Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2020, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
Lounge is on the 33rd floor of the older looking Harbor Tower, the one closer to the Marriott and Convention Center. Keycard access required and staff usually ask room numbers for breakfast and happy hour. $25 fee for bringing a guest to the lounge. There's apparently 24/7 keycard access for coffee, bottled water, computer use, etc. One bank of elevators serves floors 1-4 (meeting space, pools, etc.) and floors 29-40 (there's a view bar on 40 as well as a few rooms) while the other elevator bank on the Harbor side serves floors 1-4 and the lower room locations.

Breakfast ends at 9:30 weekdays, 11:00 weekends. Every day I saw bacon and some sort of sausage, hot eggs (scrambled plus trimmings to be added), raw ham, smoked salmon, croissants/bagels/bread varieties to be toasted, some cereal, IIRC oatmeal.

Midday snacks from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm weekdays, 11:30 am to 3:30 pm weekends.

Happy hour is from 5:00 pm to 9:00 pm every day, with a selection of *free* wine and beer between 5 and 6, followed by the same wine and beer offered in the form of an honor bar from 6 to 9. Each day the food presentation includes a hot protein (cilantro chicken, grilled teriyaki salmon fillet big pieces, chicken putensca, and salmon cakes during my stay), hot mixed vegetable dish, some other cold/salad dish of the day, salad bar including slices of chicken breast, asparagus, olives, etc. with two dressings of the day, and interesting small cakes (cupcakes or pieces) for dessert.

There's a $35 plus tax resort fee (Globs exempt)

- $10 nightly F&B credit - Top of the Hyatt, Brew30, Seaview, Sally's, The Landing

- 24-Hour Fitness Center Access

- Daily 1-Hour Bicycle Usage- Wheel Fun Rentals

- One (1) Kayak or Paddleboard rental per stay

- (1) shoe shine - joey's shoe shine (no boots or suede)

- Premium High Speed Internet

- Wifi in Meeting Space for group events

- 10% Discount on Spa & Salon Services at Marilyn Monroe Spa on 3rd floor of Harbor Tower one visit per stay

- Access to hotel’s recreational courts and equipment, e.g. basketball, volleyball, and games such as giant shuffle board, Jenga, connect four, foosball, corn hole around the pool

- VIP Shopping Pass: Free and discounted items from local shops and restaurants at Seaport Village shopping center located directly outside Seaport Tower

- Rollaway Bed Rental: King rooms only

- Unlimited Phone Calls: Local & domestic long distance

- (1) 1-hr ticket for Harbor Tour per room per stay – Tour is on a modern yacht, 360 views, indoor & outdoor seating, snack bar and full service bar scenic photo opportunities

- One Craft Beer at Brew30 per room per stay

Ten minutes by taxi to/from the airport, perhaps more at rush hour. Fare was under $15 to the far end (DL, AS, UA, etc.) of the newer Terminal 2. Fare from Gaslamp area to hotel is about $7, also assuming no traffic. It's about a 20 minute walk to the Midway Museum and the cruise ship terminal/excursion boat docks.

Print Wikipost

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM; Alaska MVP100K; WOH Globalist; Bonvoy LT Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by Hikmer01
...adult beverages are limited to just beer and wine.
For spirit drinks, you have to ask one of the Grand Club staff.
Stgermainparis likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 2:25 pm

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by Maui4me1
You say you were granted club access with your Explorist benefit so I wonder how you are able to judge how good or bad a club since obviously you have very limited experience with clubs. I find the club at the Manchester Grand very good and trust me, I have been to many many clubs.
I travel for a living but would agree with your comment as I don't get hotels that have lounges all the time, however the two I am comparing are the Waikiki Hyatt Resort and the Seattle Regency Hyatt, both vastly superior to the food than the San Diego lounge.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 4:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt LIFETIME Globalist
Originally Posted by Hikmer01
I travel for a living but would agree with your comment as I don't get hotels that have lounges all the time, however the two I am comparing are the Waikiki Hyatt Resort and the Seattle Regency Hyatt, both vastly superior to the food than the San Diego lounge.
The Hyatt Regency Seattle is by far one of the best Clubs in the USA. Definitely does not compare to San Diego.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:29 am

Programs: United-1K, Marriott-Titanium Ambassador, Hyatt-Globalist
Staying here for the 6th time this year. For the 6th time in a row not even upgraded to a King room as a globalist.

I'm done staying here.

Don't know what I have to do to get upgraded beyond a two double or two queen room. Even shows availability for a King.

