Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Jet and the Star Alliance. Will they / Won't they?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jet and the Star Alliance. Will they / Won't they?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2012, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
They Unfortunatly cancelled the 77W's that used to fly BOM/DEL-BRU-EWR & BOM-PVG-SFO (only used on LHR routes now). I was told by a pilot the last time I flew them ( Ex CO Capt) that they just put so much money into those suites in F & the C configuration that these planes are very heavy. The cant make $$ with them in flights to the US since F & C fares are not so high

TG leases some of them now and people love them in F. I've heard of people going out of there way to fly TG from FRA or CDG just to fly on these Jet 77W's
I was going to say UA is the only airline offering PVG SFO nonstop.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Hahahaha.... They are just as bad at award availability as SQ. Is this a joke?
Who is TG? To be honest with you I have had more success with TG F then with SQ F and Jet F.

Originally Posted by kiwiandrew
or just ignore the request for a few years ?
Yep. I can see this happening. Unless NG pays his way through which I think he might.

Originally Posted by Anish
Never flown 9W in F but their J product on the international wide bodies are also right up there with the competition.

With the new 330s on the way they must be looking to use the alliance to fill up all those extra J seats..

I have been lucky enough to have flown most of the top First class products out there and I have to say that Jet First is my second favorite. This is after Etihad who offer the same cabin as Jet in F.

I wasn't aware of the 330's. When and how many?
Old Aug 1, 2012, 7:11 am
Suspended

Actually, the biggest slap in the face was not the way *A treated them. Hell, they are used to that. It's the fact that they let ET join and the timing.

9W makes sense for *A now for a bunch of reasons. Brussels Air & Jet both have hubs in BRU which don't compete at all. Would be a nice way for passengers from Europe to get to India/Asia not to mention a new transit spot between Africa/India.
There are already many ways to get to India/Asia from Europe. LH serves India from Europe better than 9W does already.
As far as connections to Africa are concerned, other than for Indians peddling Chinese junk in Africa, connections to Africa above the equator is hardly an important consideration for Indian flyers.
9W would eaten alive by LH. But they do want *A.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 7:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kiwiandrew
http://www.livemint.com/2012/07/3123...ernment-n.html

New Delhi: Naresh Goyal-controlled Jet Airways (India) Ltd, the country’s biggest carrier, has sought government permission to join the world’s largest airline grouping, Star Alliance Services GmbH, putting the aviation ministry in a bit of a spot.

It looks as though 9W have finally declared their preference. I wonder what , if anything, will happen next.

Will the Government:

give its blessing

say "No"

or just ignore the request for a few years ?
Originally Posted by LiveMint
"We are pleased to inform you that we have made the decision to join Star Alliance,” Jet Airways senior vice-president, planning and alliance, Raj Sivakumar, said in a 16 July letter to aviation secretary Syed Nasim Zaidi.
Decided to join? Have they been invited yet?
There is a growing number of blogs that quote no sources. Once something appears on a blog, every other blogs uses the same bit of information without adding to the original blog in information or verity.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 7:51 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Actually, the biggest slap in the face was not the way *A treated them. Hell, they are used to that. It's the fact that they let ET join and the timing.

9W makes sense for *A now for a bunch of reasons. Brussels Air & Jet both have hubs in BRU which don't compete at all. Would be a nice way for passengers from Europe to get to India/Asia not to mention a new transit spot between Africa/India.

For what it's worth, I've taken a number of 9W flights between LHR-BOM and EWR-BRU-BOM, all on the 77W in F and they are a fantastic airline, every bit as good as SQ IMHO
Already flying Brussels Air and Jet on one ticketed itinerary is possible.

9W in economy class for long-haul international flights in coach is now worse than when 9W first started service beyond Asia.

I hope that 9W is able to get into Star Alliance but I am not counting on it happening anytime very soon.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 7:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by A2A
I am guessing just because there is precedent. however, I am not privy to the terms of granting a Scheduled Carrier Licence in India and if it needs the permission of GoI
Anti-trust-/competition-undermining concerns. These kind of concerns (about consumer-unfriendly outcomes) and needs for government approval are not unique to India. Even US and European carriers have sought and attained such approval from their own governments so as to join up in an alliance.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 7:57 am
Suspended

Time to let go or time to draw the line?

It's clear that Jet prefers *A and *A prefers Jet.
Since *A, more specifically LH is not interested in having AI on board and most Indian *A members overwhelmingly prefer Jet, it's about time GoI realised that it's been had and let the industry decide for itself.
There is a reason why Jet was never formally invited or why Jet never made any formal declaration of its intent. Any declaration of intent from either side would have made the charade of AI being mentored by Lufthansa to join the alliance.

While it makes sense to punish LH, it's irresponsible to punish the industry by condemning to limbo .

Let Jet Go. But do punish LH and *A.
Alternatively, if IT dies, as it it increasingly looks like it will, SKyTeam and OneWorld can divvy up Jet and AI leaving *A high and dry.
LH has been pushing the line. GoI needs to draw a firm line and take the cue from Farragut.
In either case, there should be immediate repercussions for LH.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 8:08 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Yaatri
Let Jet Go. But do punish LH and *A.
So the GoI/DGCA should allow 9W to join *A if LH departs it first and hands over all Germany-India slots to AirBerlin ie OW
Old Aug 1, 2012, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by lallyr
Who is TG? To be honest with you I have had more success with TG F then with SQ F and Jet F.

Yep. I can see this happening. Unless NG pays his way through which I think he might.

I have been lucky enough to have flown most of the top First class products out there and I have to say that Jet First is my second favorite. This is after Etihad who offer the same cabin as Jet in F.

I wasn't aware of the 330's. When and how many?
I was talking about 9w
Old Aug 1, 2012, 8:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by oliver2002
So the GoI/DGCA should allow 9W to join *A if LH departs it first and hands over all Germany-India slots to AirBerlin ie OW
I don't care where they go. They can sit idle as B787s are.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002
BA, EY already have good coverage of India.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 8:26 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I don't care where they go. They can sit idle as B787s are.
Maybe make LH take the 787 and 77L off AI's hands at list price before 9W is allowed to join *A? That should hurt...
Old Aug 1, 2012, 8:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jasepl
Here we go again; different mulberry bush, similar orbit.
Are you sure it's a mulberry bush?
Originally Posted by jasepl
For what (little) it's worth, I still think Skyteam will work best for Jet from several angles.
*A doesn't need any airline to either supplement or complement its network outside India. If Jet is content with a couple of flights to Brussels and flying to SE Asia, West Asia, it would fit well with *A. Jet will have its; wings clipped in *A.

With SkyTeam it can grow.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 8:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
BA, EY already have good coverage of India.
EY and EK, jointly and severally, have far better coverage of India than any European carrier. Actually they have far better coverage of India than all the US and European airlines together.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 11:36 am
A2A

Programs: AA, BASilver, TajICGold, MarriottPlatinum,HyattGlobalist, EYGold, AI
Decided to join? Have they been invited yet?
There is a growing number of blogs that quote no sources. Once something appears on a blog, every other blogs uses the same bit of information without adding to the original blog in information or verity.
They have received a letter from *A to confirm their interest after which *A will take it to their CEO board of member airlines, the same board that voted AI out last July.

As for the source, it is the Mint news paper which accessed the documents and confirmed sighting them. It is present at the beginning of this thread.

Talking about blogs, one for the road on this series of events...

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/livefr...rd-time-lucky/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.