Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2023, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Sometimes customer service on twitter is quicker than other ways to contact Iberia:
https://twitter.com/Iberia_en
Print Wikipost

Iberia Award ticket cancel Avios refund

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2020, 6:51 pm

I ended up getting the money refunded to my credit card, but I have yet to see my avios returned. No emails or anything about it so far.

It was a flight fully on AA metal in June that had been canceled by the AA due to not flying PHL to Europe.

Edit: Contacted the [email protected] email again asking about my Avios as my taxes were already refunded. They responded with this and my Avios were then immediately available.

According the communication received on our Iberia Plus center, we inform you that we have process the Avios reimbursement. In the following minutes you'll be able to visualize this information in the movements of your profile.

Last edited by Duane Haas; May 1, 2020 at 4:28 am Reason: Update on outcome
Old May 8, 2020, 9:32 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Deleted by OP

Last edited by beachfan; May 8, 2020 at 5:12 pm
Old May 8, 2020, 5:15 pm

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
Originally Posted by beachfan
Would you please share the format you used in including your Iberia Plus number in the subject line? I've tried a couple of ways, with IB as a prefix, without IB as a prefix, and nothing else in the subject line, it didn't work. I got an automatic note saying there was an error because my number wasn't in the subject line (even though it was) each time.
I sent my email with subject as follows: IB # 12345678 - followed by my name.
Email addressed to: [email protected]

Hope this info is helpful !
Old May 10, 2020, 10:34 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriot (via SPG) Lifetime Gold
As an additional data point, I called to ask for Avios and taxes to be refunded for a cancelled award flight on April 26. I was told I would get the Avios in 3-5 days and the refund of taxes would take up to 30 days. Turned out I got the taxes refunded to my credit card in 3 days, but when I didn't get the Avios after two weeks I sent an e-mail as per this thread and I received the Avios in two days.
Travelomania likes this.
Old May 10, 2020, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I waited 3 weeks, but once I got the lifemiles account # correctly in the subject line, it only took two days from receipt of the followup email to points posting.

Thanks to those that went before me and showed the way.
Old May 15, 2020, 5:25 am

Quick Iberia data point:

Had an award flight in J coming up JFK-MAD-NAP for late June. Submitted the online refund voucher from the “Manage My Booking” page last Monday, 5/4. Flight was actually cancelled Tuesday, 5/5. E-mail 5/5 saying we received your refund request, we see you booked an Avios ticket, we are working on your refund but it may take a bit longer than the stated processing time (5 biz days). Avios showed up yesterday, 5/14, and taxes refunded to credit card today, 5/15.

Overall impressively quick and painless, <30 seconds of work on my end.
Old May 19, 2020, 7:03 am

I had award flights OMA-SJO on 6/5 and return 6/15. Based on previous feedback I tried email with no success. I then just requested a voucher via the website. Within 2-3 business days, I had the fees refunded and the Avios back in my account.

Edited to add: I'd hate to have an actual paid ticket with Iberia. Getting a hold of a phone agent is extremely difficult and the website specifically redirects to an 800 number, if a refund is desired. The website itself only allows for the voucher option. Despicable strategy.

Last edited by michaelr; May 19, 2020 at 7:39 am
Old May 19, 2020, 9:09 am

My last contact about a cancelled award trip was in a Twitter direct message on April 21, saying the department in charge would contact me when the refund was ready. Following the last post here, I tried the form https://contacto.iberia.com/normativ...ial?idioma=ES/ . As soon as I entered the PNR a message came up saying "Your reservation corresponds to a reservation paid with Avios, so in your case, we have managed your refund (reimbursing the AVIOS in your Iberia Plus account and the part paid will be refunded to the payment method used in the original purchase)." Not sure if I still needed to complete the form, I entered my phone number selecting the U.S. +1 from the menu, then the number with just digits. When I clicked Next it reformatted the number to the U.S. style (555) 555-5555 and gave a message "Can only contain numbers." That is, I entered it with only numbers, they changed it when I submitted it, and are leaving me stuck, if it is indeed advisable to use this form to get the refund going.
Old May 20, 2020, 11:33 am

In my case I used a link provided when looking at my reservation. The verbiage was to the effect: Your flights have changed/canceled. Click this link to get a voucher or call 800-XXX-XXX to request a refund.
Old May 20, 2020, 8:56 pm

In my case it's past the travel date. If I login, there are no redeposited points, it says "you don't have any pending trips," and when I enter the PNR I get "This booking code has not been found." My list of transactions shows the cancelled (by the airline) flights with removal of Avios dated on the scheduled flight dates.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 8:45 pm

For our trip cancelled March 19, an award for two passengers on one PNR, I won't rehash all the steps here, with several follow-ups as they handled the two pax separately, but the last Avios were credited back today, July 13.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 2:48 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
One more data point here. I just called to cancel an Avios booking MVD-MAD-MXP and was told that the refund of the cash portion would take "maybe one month or longer" and the Avios would be returned "some time maybe later". The e-mail confirmation of the cancellation with be received "some time after the cash is refunded".

Iberia is a frustrating company to deal with at the best of times, but they are really excelling themselves with their obstructiveness now.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
One more data point here. I just called to cancel an Avios booking MVD-MAD-MXP and was told that the refund of the cash portion would take "maybe one month or longer" and the Avios would be returned "some time maybe later". The e-mail confirmation of the cancellation with be received "some time after the cash is refunded".

Iberia is a frustrating company to deal with at the best of times, but they are really excelling themselves with their obstructiveness now.
I cancelled Monday, points back on Friday and cash back on Sat. This was for a flight that they cancelled, not sure if that makes a difference.
Never received an email.
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 9:07 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by theplayer
I cancelled Monday, points back on Friday and cash back on Sat. This was for a flight that they cancelled, not sure if that makes a difference.
Never received an email.
Same experience for me. Cancelled in early Sept and had miles and cash back within about a week.
Now my TAP refund is another story.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 9:40 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by fredc84
Same experience for me. Cancelled in early Sept and had miles and cash back within about a week.
Now my TAP refund is another story.
I guess I'll see how the Iberia refund goes. By coincidence, TAP is messing me around as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.