Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Jet and the Star Alliance. Will they / Won't they?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jet and the Star Alliance. Will they / Won't they?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2012, 2:21 am

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Still waiting to hear your explanation on OW/ST/*A being "locked out" of the Indian Market btw...
Old Aug 2, 2012, 3:31 am
A2A

Programs: AA, BASilver, TajICGold, MarriottPlatinum,HyattGlobalist, EYGold, AI
Originally Posted by jasepl

Really? Now a mainstream article is perfectly trustworthy?

And in any event, no. Simply going by what AI said or, worse, what a bureaucrat said is being incredibly naïve.

Star Alliance gave Air India the finger because they were fed up of waiting.

And before anyone bursts into a combination of protests, conspiracy theories, finger-pointing and naively believing all that a government official spouts out, Star's decision was perfectly justified.

Star invited Air India to join, yes, but subject to certain criteria, certainly. Which, I presume, included Air India getting their act together by a certain date or within a "reasonable" time. Neither of which AI did. Four years is unacceptable from any angle, regardless of the reason or excuse.

We don't know for sure what exactly each of those reasons these airlines had for not wanting AI anymore. I doubt it's because Air India were crap (or Jet were less crap), because that's not a new finding, and Star have their fair share of crap airlines. I suspect it's because they concluded that enough is enough.

When AI moved at such a glacial pace for alliance entry - and everything else, really - one can't blame Star members if they're worried about a future with AI. Air India's hopelessness has a rather minimal impact on the alliance now; if they were to become a member, and continued behaving the same way (a perfectly fair expectation), the impact could be significant.

Shut the damn thing down immediately and put the exchequer out of its misery.
My views exactly except you got them here before me. I hope PVDtoDEL has his answers. To add, *A did not throw AI out, the CEO board of the member airlines of *A voted against AI being in *A, that means about 2 dozen seasoned aviation professionals were on the table who run airlines bigger or smaller than AI.

http://www.staralliance.com/en/press/starairindia-prp/

as for shutting down the damn thing, yes, shut it down or send me revenue tickets in line with the amount of taxes I pay which gets sent to the airline as dole.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 5:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SQ421
Still waiting to hear your explanation on OW/ST/*A being "locked out" of the Indian Market btw...
It's not that they are prevented from flying to India but the don't have benefits of having an Indian carrier in the alliance if they c=don't have an Indian member.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
AI is more or less compliant with alliance requirements.
Clearly, AI is not compliant or they would have joined *A last year.

*A walked away from AI because they wanted 9W. This is a commentary on the perceived importance of AI in relation to 9W, not of Indian carriers in general.
I'm not buying this. *A doesn't seem that dumb to me. I think the reason you provided was the official reason given just so AI could save face and not admit that it did not meet alliance requirements.

Star Alliance gave Air India the finger because they were fed up of waiting.

And before anyone bursts into a combination of protests, conspiracy theories, finger-pointing and naively believing all that a government official spouts out, Star's decision was perfectly justified.

Star invited Air India to join, yes, but subject to certain criteria, certainly. Which, I presume, included Air India getting their act together by a certain date or within a "reasonable" time. Neither of which AI did. Four years is unacceptable from any angle, regardless of the reason or excuse.

We don't know for sure what exactly each of those reasons these airlines had for not wanting AI anymore. I doubt it's because Air India were crap (or Jet were less crap), because that's not a new finding, and Star have their fair share of crap airlines. I suspect it's because they concluded that enough is enough.

When AI moved at such a glacial pace for alliance entry - and everything else, really - one can't blame Star members if they're worried about a future with AI. Air India's hopelessness has a rather minimal impact on the alliance now; if they were to become a member, and continued behaving the same way (a perfectly fair expectation), the impact could be significant.

Agreed.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 6:47 am
A2A

Programs: AA, BASilver, TajICGold, MarriottPlatinum,HyattGlobalist, EYGold, AI
I know personally ~20 9W Plats in IXE, and probably ~50 9W Golds. I'm sure there are many more who I don't know.

