Reload this Page >

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2016, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

PLEASE NOTE that CERTAIN DOMESTIC FLIGHTS OF Air India (#010-399 and 900-999) are ACTUALLY segments of INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT and hence for the following discussion should be considered INTL flights.

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal (T1) and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.
(For those not familiar with Santacruz Airport - CSIA - while both T1 and T2 uses same airfield and runaways, they are quite apart landside and can be 25-45 min by taxi depending on the traffic)

If first time in BOM then it is advisable to book connection with AI or Vistara to avoid this transfer between terminals.

INTL-to-INTL connections (suspended as of Jan 2022 due to COVID):

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain domestic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight (#010-399 and 900-999). When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tariffs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If you are travelling by Air India and your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight (currently applicable to certain AI flights only) then you would have already completed immigration process at your origin and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through immigration at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.

Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India, Jet Airways and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.

INTL-to-INTL connections:

NOTE: Air-India operates some domestic flight segments as extension of an oversees flight (Typically flight numbers <400 - Double check routing on AI website to confirm example: AI 144 EWR_BOM_DEL). They should be treated as INTL flights for immigration/rechek/customs purpose.

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain dometic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight such as EWR-BOM-AMD flight. When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight then you would have already completed emmigration (exit from India) process at your origination and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through emmigration process at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.
Print Wikipost

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2018, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by mml2018
Thank you to all those who had responded with their valuable inputs.

Couple of clarifications- I’ve bought this as one way ticket, so there is no onward/return journey on the same ticket and I will not have any checked in luggage.

It sounds like I may be able to get around immigration issue, that is if I’m able to get to that point.
AI customer service told me that passengers continuing their journey will wait in ‘transit lounge’ at BOM, don’t know if I will be forced to stay there by airline personnel.

"No, you cannot clear customs and immigration at BOM, you will remain ‘airside’. ">> Do they separate passengers exiting at BOM vs going to DEL? Will DEL passengers be forced to stay in transit lounge?

Thanks again.
You should be able to clear immigration at BOM airport. AI will have their staff asking people with onward connections to follow the transit route, you do not have to follow them. They do not force anything.
Old May 17, 2018, 5:13 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
The important difference to note here is that you have bought AI144 as a single ticket to DEL. AI operates certain flights which include domestic segments as a single international flight and hence you will only clear immigration at your final destination.

Additionally if they simply let pax "walk out" of a flight in between segments, that's a huge security risk. This has nothing to do with Indian airports and CISF.
Originally Posted by mml2018
Do they separate passengers exiting at BOM vs going to DEL? Will DEL passengers be forced to stay in transit lounge?
Yes they do separate them upon arrival.
Old May 17, 2018, 5:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Anish
The important difference to note here is that you have bought AI144 as a single ticket to DEL. AI operates certain flights which include domestic segments as a single international flight and hence you will only clear immigration at your final destination.

Additionally if they simply let pax "walk out" of a flight in between segments, that's a huge security risk. This has nothing to do with Indian airports and CISF.

Yes they do separate them upon arrival.
Curious if OP's BP will be EWR-DEL or EWR-BOM + BOM-DEL ? With EWR-DEL BP, I think he will not
be able to exit immigration without raising some questions ! and I think from security perspectives, they
should be raised...

Last edited by flyalways; May 17, 2018 at 6:08 am
Old May 17, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by flyalways
Curious if OP's BP will be EWR-DEL or EWR-BOM + BOM-DEL ? With EWR-DEL BP, I think he will not
be able to exit immigration without raising some questions ! and I think from security perspectives, they
should be raised...
The same equipment flies the BOM-DEL leg. I believe it's the same BP all the way from EWR.

With separate BPs, I don't see why there would be a problem clearing immigration in BOM.
Old May 19, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: Blasé..
Have done it once when AI144 used to go to AMD and not DEL - Had BP from EWR till AMD, had a family emergency in BOM and upon landing had to get out! I just went normally through the Immigration and nobody asked for my BP! It should be doable as long as you do not complicate things! Just follow the exit directions and DO NOT give ur BP at immigration counter (if it has DEL as final destination) - I wd also suggest to go in the crowded line so the only thing Immi.Officer wd ask wd be "Which Flight?" - Do report back in-case you do this! Thanks!
Old May 19, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by Bioflyer
Have done it once when AI144 used to go to AMD and not DEL - Had BP from EWR till AMD, had a family emergency in BOM and upon landing had to get out! I just went normally through the Immigration and nobody asked for my BP! It should be doable as long as you do not complicate things! Just follow the exit directions and DO NOT give ur BP at immigration counter (if it has DEL as final destination) - I wd also suggest to go in the crowded line so the only thing Immi.Officer wd ask wd be "Which Flight?" - Do report back in-case you do this! Thanks!
I didn't know you could avoid showing your BP at immigration. They always ask for it.
Old May 19, 2018, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
I didn't know you could avoid showing your BP at immigration. They always ask for it.
Also what happens if you are asked to produce the BP and get caught
abandoning the flight ? It may not be an Immigration offense but AI may
ban you from future flights or recover money/miles for the recalculated
ticket pricing ! OP needs to weigh in risk and reward for each option...
Just my $.02 !
Old May 21, 2018, 5:35 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
AI has to tell the BoI which pax are immigrating in BOM by uploading a manifest. The BoI officer processing you has to find your details in his system to match the data on your passport. I once had to wait at the counter because my flight had landed in BOM too early and the system had not updated yet. Systems are rapidly evolving nowadays...
Old May 21, 2018, 3:27 pm

