Reload this Page >

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2016, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

PLEASE NOTE that CERTAIN DOMESTIC FLIGHTS OF Air India (#010-399 and 900-999) are ACTUALLY segments of INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT and hence for the following discussion should be considered INTL flights.

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal (T1) and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.
(For those not familiar with Santacruz Airport - CSIA - while both T1 and T2 uses same airfield and runaways, they are quite apart landside and can be 25-45 min by taxi depending on the traffic)

If first time in BOM then it is advisable to book connection with AI or Vistara to avoid this transfer between terminals.

INTL-to-INTL connections (suspended as of Jan 2022 due to COVID):

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain domestic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight (#010-399 and 900-999). When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tariffs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If you are travelling by Air India and your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight (currently applicable to certain AI flights only) then you would have already completed immigration process at your origin and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through immigration at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.

Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India, Jet Airways and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.

INTL-to-INTL connections:

NOTE: Air-India operates some domestic flight segments as extension of an oversees flight (Typically flight numbers <400 - Double check routing on AI website to confirm example: AI 144 EWR_BOM_DEL). They should be treated as INTL flights for immigration/rechek/customs purpose.

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain dometic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight such as EWR-BOM-AMD flight. When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight then you would have already completed emmigration (exit from India) process at your origination and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through emmigration process at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.
Print Wikipost

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2018, 6:11 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Should be no problem, look for the transfer counter the moment you deplane. Don't follow the crowds. The transfer counter will issue/validate the BA boarding pass and point you to transfer security.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by IncyWincy
Would appreciate some help.

May be travelling HKG-BOM (CX J) arriving at 11.55 pm and transferring to BOM-LHR (BA J) which departs at 1.45 am. Have 1 hour and 50 minutes and CX said MCT is 1hour.

Am I right that there is no need to clear immigration and no visa required?

Also, do CX and BA use the same or different terminals?

Is 1 hour and 50 min in this situation realistic?

Any tips on what to do and expect?

Thank you very much.
The transfer desks are just before the Immigration hall. No need to clear immigration. Transfer desk will validate boarding pass and hopefully provide the lounge invite. If you don't get a lounge invite - head to GVK Lounge (they can page BA staff to come and authorize your entry). You have more than enough time to connect (its the same terminal)
Old Feb 13, 2018, 2:48 am

Programs: UA 1K
Hello BOM connection experts,

I'm traveling HYD-BOM-SIN, making a domestic to international connection from 9W452 to SQ423 with a scheduled 3.5 hours in BOM (arrive 8:00PM, depart 11:30PM). While I'd typically be comfortable with this, it looks like recent flights have had a poor on-time arrival record (many leaving HYD late and spending 2 hours in the air holding outside of BOM instead of 1.25 hours), so I'm trying to form a solid back up plan (I have an onward connection to catch in SIN). All of my flights are on a single ticket (issued by UA). Here's what I'm wondering:
  1. What's the absolute latest that I can arrive in BOM and still make my interline connection? I'm thinking that if I'm off the plane in BOM by 10:00PM, I can probably catch my flight, and any later and I risk being rejected at the SQ check in counter (I'm not sure if I'll be able to print my SQ boarding pass in advance, but I'm going to try).
  2. If I'm delayed leaving HYD, at what time should I start trying to get rebooked on the nonstop MI HYD-SIN flight? My concern about an attempt to take this approach is that 9W may not update the delayed departure time leaving HYD early (and often) enough to know that I'm going to misconnect before I get on the plane in HYD.
  3. If I follow the signs to international transfers at BOM, will I get dumped out into the main check in hall upstairs, or is there a transfer desk somewhere that I haven't noticed before?
  4. If I arrive BOM too late to make my scheduled SQ flight, there's a 9W flight to SIN around 1:15AM that would give me a 20 minute connection in SIN, so I'd probably need to rebook my onward flight from SIN as well. Should I cut the middleman and get on the phone with UA as soon as I land in BOM to sort this out, or am I stuck working with 9W once I misconnect? If so, is the 9W check in desk (upstairs after passing through domestic baggage claim) the correct place to go?
Thanks in advance for the help!
Old Feb 13, 2018, 5:34 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by aindfan
Hello BOM connection experts,

