Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Melbourne REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2012, 5:02 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Originally Posted by m0hamed
I am said gym bunny who pays to access the GH gym while enjoying the PH pool
I note you didn't class yourself as "aesthetically pleasing".
Old Sep 16, 2012, 5:47 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Who are you calling a gym bunny?
I appreciate the vote of confidence in the property.
I know for some time years ago the hotel had a steady vocal group of unhappy customers.

Yeah, I remember a few years ago somebody on FT bagging it to hell, recounting being chased out of the Lounge by the GM (despite being a Diamond with a stack of stays under their belt) - just hopeless stuff. Those days are gone, I rate it as my favourite hotel in Australia and I've stayed in pretty much all of them.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 6:10 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by shillard
I note you didn't class yourself as "aesthetically pleasing".
I presume, as a male, I would not be 'aesthetically pleasing' to you

As for chased out of the club lounge, I'd love to see that!
Old Sep 26, 2012, 7:22 am

As a Diamond, book the PH and keep the suite upgrade. You will upgraded without asking to a Club Deluxe which is 55 sq metres. When making the reservation call the property and ask for one with a fireplace (there are over 33 room types).

Using the suite upgrade will get you a room 5 sq meters larger, and the only difference is a frosted door separating the rooms. They do, however, have views over the Cathdedral that is stunning. If it's warm, use the upgrade and politely request a terrace suite.

You will receive club access that is self serve with a decent selection of canapés, and other than Sunday you get full breakfast in Radii. You will also receive a bottle of wine and some nuts with a handwritten card from the GM. The Red wine can be swapped for White by calling room service.

The steam and sauna are segregated, but the pool and spa are quite stunning.

The suites at the GH are big, but it's a huge, corporate hotel. The pool has no windows and is rather unpleasant, it feels like youre in the basement. The PH is more boutique, with exceptional service and understated elegance.
m0hamed thanks for the excellent recommendation. We had a great holiday stay at the Park Hyatt and loved the hotel, the club lounge and the pool. I personally think this hotel is much better than Westin and GH MEl.

thanks for you recommendation and for everyone else I will recommend this hotel for a great family stay and a nice getaway. The aspect that I really liked was that this hotel was really spacious even though being in the Melbourne city centre.

Cheers
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Fly paid F and J. AA EXP. DL PM.
I will be visiting Melbourne next month. I like the gym and pool at the Park Hyatt and would like to stay there again. Do all the rooms have the multi-shower head walk-in showers or did I luck out with a good room last time I stayed there?
Old Dec 13, 2012, 2:36 pm

Blame your luck - only some rooms have the multi-head configuration.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
If I paid the Hyatt Daily Rate for this hotel and then used points to upgrade to a suite, would I likely be granted lounge access? I'm a lowly Platinum and am trying to figure out if it makes sense to go about things that way as opposed to burning points for a stay.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA (PLATINUM), HHonors (DIAMOND)

Grand Hyatt is much nicer and has an amazing club lounge that you can upgrade to.

Last edited by flyer121; Jan 13, 2013 at 7:15 pm
Old Jan 13, 2013, 3:52 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by steveholt
If I paid the Hyatt Daily Rate for this hotel and then used points to upgrade to a suite, would I likely be granted lounge access? I'm a lowly Platinum and am trying to figure out if it makes sense to go about things that way as opposed to burning points for a stay.
You are better off using 3,000 GP points to upgrade to a Club Deluxe King which is the same size and layout of a suite, without the frosted door separating the living room and bedroom. This would guarantee Club access. Breakfast is provided in Radii every day other than Sunday which is a great benefit.

Originally Posted by flyer121
Grand Hyatt is much nicer and has an amazing club lounge that our can upgrade to.
This is like comparing Apples and Oranges. The Park Hyatt is a top tier, more exclusive hotel with a high end clientele. It's focus is on luxury and exceptional service.

The Grand Hyatt is slicker and modern, however is a monster city hotel. The club breakfast leaves a lot to be desired and the pool area is sad with no windows.

If using a suite upgrade the the Grand Suites at the GH are larger, but soulless.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 5:19 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

You are better off using 3,000 GP points to upgrade to a Club Deluxe King which is the same size and layout of a suite, without the frosted door separating the living room and bedroom. This would guarantee Club access. Breakfast is provided in Radii every day other than Sunday which is a great benefit.

This is like comparing Apples and Oranges. The Park Hyatt is a top tier, more exclusive hotel with a high end clientele. It's focus is on luxury and exceptional service.

The Grand Hyatt is slicker and modern, however is a monster city hotel. The club breakfast leaves a lot to be desired and the pool area is sad with no windows.

