Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Melbourne REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Melbourne REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2013, 9:28 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by m0hamed
Where is this info from? I just emailed the GM and he is still there.
Sorry for the confusion and lack of clarity on my part. We are probably referring to different GMs
Mr. Dawson replaced his position and I'll assume been there 4 years or so
If I understand correctly it's already been some years since Arthur Holliger left the hotel. Its been years since I stopped staying at the property
Certainly not alone in my feelings or experiences if you look back historically at the data. He pulled off quite some feats
Including turning one wing into a post recovery hospital for new borns.

In one of the nicest and friendly hospitable cities in the world under his leadership his in house policies and quality assurance standards upset
a number of Frequent Travelers many of them Hyatt Gold Passport guests.

It wasn't horrible or terrible its just that IMHO there are some fantastic hotels in that region and they really make a guest feel welcome and appreciated.
At one time years ago I considered the property to be one of the gold standard properties of Hyatt Hotels

I do understand that some things are out of a GMs control. The bigger problem here was making no attempt to apologize and make improvements
or respond to guests unless one went through Hyatt Consumer Affairs
When I can avoid that kind of business behavior I personally prefer simply choose another hotel and I did for many years afterwards.

The 8 dollar upcharge would not upset me if the lounge clearly was open had nice offerings throughout the day otherwise and the breakfast itself was top shelf in the restaurant
Though the policy is not in keeping with the Hyatt Touch many of have come to know even if it crosses a gray area.

http://www.spicenews.com.au/2009/11/...l#.UbsuYpwyB8E

http://www.epworth.org.au/Our-Servic...Park-Hyatt.pdf
Old Jun 14, 2013, 9:39 am

I wonder who decided to impose the $8 up charge-the GM or the hotel owners (I assume Hyatt is only managing this property)? Perhaps a new GM can re-visit this inhospitable policy.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by JetAway
I wonder who decided to impose the $8 up charge-the GM or the hotel owners (I assume Hyatt is only managing this property)? Perhaps a new GM can re-visit this inhospitable policy.
The former GM had left the property approx 2009 and the current one remains who I assume set the new policy
Old Jun 14, 2013, 10:06 pm
Used to be 'thiti'

Programs: UA-PP 1MM, Hyatt-Globalist, Bonvoy-LT Titanium, Hertz-Pres Cir
Sadly, Sholto is leaving the property and will run the PH Siem Reap. I had a farewell coffee with him... He is such a true gentleman. I am sure he will succeed.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 6:54 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
My stay was nonetheless very comfortable. The lounge has an awesome ambience and is a great place to relax in the evening. My room was spacious and well-appointed with the gas log fire which was particularly appreciated given the very cold Melbourne weather. I look forward to returning.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 10:39 am

I have no status. Is it worth it to pay an extra 3000 points a night for four nights for lounge access? It's 15k points vs 18k points. I'm unclear what I'm getting as these posts seem to be about diamonds and I'm not sure if booking a club room with points is the same thing.

Sorry if a dumb question.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by growlers
I have no status. Is it worth it to pay an extra 3000 points a night for four nights for lounge access? It's 15k points vs 18k points. I'm unclear what I'm getting as these posts seem to be about diamonds and I'm not sure if booking a club room with points is the same thing.

Sorry if a dumb question.
I would in a heart beat if I was in your shoes
On the other hand if I wasn't satisfied with the offerings in the club I'd ask for a downgrade while on property on the following day
Because the club is not open for breakfast I'd want to know if Cont breakfast is included.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 11:47 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
I am quite sure the continental breakfast will be included. I have been upgrade as a Plat (so just a nice-comp not mandatory upgrade) to the lounge floor and I got continental breakfast at the restaurant...
Old Jun 19, 2013, 5:23 am

Ok, great - thanks guys.

My wife likes something to eat in the morning, and I find it a waste of time - so if there is a continental breakfast I think that alone is worth it or she will spend way more than that dragging me somewhere outside the hotel.
Whatever the evening alcohol situation is will be a bonus.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
We recently spent 4 days at this property and overall enjoyed our stay very much.

Arrival: We arrived by taxi and our bags were promptly sent up to our room. Checkin was unremarkable. However, we were not walked to our suite nor to the elevators, which was not ideal as we had to walk back to the front desk to ask which bank of elevators we were supposed to take.

