Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Melbourne REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2014, 9:02 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by carmy
I booked a four-night stay here using the Gourmet Delights package about two weeks ago. Maybe it was because I just arrived from the Park Hyatt Sydney, but this hotel was such a disappointment, both hardware and software wise.

At arrival, I asked if it were possible to get a room with a view of the cathedral, and told the check-in agent I would be happy to use a DSU. Without checking, she just said she had none of those rooms left and the one I had was already one of the best. She also made no mention of any of the Diamond benefits, or the opening hours of the lounge, or breakfast, and seemed eager to send me on my way. In fact, midway through the check-in process while I was still asking a few questions, she looked over me to the guy behind and shouted "I'll be with you in a few seconds as soon as I'm done with him." Not a good start.

The room was fine, but was extremely dated. Some of the furniture should have been thrown out 10 years ago, but I suppose if you keep it another 10 it might look fashionable again. A friend told me the carpet is only a few years old, in which case I really cannot help but wonder why they chose such an awful pattern? I suppose it does go with the overall look though.

As others have mentioned, no welcome card from the hotel manager and no letter introducing the club offerings.

Headed to the club, where Mona and Evelyn were absolute sweethearts, and well deserving of the many kudos they have received from other posters here. They made small talk with everyone in the club, cleared old plates, offered refills, and generally did much more than they should.

Breakfast at the Radii restaurant made me feel like I was in some budget Bangkok hotel, with the neon lights at the corner and harried staff. The manager who took us to our seats turned away and left after we were seated, not bothering to ask about coffee. We sat there for a while, unsure if we were supposed to wait for somebody to take our coffee orders or just help ourselves to the food. Eventually, he returned about 15 minutes later, and asked us if we wanted a coffee. Mind you, the restaurant had five occupied tables at most, as it was almost 10 and most people had left. The servers mostly looked like students on a holiday job, admittedly something like I was when I was a bored 17-year-old waiting to enter college.

The chef at the hot food counter was an absolute star though. He was proactive and offered to prepare eggs or waffles, and served customers when their food was ready. All this time, the rest of the crew seemed to prefer clearing dirty tables over helping customers who were actually there. That made me wonder, shouldn't they focus on helping the people who are actually sitting there?

Anyway, I cut short the stay to two nights and moved over to the Grand Hyatt. The rooms are tiny, but I really liked the place better overall.
Appreciate the update on your experience^
I wont likely be going back here anytime soon for a number of reasons
I too did the bulk of my stay at the Grand Hyatt.Its so sad to read your post.
However its group therapy to know that it wasn't just me.

There are a number of better hotels in Melbourne The Hilton South Wharf is better, the Westin Melbourne and the Grand Hyatt.
The hotel while still nice enough from an accommodations perspective is in dire need of good management. It once was a star in Melbourne with true VIP recognition for elites.
Back in the day (many years ago now) the Front Office manager would meet and greet much like the Park Hyatt Sydney. Except that the upgrade would have wow factor.
No DSU necessary

The dining room with the closed club lounge was the final deal breaker.
Young but nice kids clueless to service without supervision and a selection of Coles supermarket bread white and whole wheat elegantly presented
with some croissants and below average muffins tossed in. In a true 5 star hotel?
Meager compared to the Grand Hyatt.
I'm not sure why they don't move the buffet food over from the Grand Hyatt and give up especially as the same F&B management is responsible for both operations.
Hopefully in time someone will revive/refresh the property

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Apr 30, 2014 at 4:56 pm
Old Apr 30, 2014, 4:38 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by joetro
Thanks; this is disappointing, as I plan a 5 night stay at PH Melbourne immediately after the PH Sydney as a diamond. I'll be arriving quite late to PH Melbourne and will probably get stuck with a basic room.

Hope these reviews also find their way to TripAdvisor, as PH is currently the 10th best hotel in Melbourne.
No Diamond member at the PHM gets a base room.

I'm yet to heR one report of a Diamond not bring automatically upgraded to a Club Deluxe which is the size of a suite.

I always order hot food from the chef and it never disappoints.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by joetro
Thanks; this is disappointing, as I plan a 5 night stay at PH Melbourne immediately after the PH Sydney as a diamond. I'll be arriving quite late to PH Melbourne and will probably get stuck with a basic room.

Hope these reviews also find their way to TripAdvisor, as PH is currently the 10th best hotel in Melbourne.
I think if you are non elite the expectation of an upgraded room and a high quality breakfast and service standards becomes less important as its not an expectation.
For my taste the accommodations at the Park Hyatt Melbourne are certainly satisfactory/comfortable. I enjoyed the room in fact despite some issues
On the other hand
I would definitely rate the Park Hyatt Sydney vastly superior in everyway
If you are non elite you can go to many outstanding places for breakfast and not deal with such amateur service behavior and avoid the experience.

I think I speak for many when I say most Diamonds come in with an expectation of a full breakfast or club lounge continental
Not a sub par continental in the restaurant with closed club lounge in the mornings and be told to pay up for hot food
after hundreds of thousands in spending with the brands for some of us.

