Bonus Points Posting?

Old Jul 24, 06, 6:49 pm
wth
Original Poster

Programs: 2011 Air: AA (Plat) UA (Prem); Hotel: HGP (Dia), HH (Dia), KIT (IC); Car: HZ (PC) AF
Bonus Points Posting?

My most humblest apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere. I did a search and found nothing.

Has anyone encountered problems with the 1,500/2,000 bonus points at selected properties posting to your account? I had two recent Hyatt stays in the Chicago area and, in neither case, did the 2.000 bonus points post without a call to Hyatt. That means I'm 0-for-2. Note, I waited two weekss before calling.

Hyatt quickly added the bonus points. They told me that it is the responsibilty of someone at the property to note/request these bonus points and that sometimes they are busy and forget.

First, it is open to every GP member and doesn't require registration (unlike UA 1,500 miles, which, BTW, posted w/o problem). So why does it rely upon property input? Second, since when is the fact that a property is too busy an excuse?

The latter points are just me ranting, but has anyone had posting issues?
Old Jul 24, 06, 6:57 pm

Programs: Various Programs of Interest & LT Collector.
Often times they don't post. There are threads on this and the general advice is to ensure they are listed on your receipt at checkout. If they are they should post.

Pushing this with Hyatt might do more harm than good.

For instance; what if you forgot to sign-up for a promo at reservation? If Hyatt fixed thier systems and cracked down then you might not have a way to get these. As it is today Hyatt happily adds promotion points when you call them. Given this, I'm quite pleased with the status quo.

Originally Posted by wth
My most humblest apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere. I did a search and found nothing.

Has anyone encountered problems with the 1,500/2,000 bonus points at selected properties posting to your account? I had two recent Hyatt stays in the Chicago area and, in neither case, did the 2.000 bonus points post without a call to Hyatt. That means I'm 0-for-2. Note, I waited two weekss before calling.

Hyatt quickly added the bonus points. They told me that it is the responsibilty of someone at the property to note/request these bonus points and that sometimes they are busy and forget.

First, it is open to every GP member and doesn't require registration (unlike UA 1,500 miles, which, BTW, posted w/o problem). So why does it rely upon property input? Second, since when is the fact that a property is too busy an excuse?

The latter points are just me ranting, but has anyone had posting issues?
Old Jul 24, 06, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by wth

In THEORY, the bonus points should be requested at the same time as your reservation and if you do this, then the bonus will appear on your written confirmation.

These bonuses are not well understood by the average fron desk staffer, so it is best that you confirm them at the time of check-in and check-out.

As previously said, don't make a fuss with Hyatt or they may decide to enforce the "rules"

I think that Hyatt's view is that the objective of a PROMOTION is to cause you stay at a given property. Hyatt tend to be on the relaxed side in insisting that you "pre-register"
Old Jul 24, 06, 7:47 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM
Many properties slide an updated bill under the door the morning of checkout. If you don't see the bonus listed in the bonus section you can call the front desk and ask them to add the bonus. Then you can still use the TV checkout if you want.
Old Jul 24, 06, 7:57 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

I usually try to remind the front desk to input the bonus codes (G1,G2 etc) at check-in and verify that its in the Bonus section on the uppper right portion of the folio and if it doesn't show up remind them again at check-out.
Old Jul 24, 06, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA1k 2.9mm,AA ex-EXP,Hy Glob, Acc Plt,HH Dia,Onyx Plt,Mar LT Tit,IHG Spi,RR G,BW Dia,FPC Plt
"First, it is open to every GP member and doesn't require registration (unlike UA 1,500 miles, which, BTW, posted w/o problem). So why does it rely upon property input?"

The large majority of guests don't know about the bonuses. So, Hyatt saves a lot of points and money by not doing it automatically. Ask any desk clerk who has been around 5-10 years what percent of guests ask for a particular G1, G2, or G3 bonus and the answers you get will vary from 5% to 40%. A lot of guests don't even have a Gold passport account! And during Faster Free Night promos, a lot of guests don't pay with a MasterCard.
Old Jul 24, 06, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by kevino
And during Faster Free Night promos, a lot of guests don't pay with a MasterCard.
Ahhhhhh, say it ain't so!!!! You're killing me here!!!!
Old Jul 25, 06, 1:11 am

Programs: Various Programs of Interest & LT Collector.
If it was all automatic it may not be as effective from an ROI perspective. As you eluded, it does cost money. Indirect or directly. The purpose of promotions is to increase return for the company. Same as marketing.