I am flying from EWR to AMD below is my flight schedule

EWR - BOM - AI 144 leaving on 06/14/2018 2:00 pm and arriving on 06/15/2018 2:15 pm
-----------------12 hrs layover-----------------
BOM - AMD - AI 031 leaving on 06/16/2018 1:30 am and arriving on 06/16/2018 2:50 am

So where will immigration and custom will be done at Mumbai or Ahmedabad airport ?
How it will work and any good lounge at Mumbai airport?
Any experience over 11 hrs layover at Mumbai airport.

How this flight will be treated as INTL to INTL or INTL to DOM ?
Old May 22, 2018, 6:05 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
Immigration and customs will be processed in Mumbai. The Niranta airport hotel is very convenient for such a layover.
Old May 22, 2018, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by mtldesai809

EWR - BOM - AI 144 leaving on 06/14/2018 2:00 pm and arriving on 06/15/2018 2:15 pm
BOM - AMD - AI 031 leaving on 06/16/2018 1:30 am and arriving on 06/16/2018 2:50 am

So where will immigration and custom will be done at Mumbai or Ahmedabad airport ?

To be safe...it may be a good idea to short check luggage to BOM. Stay in near airport hotel
and recheck for AMD flight. As I have experienced before there was lot of confusion
at BOM for some of these destinations where there is no consistency of process and
remote AI staff does not guide you well...
Old May 23, 2018, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by mtldesai809

These are both intl flights. On Air India website, look at airport information link. Specifically chose Mumbai airport.
Check-in times are different for true domestic flights and that for domestic stub of international flight.

Since 031 from BOM to AMD actually continues onwards to LHR (although as different flight numer), it is designated as international flight.
So technically, you are doing an INTL-to-INTL transfer.
But given that this is India and only thing consistent in India is that everything is inconsistent, it is best to short-check your luggage to BOM (double check that EWR agent does that) On landing in BOM, ignore any calls for transit pax and simply follow the crowd to immigration/customs. You shud not have any issues.
Now the fun begins.
1) Most likely transfer desks at arrival level (make left after customs) are open. Hand over bags to them and make sure to collect BOM_AMD BP. Then you are free to roam BOM and arrive at airport 3 hours before your flight time WITH printed BP.
2) If for some reason those arrival level transfer desks are closed, you will have to take lift to departure level (under no circumstances leave the airport building yet), hopefully, desks will take your bags and give you BP (rest same as above)
3) In rare case if neither of the above work then you are stuck with your bags during layover and NIranta airport hotel is your best bet
4) You can of course leave airport with bags and return later but that is unnecessarily painful.

95% probability that you will be fine with case 1 above. (Friends have done this successfully many times to finish off courtsey visit to in-laws in BOM and avoid having to make roundtrip to AMD to BOM during short 2-3 week visit to India)

Your dates (mid-June) can coincide with season's first heavy monsoon storm, so case 4 should be avoided. (and leave plenty of buffer if you do leave airport even with just hand luggage)
Old May 23, 2018, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by desi
If for some reason those arrival level transfer desks are closed, you will have to take lift to departure level (under no circumstances leave the airport building yet), hopefully, desks will take your bags and give you BP (rest same as above)
Once you enter departure level you cannot simply walk out. The airline needs to provide a written reason to CISF and they will also make sure you take your bags out with you.

If both flights are on the same ticket, OP will receive his BOM-AMD boarding pass in EWR itself and bags can also be tagged through. No reason to short check them and confuse things.
Old May 23, 2018, 9:20 am
formerly gantid

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Platinum, Marriott Platinum elite, *G, Hilton Gold
I have FRA-BOM landing @0100 (on J). Will I be able to make a 0305 Jet (separate PNR) to BLR? or is it safer to get a later flight? In the past I would land before midnight and there was no issue in getting thru immigration/customs/bag pickup-recheck. I see that Oliver indicated that it is quite chaotic from 0100-0400 at the immigration counters.
Old May 23, 2018, 9:57 am

IMHO a transfer on separate tickets with baggage in BOM will take a minimum of 3 hours to be safe. Apart from queues at immigration and customs, flights in BOM are also severely delayed because of ILS maintenance and general traffic congestion which means you may miss your BLR check-in cutoff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.