Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Melbourne REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Melbourne REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2013, 3:47 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Catweazle
Tossing up between this and the Hilton South Wharf for a Sunday night in May. Hilton cheaper, but Hyatt closer to ACU (have to be there 8am Monday morning). Do all rooms have that spa bath with TV?
Do you have status with either?

I have stayed in both hotels. The Hilton South Wharf does have Yarra views BUT the location is really bad, near freeways. Nothing around it except a discount mall. I was delayed 20+mins while the bellboy went to fetch a cab from the main road. The HSF feels cold (personality wise) and lacks substance.

I prefer the PH. As for ACU, you could walk from the PH, definitely not from the HSW.

Email the PH about the tv as not all rooms have a spa.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 11:38 am

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
Before leaving had a nice chat with the GM. A refurbishment was started this year (2013) on the rooms. When asked how I was getting to the GH offered the PH car for transfer. The PH is in good hands.
Interesting... are some rooms already renovated?
Old May 16, 2013, 9:47 am

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
Just had a nice stay here... here's a picture of our view.. that cathedral sure is huge! (This pic is from the 17th floor.)
Old May 16, 2013, 8:04 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Is that 1751?
Old May 16, 2013, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by m0hamed
Is that 1751?
I should have put the room number. That's 1757 -- at the end of the hall.
Old May 16, 2013, 10:28 pm

Is it just me or does it seem a bit cheap of this property to charge diamonds $8 for having hot food at breakfast? I realize it's entirely within its rights to do so, but just seems a little stingy.
Old May 17, 2013, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by bworrell
I should have put the room number. That's 1757 -- at the end of the hall.
Typo, I meant 57!
Old May 17, 2013, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by carmy
Is it just me or does it seem a bit cheap of this property to charge diamonds $8 for having hot food at breakfast? I realize it's entirely within its rights to do so, but just seems a little stingy.
To be fair, it is an exceptional breakfast. It's better than the GH that charges $22, I think!
Old May 17, 2013, 6:08 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by carmy
It's very cheap, and IMHO, it's against the spirit of the Diamond "full" breakfast benefit, even if it isn't against the rules.

What's puzzling (and sad) is that the PH Melbourne exceeds my expectations in almost every other way, except for this recent niggling issue.
Old May 17, 2013, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by m0hamed
To be fair, it is an exceptional breakfast. It's better than the GH that charges $22, I think!
Maybe I am too spoiled with all the Asian properties, but don't think that the breakfast is by any means exceptional.
Old May 17, 2013, 9:46 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Plat, Centurion, too many airlines
Originally Posted by holtju2
Maybe I am too spoiled with all the Asian properties, but don't think that the breakfast is by any means exceptional.
+1. It was good... but far from blown away. Nowhere near the level of PHT or even PH Shanghai.
Old May 17, 2013, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
I enjoyed a one night stay here about a month ago, my first time to MEL.

I was upgraded to an absolutely massive suite on the top floor with closets and bathroom that rivaled many homes. Doors just kept leading to more, down one hallway I found an entire kitchen with full sized refrigerator.

Service was cheerful, helpful and most excellent. Overall the property and room appeared a bit dated, but still quite nice. Even though it was a wonderful experience, the entire thing really felt like a nice Grand Hyatt versus a Park Hyatt. I get the feeling that in many of these tier two markets, Hyatt is branding Grand's as Park's. Another example: ORD. Whereas in tier one markets (TYO, SHA, PAR), the Park Hyatt's truly stand out as something special.

Things I really enjoyed:

- Service (front desk staff)
- Club lounge (rare for a PH, and more evidence that this was designed as a Grand Hyatt). Spread was excellent in the evenings and drink selection was great as was the service.
- Quiet (location is close to downtown but still quiet; lobby was always empty)
- Flexibility (with late check in and late check out exceeding even 4pm)
- Room service (at 4am) was quite good.
- Book through a Virtuoso agent and you will automatically receive a $100 (or $150, I can't quite recall) F&B credit plus an upgrade if available at check in, not to mention the free breakfast (see below).

Things that could be improved:

- Rooms are dated. Design is more like a Grand Hyatt - not very modern IMHO. Relatively newer properties scream Park Hyatt like in PVG and PEK.
- Breakfast buffet in the main restaurant (club only serving on weekends) was really quite poor with a lack of selections and terrible service. I literally had to walk back to the hostess stand to attract anyone's attention.
- There appeared to be no dedicated concierge, thus the front desk staff was overworked / overcommitted in playing both roles. They did, however, keep smiling and provided quite good service even when quite busy.
- Beware that at certain times during the day, not sure how many days a week, the church next door "practices" bells which play seemingly randomly for over an hour. Even the front desk staff was jokingly complaining to me about it. If, for example, you were trying to take a nap that afternoon, you could forget it.
Old May 17, 2013, 4:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Plat, Centurion, too many airlines
Originally Posted by ainternational
I get the feeling that in many of these tier two markets, Hyatt is branding Grand's as Park's. Another example: ORD. Whereas in tier one markets (TYO, SHA, PAR), the Park Hyatt's truly stand out as something special.
I definitely think the Park Hyatt Chicago is a vastly superior property, and much more deserving of the Park name, then the PH Melbourne... I don't think of them as comparable in the least. No offense to PHM, it is a nice property, but I really love PHC.
Old May 17, 2013, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by taipeiflyer
I definitely think the Park Hyatt Chicago is a vastly superior property, and much more deserving of the Park name, then the PH Melbourne... I don't think of them as comparable in the least. No offense to PHM, it is a nice property, but I really love PHC.
Totally respect your opinion, but I wasn't really wow'ed by PH Chicago. Then again, it all depends on where you are coming from. Have you been to the PH Shanghai, Beijing or Tokyo? I really love those properties, especially Shanghai. Paris stands out as well. IMHO, all trump the PH Chicago (and MEL) by a very, very long shot.

All that said, yeah, PHM is a "nice" property. I would have felt the same about it if it was branded as a Grand Hyatt. It's fine. Just fine.

In fact, the PHM reminds me of the GH BKK and the GH TPE. Solid properties. Actually, the GH BKK, IMHO, has service levels rivaling some of the international Park's, certainly better than the PHM, but not TYO...
Old May 17, 2013, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by ainternational
Totally respect your opinion, but I wasn't really wow'ed by PH Chicago. Then again, it all depends on where you are coming from. Have you been to the PH Shanghai, Beijing or Tokyo? I really love those properties, especially Shanghai. Paris stands out as well. IMHO, all trump the PH Chicago (and MEL) by a very, very long shot.

All that said, yeah, PHM is a "nice" property. I would have felt the same about it if it was branded as a Grand Hyatt. It's fine. Just fine.

In fact, the PHM reminds me of the GH BKK and the GH TPE. Solid properties. Actually, the GH BKK, IMHO, has service levels rivaling some of the international Park's, certainly better than the PHM, but not TYO...
stayed at PH Shanghai three separate times in last 2 weeks... my only hotel in Shanghai... a magnificent property. actually just emailed the GM this afternoon praising the staff for the wonderful service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.