Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Melbourne REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2013, 4:05 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
I picked up two nights there for 305 per night in Austalian dollars with the gourmet delight package
It's been many years since Ive been there and will be reviewing the entire experience from top to bottom in every regard
Looking back at the experience from the historical grand opening to present day and a comparison to the Grand Hyatt
Note to hotel watch out I will leave no stone unturned
Mohamed raves about this property so I am going primarily on his endorsement / kudos over the Grand Hyatt
You won't be unimpressed. Tell Evelyn or Mirna in the Park Lounge that Mohamed sent you
Old Sep 30, 2013, 5:59 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by m0hamed
You won't be unimpressed. Tell Evelyn or Mirna in the Park Lounge that Mohamed sent you
Will do
Old Oct 1, 2013, 5:31 pm

Wink Park Hyatt Melbourne Review October 3,2013

After a wonderful late evening Qantas business class flight from Perth to Melbourne I took a relaxing taxi ride to the hotel

Arrival
Arrived just after midnight and a can do bellman whisked my luggage to my room before I could get to my room off to a good start
At check in there was no mention of a Diamond upgrade however clearly I had been upgraded and I was on the club floor.
Kudos for the well written informative welcome arrival letter ^ which I initially failed ro read explaining lounge closure for breakfast.

Room
Room is lovely and housekeeping has done a marvelous job keeping a perfect odor free in room experience (no spray stench of any kind) well done! Brilliant for a hotel thats starting to age in hotel years ^
The hotel looks well even after all these years however there is considerable mould growing in the shower stall marbe tiles and it should be addressed.It's not costly to scrape it out and regrout
For a Park Hyatt unacceptable really a bad dodgy motel understood

Right side bed lighting goes on and off may be a short or a bulb issue
The TV is tiny for the size of the room and hard to see
A small TV makes the room seem dated as elegant as it is otherwise.Hyatt Place has superior TVs!
Also noticed the cheap low end dock stations for I phone but after trying it the sound was actually quite good so no issue there

Left for lunch at 11:45 to PM 24 one of Melbournes finest French Cafes it was outstanding as was the service
Came back to the hotel after 2 PM
Had left the make up my room light and no one had touched the room
Otherwise Housekeeping is doing a great job in maintaining the property to their credit.
They probably should have called or slipped a note under the door but apparently you have to call and request service or be ready when they are!
Went to use drinking glass by bed it wasn't cleaned or sterilzed it was evident a towel was used to clean the glass with all the lint on it
Worse the lip of the glass was chipped which could cut someone's lip.Obviously isolated issue but silly neglect

Breakfast at Radii

Beautiful presentation however that was more impressive than product
fruit produce issues pineapple anemic color out of season
Watermelon looked beautiful and tasted poor
Cantelope muskmelon and strawberries were satisfactory

The Perth Hyatt Regency had better produce where I had been previously
Smoked salmon was outstanding but pastry was not exceptional though the quality was acceptable taste was bland
Though the restaurant was empty not a single sever could come back and offer a refill of my water glass during my visit
There was no onion on the Buffett table but I was able to request some
No mention of the diamond upgrade to hot breakfast
I stood to get my check as attention was sleepy overall
My suggestion to the hotel is label the pastry
I'm not a fan of chocolate pastry in the AM and twice I reached for chocolate pastry thinking it was fruit pastry.
Servers also had no clue as to what is being featured however the pleasant kitchen staff did
Breakfast is better than average but the whole experience IMHO is inferior to the
Grand Hyatt minus the higher caliber of the hard product in the room

Breakfast issues again on the second morning a lack of replenishment on the buffett.
It's not like they are busy but the staff while nice is not experienced.There were less than 6 tables occupied on either morning

Regency Club/Park Lounge
I entered into the lounge after messing around with club door some guests didnt fare as well and they were banging on the door to get in.Immediately after entering I was asked for my room number by a polite young lady
Thought the spread was elegantly presented but felt it wasn't so much to my personal liking.I did love the huge platter of fresh grapes
I was still full from lunch but the one egg roll vegetarian thing I tried was good