20 may not seem like a big number, but at a small station like IXE, it's a big deal. In comparison, I only know 5 AI Golds and 0 AI Maharaja Club members in IXE... Although that may be because of the horrible treatment IC has given IXE over the years...
You sure are well connected. But 20 plats and 50 golds in a scheme of about 2 million members (17 lakh members in 2010, can't locate latest nos. so extrapolating a bit) is a small decimal rounding off.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 7:40 am

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/5.0.0.822 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Originally Posted by A2A
I know personally ~20 9W Plats in IXE, and probably ~50 9W Golds. I'm sure there are many more who I don't know.

20 may not seem like a big number, but at a small station like IXE, it's a big deal. In comparison, I only know 5 AI Golds and 0 AI Maharaja Club members in IXE... Although that may be because of the horrible treatment IC has given IXE over the years...
You sure are well connected. But 20 plats and 50 golds in a scheme of about 2 million members (17 lakh members in 2010, can't locate latest nos. so extrapolating a bit) is a small decimal rounding off.
Indeed.

I live in South Bombay, which possibly has the highest concentration of airline elites in the country, and I can't say I personally know half that number.

But here we have not just knowing so many elites, but also intimate knowledge of working practices, being the confidant of choice for pilots unions, media managers' preferred point of leakage, a global bellwether for what's fantastic... And so much more.

Last edited by Babu; Aug 3, 2012 at 6:08 am
Old Aug 2, 2012, 8:24 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus: Premier Silver

While *A may have played hardball, the fact that it took AI 4 years to try to join and the fact that the alliance was forced to set a deadline for joining threw up all kinds of red flags about AI. AI and the GoI dug their own grave as far as this goes. They just got mad when someone threw dirt on top of them.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 8:26 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
No more of this "application suspended, now lets twiddle our thumbs" crap...
That's rich, coming from the Undisputed World Champion of Thumb Twiddling : Air India.
Well, yeah... AI has been twiddling its thumbs and maintaining "we'll get to Star one day" instead of actively pursuing opportunities with other alliances or trying to reconcile differences with Star... That's thumb twiddling, and not particularly rich.

Really? Now a mainstream article is perfectly trustworthy?
You guys want mainstream articles, so I provided one...

Originally Posted by hyderago
Did you read the article I linked to? Mainstream, just as you like :
http://www.livemint.com/2011/08/0122....html?atype=tp
Gerhard Girkinger, chief project manager at Star Alliance, who has been supervising the integration process with Air India, wrote to the carrier on 30 July and said that much of the work was “done”.

“I can confirm the status of the integration based on the attached spreadsheets. From my perspective, this means we are basically done although I need formal sign-off. All the other components depend on a joining date,” Girkinger wrote.
Originally Posted by A2A
As I said, this is IXE. We are a 5-flight per day station. The absolute number of 9W followers may be low, but in comparison to the following other airlines have here, it's huge.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 8:27 am
Suspended

I'm not buying this. *A doesn't seem that dumb to me. I think the reason you provided was the official reason given just so AI could save face and not admit that it did not meet alliance requirements.
Agreed.
Let's not argue about why AI was rejected. That was discussed in detail last year. NO one said *A is dumb. There has to be explanation other than meeting requirements when it found ET suitable.

AI's rejection is fact. AI was not going to be admitted without 9W. Now 9W has requested for permission to join *A. Let's stick to the issue and facts.
What should/would happen to 9W's application is what we should be discussing.

Last edited by Yaatri; Aug 2, 2012 at 8:33 am
Old Aug 2, 2012, 8:36 am

Did you read the article I linked to? Mainstream, just as you like :
http://www.livemint.com/2011/08/0122....html?atype=tp
You're right, I do generally prefer mainstream articles. And yes, I read it. I agree that the article probably quoted the *A person accurately. But my point is that the *A and AI officials may not have been telling us the real reason because of some political game they are playing.

This is not something crazy that I am suggesting. We know that politicians and businesspeople often say stuff in press conferences in order to hide something else.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by Yaatri
Let's not argue about why AI was rejected. That was discussed in detail last year. NO one said *A is dumb. There has to be explanation other than meeting requirements when it found ET suitable.