I'm gonna formally complain to the general manager or VIP person that emails/texts me before every stay tomorrow but I just wanted to vent. I've stayed 15ish times at the Andaz 5 blocks away and have had way better experiences.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:42 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CloneCones
Staying here for the 6th time this year. For the 6th time in a row not even upgraded to a King room as a globalist.

I'm done staying here.

Don't know what I have to do to get upgraded beyond a two double or two queen room. Even shows availability for a King.

I'm gonna formally complain to the general manager or VIP person that emails/texts me before every stay tomorrow but I just wanted to vent. I've stayed 15ish times at the Andaz 5 blocks away and have had way better experiences.
Uhm...Why not mention it at Check In? I know since you’re a Glob you expect it (and you should) but some properties like to get away with what they can. As a Globalist you should always check your same dates in the app right before check in so you know what is available and what to ask for or expect as a Globalist.

Also, I just checked and if you’re checking in tomorrow for a 1,2,3,4 or 5 night stay the Signature Suite which is a Standard Suite is available and per your status you should be able to get this upon request.

Personally I make a notation in the Comments asking for an upgrade or I email back an upgrade request when the FD emails me prior to my stay.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by Matt4200
Uhm...Why not mention it at Check In? I know since you’re a Glob you expect it (and you should) but some properties like to get away with what they can. As a Globalist you should always check your same dates in the app right before check in so you know what is available and what to ask for or expect as a Globalist.

Also, I just checked and if you’re checking in tomorrow for a 1,2,3,4 or 5 night stay the Signature Suite which is a Standard Suite is available and per your status you should be able to get this upon request.

Personally I make a notation in the Comments asking for an upgrade or I email back an upgrade request when the FD emails me prior to my stay.
I've asked and the person at the desk said there was nothing available every time. I can believe the one time since it was during a major conference.

This time I even showed the availability and they said it wasn't showing in their system. I was half tempted to book it right then and see what happened.

I've also asked in the text from the GM every time. I must have something in my profile that says I'm an a-hole or something.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 1:00 am

Well, tomorrow specifically mention the Signature Suite.

If it still shows for your dates at Check In and they still say no I’d Tweet WOH or Call them on the spot. They’ll check availability and get you upgraded if it truly is available.

Sorry for your past experiences.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 1:22 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by CloneCones
I've asked and the person at the desk said there was nothing available every time. I can believe the one time since it was during a major conference.

This time I even showed the availability and they said it wasn't showing in their system. I was half tempted to book it right then and see what happened.

I've also asked in the text from the GM every time. I must have something in my profile that says I'm an a-hole or something.
Sorry to hear of your upgrade track record here I find it odd
Its my hope that somehow you have just fallen through the cracks somehow accidentally

Please reach out to me by PM as I’d like to try and change all that for you
Unless something has drastically changed I’ve found this to be an exceptional Hyatt taking care of Globalists above and beyond
I’m available through this Tuesday morning and will connect you with the powers that be who I believe will help yield you much better results going forward.After Tuesday I’m out of town through the 7th
Have a great stay in our beautiful city
Cheers and Happy Travels
Old Oct 28, 2019, 7:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Unless something has drastically changed I’ve found this to be an exceptional Hyatt taking care of Globalists above and beyond
My experience at this property was consistent suite upgrades once that became a guaranteed Globalist benefit. The only downside is they were typically in the Seaport tower on a low floor.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 5:32 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
My experience back in my Diamond days were the opposite: upgraded one time to a corner room. I had to email the hotel and complain about the rooms (ripped carpet, no upgrade, etc.) before I even got that corner room.

I stopped staying there.
bbbb likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
My experience at this property was consistent suite upgrades once that became a guaranteed Globalist benefit. The only downside is they were typically in the Seaport tower on a low floor.
Which is fine for me, I might even prefer it because there is SeaPort village on that side as well as the burger bar and late night market. I usually stay at work until like 7pm anyway and miss out on most club festivities.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 6:52 pm

I've been staying here easily since the 90s perhaps before
I wasn't upgraded for the first 20 years other than to a high floor corner room then it all changed^
With every hotel building relationships with the front office management matters as well as holding status
The secret here folks is letting the hotel know what matters most to you before arrival.
In the case of the MGH its a huge hotel and its easy to fall into the cracks no matter what status you hold
In the past 5 years the hotel has been as good as its ever been since the Alan Randall days the former legendary GM who sadly passed away many years ago when
the second newer tower was under construction.
Contact a front office manager or reach out to a VIP coordinator which historically at least over the past 5 years has been available to Globalists here by request
Great Hotel and always my top 3 or 4 choices when choosing a hotel in SD
Let us not forget never before in history has there been more top tier members in every program be it Hyatt, Marriott etc which has exploded with elites
When you wish to receive something elite benefits wise or hoping for something more than typically expected reach out, ask politely and make your request known before arrival
You may just get what you wish for
Old Oct 28, 2019, 11:18 pm

777 -

I completely get what you’re saying and I do agree the best way is to ask before arrival. I love MGH and I agree it is a big hotel, as are many in SD.