Fitness Center
The Fitness center has had some serious improvements since my last visit some years ago
The cardio stuff is mostly Life Fitness bikes,treadmills and ellipticals
The main brand of training machines is Nautilus which wis world class excpet they brought the lesser quality pieces sadly
While the gym has been improved it is still a bit somewhat lacking and too small
Since the hotel has been built fitness and athletic lifestyles have increased not decreased in demand and expectation for a luxury brand

Room Service
Breakfast may have been routine however room service lunch was outstanding
Cooking execution was perfect and superior to years past when it had hit rock bottom
I'm thinking about the possibility of returning for dinner at Radii

Final Assessment after check out written from the Grand Hyatt Melbourne

I came with an open mind to replace my go to hotels in Melbourne with the Park Hyatt being a Hyatt loyalist
For so many reasons other than the very nice comfortable rooms and suites or the hard product the Park Hyatt was a let down It remains a lesser friendlier service hotel in a number of important areas.
There were some bright spots and select induviduals that were note worthy certainly but not nearly as consistent with other area properties
While it still is obviously a solid choice for room & suite accomodations at present it can't fall into even my 5 top choices in the city.
Even without the suite upgrades we come to enjoy with Gold Passport the Park Hyatt Sydney remains a vastly better experience overall and a service game changer globally.

The Park Hyatt Melbourne with some more attention should be the top player(s) in the city hands down.
IMHO it needs more wow factor in food and beverage offerings other than elegant presentations
Having said that it still has a loyal devoted following regardless of personal opinion.Many will love it just the way it is
Hopefully Mohamed is still speaking with me after my review On to the Grand Hyatt Melbourne review

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Oct 3, 2013 at 3:00 am
Old Oct 1, 2013, 5:38 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
The keys can be a bit hit and miss, it takes a few swipes to access the club.

Are you in a Club Deluxe? Do you have a fireplace?

Mention the mould and bulb and see how they react.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 5:59 pm

The keys can be a bit hit and miss, it takes a few swipes to access the club.

Are you in a Club Deluxe? Do you have a fireplace?

Mention the mould and bulb and see how they react.
Yes I have the fire place with the couch is that a room or a suite?
Old Oct 2, 2013, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Yes I have the fire place with the couch is that a room or a suite?
Club Deluxe King. A suite without the frosted door separating the bedroom and living room
Old Oct 2, 2013, 12:54 pm

Club Deluxe King. A suite without the frosted door separating the bedroom and living room
Thanks for the info
The hotel should hire you as its communicator not a single person has reached out to me since I have been in house unless approached
Regarding the room funny as I thought the room feels somewhat like a suite or an oversized guest room
Accommodations are solid here however they were still more generous with the slightly larger suites and a bit more hospitable in the past.

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Oct 2, 2013 at 7:05 pm
Old Dec 21, 2013, 9:24 am

Location: Near the pole, at the beach, top of mountains, underwater, golfing
Programs: AC E, FPC plat, TK E, VA G, HIlton diam, spg plat, CX gold, US air Plat, Hyatt Dia, A club Plat
australian open tennis tckets at park hyatt melbourne

this ph is my top hotel for melbourne. even if the player stays at the grand hyatt, i prefer the rooms and location of ph, more quiet. the lounge at ph is much better than grand hyatt. the late afternoon snacks are great and can be filling, we eat there before heading out for the night tennis sessions

i have extra tickets for the australian open tennis finals, 2 each day, saturday and sunday, jan 25 and 26 2014, lower level, only a few rows behind the players. my family canceled at last minute and they cannot go. i will still be there for the finals and 4 days before.

so if any other ft wants to meet up at park hyatt melbourne lounge, chat and talk about travel, tennis, and have great seats (at same low original costs as i paid as a austalian tennis match member) pm me!

