Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Melbourne REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2013, 10:58 pm
Used to be 'thiti'

Programs: UA-PP 1MM, Hyatt-Globalist, Bonvoy-LT Titanium, Hertz-Pres Cir
XX57 is one of my favorite configurations at this hotel!

I think breakfast quality at PH Sydney is considerably better than PH Melbourne and there is no $8 up charge in Sydney.
Old May 18, 2013, 1:18 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by thiti
XX57 is one of my favorite configurations at this hotel!

I think breakfast quality at PH Sydney is considerably better than PH Melbourne and there is no $8 up charge in Sydney.
PH SYD doesn't have a club lounge. That's the distinction.
Old May 18, 2013, 3:55 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Air New Zealand Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by carmy
Is it just me or does it seem a bit cheap of this property to charge diamonds $8 for having hot food at breakfast? I realize it's entirely within its rights to do so, but just seems a little stingy.
Carmy i think you're right. I think spirit is a big part of this. That said, I don't think I've been charged the $8 for full breakfast when I've chosen it.

This is a hotel I spend a lot of time at. I concur that the rooms are dated, I agree that the breakfast is nothing special (certainly not close to the exceptional breakfasts at hotels such as LM BKK) but there's something about this hotel that keeps me very, very satisfied.

If I were to characterise it, I'd simply say it feels like home.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 8:00 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
I've been handed this at check-in (first dot point):

http://imgur.com/UGU3ByN

I thought this issue was resolved but apparently not.

Originally Posted by Gold Passport Concierge
Hi MSPeconomist,

In the event a hotel offers a breakfast buffet, in addition to breakfast menu options, it is at the hotel’s discretion to offer Diamond members the buffet or full breakfast inclusive of one entrée, juice and coffee (tax, gratuity and service charges included). When offered, the buffet option provided to Diamond members is to include the full buffet , including hot items. Standard buffet options, however, do not include Seasonal or special buffets (i.e., Mother’s Day, Easter, etc.).

Gold Passport Concierge
Originally Posted by Gold Passport Concierge
Dear FlyerTalkers,

We’ve heard rumblings that there’s some confusion about the breakfast benefit for Diamond members when Regency Club/Grand Club access is not available. To provide clarity, we’ve come up with a standard definition so Diamond members know exactly what to expect when staying with us.

When Regency Club/Grand Club access is unavailable or when a Hyatt does not have a Regency Club/Grand Club, members receive complimentary daily full breakfast inclusive of one entrée (or standard breakfast buffet), juice and coffee (tax, gratuity and service charges included) for each registered guest in the room, maximum four people.

For complete program details including program terms and conditions, visit goldpassport.com.

Sincerely,

Hyatt Gold Passport Customer Service
Unfortunately, Hyatt Gold Passport's "When . . . access is unavailable . . ." is not reflected in the actual program T&Cs which only refers to periods of high demand. So, by the rules, it seems there's no room to move on the $8 upcharge.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 8:32 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by danger
I've been handed this at check-in (first dot point):

http://imgur.com/UGU3ByN

I thought this issue was resolved but apparently not.

Unfortunately, Hyatt Gold Passport's "When . . . access is unavailable . . ." is not reflected in the actual program T&Cs which only refers to periods of high demand. So, by the rules, it seems there's no room to move on the $8 upcharge.
In a nutshell I have always perceived that when an Executive Club lounge is open in a Hyatt Full Service hotel good or bad that is the offering period
for the Diamond breakfast benefit.
If it is an overly crowded lounge with no place to sit or the offerings are unusually poor I might ask for an exception with an alternative option
which in some very rare occasions has happened.
Some concerns/situations are not in the terms and conditions and fall into the gray area and are simply unscripted.
One must be fair to the hotels and the hotels in return in a perfect world should be working towards pleasing their frequent elite guests especially
if there is any kind of deviation from the normal terms and expectation.