If using a suite upgrade the the Grand Suites at the GH are larger, but soulless.
I'm back at the Grand Hyatt in that souless hotel with those non luxury types
The hotel also sent me a holiday greeting card with a pre-welcome back for my upcoming arrival.They wowed me last year
Hope they keep up with the fantatsic team and experience of my last stay
It meets every one of my needs in a great location from the Club lounge, dining right down to my fitness needs.

The stay was so good last year I decided to not stay at all at the Hilton Southwharf,The Westin or the Park Hyatt
Id like to see the Grand Hyatt more upgrade friendly to Diamonds without suite confirmables as do some other hotels in the area for top tier members

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Jan 13, 2013 at 5:45 pm
Old Jan 13, 2013, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
I'm back at the Grand Hyatt in that souless hotel with those non luxury types
The hotel also sent me a holiday greeting card with a pre-welcome back for my upcoming arrival.They wowed me last year
Hope they keep up with the fantatsic team and experience of my last stay
It meets every one of my needs in a great location from the Club lounge, dining right down to my fitness needs.

The stay was so good last year I decided to not stay at all at the Hilton Southwharf,The Westin or the Park Hyatt
Id like to see them more upgrade friendly to Diamonds without confirmables as do some other hotels in the area for top tier members
Have you ever not received an upgrade at the PH to a Club Deluxe? I 100% agree that the gym is better at the PH, but the pool is horrid.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 5:45 pm

Have you ever not received an upgrade at the PH to a Club Deluxe? I 100% agree that the gym is better at the PH , but the pool is horrid.
When the Park Hyatt Melbourne was at the top of their game or as close as they came to that pinnacle they routinely upgraded Diamonds to suites on points or revenue based upon availability
It appears they have since stopped that practice?
At least they have a new GM @ the PH Mel the former really needed to retire/move on
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:22 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
How is the GH better than the PH in MEL?
+ Club lounge nice
+ Upgrades as a Diamond better 90% of what I got as a SPG Plat (Ambassador)

Is it the gym? Better treatment of top tier?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by YYCOllie
+ Club lounge nice

At the PH the club lounge staff Evelyn and Mirna will remember you after your first night, and attend to your every whim. Alcohol in the lounge is free pour.

The Swimming Pool is one of the most of beautiful indoor pools in any hotel.

This property is all about exceptional, anticipated service and understated luxury. Once I spilt coffee on my suit pants as I got out of a cab, and an hour before my event. Front desk said to immediately change into something else once I walked into my room. 5 mins later a maid appeared. Within 20 minutes my pants were returned, cleaned and ironed. That is what you can expect from a Park Hyatt.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by YYCOllie
+ Club lounge nice

As you know everything is subjective based on individual preferences
To start with I am a lifetime Platinum with SPG.I didn't limit my business because with Starwood because I wasn't being upgraded.
I left because I felt many of the hotels charged high prices and the experience was inconsistent and didn’t return enough value.
Also SPG appeared to be no longer listening to guests as they had in the past or reacting.
Sure they have their properties of excellence and those are the only ones I stay in now.
I return to the Westin Sydney again a great property
In Melbourne there is only the Westin.
Even though it has one of the best GMs I have ever met in my life there is no club lounge.
Also for those chasing suites at the property there are very few suites perhaps about 3.The hotel was designed as a residential property with a limited hotel space as nice as it is.

The Grand Hyatt Melbourne has the following attributes as of last year in my own experience
Polished professional heartfelt team.
More recent move to employ more Australians over heavy employment of international interns making the hotel seem more attached to the city and country culturally.
The property feels Australian in spirit again. I love that.
A really good GM and management team
Solid food and beverage throughout the hotel including room service with one of the best Regency Clubs I have ever experienced

I know I will get stoned for this but shy of presentation I found the quality of most offerings to be superior to the over hyped and praised Grand Hyatt Hong Kong in every regard
The rooms are to my liking generally not great but fully satisfactory.
This next stay I am confirmed in a suite. The renovation didn’t go far enough but it works fair enough
A well equipped Fitness center with once again a great helpful team on board and its kept very clean
The equipment are all high quality and name brand professional standard
Some here have complained about the pool however being I never use it I can’t confirm or deny what they are unhappy with.
I can find better accommodations and upgrades elsewhere In Melbourne

Where the Grand Hyatt has differentiated itself is by creating a better stay experience with what matters most.
The Park Hyatt has a new GM and the rooms were built far more recently than the Grand Hyatt. If it’s only about a more spacious room or suite the park Hyatt sometimes can trump for some all
the other advantages. I’ve routinely been in many Melbourne properties over the past 15 years
The Grand Hyatt Melbourne was my first property in Melbourne I never thought I would be back with all the new properties that have opened yet I am back and it’s my hotel of choice again

I was a huge fan of the Southwharf Hilton for awhile but they let me down in a few key areas and the Grand Hyatt Melbourne wowed me last year.
Ill see how it goes this year at the Grand.Hopefully lightening strikes again

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.