I'm traveling HYD-BOM-SIN, making a domestic to international connection from 9W452 to SQ423 with a scheduled 3.5 hours in BOM (arrive 8:00PM, depart 11:30PM). While I'd typically be comfortable with this, it looks like recent flights have had a poor on-time arrival record (many leaving HYD late and spending 2 hours in the air holding outside of BOM instead of 1.25 hours), so I'm trying to form a solid back up plan (I have an onward connection to catch in SIN). All of my flights are on a single ticket (issued by UA). Here's what I'm wondering:
  1. What's the absolute latest that I can arrive in BOM and still make my interline connection? I'm thinking that if I'm off the plane in BOM by 10:00PM, I can probably catch my flight, and any later and I risk being rejected at the SQ check in counter (I'm not sure if I'll be able to print my SQ boarding pass in advance, but I'm going to try).
  2. If I'm delayed leaving HYD, at what time should I start trying to get rebooked on the nonstop MI HYD-SIN flight? My concern about an attempt to take this approach is that 9W may not update the delayed departure time leaving HYD early (and often) enough to know that I'm going to misconnect before I get on the plane in HYD.
  3. If I follow the signs to international transfers at BOM, will I get dumped out into the main check in hall upstairs, or is there a transfer desk somewhere that I haven't noticed before?
  4. If I arrive BOM too late to make my scheduled SQ flight, there's a 9W flight to SIN around 1:15AM that would give me a 20 minute connection in SIN, so I'd probably need to rebook my onward flight from SIN as well. Should I cut the middleman and get on the phone with UA as soon as I land in BOM to sort this out, or am I stuck working with 9W once I misconnect? If so, is the 9W check in desk (upstairs after passing through domestic baggage claim) the correct place to go?
Thanks in advance for the help!
1. Check-in closes 60 minutes prior usually, check what the SQ cut-off is. If you're on one ticket you should get onward BP in HYD
2. Monitor the delay, I've had a missed connection in BOM due to delay in HYD and still at check-in in HYD requested rebooking on 9W to AUH then EY to JNB then CPT (original ticket was 9W to BOM, then SA to JNB then CPT). 9W will probably suggest going a day later, have alternative routing available and be polite but forceful
3. can't help sorry
4. You didn't mention any onward on UA initially, is this still on one ticket? if so and delay is evident at HYD ask 9W to reroute to final destination, also look at alternate flights to SIN with 9W + SQ via DEL, MAA, CCU, BLR, etc and have those options available
Old Feb 13, 2018, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
4. You didn't mention any onward on UA initially, is this still on one ticket? if so and delay is evident at HYD ask 9W to reroute to final destination, also look at alternate flights to SIN with 9W + SQ via DEL, MAA, CCU, BLR, etc and have those options available
Thanks for the reply! Sorry, I should have clarified, the entire itinerary is HYD-BOM-SIN-USA (on 9W, SQ, and UA, respectively), all on one ticket (yes, I'm going the long way).
Old Feb 13, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by aindfan
Thanks for the reply! Sorry, I should have clarified, the entire itinerary is HYD-BOM-SIN-USA (on 9W, SQ, and UA, respectively), all on one ticket (yes, I'm going the long way).
So rebooking on a 9W flight to Europe or direct to US then onwards on UA or another *A carrier would also be an option. I think 9W flies to JFK?
Old Feb 14, 2018, 6:04 pm

A quick follow-up: I ended up arriving in BOM at 9:05PM at a bus gate, giving me plenty of time (2.5 hours) to make my connection. The bus dropped us off at the domestic arrivals area at ground level on the west side of T2, and from there the escalator takes you up to the fork in the road: if you have checked bags, turn left to enter domestic baggage claim, and if not, go straight, show the security guard your onward ticket (same deal as entering the check in hall from outside, and I'm happy to say that an email on my phone was accepted) and take a super long escalator that dumps you out at the western edge of the main check in hall. I don't think there was a shortcut from domestic arrivals to international departures like there is in Delhi T3 (in Delhi, there's a path to clear immigration as a transfer customer on the domestic arrivals level instead of going all the way out to check in), or at least I wasn't offered one, but it was convenient to not have to snake through baggage claim and go almost all the way outside just to get three floors up if I didn't have a checked bag to claim.

Once in the check-in hall, I followed the normal international departing passenger flow. SQ, LH, and LX seem to share a secluded business/first check in area A with a shortcut to business/first class security and immigration.

9W was unable to issue my SQ boarding pass in HYD (I asked at the check in desk, and the agent seemed to try, but he wasn't able to). I don't recall if my 9W PNR had my onward flights on it (they didn't make it particularly easy to check my PNR online given the ticket issued by UA).

Thanks again for the replies! I hope this helps future travelers, and I'm glad I don't have any tips on 9W's IRROPS handling to share this time around. There's always next time, though.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 5:40 pm

Quick question, is 1hr 40 min connection time ok IN BOM for INT to INT transfer (SIN-BOM-USA)? Google flights website shows SQ flight to BOM get's delayed often for 30+min. Will be in business class all the way with only carry on. Also have multiple entry visas for India just in case.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 2:16 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

It really depends who you are connecting to. United will close their transfer desk an hour before departure...
Old Feb 26, 2018, 3:50 am

Thanks Oliver, it's UA. What if it's on AC? What if I have already checked-in and have boarding pass on my phone?
Old Feb 26, 2018, 6:03 am

No mobile boarding passes available ex India, you need to have a paper boarding pass issued by an ailrine or an online boarding pass validated by the operating airline. If you are transiting the validation is done at the transfer desk. I wouldn't do 1h40min on separate tickets.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 3:59 am

Thanks again.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 7:19 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, AA Plat
I am thinking about booking an award ticket into BOM with ET arriving at 7 am and then a separate revenue ticket to SIN with SQ departing BOM at 11pm on the same day. I understand there's an airside transit hotel, but my question is whether ET will check my bags all the way to SIN, despite being on separate tickets. If not, what is the price of the transit visa for US citizens? I am getting conflicting info on this. Thanks!
Old Mar 5, 2018, 1:14 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
Unlikely that ET will check your bags through.

Here's the visa you need, fee is $75 - https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/evisa/tvoa.html and here's info on the transit hotel - Mumbai Airport Hotels ? Niranta Transit Hotel & Lounge

I'd recommend you book the landside hotel since you won't be able to check in and clear immigration until about 3-4 hours before your SQ flight.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 5:30 am

Or contact Niranta and/or GVK Pranaam arrival services with your situation and ask if they can do something for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.