Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Melbourne REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Melbourne REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2016, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by Bellroy001
I stayed at the PH Melbourne last year and it was my worst stay for years. Then stayed at the GH Melbourne and was very pleased indeed.
I have absolutely no clue, how PH Melbourne qualifies being a PH.
Same thing here. I had such an awful stay at the PH and was very pleased to be at the GH.

I guess going from the PH SYD to the PH MEL didn't help either!
Old Jun 3, 2016, 8:47 pm

Programs: Accor Platinum, Marriott
I have just finished a four night stay at the PH Melbourne. First time here having had about a dozen stays at the GH over the last two years. A few comparisons are therefore in order.

Rooms. This is where the PH is clearly better. I stayed in a Park Suite King with a view of the Cathedral. Great bathroom and plenty of storage space. The suite has a pleasant set out. While the suite at the GH is certainly spacious, it can seem cavernous. Probably a consequence of when this hotel was built.

Club Lounge. Not as good as the Club at the GH. Less variety in both the food and alcohol offerings. The coffee tables between the couches are far too high for comfort!

Breakfast. Comparable to the GH but the food at the egg station needs to be kept warmer. Coffee not up to Melbourne standards.

I found the staff to be very pleasant and helpful and would stay here again when the price was better than the GH
Old Jun 3, 2016, 9:24 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Why didn't you order eggs from the chef?
Old Jun 3, 2016, 9:33 pm

Programs: Accor Platinum, Marriott
Ha ha. I did on the second morning and the omelette was great, but I was referring to the food at the counter like hash browns and tomatoes etc
Old Jun 19, 2016, 10:27 am

PH Melbourne - is 6pm unreasonable?

I am paying the GP member rate (I'm Diamond) plus a DSU at the PH Melbourne.
The rate is very inexpensive which to me means low occupancy. In fact, the rate is quite a bit less than USD 200.

I was given my 4pm check out but today I stopped by the desk and asked if tomorrow, my check out day, if I could have a 6pm check out. My flight leaves at 10:10pm and the extra two hours would be a nice bonus.

I looked online before I asked and all categories, including this type of suite, are selling. In fact, the base rate before the member discount is only AUD 285/USD 210. Again, to me, an indicator of low occupancy.

Of course I don't know this to be a fact.

The agent went behind to door to check with the manager and came back and said - no - it was not possible unless I wanted to pay 50% of my rate.

That's fine and all and well within their rights. However, I have to say when it's possible most hotels will do it as a courtesy gesture for a Diamond member.

To me, it breeds goodwill and who knows, maybe I'll bring a conference to the hotel because I was so grateful about their generosity.

It just seems kind of shortsighted if it really is possible, which to me, it is if they are willing to let me keep the room for USD 85.

If it's pre blocked to an arriving guest, would they be making offers to let me stay for USD 85?
Old Jun 19, 2016, 10:55 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by chuck1
The rate is very inexpensive which to me means low occupancy. In fact, the rate is quite a bit less than USD 200.

I was given my 4pm check out but today I stopped by the desk and asked if tomorrow, my check out day, if I could have a 6pm check out. My flight leaves at 10:10pm and the extra two hours would be a nice bonus.

I looked online before I asked and all categories, including this type of suite, are selling. In fact, the base rate before the member discount is only AUD 285/USD 210. Again, to me, an indicator of low occupancy.

The agent went behind to door to check with the manager and came back and said - no - it was not possible unless I wanted to pay 50% of my rate.

That's fine and all and well within their rights. However, I have to say when it's possible most hotels will do it as a courtesy gesture for a Diamond member.

To me, it breeds goodwill and who knows, maybe I'll bring a conference to the hotel because I was so grateful about their generosity.

It just seems kind of shortsighted if it really is possible, which to me, it is if they are willing to let me keep the room for USD 85.

If it's pre blocked to an arriving guest, would they be making offers to let me stay for USD 85?
Honestly hard to predict occupancy from rate.. I wouldn't read too much into that... hotel management yield is a very complex subject which I can't portend to understand.. you very well may be right.. Sunday's are typically slow....

However, the crux of the issue is the extended check out... it's always a YMMV situation and this hotel has decided that they are going to draw the line at 4 PM. You could HUACA but I doubt you would get the answer you want...

Who knows, perhaps all of the regular housekeepers get off at 6 PM and they would have to pay overtime to have someone clean your room if you left at 6 PM... (I know they would have turn down staff but they've got other responsibilities) I don't know... However, you could say that you're willing to pay the $85 but only if you could keep the room till 730 PM... Alternatively, you could book a spa treatment for 4 PM and then ask if you could keep the room so that you can shower and etc afterwards....

FDW
Old Jun 19, 2016, 11:11 am

Good point on the spa or negotiations until 7:30pm.
I'll try in the morning.
Not a major thing and I really don't know about occupancy.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 11:31 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
4pm is already a pretty generous policy. They have to draw the line SOMEWHERE. If the cutoff were 6pm, then why not 7?
Old Jun 19, 2016, 11:37 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
4PM is pretty max already because most other hotel properties around Asia are barely willing to even extend anything past an 2pm check out.

Unless you know the GM or an AM there, the chances are too slim.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 4:34 pm
Suspended

I think a 4 pm is generous. To echo most people, where is the line drawn if not 4?

6 pm is a stretch, by far.

I also think the logic behind "give me a free checkout and I'll bring you a conference booking" is equally a stretch...
Old Jun 19, 2016, 5:14 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Providing it's not a Sunday why don't you just vacate the room, leave your luggage downstairs and go to the club lounge which is open?

Surely this is the easiest solution.

That rate is very cheap, BTW.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 7:09 pm

Lounge is good option. Agreed on the great rate.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 11:08 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
No, they would not -- and I think that's the key question here.

You are guaranteed 4 PM by virtue of your status. You requested two hours more. The room is open -- they've so much as said that by offering it to you for a fee. I say that's poor form for a Park Hyatt.

But not entirely surprising at this particular one.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 12:04 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
You are guaranteed 4 PM by virtue of your status. You requested two hours more. The room is open -- they've so much as said that by offering it to you for a fee. I say that's poor form for a Park Hyatt.

But not entirely surprising at this particular one.
He asked, they denied.... not much more to that. If the room was really that important the small upcharge would be paid and EVERYBODY would be happy.
The suite is already free and something the hotel didn't make any extra money on. So yes, it would have been really generous for them to offer another few hours for free, but perfectly fine when they don't. The 4pm is a generous benefit that doesn't require any extension.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 8:19 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Is breakfast on Sundays complimentary in radii or must it be taken in the lounge?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.