Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Jet and the Star Alliance. Will they / Won't they?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jet and the Star Alliance. Will they / Won't they?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2012, 12:30 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
and again...

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/16274352.cms

Jet Airways has now formally applied to the government for permission to join the German carrier Lufthansa-led alliance, which has United Airlines, Singapore Airlines, SWISS, Air China and Turkish Airlines among its members. It has also struck a much larger code share deal with Lufthansa as compared with what exists with Air India.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by abhilife2001
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/16274352.cms

Jet Airways has now formally applied to the government for permission to join the German carrier Lufthansa-led alliance, which has United Airlines, Singapore Airlines, SWISS, Air China and Turkish Airlines among its members. It has also struck a much larger code share deal with Lufthansa as compared with what exists with Air India.
i've said it before & i'll say it again, 'here we go again'....
Old Sep 6, 2012, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by Keyser
i've said it before & i'll say it again, 'here we go again'....
How long before JetZophrenia says again "we'd rather talk to Paris or London instead" or "we're too good and important to stoop to alliance membership levels".
Old Sep 6, 2012, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by jasepl
How long before JetZophrenia says again "we'd rather talk to Paris or London instead" or "we're too good and important to stoop to alliance membership levels".
Mr Goyal and Mr Mallaya both like living in the "cloud" in the "jet "age
Old Sep 6, 2012, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Have they ever officially applied in the past though?
Old Sep 6, 2012, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by lallyr
Have they ever officially applied in the past though?
This news is from ToI group.. so I will take it with a pinch of salt
Old Sep 6, 2012, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Someone just join an alliance. Even SL is beating us out.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 9:49 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus: Premier Silver
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Someone just join an alliance. Even SL is beating us out.
GoAir to oneworld?
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Had lunch with a friend who is more or less on First name terms with Mr & Mrs G. Got some detailed answers and there is no chance of Jet joining any alliance yet. Basically these are all publicity stunts by Mr G to show creditors and possible lenders that Jet has expansion plans.

He has no plans on Jet joining an alliance, he knows that all 3 of the alliances want Jet on board but he will take his time and basically milk it.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 4:09 pm

He has no plans on Jet joining an alliance, he knows that all 3 of the alliances want Jet on board but he will take his time and basically milk it.
That's interesting. It seems to me like Jet needs one of the three alliances more than they need it.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hyderago
That's interesting. It seems to me like Jet needs one of the three alliances more than they need it.
Does it though? What benefit will it get? Don't get me wrong I am not being abrupt, I honestly don't know the benefit it will gain?

Right now it has code share agreements with most of the major airlines anyway so it get's business from them regardless of it being in a alliance? I mean there must be a reason why he doesn't wanna join?

Last edited by onlysuites; Sep 16, 2012 at 4:24 pm
Old Sep 16, 2012, 9:00 pm
Suspended

Wirelessly posted (Samsung Galaxy S: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.4; en-us; SGH-T989 Build/IMM76D) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Had lunch with a friend who is more or less on First name terms with Mr & Mrs G. Got some detailed answers and there is no chance of Jet joining any alliance yet. Basically these are all publicity stunts by Mr G to show creditors and possible lenders that Jet has expansion plans.

Or claiming that it's a publici stunt is a publicity stunt to make all alliances want it even more.
What a circus!

Last edited by AJLondon; Sep 17, 2012 at 9:53 am Reason: Removed obscene word
Old Sep 16, 2012, 9:52 pm

Does it though? What benefit will it get? Don't get me wrong I am not being abrupt, I honestly don't know the benefit it will gain?

Right now it has code share agreements with most of the major airlines anyway so it get's business from them regardless of it being in a alliance? I mean there must be a reason why he doesn't wanna join?
I think we've had this conversation earlier in this thread. Anyway, here's one benefit: by joining an alliance, Jet's passengers can earn elite miles on partner airlines. A simple code share is just not good enough. Someone (especially a business traveler) who wants to fly ORD to BOM will not choose 9W even though the LHR/BRU-BOM segment may have an AA code.

Originally Posted by Yaatri
Or claiming that it's a publici stunt is a publicity stunt to make all alliances want it even more.
What a circus!
I buy this!

Last edited by AJLondon; Sep 17, 2012 at 9:54 am Reason: Removed obscene word from quoted post
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:52 pm
A2A

Programs: AA, BASilver, TajICGold, MarriottPlatinum,HyattGlobalist, EYGold, AI
Originally Posted by hyderago
I think we've had this conversation earlier in this thread. Anyway, here's one benefit: by joining an alliance, Jet's passengers can earn elite miles on partner airlines. A simple code share is just not good enough. Someone (especially a business traveler) who wants to fly ORD to BOM will not choose 9W even though the LHR/BRU-BOM segment may have an AA code.
Jet had some good people leading the JP program who wanted to make it a good program at a point of time. As of date, the current head of JP does only has revenue targets to meet (via people I know who work closely with 9w) so all he can do is to tie up more and sell more miles. Hence, what a JP customer wants or is beneficial is not relevant anymore.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 3:49 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
Originally Posted by A2A
Jet had some good people leading the JP program who wanted to make it a good program at a point of time. As of date, the current head of JP does only has revenue targets to meet (via people I know who work closely with 9w) so all he can do is to tie up more and sell more miles. Hence, what a JP customer wants or is beneficial is not relevant anymore.
It does seem like Jet are operating an elaborate Ponzi type scheme with JP....sell more miles, fund the investors....dilute the miles and make them useless...sell the miles, fund the investors, dilute the miles....and the cycle continues...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.