If I understand this correctly the Park Hyatt Melbourne is offering in addition to Club Lounge access when the club is open a full buffet breakfast
for an additional 8 dollars per day per person?
I consider that to be very fair. Now if the lounge is closed for any reason I would expect not to pay any upcharge at all and to receive my choice of buffet
or the ability to order off the menu within reason in the restaurant as well as receive bonus points for a closed lounge.
Hopefully with my lack of sleep last night I have understood the scenario above and have shed some light on topic
Cheers

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Jun 13, 2013 at 8:39 am
Old Jun 13, 2013, 8:40 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
If I understand this correctly the Park Hyatt Melbourne is offering in addition to Club Lounge access when the club is open a full buffet breakfast
for an additional 8 dollars per day per person?
Not quite. The lounge is not open for breakfast except on Sundays, so Monday through Saturday breakfast is offered in the hotel's restaurant. Diamonds get their breakfast there but the PH Melbourne's interpretation is to extend this Diamond perk only as far as a continental spread, charging another $8 for the full buffet.

(As an aside, I don't think the bonus points for lounge closure comes into play as the lounge is open at al times, including for the evening drinks and canapés. It's the breakfast benefit that has been a sticking point for some.)
Old Jun 13, 2013, 9:02 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Not quite. The lounge is not open for breakfast except on Sundays, so Monday through Saturday breakfast is offered in the hotel's restaurant. Diamonds get their breakfast there but the PH Melbourne's interpretation is to extend this Diamond perk only as far as a continental spread, charging another $8 for the full buffet.

(As an aside, I don't think the bonus points for lounge closure comes into play as the lounge is open at al times, including for the evening drinks and canapés. It's the breakfast benefit that has been a sticking point for some.)
Thank You for the clarification
I agree its a bit petty but IMHO but even more so if the lounge is in fact closed the rest of the day after breakfast is served in the dining room.
If it promptly reopens throughout the day I personally would see no issue with the charge.8 dollars barely generates a blip on the radar screen these days

Though the Park Hyatt Melbourne has a number of fans I left years ago to other area properties as the hotel was failing on a number of levels especially for a Park Hyatt standard.
Mohamed and other frequent travelers I hear from have shared a passion for the hotel and an uptick in service and experience in more recent years
Notably the former GM has moved on which has been a very positive move.
I am reconsidering giving the hotel another try

After 30 plus years with Hyatt I have a habit of looking the other way if the hotel is providing good service, recognition and value in all or most other ways.
There are the rare and select hotels that try and micro manage reinvent the Hyatt terms and conditions.
Depending on the stay/ situation and experience I decide what I wish to pursue based on the individual experience
Life has taught me dotting every I and crossing every T sometimes you may win the battle and in the end lose the war
And it has certainly happened to me over some principal kind of stuff for lack of better words
Old Jun 13, 2013, 9:35 am

The $8 upcharge is petty-very petty-considering this is a PH, that Diamonds are the chain's best customers and $8 is "barely a blip on the screen." The hotel must really be hurting for revenue to incur the fallout and ill will this petty $8 generates.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by JetAway
The $8 upcharge is petty-very petty-considering this is a PH, that Diamonds are the chain's best customers and $8 is "barely a blip on the screen." The hotel must really be hurting for revenue to incur the fallout and ill will this petty $8 generates.
I agree. This struck me as incredibly lame. And just so you all know we are being treated equally, my Courtesy Card status did nothing to thwart their upcharge.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 6:53 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I queried this with my PL agent and was informed that the property does have the right to charge this amount.

It was a rather convoluted response, but it said something like we are entitled to full breakfast when there is no lounge, however the property has a lounge and chooses to serve breakfast in the restaurant.

To be honest, I would still prefer to pay $8 here for a restaurant quality hot breakfast than the $22? upcharge at the GH down the road for Club guests and Diamonds.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 11:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Gold Passport, Shangri-la Golden Circle
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Notably the former GM has moved on which has been a very positive move. I am reconsidering giving the hotel another try
The new GM of Park Hyatt Melbourne is Jenny Soo, who was previously the Director of Sales and Marketing at Andaz Shanghai.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by kuponuts
The new GM of Park Hyatt Melbourne is Jenny Soo, who was previously the Director of Sales and Marketing at Andaz Shanghai.
Where is this info from? I just emailed the GM and he is still there.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 7:39 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

The welcome letter is still signed by Sholto Smith, resident manager.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 7:50 am

The welcome letter is still signed by Sholto Smith, resident manager.
Great, he is a wonderful GM.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 8:36 am

I find the $8 petty too. Considering u pay 300 plus for the night and a diamond elite. GH costs the same but this place is obviously better

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.