Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Melbourne REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:37 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Arrived into MEL on QF. Immigration was a breeze. After exiting arrivals used the ANZ atm to the left before heading to right and outside for Skybus. The bus does leave about every ten minutes. Price $28 AUD for return ticket. Upon arriving at Station go to the window and let the agent know which hotel you are heading for. The agent will record this which creates the schedule for the bus. The buses seem to run a loop and I had to wait about fifteen minutes. The PH was called second on the list but was the second to last stop. I think the list is read based upon when you checked in. It took about 20 minutes before the PH stop. I found the total service from MEL well worth it. The front desk downstairs which doubles as concierge desk also made my return reservation for the GH MEL with pick-up on Russell Street side of GH.

I reached out to the PH prior to my arrival. Received a kind quick response for the GM. Upon my early arrival my upgraded room was ready. Also greeted by GM. Very professional and much appreciated. The response I got from the GH was so cold almost cxld out of that place. My very very nice upgraded room has a wonderful view of the church and quiet. Wish it was cold enough to turn the fireplace on.

The Lounge is a nice size. The frig is available at all times and there were cookies out earlier. As a Diamond breakfast is served in the lobby level restaurant. Bath amenity is Bergamote 22.

A word on QF coming in from LAX. Coming into SYD immigration has always been a pain in the you know what. If you have US Global Entry confirmed today it can indeed be used upon entry. I had a pass from my premium cabin flight so used that. No line. Was off the plane and at Station easily within one hour. Hotel 90 minutes plus little.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:07 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Sounds great
next trip I will stay again at the PH for a few nights what a breath of fresh air after the former GM
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:16 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
What does US Global Entry have to do with Australian immigration?

As I've said, the PH's service is infinitely superior.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:53 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
If you have US Global Entry then you can use the kiosks at MEL and SYD for entry into Australia. Beats the lines. QF staff onboard and other passengers in the premium cabin were not aware of this but I confirmed with the Australian immigration agent who processed me.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:55 am

This evening there were two hot items. Numerous cold items. Full on liquor available. The dessert was pretty standard.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 3:52 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
If you have US Global Entry then you can use the kiosks at MEL and SYD for entry into Australia. Beats the lines. QF staff onboard and other passengers in the premium cabin were not aware of this but I confirmed with the Australian immigration agent who processed me.
You are indeed correct, what a surprise!

It's called SmartGate here: http://www.customs.gov.au/smartgate/default.asp

We enjoy the free pour of the PH MEL. Give Evelyn and Mirna Mohamed's regards and tell them I look forward to seeing them next week!
Old Feb 13, 2013, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Stayed at the PH Melbourne for four nights last week. I have probably been there half a dozen times since mid-2000's.

The property is no longer up to international Park Hyatt standards. The rooms are getting tired looking and the lobby resembles more Regency or Grand Hyatt than PH.

Front desk forgot the entire Diamond set up. No welcome letter, no Diamond amenity, and no fruits etc. Diamonds can choose the lower tiered internet complimentary that is capped at 1 MBS. Luckily, I was able to tether using Optus and got 5 MBS. Getting the premier tier internet would have been extra 15 AUD per day.

The lounge over all is nice. The quality of the two hot items every evening is rather low, however. The cold items are better. Didn't touch the alcohol this time but at least the liquor seemed to be mid brands. Not sure about the wines.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by holtju2

The property is no longer up to international Park Hyatt standards. The rooms are getting tired looking and the lobby resembles more Regency or Grand Hyatt than PH.

Front desk forgot the entire Diamond set up. No welcome letter, no Diamond amenity, and no fruits etc. Diamonds can choose the lower tiered internet complimentary that is capped at 1 MBS. Luckily, I was able to tether using Optus and got 5 MBS. Getting the premier tier internet would have been extra 15 AUD per day.
That's very odd. Fruit is not offered, but there should be a handwritten card from the GM, a bottle of wine and some chilli nuts. Did you complain?

You do realise that the lobby is mostly marble? It may not look bling, but it is certainly expensive. I have found that while the GH common areas are blingy, the PH is about understated luxury. There is over $1 million worth of artwork in the hotel as well.

BTW, I believe that the Hyatt has instituted new policies for Diamond internet access. See this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...-per-stay.html
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:04 am

I agree the rooms are dated. Dated to the time people can smoke in their rooms. There is a burnt cig mark on the living room table and on a piece of fabric furniture. Really not acceptable. There were also a couple of other items housekeeper could have done a better job on. I try to take in whole the experience before getting too worked up. It was almost.

Took the standard internet package and it is slooooow. The slowest I have ever encountered lately. I was given a Diamond welcome letter, not offered amenity (should I have been at PH) and if fruits were a standard for this room not brought/offered. Did receive a bottle of Ingram rd Pinot Noir 2011 and "jam" jar of Parkhyatt Mix along with note from GM. His e-mail address is on the note for direct contact.

The hot item I had last night was at best warm. Considering they have a Lounge it more than makes up for any food shortcoming. It would have been better to have comp bottled water in the room absent the price tag pitch. Understated luxury suits the PH.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:02 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hilton Gold, RA, QF Gold, UA 1K

I found PH Melbourne's service is more superior than GH. It's a smaller hotel comparing with GH. Also, GH is full of business travelers (most of them will have status)...

I got everything on my stay here as a diamond last yeast (didn't renew this year) but overall, it was a great stay for me.

However, if you are looking for the service level that is computable to some Asian properties or even the US ones, I don't think Australia will be the place you will get that... The service standards here are a bit 'different'
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:19 pm

Before leaving had a nice chat with the GM. A refurbishment was started this year (2013) on the rooms. When asked how I was getting to the GH offered the PH car for transfer. The PH is in good hands.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 2:25 am

How long did the ride take? 2 mins?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 8:22 am

Little more than that. Beats walking.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 4:35 pm

I can walk it in 7 mins, but it's difficult with luggage.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 2:17 am

Programs: QF, HH
Tossing up between this and the Hilton South Wharf for a Sunday night in May. Hilton cheaper, but Hyatt closer to ACU (have to be there 8am Monday morning). Do all rooms have that spa bath with TV?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.