM) transfer

I plan to book Air India tickets to fly from EWR-BOM-COK in August.
All flights are Air India flights.

My question is regarding the transfer at BOM (I haven't used BOM in many years).

- Since it is transfer from International to Domestic flight do you have to get the checked in luggage at BOM during customs processing or is your luggage directly moved to COK flight.
- Also on my return trip do I have to do the same when I go back (checked in luggage issue at BOM).
- Is a transfer time between flights of 3hrs sufficient.
- At BOM how do you move from the international terminal & domestic terminal. In the old days I remember taking a bus to get to the domestic terminal.

Can someone please advise.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by eaglesfan9770
I plan to book Air India tickets to fly from EWR-BOM-COK in August.
All flights are Air India flights.

My question is regarding the transfer at BOM (I haven't used BOM in many years).

- Since it is transfer from International to Domestic flight do you have to get the checked in luggage at BOM during customs processing or is your luggage directly moved to COK flight.
- Also on my return trip do I have to do the same when I go back (checked in luggage issue at BOM).
- Is a transfer time between flights of 3hrs sufficient.
- At BOM how do you move from the international terminal & domestic terminal. In the old days I remember taking a bus to get to the domestic terminal.

Can someone please advise.
Hello and welcome to Flyertalk!

I won't be able to address your first two questions, although my best guess is that you have to pass immigration and customs at your port of entry into the country and then recheck bags.

With regards to the transfer time, three hours would ordinarily be sufficient. Add to that you are flying AI all the way, so in case of irrops, the airline should take care of you.

When flying Air India, Jet and Vistara, you fly in and out of the new Terminal 2, and hence you don't even have to exit the terminal to connect to/ from your domestic/ international connection. The connection, from at least Air India that I have personally experienced, is quite seamless. No busses required.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 7:17 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
On the way to COK you will have to collect bags and pass thru immigration in BOM since AI681 BOM COK is a domestic flight.

On the way back you don't have to do anything, as immigration will take place in COK since AI55 is an international flight.

Code:
TNEWRCOK/XBOM/AAI                                                               
** AMADEUS TIMETABLE - TN ** COK KOCHI.IN                      07APR17 14APR17  
 1   AI 144  D    EWR B BOM 2  1415    1430+1 0 CONNECT BOM     77W             
     AI 681  D    BOM 2 COK D  1715+1  1915+1 0 02APR17 28OCT17 321 19:30       

TNCOKEWR/XBOM/AAI                                                               
** AMADEUS TIMETABLE - TN ** EWR NEWARK LIBERTY.USNJ           07APR17 14APR17  
 1   AI 055  D    COK I BOM 2  2010    2210   0 CONNECT BOM     321             
     AI 191  D    BOM 2 EWR B  0130+1  0755+1 0 07APR17 28OCT17 77W 21:15
Old Apr 12, 2017, 6:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President Circle
I'm arriving into BOM on QR556 at 02:40 and hope to catch the AI17 at 05:30 (2hr50 connection). On the return I'm planning on taking AI92 arriving into BOM at 20:40 to connect to CX660 departing at 01:05 (4h25 connection). All on separate tickets.

I have luggage which I will store at the left luggage and travel on AI with hand baggage only. I'm in J on the QR and CX flights but economy for AI. I'm not familiar with the fast track availability, location of left luggage and general busyness of T2 at these times, so can someone advise on how ambitious this plan is?

Missing the BOM-AMD would not be the end of the world as I could find another way easily but I wouldn't like to no show for my CX connection which takes me all the way to Japan.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 8:54 am

Programs: Blasé..
Originally Posted by s1362083
I'm arriving into BOM on QR556 at 02:40 and hope to catch the AI17 at 05:30 (2hr50 connection). On the return I'm planning on taking AI92 arriving into BOM at 20:40 to connect to CX660 departing at 01:05 (4h25 connection). All on separate tickets.

I have luggage which I will store at the left luggage and travel on AI with hand baggage only. I'm in J on the QR and CX flights but economy for AI. I'm not familiar with the fast track availability, location of left luggage and general busyness of T2 at these times, so can someone advise on how ambitious this plan is?