So as a business why sign every one up? It doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Its like coupons. Those who value the saving will take advatage of it and if its significant enough will result in thier business. Perhaps even longer term.

But for those who don't think its worth the time to cut the coupons, or stay on top of promotions, they may just buy or stay due to the value in the product itself.

By leaving it in the current manner it enables those who value the points with more than they would likely get if everyone received them automatically.

So it works well with me in the current system.

Originally Posted by kevino
"First, it is open to every GP member and doesn't require registration (unlike UA 1,500 miles, which, BTW, posted w/o problem). So why does it rely upon property input?"

The large majority of guests don't know about the bonuses. So, Hyatt saves a lot of points and money by not doing it automatically. Ask any desk clerk who has been around 5-10 years what percent of guests ask for a particular G1, G2, or G3 bonus and the answers you get will vary from 5% to 40%. A lot of guests don't even have a Gold passport account! And during Faster Free Night promos, a lot of guests don't pay with a MasterCard.
Old Jul 25, 06, 7:22 pm
wth
Original Poster

Programs: 2011 Air: AA (Plat) UA (Prem); Hotel: HGP (Dia), HH (Dia), KIT (IC); Car: HZ (PC) AF
Confused

First of all, thanks to all for the replies. However, either I seem to be missing something or I look at this differently than most of you do.

For perspective, I am relatively new to GP (four stays since 3/06), but have been HH Diamond and SPG Platinum for several years, so I'm not new to hotel programs. And, as a Marketing professional, I understand that hotel programs factor promotional cost/returns on a projected "slippage" factor.

First, I appreciate that Hyatt does not seem to require registration for most promotions. While I understand why programs do this, it still cheeses me. having said that, I expect that if I check in with an active GP account, I expect the promotional bonus to be awarded automatically. I don't feel I should have to note G1/2/3 at time of reservation, check-in or check out.

Second, there have been a couple of references to scanning the bill for bonuses. I have reviewed both of my invoices and do not see any section that specifically states points earned let alone bonuses. All I see is a line that states "Your account (GP number) will be credited for all eligible charges.". In one case, the receipt did not even list my acct. #, but base points were awarded in a timely manner. Am I missing something here?

Finally, there were several comments that suggested that "pushing this with Hyatt would do more harm than good", or "don't make a fuss with Hyatt or they may decide to enforce the rules", or that people are happy with the status quo. I'm unclear here. I fail to see anything in the GP Bonus Points T&C that require me to do anything other than provide my GP #, request GP points and pay a "qualified rate" as defined. The underlying suggestion is that I may rock the boat. How? Again, what am I missing here?

The one thing that seems abundantly clear to me re. Hyatt's GP program. thus far, is that the only way to earn enough points for meaningful redemption is to spend an inordinate number of nights at Hyatt and/or maximize the promotional bonus points.

Last edited by wth; Jul 25, 06 at 7:25 pm Reason: Grammar
Old Jul 25, 06, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA1k 2.9mm,AA ex-EXP,Hy Glob, Acc Plt,HH Dia,Onyx Plt,Mar LT Tit,IHG Spi,RR G,BW Dia,FPC Plt
Most Hyatt receipts (especially in the U.S.) have a bonus category in the upper right above your account number. Your G1, G2, or G3 bonus and 1W (Diamond amenity) needs to show there for it to post to your account without having to call Gold Passport.

You can also earn 1k points per $100 currently by buying Hyatt gift cards.
Old Jul 30, 06, 10:39 am
wth
Original Poster

[QUOTE=wth

Finally, there were several comments that suggested that "pushing this with Hyatt would do more harm than good", or "don't make a fuss with Hyatt or they may decide to enforce the rules", or that people are happy with the status quo. I'm unclear here. I fail to see anything in the GP Bonus Points T&C that require me to do anything other than provide my GP #, request GP points and pay a "qualified rate" as defined. The underlying suggestion is that I may rock the boat. How? Again, what am I missing here?
[/QUOTE]

Thanks on the bonus section info on the invoice; I now see it. Overlooked it because it is separate from GP credit refernce and the acct. below was my credit card acct. not my GP acct.

