Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Jet and the Star Alliance. Will they / Won't they?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2012, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ , QF , MK

http://www.livemint.com/2012/07/3123...ernment-n.html

New Delhi: Naresh Goyal-controlled Jet Airways (India) Ltd, the country’s biggest carrier, has sought government permission to join the world’s largest airline grouping, Star Alliance Services GmbH, putting the aviation ministry in a bit of a spot.

It looks as though 9W have finally declared their preference. I wonder what , if anything, will happen next.

Will the Government:

give its blessing

say "No"

or just ignore the request for a few years ?
Old Jul 31, 2012, 1:33 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Jet asks GoI for permission to join Star

Damn for a second I thought that Gol owns Jet Airways
Old Jul 31, 2012, 2:41 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
oh no... another *A in India discussion... everyone get their soapboxes!
Old Jul 31, 2012, 2:43 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by oliver2002
oh no... another *A in India discussion... everyone get their soapboxes!
Some never got off it in the first place!

This should be fun! Although I hope, from a personal perspective, not a baptism of fire.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 4:12 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
not in this lifetime
Old Aug 1, 2012, 1:51 am

Here we go again; different mulberry bush, similar orbit.

For what (little) it's worth, I still think Skyteam will work best for Jet from several angles.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by jasepl
For what (little) it's worth, I still think Skyteam will work best for Jet from several angles.
i've said it before & i'll say it again, just join any alliance, doesn't matter which one....
Old Aug 1, 2012, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by kiwiandrew
give its blessing
yup, just as soon as hell freezes over....

say "No"
not right away....

or just ignore the request for a few years ?
my guess would be 3-4 years....
Old Aug 1, 2012, 3:15 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
...and i hope the GoI have the balls to turn them down. However crap Air India may be, the way Star treated them when they were all ready to join was shocking and they deserve to be locked out of India for their arrogance.

Jet should have gone with Oneworld or Skyteam when they had the opportunity a few years ago.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 3:18 am
ups

Programs: BAEC, Amex MR
Maybe I'm naive about this stuff, but why do they need government permission to join an alliance?
Old Aug 1, 2012, 3:27 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by d3vski
...and i hope the GoI have the balls to turn them down. However crap Air India may be, the way Star treated them when they were all ready to join was shocking and they deserve to be locked out of India for their arrogance.

Jet should have gone with Oneworld or Skyteam when they had the opportunity a few years ago.
Actually, the biggest slap in the face was not the way *A treated them. Hell, they are used to that. It's the fact that they let ET join and the timing.

9W makes sense for *A now for a bunch of reasons. Brussels Air & Jet both have hubs in BRU which don't compete at all. Would be a nice way for passengers from Europe to get to India/Asia not to mention a new transit spot between Africa/India.

For what it's worth, I've taken a number of 9W flights between LHR-BOM and EWR-BRU-BOM, all on the 77W in F and they are a fantastic airline, every bit as good as SQ IMHO

Last edited by chinatraderjmr; Aug 1, 2012 at 3:37 am
Old Aug 1, 2012, 3:49 am
A2A

Programs: AA, BASilver, TajICGold, MarriottPlatinum,HyattGlobalist, EYGold, AI
Originally Posted by ups
Maybe I'm naive about this stuff, but why do they need government permission to join an alliance?
I am guessing just because there is precedent. however, I am not privy to the terms of granting a Scheduled Carrier Licence in India and if it needs the permission of GoI
Old Aug 1, 2012, 4:30 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
For what it's worth, I've taken a number of 9W flights between LHR-BOM and EWR-BRU-BOM, all on the 77W in F and they are a fantastic airline, every bit as good as SQ IMHO
Never flown 9W in F but their J product on the international wide bodies are also right up there with the competition.

With the new 330s on the way they must be looking to use the alliance to fill up all those extra J seats..
Old Aug 1, 2012, 6:12 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by Anish
Never flown 9W in F but their J product on the international wide bodies are also right up there with the competition.

With the new 330s on the way they must be looking to use the alliance to fill up all those extra J seats..
They Unfortunatly cancelled the 77W's that used to fly BOM/DEL-BRU-EWR & BOM-PVG-SFO (only used on LHR routes now). I was told by a pilot the last time I flew them ( Ex CO Capt) that they just put so much money into those suites in F & the C configuration that these planes are very heavy. The cant make $$ with them in flights to the US since F & C fares are not so high

TG leases some of them now and people love them in F. I've heard of people going out of there way to fly TG from FRA or CDG just to fly on these Jet 77W's
Old Aug 1, 2012, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Actually, the biggest slap in the face was not the way *A treated them. Hell, they are used to that. It's the fact that they let ET join and the timing.

9W makes sense for *A now for a bunch of reasons. Brussels Air & Jet both have hubs in BRU which don't compete at all. Would be a nice way for passengers from Europe to get to India/Asia not to mention a new transit spot between Africa/India.

Hahahaha.... They are just as bad at award availability as SQ. Is this a joke?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.