Last edited by globaltravelers; Dec 21, 2013 at 9:43 am
Old Jan 23, 2014, 10:02 pm

Programs: AC E, FPC plat, TK E, VA G, HIlton diam, spg plat, CX gold, US air Plat, Hyatt Dia, A club Plat
I really like the rooms and the service here. The suite cathedral view with fireplace are vwry comfortable. Very private. Feels like a home.

I have to time my time better at the lounge. Kept missing stanilas wawrinka.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by globaltravelers
I really like the rooms and the service here. The suite cathedral view with fireplace are vwry comfortable. Very private. Feels like a home.

I have to time my time better at the lounge. Kept missing stanilas wawrinka.
Check the hotel tennis court
Old Feb 5, 2014, 11:01 pm

met stan the night before his big match with nadal. his entourage were friendly, even took pictures for us posing with stan. that was near midnight: instead of worrying, or sleeping, he relaxed with his friends in the hotel bar.

met him again the monday after. we were able to congratulate him on his historic win.

his room was near us, I hope we were not too loud.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
As a Nadal fan, I say that you obviously weren't loud enough.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 4:48 am

I booked a four-night stay here using the Gourmet Delights package about two weeks ago. Maybe it was because I just arrived from the Park Hyatt Sydney, but this hotel was such a disappointment, both hardware and software wise.

At arrival, I asked if it were possible to get a room with a view of the cathedral, and told the check-in agent I would be happy to use a DSU. Without checking, she just said she had none of those rooms left and the one I had was already one of the best. She also made no mention of any of the Diamond benefits, or the opening hours of the lounge, or breakfast, and seemed eager to send me on my way. In fact, midway through the check-in process while I was still asking a few questions, she looked over me to the guy behind and shouted "I'll be with you in a few seconds as soon as I'm done with him." Not a good start.

The room was fine, but was extremely dated. Some of the furniture should have been thrown out 10 years ago, but I suppose if you keep it another 10 it might look fashionable again. A friend told me the carpet is only a few years old, in which case I really cannot help but wonder why they chose such an awful pattern? I suppose it does go with the overall look though.

As others have mentioned, no welcome card from the hotel manager and no letter introducing the club offerings.

Headed to the club, where Mona and Evelyn were absolute sweethearts, and well deserving of the many kudos they have received from other posters here. They made small talk with everyone in the club, cleared old plates, offered refills, and generally did much more than they should.

Breakfast at the Radii restaurant made me feel like I was in some budget Bangkok hotel, with the neon lights at the corner and harried staff. The manager who took us to our seats turned away and left after we were seated, not bothering to ask about coffee. We sat there for a while, unsure if we were supposed to wait for somebody to take our coffee orders or just help ourselves to the food. Eventually, he returned about 15 minutes later, and asked us if we wanted a coffee. Mind you, the restaurant had five occupied tables at most, as it was almost 10 and most people had left. The servers mostly looked like students on a holiday job, admittedly something like I was when I was a bored 17-year-old waiting to enter college.

The chef at the hot food counter was an absolute star though. He was proactive and offered to prepare eggs or waffles, and served customers when their food was ready. All this time, the rest of the crew seemed to prefer clearing dirty tables over helping customers who were actually there. That made me wonder, shouldn't they focus on helping the people who are actually sitting there?

Anyway, I cut short the stay to two nights and moved over to the Grand Hyatt. The rooms are tiny, but I really liked the place better overall.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 5:17 am

Sounds like the change in management (2 hotel managers in 5 months) has taken its toll.

Evelyn and Mirna are the bright stars here.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 7:55 am

Thanks; this is disappointing, as I plan a 5 night stay at PH Melbourne immediately after the PH Sydney as a diamond. I'll be arriving quite late to PH Melbourne and will probably get stuck with a basic room.

Hope these reviews also find their way to TripAdvisor, as PH is currently the 10th best hotel in Melbourne.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.