I'm still waiting to understand the above, quoted part. I am following the rules and Hyatt is not crediting me. Again, what is the risk of raising this with Hyatt. Because I can assure you that, if it happens again, I will complain vigourously and seek point compensation for my having to follow up. Basically, Im doing what is asked of me. Hyatt is the one dropping the ball here.
Old Jul 30, 06, 11:33 am

Programs: Avis Chairman's, Hertz Au+ , IHG Au, Hyatt, Honors Au (Amex), Marriott Pt & Life Au, Accor Ag
Wth, the official Hyatt T&Cs say that one must request the promo code before or during the stay, but Hyatt CS has not enforced this. The reps will add the bonuses retroactively when we call to say that we forgot. TG1965 & Bondiboy are concerned that they may start making us prove that we did request certain bonuses properly in the first place.

OTOH, if a certain bonus is supposed 2B automatic for everyone, I, like U, see no risk in being more assertive.
Old Aug 2, 06, 7:07 pm
wth
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Brendan
Wth, the official Hyatt T&Cs say that one must request the promo code before or during the stay, but Hyatt CS has not enforced this. The reps will add the bonuses retroactively when we call to say that we forgot. TG1965 & Bondiboy are concerned that they may start making us prove that we did request certain bonuses properly in the first place.

OTOH, if a certain bonus is supposed 2B automatic for everyone, I, like U, see no risk in being more assertive.

I appreciate your response and your POV given how you understand the T&C. And, I would agree except....... I read (and just reread) the T&C for the bonus promotions (copied below) and see nothing that even remotely suggests that I need to request the promotion code. Am I still missing something?

Bonus Offers Terms and Conditions

Offers are valid at participating hotels listed. All hotel reservations are subject to availability and must be made in advance. Guest must pay an eligible rate. An “eligible rate” is any hotel published room rate, including, but not limited to the hyatt.com rate, prevailing rack rate, AAA and senior citizen rates, etc. Ineligible rates are discounted rates, including, but not limited to, any free night stays, Internet wholesale rates (such as priceline.com, hotels.com, etc.), traditional wholesale rates (such as GOGO Worldwide Vacations, Pleasant Holidays, etc.), airline crew rates, airline employee rates, travel agency employee rates, Club at the Hyatt discount certificate stays, Hyatt employee or employee rates, travel agency employee rates, airline interrupted-trip vouchers or contracted rooms (a contract room is a room that has been reserved pursuant to a written and executed agreement between a hotel and a corporation, government agency or individual for a negotiated room rate in exchange for an agreed upon number of rooms to be rented for an extended period of time).Promotional blackout periods may be in effect during certain time periods, and normal arrival/departure restrictions apply, including, but not limited to length-of-stay and close-to-arrival requirements. Additional guests may be subject to additional hotel charges. Offers are not combinable with other promotional offers. Hyatt reserves the right to alter or withdraw this program at any time. The availability of hotel stays at some destinations is subject to government approvals, regulations, restrictions and applicable taxes. Hyatt Hotels & Resorts encompasses hotels and resorts managed, franchised or leased by two separate groups of companies – Hyatt Corporation and its affiliates and affiliates of Hyatt International Corporation. © 2005 Hyatt Corp.

Gold Passport Bonus Points
Guest must choose Gold Passport points for their stay and pay an eligible rate. Only one bonus may be redeemed per member, per room, per stay. Please allow 6-8 weeks after stay for bonus points to be credited to account. Offer is subject to the normal Terms and Conditions of the Gold Passport program.
Old Aug 2, 06, 7:26 pm

When you click on "book" link from GP offers page the appropriate code will be automatically entered.

I treat this as an "offer" (as in Hyatt offers bonus and you can accept by clicking the link or by requesting it in person or you can refuse it).

Seriously, there is no need to force bonuses on guests

Search this Thread