In a nut shell if you are non elite from an accommodations perspective I still think the Park Hyatt Melbourne holds its own fairly.
As a Diamond when leaving Park Hyatt Sydney and Grand Hyatt Melbourne I always walk away feeling grateful for my relationship with Hyatt
With Park Hyatt Melbourne I feel like I did them a favor for staying there
Your Mileage may vary! They have their fans still
Old Apr 30, 2014, 7:37 pm

I'm just not sure how this property is worthy of the park hyatt name? I've stayed in quite a few, and this is certainly not up to par. Its look and feel reminds me much more of an aging doubletree, regency, or Sheraton.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 7:57 pm

I'm just not sure how this property is worthy of the park hyatt name? I've stayed in quite a few, and this is certainly not up to par. Its look and feel reminds me much more of an aging doubletree, regency, or Sheraton.
I'd give the property more credit than that. I think it still looks reasonably well. You could do far worse IMHO
I think the focal points here are
• Diamond recognition
• Breakfast benefit and offerings generally
• Club lounge hours
• Up keep
• Service Standards (dining room needs the most attention)

The Hilton does an exciting breakfast and so does the Grand Hyatt
Old Apr 30, 2014, 7:59 pm
wpj

Programs: AA EXP 3.2MM, Hyatt Courtesy Card/Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold
100% agree
Old Apr 30, 2014, 8:07 pm

sheesh
I wont mention some other Hyatt's here but you would be in for a rude awaking if this property is perceived being thought of like an aging Doubletree!
I like the beds here too
Old Apr 30, 2014, 9:15 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
I would definitely rate the Park Hyatt Sydney vastly superior in everyway
You are probably right but Park Hyatt Sydney is at least 3 times more expensive, maybe one of the most expensive hotel in the world (well, maybe not the world but Australia at least)... not really the same league...
Old Apr 30, 2014, 10:29 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
The Doubletree argument is silly. Show me other properties that auto upgrade their top tier guests 100% of the time in Australia, let alone worldwide.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
You are probably right but Park Hyatt Sydney is at least 3 times more expensive, maybe one of the most expensive hotel in the world (well, maybe not the world but Australia at least)... not really the same league...
Couldn't completely disagree with you however the cost is and isn't the real culprit here as the Park Hyatt Melbourne.
Its management and the lack of desire to get the better talent based on wages they are willing to pay.
If the Hilton can do it and the Grand Hyatt can do it so can the Park Hyatt
They have been there before. The Westin Melbourne has an extraordinary manager in Debra Watts perhaps one of the top 20 GMs in the world
All priced the same or lower than the PH Melbourne

The Park Hyatt Melbourne had at one point a stellar past when the likes of Marc von Arnim was the front office manager now the GM
of Park Hyatt Busan. He deserves his promotion. Wish we could bring him back
He was/is a fantastic fellow that looked after guests above and beyond.He also worked at Park Hyatt Sydney years past pre-renovation.
I knew him from Hyatt Regency Perth. So they do have the resources for talent/human resources

Those were the years that the PH Melbourne ran very well. Mr.von Arnim had some mighty fine colleagues before and after him as well.
Looking back I paid 195 Australian a night at the PH Sydney in the late 90s And for years 250 on stay certificates no tax!
Sure glad I stayed in the glory years of great value and experience
Those days are gone we got to move along................ oh well

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Apr 30, 2014 at 11:33 pm
Old May 2, 2014, 12:34 pm

Booked a stay at ph melbourne with c/p. what's the breakfast arrangement now? they do have a club lounge - is breakfast there?
Old May 2, 2014, 8:47 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by yerffej201
Booked a stay at ph melbourne with c/p. what's the breakfast arrangement now? they do have a club lounge - is breakfast there?
If you're Diamond or book a Club Room there is a club lounge, but it only serves breakfast on Sundays. Every other day of the week you have breakfast in Radii, and they sometimes charge an extra $8 food you order from the chef. In my view, it's well worth paying for.

There are hot items available as part of the buffet, regardless.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:53 am

Programs: AA EXPLAT, HYATT GLOBALIST, AS75K

Advice from the experts: I'm in Melbourne from noon July 29 to my 9 AM flight the next day with my wife. We'd love to catch the flavor of the city. Should I stay at the Park Hyatt For 220 Australian (elite rate) or cash and points at the Grand Hyatt (their night rate is 335 so it's C & P or nothing)
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:55 am

Programs: AA EXPLAT, HYATT GLOBALIST, AS75K

So sorry -- forgot to mention I'm a Diamond and we will be cabbing/ubering it back and forth from MEL
Old Jun 3, 2014, 11:56 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

The PH is way better than the GH, but for one night it might not matter that much to you. The location of the GH might be a bit more convenient, although it's only about a 5-10minute walk between the properties.

For one night I would probably go for the cheapest option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.