Missing the BOM-AMD would not be the end of the world as I could find another way easily but I wouldn't like to no show for my CX connection which takes me all the way to Japan.
Although lately AI92 OTP is more or less OK but still to avoid any rush I would consider 9W605 too!! Although both are more or less similar!

Just for you to note AI operates from International Terminal T2 in AMD!!
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:57 pm

Experience with Travel Club lounge in BOM?

Hello, first timer on FT, but have been long time visitor. Please go easy on me.

I'm traveling BOS>LHR>BOM 4/21 on BA. I have approx 4-5 hrs layover in BOM before taking AI to GOI. I'm looking to take advantage of one of the lounges, Travel Club (Level 3, opposite Gate 44) to unwind.

Anyone have experience with visiting this lounge? What did you like (and not like) about this?

Note that I plan to gain lounge access via purchasing a Lounge Pass from https://www.loungepass.com/

Thanks!
Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:29 pm

Can't comment on Travel Club but I spent some time in the GVK lounge on Terminal 2 in BOM.. one of the best lounges (and terminals). Wow, very impressed. Food, space, ambience, felt spacious and big, very clean, too
Old Apr 22, 2017, 5:06 pm

Transit via BOM - baggage take out?

As a confused infrequent traveller please bear with me if this question has been asked. I would appreciate any information or replies re. the following. I am flying GRU (Sao Paulo) to ADD (Addis Ababa)to BOM and to BLR via Ethiopian Airlines. Reaching BOM in the morning and have the first available flight to BLR via Air India the same evening. All on one ticket. In fact Ethiopian has a code share with Air India from Addis to Bom. My question is do I request the airlines to book my luggage to BOM and do immigration and customs there and then I re-book to BLR? Or would the airlines book the luggage straight to BLR. As the BOM BLR sector is domestic, if booked straight to BLR then how do I clear immigration and customs in BLR? Thank you for any input or advice.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by lovetotravel123
As a confused infrequent traveller please bear with me if this question has been asked. I would appreciate any information or replies re. the following. I am flying GRU (Sao Paulo) to ADD (Addis Ababa)to BOM and to BLR via Ethiopian Airlines. Reaching BOM in the morning and have the first available flight to BLR via Air India the same evening. All on one ticket. In fact Ethiopian has a code share with Air India from Addis to Bom. My question is do I request the airlines to book my luggage to BOM and do immigration and customs there and then I re-book to BLR? Or would the airlines book the luggage straight to BLR. As the BOM BLR sector is domestic, if booked straight to BLR then how do I clear immigration and customs in BLR? Thank you for any input or advice.
Lets see if wiki helps us.
Wish you had mention your AI flight number

is yor AI flight an international flight with bom-blr being a dometic segment on it?
Most likely anser is NO.
So you will have to do immigration in BOM (Enter India, collect bags, do custom and check-in your bags with Air India transfer desk)

Most probably, Air India transfer desk will be open and will take your bags. Otherwise you will be stuck with it until check-in for domestic flight opens 3 hours before departure.

Since you have a single ticket with AI codeshare incoming and actual AI outgoing, you will not have to worry about tiny domestic baggage allowance. Your baggage allowance at departure in brazil should be honored.

You have not mentioned class of travel either.
If it is ecomy, then after such a long flight you may want to rest either at Niranta Hotel within airport or much better 5 star hotels close to airport.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 12:18 pm

Thank you so much desi for taking the trouble to reply. I have carefully noted all the information you have given me and it is most useful. I have understood the transfer process and what to expect.

My flight ADD to BOM is ET 640 which I understand is a code share with AI, and the onward journey BOM to BLR is AI 607. All one tkt issued by the travel agent. I wonder if I will be able to use the lounge for the long break in BOM - about nine hours between transfers. I have a biz class ticket all the way including the domestic sector, but dont know if relaxing in the lounge will be allowed for nine hours or there is a time limit. If not allowed I will try the Niranta or other airport hotels. Thank you again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.