Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Jet and the Star Alliance. Will they / Won't they?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jet and the Star Alliance. Will they / Won't they?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2012, 8:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Originally Posted by IA article
“We do not know how much will we benefit by joining the alliance with Singapore already a member. There is a thinking that the benefits will not be much from Star Alliance and our talks with the other two airline alliances is also on,” he said.
It took Jet so long to figure this out? Star alliance groupies will never get it.
Jet will be crushed between SQ and LH if it joins the alliance.

Is this IA reporter expressing his opinion, or facts? Intrigue and rama continues.
Originally Posted by IA arrticle
To facilitate Jet Airways’ entry, Star Alliance had put a condition before the civil aviation ministry to allow both Air India and Jet Airways to join the alliance together. The ministry, however, had said that Jet will only be allowed to join after Air India completes its joining.
After keeping Air India’s membership on hold for a year, the alliance decided not to suspend accept the national carrier’s membership on the ground that it had not fulfilled the criteria it had agreed to.
If history is any guide, the French did not make it although they tried very hard. I think Jet will go to OneWorld, the weakest alliance.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 8:56 am

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Originally Posted by jasepl
I think you're giving Jet far too much credit. I imagine, rather, that the decision was precipitated by a conversation more on the lines of:

NG : Arrey, Anita, now new vanda's come. Star looked like a done deal after the beastly Air India realised they can't stand in our way for anything (your idea of 10 khokhas instead of two helped, of course!).
AG : What happened now?
NG : Arrey, Anita, now Star is making all these demands. They want to make sure we make changes to be in line with the rest of the alliance.
AG : What are they talking about? There's nothing we need to change... We're perfect as we are. If anything, they need to change to be more like us.
NG : I know, right? But, arrey, Anita, they're going on about things like connectivity, image, standards and the like. And - get this - your pet Jet Privilege.
AG : W%$%T&*@F? What? Who do they think they are? Don't they know we're Jet Airways? We're the best. Everything about us is the best. Ever. We don't need to improve anything. Hell, we couldn't even if we wanted to, because there is no room for improvement. We're that good. And I've made sure of that.
NG : I know, Anita, I know. But arrey, Anita, what to do.
AG : Let's call Paris and London and see what they offer us. Shouldn't be a problem, because everyone knows we're amazing and they would be lucky to have us.
NG : Arrey, Anita.... you're a genius!
AG : I know!
Old Aug 27, 2012, 9:14 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus: Premier Silver
You know, I think its gotten to the point where all the alliances should just give up on recruiting an indian member for a little while. All the airlines there have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that they are completely inept/insane.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Jet should join oneworld. Less competition than Star, but at the same time oneworld has decent coverage of India that travellers will start to consider Jet for their travels. The rest of the oneworld charge fuel surcharges on mileage redemption and this will be in line with Jet's redemption.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by hyho61
Jet should join oneworld. Less competition than Star, but at the same time oneworld has decent coverage of India that travellers will start to consider Jet for their travels. The rest of the oneworld charge fuel surcharges on mileage redemption and this will be in line with Jet's redemption.
Most of Star does too. KLM/AF are the worst at it.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by hyho61
The rest of the oneworld charge fuel surcharges on mileage redemption and this will be in line with Jet's redemption.
i don't think rj does....
Old Aug 28, 2012, 3:29 am

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
OW should step-up and get Jet or Etihad to sign up.. OW loses a lot from lack of decent South Asian partner.. RJ is there but its strength probably lies only in GULF whereas Etihad gives global coverage and Jet gives a lot of Indian Subcontinent options.. OW has stayed stagnant for toooo long..
Old Aug 28, 2012, 3:49 am

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by galaticos
OW should step-up and get Jet or Etihad to sign up.. OW loses a lot from lack of decent South Asian partner.. RJ is there but its strength probably lies only in GULF whereas Etihad gives global coverage and Jet gives a lot of Indian Subcontinent options.. OW has stayed stagnant for toooo long..
True, and there have also been some losses (MX - reversible? and MA - permanent). That said, MH is on its way on board - finally! And given the various rumors about an ME3 on its way, looks like the ball is finally rolling with most likely EY, or possibly and less likely, QR. And I hear UL is on their way too (Sri Lankan). While it appears that OW is trying to get South Asian coverage without an Indian carrier, 9W would still be a great add. Always assuming they can keep their head above water without diluting the outstanding experience.

However, one thing 9W lacks that most of the other lead OW airlines have is one or more true hubs. BOM doesn't count yet; at least not until the international and domestic connection processes are far more seamless (if not equivalent to, at least aspiring to SIN, HKG etc. for international - and say what you like about AA, no OW member can beat them for ease of domestic connections); until world-class lounges (if not the CCR, at least equivalent to Galleries) are in place and dedicated to OW and not shared; etc. DEL could work if 9W chose to hub there rather than BOM - but IMO 9W isn't yet big enough to have two major hubs (witness BA ).
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:20 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus: Premier Silver
http://www.livemint.com/2012/08/2819...nsa-s.html?h=B

The civil aviation ministry has approved a strategic alliance between Jet Airways (India) Ltd, the country’s largest airline by passengers carried, and Deutsche Lufthansa AG that will enable them to sell seats across each other’s networks, in the process pushing state-owned Air India deeper into the red.
Could this be it?

Also, on the bit on SriLankan Airlines, that is confirmed.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 3:58 am

So yet another flip-flop from JetZophrenia.

Regardless, this is a good thing. Enough of stupid ministry and even stupider Air India standing in the way for anything.

That said, what is this going to achieve that isn't already happening?

I fear that by hooking it up with Lufthansa, Jet are basically going to ensure they will do for LH in the Subcontinent what Adria do in the Balkans.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 9:39 pm

In the meantime, Aerolineas are the latest to join an alliance : Skyteam effective today.

It's amazing how our airlines think the competition is static and the world is going to wait for them. Air India and Jet Airways will continue to delude themselves into thinking they're far more important than they actually are.

Last edited by jasepl; Aug 30, 2012 at 10:00 pm
Old Aug 31, 2012, 1:42 am

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Originally Posted by scnzzz
DEL could work if 9W chose to hub there rather than BOM - but IMO 9W isn't yet big enough to have two major hubs (witness BA ).
And there's the little issue of the airport fees which would automatically make this impossible...
Old Aug 31, 2012, 6:42 am

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MKE-MR
And there's the little issue of the airport fees which would automatically make this impossible...
Details, details
Old Aug 31, 2012, 9:57 am

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/5.0.0.822 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Originally Posted by scnzzz
Originally Posted by MKE-MR
Details, details
I agree.

How can the airport be blamed when your flight from Johannesburg arrives at 11pm and your "connection" departs at 7 am ? Or when your flight from Goa lands at 8pm and your "connection" to Brussels departs at 3 am?

Why would anyone in their right mind not choose to FlyEmirates ?

Forget Sahar and even Palam. If Jet were given free reign of Changi, do you think they would see any more success, with flight times, ground services and so much else the way they are?
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:17 am

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Originally Posted by jasepl
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/5.0.0.822 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I agree.

How can the airport be blamed when your flight from Johannesburg arrives at 11pm and your "connection" departs at 7 am ? Or when your flight from Goa lands at 8pm and your "connection" to Brussels departs at 3 am?

Why would anyone in their right mind not choose to FlyEmirates ?

Forget Sahar and even Palam. If Jet were given free reign of Changi, do you think they would see any more success, with flight times, ground services and so much else the way they are?
Perhaps that is really why they prefer to hub BOM... the Sahar Shuffle keeps pax occupied for 3+ hours so they don't have to complain about having too much layover time

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.