AI's rejection is fact. AI was not going to be admitted without 9W. Now 9W has requested for permission to join *A. Let's stick to the issue and facts.
What should/would happen to 9W's application is what we should be discussing.
Well, the thread is about Jet asking GoI for permission to join *A. A few natural discussion points are (1) why Jet would need such permission in the first place and (2) the likelihood of them being granted such permission.

In my opinion, the answers to these questions are at least somewhat related to why AI (i.e. GoI) was denied entry into *A last year. For instance, if AI was denied entry because their systems were not ready, it's one thing. In such a case, 9W's application might have a relatively higher chance of being approved. But if AI was denied entry because *A also wanted 9W, then I just don't see why GoI would allow 9W to join *A this year.

So I think it is fair to discuss why AI was denied entry into *A last year in the context of understanding Jet's request for permission to join *A this year.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 8:49 am
Suspended

Regardless of why AI was rejected by *A, *A was well within its power to do so. Whether its exercised its power judiciously or with ulterior motives is not the issue.
It's well within GoI's power to reject 9W's application outright, or take its own sweet time, as is the norm, to act on it.
But should it? This soap opera needs to end. The Govt should act in the interest of the industry, not just AI. Jet Airways might take it (*A's preference for 9W) a victory, but in all likelihood, it's the kiss of death. Jet has a better chance of survival in another alliance. But it's Jet Airways' prerogative to make that choice, GoI cannot decide for 9W.
GoI does get to decide lots of other things vis-a-vis LH. That's where the action should be.

If 9W's application to join *A is rejected, it will disappoint my fellow enthusiasts on this board, but will not hurt 9W in the long run. It would serve *A right if it were.

Last edited by Yaatri; Aug 3, 2012 at 9:27 am
Old Aug 2, 2012, 8:53 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus: Premier Silver
Originally Posted by Yaatri
This soap opera needs to end. The Govt should act in the interest of the industry, not just AI.
I certainly agree with this. This can't drag on forever just because the GoI refuses to let AI be anything more then its own private fleet.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 9:12 am
Suspended

Well, the thread is about Jet asking GoI for permission to join *A. A few natural discussion points are (1) why Jet would need such permission in the first place and (2) the likelihood of them being granted such permission.
That's a valid question. Other than anti-trus, or MRTPA, there should not be any other consideration. But GoI does own AI and has a duty to act in the interest of AI, as well as Indian aviation industry (there isa conflict of interest here). Additionally, it is foreign trade which is regulated by GoI.
Also the intrigue generated by AI's attempts to join *A last year should not be ignored.
In my opinion, the answers to these questions are at least somewhat related to why AI (i.e. GoI) was denied entry into *A last year. For instance, if AI was denied entry because their systems were not ready, it's one thing. In such a case, 9W's application might have a relatively higher chance of being approved. But if AI was denied entry because *A also wanted 9W, then I just don't see why GoI would allow 9W to join *A this year.
It does not matter why AI was denied entry. That it was is fait accompli. Its application was not denied, but suspended. It's curious, to say the least.
So I think it is fair to discuss why AI was denied entry into *A last year in the context of understanding Jet's request for permission to join *A this year.
Whether it's fair or not, is not the issue. The issue is how GoI should act on the request made by GoI. We can discuss why AI was rejected, rather, why AI's application was suspended until the cows come home, we will not be able to resolve it. Too many people here want to discus this issue emotionally. That you or someone else wants 9W's application to be accepted is not relevant here. This is what I said when AI was under consideration by *A.

What GoI's objectives should be, and how it can best achieve them is the issue. Clearly *A or those who wield power in *A are going to act in its interest, possibly in the interest of a powerful member, not in Jet's interest. WE expect 9W to act in its own interest. Even if it's too dumb to know what's best for it, that decision is to be made by Jet and it has made that decision. Now it's GoI's turn.

If you do want to discuss AI's application for membership to *A, think about why it was NOT rejected. It was suspended. But nothing new will come out of that discussion either, as these points were raised before too. People have their minds made up and see only what they want to see.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 9:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rurouni212
I certainly agree with this. This can't drag on forever just because the GoI refuses to let AI be anything more then its own private fleet.
Some FF's think the same about Jet. They expect Jet to give away business class seats for economy class fare. There will always be interest groups who want to maximise their advantage whether it's AI, or Jet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.