The only thing I have an issue with is people are saying that upgraded rooms and standard suites are shown as available but the Front Desk claims none are available. The Hyatt app updates in real time (confirmed by their twitter team). And there’s no more than a 15 minute difference in rooms booked showing on the app from the hotel’s inventory. So if they claim 0 upgrades are available yet it shows multiple available that’s a big discrepancy for Globalists.

Just my two cents.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by Matt4200
777 -

I completely get what you’re saying and I do agree the best way is to ask before arrival. I love MGH and I agree it is a big hotel, as are many in SD.

The only thing I have an issue with is people are saying that upgraded rooms and standard suites are shown as available but the Front Desk claims none are available. The Hyatt app updates in real time (confirmed by their twitter team). And there’s no more than a 15 minute difference in rooms booked showing on the app from the hotel’s inventory. So if they claim 0 upgrades are available yet it shows multiple available that’s a big discrepancy for Globalists.

Just my two cents.
Don't disagree that there can be problems but for that matter there can be issues in many hotels across the globe.
Was in a full service Marriott last month as a Lifetime Titanium with 1000 nights and a non elite had a suite I met in the elevator (they won a free room contest)
I received a small club floor room (yawn)
Would say that I should have reached out to the hotel before my arrival as a first time guest but a suite isn't always a priority to me.
When it is I rarely depend on a front desk agent at check in that may not have leverage or seniority to do anything.The may be blocked to their eyes or told not to allocate
The bigger the hotel typically the more challenging it is.However there are those exception hotels .

Front desk agents simply on average don't have seniority/empowerment at many hotels.
Take the Hyatt Regency Honolulu I ask at the front desk and was told no suites for my entire stay
Of course the confirmable SU in advance wasn't available many months in advance and it isn't for my next years stay either.
They have managed to pull many suites and reconfigure them as part of a non upgrade-able pool (not recent)
Something went wrong with the guest room I was in and magically next day I was upgraded to a suite (not a god one either) but it took going to FO management to get things sorted
Next stay I was at the Ritz Carlton wonderful & vastly superior hotel other than their stinky overly perfumed gyms As most Ritz Carlton's go no breakfasts for top tier elites
On points the Ritz makes more sense than Hyatt on revenue Hyatt hands down
Back on topic
I will be in a Westin next week and though I called and the front desk said no suites avail
Know otherwise as I have been coming to the property since the 90s and I know inside and out the suite inventory and how far the upgrade pool will allow.
Because I am by myself and getting in super late the first night I will handle the upgrade in person for the second night and wait till I arrive as I don't have any email contacts to make the request

With rare exception I almost never depend on FD agents Twitter FT or anything else similar except FO teams.The old fashioned non social media way
I do not ever/rarely email/ call GMs either as its inappropriate unless one has a tight friendship /business relationship with the individual.
The folks that handle the upgrade pool are the ones to turn too with exceptions on some occasions
Having elite status is only one tool in the ability to upgrade and while its quite effective in a number of hotels it will never be the end all for securing
the best guest rooms or allowable suites or access to occasional VIP suites privilege

Bottom line even with my outstanding Hyatt Concierge it comes down to myself when it comes time to securing a proper upgrade.
In finishing up with approx 90 plus nights this year in just WOH not once did I walk away this year dissatisfied based on an upgrade .
My relationships and proper contacts are my key to success never demanding
anything or being rude simply and politely requesting what is important to me should it be available at all on my stay and that I appreciate it.
As a return guest I get out early if they need the room allocation for the next incoming guest
Being a good easy going cooperative returning guest goes equally as far as status and in some cases more so
Even the Andaz Maui where I used points I was upgraded to a high floor suite without even asking for one and used the best strategy I had and in that one case I won the lottery IMHO
My expectations were set very low coming in.Yet the hotel showed me they will when they can ^
Old Oct 29, 2019, 3:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by skunker
My experience back in my Diamond days were the opposite: upgraded one time to a corner room. I had to email the hotel and complain about the rooms (ripped carpet, no upgrade, etc.) before I even got that corner room.

I stopped staying there.
Suite upgrades were not guaranteed under Gold Passport. That was a WoH change, and this property adhered to the new policy every time I stayed there after it was implemented. I never got a suite as a Diamond.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.