Room: We had booked a Park Suite and were upgraded to a spacious speciality suite (which seems to be a possible Diamond upgrade per others in this thread). We loved the room layout and the views. The decor went beyond the usual Park Hyatt understated luxury, but worked quite well for us. Bath amenities were Aesop, while judging from the maid carts, yes they do have maid carts, the standard amenities are Le Labo 22 now. Maid service was a little hit or miss, something always seemed to be missing. Especially at turndown where I don't think we once received water, ice, and towels the same night. One of the three was always missing.

Club: One of the best club lounges we have experienced, with a wide variety of food options and a generous open bar. Breakfast is served in the hotel restaurant most days. We found that the breakfast spread was a little bit lacking for a luxury property, particularly the quality of the fruit was subpar. We were never advised of an extra charge for the hot breakfast options and never charged at any rate, but we wouldn't have complained given the generous lounge offerings provided in addition to breakfast. The property definitely goes above and beyond here.

Gym: Quite nice, we loved the pool especially. Molton Brown fans can still find MB amenities in the locker rooms.

Service: Generally excellent and delivered with a smile, but they were not necessarily proactive in anticipating needs.

Location: Worked well for us, as various tram lines are within walking distance.

Overall a solid property, especially for the rate we paid. Based on reviews here, we had considered splitting our stay between the Park Hyatt and Grand Hyatt. However, after a tour of the Grand Hyatt (including a Club King and several suites) we decided to remain at the Park. The Grand Hyatt was just too big for our taste and the suites not particularly nice compared to the Park.

We wouldn't hesitate to return.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 9:23 pm

Thanks for the review I am going to try the property for a few nights
next month after many years of avoiding it.Its time to forgive!
I am already disappointed to hear that a Park Hyatt has food quality issues of any kind
It was one of the issues (food/in room dining quality) I left over years ago.
The Park Hyatt once was a Premium property in every regard in its day. There really isn't an excuse for Holiday Inn Express Hyatt Place fruit subpar or below in a 4 star plus hotel
I will also end my stay at the Grand Hyatt and draw a blow by blow comparison if anyone cares to listen
The Grand Hyatt Melbourne to its credit had exceptional produce on my last stay and service had slipped considerably from years past.
I still enjoyed my stay and very excited to be returning to one of my favorite cities in the world!
Cheers
Old Sep 8, 2013, 6:47 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
I don't get the "food quality issues" - I stayed for 3 nights last week and found the food superb as always. Fresh strawberries available for breakfast so my fuit boxes were ticked.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 8:01 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by shillard
I don't get the "food quality issues" - I stayed for 3 nights last week and found the food superb as always. Fresh strawberries available for breakfast so my fuit boxes were ticked.
I have had issues with the fruit before. Not major, but I could tell the Watermelon or Pineapple were not fresh. It's only happened once or twice and I haven't said anything.

I highly recommend the Egg Noodle Beefshin soup coupled with fries via room service. It's amazing!
Old Sep 27, 2013, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
You can get reduced price on the "Gourmet Delight" rate by using group code 21837, which is cheaper than even Early Bird rate and also includes 100 AUD food and beverage credit.

Rate Rules

$100AUD Food and Beverage credit(valid for all F&B except Minibar - once per stay) ASSOCIATE NOTES: - $100AUD F&B credit (valid once per stay - excluding minibar) - Rate includes all taxes
Terms and Conditions

Cancellation of this reservation is subject to the hotel cancellation policy.
Cancel 24h Prior Avoid One Night Chg, Deposit Req For Stes
Minimum two night stay is required. Two night stay for Gourmet Delight in December comes up as 324 AUD/night using the code, compared with 395 AUD/night without.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm
You can get reduced price on the "Gourmet Delight" rate by using group code 21837, which is cheaper than even Early Bird rate and also includes 100 AUD food and beverage credit.

Minimum two night stay is required. Two night stay for Gourmet Delight in December comes up as 324 AUD/night using the code, compared with 395 AUD/night without.
I picked up two nights there for 305 per night in Austalian dollars with the gourmet delight package
It's been many years since Ive been there and will be reviewing the entire experience from top to bottom in every regard
Looking back at the experience from the historical grand opening to present day and a comparison to the Grand Hyatt
Note to hotel watch out I will leave no stone unturned
Mohamed raves about this property so I am going primarily on his endorsement / kudos over the Grand Hyatt

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.